Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4122732 times)

Da5id

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack, 40.24-r20
« Reply #3225 on: January 19, 2016, 10:53:27 pm »

I feel like never letting this save go because of the zombie changes. I like the ridiculous challenge. I spent days looking for a good dual or tri tower embark just for the deluge of undead. The only one I will welcome is if animal head skin is possible to deal with. Almost lost my fort Sunderdeep to some goblin invaders last night because my military was busy whomping on boar head skin for days, literally if someone isn't beating the skin they are sleeping in the same pile... thank Armok for sally ports equipped with trap floors that drop out from under the enemy.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: January 19, 2016, 11:20:35 pm »

I personally need tilesets and therapist at a minimum to play well. I don't really use too many of the dfhack plugins or other bells and whistles, but the ability to keep track of my dwarves when my fort is around 200 individuals is a godsend.

In that case, no need to wait - this tool (requires python) will build you a pack with graphics + therapist today.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: January 19, 2016, 11:58:41 pm »

I personally need tilesets and therapist at a minimum to play well. I don't really use too many of the dfhack plugins or other bells and whistles, but the ability to keep track of my dwarves when my fort is around 200 individuals is a godsend.

In that case, no need to wait - this tool (requires python) will build you a pack with graphics + therapist today.

Please forgive a stupid question, but how important is DFHack to a new player like me?  I don't know enough about what it does, or I'd jump at using this tool as well.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:11:16 am by Mathalor »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: January 20, 2016, 12:41:34 am »

How important is DFHack to a new player like me?  I don't know enough about what it does, or I'd jump at using this tool as well.

Important enough that I don't ship the Starter Pack until it updates - DFHack provides bugfixes, graphics upgrades, in-game tools, support for other utilities, user interface improvements, and more.  Even if you don't know it, you're using DFHack ;)
 Donations here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: January 20, 2016, 12:48:31 am »

How important is DFHack to a new player like me?  I don't know enough about what it does, or I'd jump at using this tool as well.
Even if you don't know it, you're using DFHack ;)

BAD

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: January 20, 2016, 01:22:26 am »

Thanks

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't mess with me. I'm a legendary +5 curser.
    • View Profile
CTD when placing furniture [v. 0.42.03 and .04]
« Reply #3231 on: January 20, 2016, 04:57:05 pm »

Well, after disabling the "Mouse Controls" plugin in the DFHack tab of the Starter Pack main window I didn't have any trouble with placing the forniture (although I'm still placing it with the mouse, somehow). But my testing was short and I'll not have any time to play for the next 2 or 3 days for more extended testing. If no new update comes in that period, I'll resume testing it at the weekend.
If you think dogs like socks, that's because you never met a dwarf.

Blue McRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: January 20, 2016, 05:01:16 pm »

I've been using this pack since I started playing Dwarf Fortress over a year ago, and it's about time I said thanks. I appreciate the work you put into it, PE, along with the other modders/maintainers/testers. I have actually had no issues with the bleeding edge packs so far even while using DFHack.

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: January 23, 2016, 07:38:57 am »

Hrm. Curious, if I might inquire, why is the download using DF 40.24?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: January 23, 2016, 09:20:49 am »

Because while the newer pack is close to feature parity (but not there yet), many of the important components aren't stable yet. In particular, DFHack is still in an alpha testing phase and crashes frequently for some people - and that's not good for new players. For the more experienced, there's the cutting edge pack with a separate url for now.
 Donations here.

suduko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: January 23, 2016, 02:56:40 pm »

i have read that large address aware was patched into the pack but that post was back in 2013 and i dont see laa in the changlog for recent stable and unstable vers am i just not seeing it or do they not have it yet and if they do have them how do i make sure there working.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: January 23, 2016, 05:30:09 pm »

i have read that large address aware was patched into the pack but that post was back in 2013 and i dont see laa in the changlog for recent stable and unstable vers am i just not seeing it or do they not have it yet and if they do have them how do i make sure there working.

I haven't used a patched version since 34.11, since it tends to interact badly with some other tools.
 Donations here.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: January 23, 2016, 05:32:06 pm »

I haven't used a patched version since 34.11, since it tends to interact badly with some other tools.  Be patient though, Toady is planning to try 64bit builds at the end of this release series.
 Donations here.

suduko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: January 23, 2016, 06:41:47 pm »

ah ok th

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: January 24, 2016, 08:25:10 am »

Because while the newer pack is close to feature parity (but not there yet), many of the important components aren't stable yet. In particular, DFHack is still in an alpha testing phase and crashes frequently for some people - and that's not good for new players. For the more experienced, there's the cutting edge pack with a separate url for now.
Curious, because it's been a dog's age since I've actually played the game (just check my post history, natch), is there some way to save the game without automatically exiting to the main menu? I'm having to get into the habit of frequently saving because of the DFHack stability issues in the bleeding-edge pack, but having to reload the fort every time is a mite annoying.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 385