Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4122681 times)

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack, 40.24-r20
« Reply #3240 on: January 24, 2016, 08:35:43 am »

Hrm. Curious, if I might inquire, why is the download using DF 40.24?

Because while the newer pack is close to feature parity (but not there yet), many of the important components aren't stable yet. In particular, DFHack is still in an alpha testing phase and crashes frequently for some people - and that's not good for new players. For the more experienced, there's the cutting edge pack with a separate url for now.
Curious, because it's been a dog's age since I've actually played the game (just check my post history, natch), is there some way to save the game without automatically exiting to the main menu? I'm having to get into the habit of frequently saving because of the DFHack stability issues in the bleeding-edge pack, but having to reload the fort every time is a mite annoying.
The quicksave dfhack command will do that for you. I think it's mapped to ctrl-alt-s, or maybe ctrl-shift-s. Something like that.

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't mess with me. I'm a legendary +5 curser.
    • View Profile
CTD when placing furniture [v. 0.42.03 and .04]
« Reply #3241 on: January 24, 2016, 10:57:08 am »

After a pretty consistent play-through I am confident that the crashes I was experiencing was caused by "Mouse Controls" DFHack plugin. Since disabling it on LNP's DFHack window I haven't experienced a single crash whatsoever while placing furniture with the mouse on extended play time.
If you think dogs like socks, that's because you never met a dwarf.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: January 24, 2016, 11:22:46 am »

Do the crashes occur when you run "mousequery edge disable"? What exactly are you doing when DF crashes? Does it only crash with a specific save?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: January 24, 2016, 12:31:46 pm »

Do the crashes occur when you run "mousequery edge disable"? What exactly are you doing when DF crashes? Does it only crash with a specific save?
I've never tried that, pretty much anything (building beds, examining new migrants, running military stuff), and no.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: January 24, 2016, 12:38:04 pm »

Are you using the mouse when DF crashes? Does DF crash when you press a specific key or click something?

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: January 24, 2016, 12:38:23 pm »

I've never tried that, pretty much anything (building beds, examining new migrants, running military stuff), and no.
Do you have "Mouse control" or any other hack that says mouse enabled in the dfhack tab of the launcher?

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: January 24, 2016, 01:24:36 pm »

Are you using the mouse when DF crashes? Does DF crash when you press a specific key or click something?
Sometimes, but not always; Yes, but what key is pretty much random.
Do you have "Mouse control" or any other hack that says mouse enabled in the dfhack tab of the launcher?
I can use the mouse to select things, but not the edge scrolling thing. Screws me up if I turn it on, I'm too used to controlling with the arrow keys.

Blue McRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: January 24, 2016, 03:16:38 pm »

I have had no crashes, and I don't haven't touched any of the mouse control plugins. My fort has been going six years now. I mainly use autolabor, cleanowned, and clean, plus of course the search functions, and Soundsense and Therapist.

HomelessDude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: January 24, 2016, 03:22:31 pm »

I haven't used a patched version since 34.11, since it tends to interact badly with some other tools.  Be patient though, Toady is planning to try 64bit builds at the end of this release series.

Would you mind explaining a bit to a noob like me, if it is not too much trouble, what the major benefits/differences are of the 64bit build.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: January 24, 2016, 03:35:11 pm »

I haven't used a patched version since 34.11, since it tends to interact badly with some other tools.  Be patient though, Toady is planning to try 64bit builds at the end of this release series.

Would you mind explaining a bit to a noob like me, if it is not too much trouble, what the major benefits/differences are of the 64bit build.
There are some capabilities that become available with 64-bit, but Toady would need to code for them specifically and lose compatibility (feature parity) with the 32-bit version.  However, 64-bit does come with the a souped-up equivalent of Large Address Aware for free.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: January 24, 2016, 04:12:50 pm »

There isn't anything gameplay-related that would become possible with a 64-bit build that isn't possible already (if that's what you're talking about).

I still have no idea how to reproduce whatever crashes are happening. I've tried placing furniture with the keyboard and mouse, in planning mode and normally, etc., and still haven't gotten it to crash. I can't think of any building-related changes in 0.42 that would cause this to start happening randomly instead of not at all (in 0.40), so I don't even know if it's building-related.

Are any of you using truetype fonts?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: January 24, 2016, 04:55:00 pm »

I've "always" had trouble with DF enhanced by DFHack being prone to crashing while panning (I'm always using the keyboard). However, I've never seen any pattern to it, just that crashes happen more frequently when doing that while paused than just watching it run. The benefits provided by DFHack outweighs the disadvantages of the increased crashing frequency for me, however. I'm using the Phoebus tile set with TWBT (and not TrueType).

As Dirst indicated, a 64 bit version would be able to run a 16*16 embark (extremely slowly, I would expect), while the 32 bit version will crash because it can't address more memory around 6*6 or so. 64 bits basically "never" runs out of memory addresses (but physical memory can still be a limiting factor). Thus, a 64 bit DF is an enabler for more stuff, rather than providing anything in itself (an analogy (slightly artificial) might be to upgrade a train to use a stronger engine with the same acceleration and speed characteristics. If you don't add extra wagons to it you don't get anything out of it, but you CAN add extra wagons as the next step).

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: January 24, 2016, 05:19:21 pm »

Maybe it's TwbT crashing, then? That's about the only thing I can think of that affects map display. There's "resume", I suppose, but I use that and don't use TwbT and I've never had a crash while panning, playing pretty much exclusively with DFHack.

I do know what 64-bit builds involve. I was referring to this part specifically, which sounds to me like it's referring to features that can't be implemented in a 32-bit build, and I can't think of any that directly impact the game content (e.g. there are some additional ways to optimize 64-bit builds, but that wouldn't break compatibility with 32-bit ones).
There are some capabilities that become available with 64-bit, but Toady would need to code for them specifically and lose compatibility (feature parity) with the 32-bit version.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: January 24, 2016, 05:46:33 pm »

Think I figured it out. It's happened three more times, every time after I've put down an order for a bunch of buildings to be made. Pressing a button after putting in however many and unpausing the game causes a CTD

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't mess with me. I'm a legendary +5 curser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: January 24, 2016, 06:19:42 pm »

Will re-enable mouse control and try to run that.

It crashes when I click the left mouse button to place the furniture. Will also try another save ans see if it also crashes.
If you think dogs like socks, that's because you never met a dwarf.

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 385