Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4110063 times)

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #4080 on: January 01, 2017, 11:53:18 am »

I'm a complete noob when it comes to Dwarf Fortress, and have only played it using this starter pack. I've come across a problem, and I've no idea what's causing it.

For some reason I can't brew. What I want to do is brew from plump helmets, but when I go into the Still to add a task the option is colored in red, as pictured here. After choosing it, I get this screen. I have no idea what it means or what I'm supposed to do...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: January 01, 2017, 12:01:48 pm »

First, this sort of question suits better DF Q&A.

Second, empty food storage item being in red means you don't have pot or barrel to store booze in. You need to
a) produce more, at either craftsdwarf for rock or wooden pots, with fuel and clay at kiln for clay pots (that normally need to be glazed with ash after, unless you use fire clay or kaolinite) or with fuel and ore at forge for metal ones. Alternatively, you can also produce wood and metal barrels, which will weight thrice as much, but wooden barrels are made at the carpenter's workshop, thus training more useful skill.
b) Go into stockpile menu and use * so that the new barrels aren't immediately stolen away to a food stockpile to store solids in - you probably painted a large food stockpile, and then it grabbed any barrel that was emptied from booze to hold in meat, fruit, plant, fish, flour, etc.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: January 01, 2017, 12:20:27 pm »

First, this sort of question suits better DF Q&A.

Second, empty food storage item being in red means you don't have pot or barrel to store booze in. You need to
a) produce more, at either craftsdwarf for rock or wooden pots, with fuel and clay at kiln for clay pots (that normally need to be glazed with ash after, unless you use fire clay or kaolinite) or with fuel and ore at forge for metal ones. Alternatively, you can also produce wood and metal barrels, which will weight thrice as much, but wooden barrels are made at the carpenter's workshop, thus training more useful skill.
b) Go into stockpile menu and use * so that the new barrels aren't immediately stolen away to a food stockpile to store solids in - you probably painted a large food stockpile, and then it grabbed any barrel that was emptied from booze to hold in meat, fruit, plant, fish, flour, etc.

Yeah I was unsure where to post, sorry.

Thanks for the help, that was indeed the problem. I went ahead and made a few wooden barrels and I'm now brewing successfully. :)

Dunfee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: January 01, 2017, 12:54:11 pm »

As much as I can't wait for a 43.05 release (especially if is a 64 bit one) I am really happy you folks are putting in this work. It really is a thankless job and I would have never played dwarf fortress if it wasn't for LNP.

Will your eventual 43.05 release contain dwarf therapist? Last time I checked there was a lot of work to do there and I think its one of the more important things in the pack

Thanks  :D  (and happy new year!)

News yesterday - Mifki has an test 43.05 64bit Windows build (for dhack alpha3), but doesn't plan to work on 32bit TwbT.  Therapist development has shown some small signs of life lately, but it's probably going to take longer for 64bit support (source: wild guessing only).

If I have to choose, I'll be going with 64bit + TwbT rather than 32bit + Therapist - I'd still make at least one 32bit release, but I don't want to maintain two versions of the pack.  However, DFHack has a number of very nice options that (while not identical) can largely replace Therapist.  Enabling autolabor or manipulator are good places to start.

I would totally learn manipulator if it meant I got a 64 bit version sooner!
Is there a newsletter or anything we can sign up for to know when new packs get made available? Usually I just check this thread

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: January 01, 2017, 06:42:21 pm »

It's great to hear that people like my plan :P

You can make an account on DFFD (where the file is hosted), and get email notifications by watching the file.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

jmlm123

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: January 02, 2017, 02:33:04 pm »

64bit + TwbT    +1  :D

natemiddleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: January 06, 2017, 03:29:56 pm »

Using the default graphics pack, in the creature_large_mountain.txt file, the CREATURE:GNOME_MOUNTAIN is missing several "[" brackets.

SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:FINGER:NAIL]
       PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:NAIL]
         TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:100:100:100:100:100:100:100]
            APP_MOD_RATE:1:DAILY:0:1000:0:0:NO_END]

Not sure if this is a problem with official version or just this graphics pack, but I came across this while finishing up my mod.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: January 07, 2017, 08:03:02 pm »

Crashes on embark, as soon as I confirm on the flavor text screen (immediately after selecting embark supplies).

Using gemset pack.

I'll try again with all dfhack options disabled.

Works with all dfhack options disabled.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:09:47 pm by mross »

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: January 08, 2017, 03:59:27 am »

By the way, I usually use phoebus graphics pack with LNP. Recently I find the floor colors are not quite the same with the default ascii, for example, gneisis and mudstone are both gray in phoebus, while the latter should be light brown. If I want to fix that, what do I need to change?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: January 08, 2017, 04:36:49 am »

FYI, Armok Vision has been updated, for when you make a new version.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: January 08, 2017, 05:03:13 am »

FYI, Armok Vision has been updated, for when you make a new version.

Thanks :)  My tooling has picked it up already!  http://peridexiserrant.neocities.org/starter-pack.log.txt
 Donations here.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: January 09, 2017, 12:35:47 pm »

If I have to choose, I'll be going with 64bit + TwbT rather than 32bit + Therapist - I'd still make at least one 32bit release, but I don't want to maintain two versions of the pack.  However, DFHack has a number of very nice options that (while not identical) can largely replace Therapist.  Enabling autolabor or manipulator are good places to start.

Go all out on 64 bit ASAP I'd say!
And the sooner you release a new version the sooner Toady will release a new version making everything incompatible again :)

It's great to hear that people like my plan :P

I also think this is wise, It seems likely that over time all tools will need to move over to the 64-bit version anyway.
A concerted effort from the community to preferentially support that version with utilities seems logical to minimise the effort required to bring the most complete toolset to the greatest number of players.

Also many thanks for diligently keeping the pack going all these years (and also to all the developers and maintainers of the many fantastic utilities around now); I've had/still have precious little time for DF during my studies, but major game updates and utility improvements draw me back in from time to time, which wouldn't be possible without the huge convenience this pack provides. I still keep up with a few forum threads looking for an excuse to jump back in when I have time.
PyLNP is also looking great, I've never been happier to see a program I worked on (the old VB LNP) become depreciated. I'm very glad these essential tools are in good hands.

Finally, is there a guide somewhere on installing mods with PyLNP and which are compatible? I've been loosely keeping up with the development thread but was unsure if this feature is complete/stable and what the capabilities are?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:38:20 pm by daveralph1234 »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: January 09, 2017, 06:47:51 pm »

Many thanks for diligently keeping the pack going all these years (and also to all the developers and maintainers of the many fantastic utilities around now); I've had/still have precious little time for DF during my studies, but major game updates and utility improvements draw me back in from time to time, which wouldn't be possible without the huge convenience this pack provides. I still keep up with a few forum threads looking for an excuse to jump back in when I have time.
PyLNP is also looking great, I've never been happier to see a program I worked on (the old VB LNP) become depreciated. I'm very glad these essential tools are in good hands.

Finally, is there a guide somewhere on installing mods with PyLNP and which are compatible? I've been loosely keeping up with the development thread but was unsure if this feature is complete/stable and what the capabilities are?

Thanks!  It made my day to hear that you approve of how things are going  :D

The PyLNP docs could certainly be better about this, but basically you just drop a mod into 'LNP/Mods/$MOD_NAME'.  PyLNP will add a mods tab on next start, and you drag them into your desired load order.  Compatibility... I've tried to give pretty conservative feedback by coloring the merged mods in the list; ultimately it's done by a three-way line by line merge which doesn't understand structure at all - so either one big mod or a few small ones.  Feature is considered stable, but at beta-quality because results vary; the 'do it properly' issue has been open for several years now.

Have fun, and thanks for making the early days of this pack possible!
 Donations here.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: January 09, 2017, 11:17:51 pm »

By the way, I usually use phoebus graphics pack with LNP. Recently I find the floor colors are not quite the same with the default ascii, for example, gneisis and mudstone are both gray in phoebus, while the latter should be light brown. If I want to fix that, what do I need to change?

In the file inorganic_stone_layer.txt, find the heading [INORGANIC:GNEISS]

For Phoebus: [DISPLAY_COLOR:7:6:1]  --> (43.03)

For vanilla: [DISPLAY_COLOR:7:7:1] --> (43.05)

I think that should do it.

But I suspect you will have to change it both in the game's raw folder, as well as in all the savegame raw folders. Or at least the savegames you care about...

tucker0993

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: January 10, 2017, 05:29:12 am »

So, I'm having an issue downloading this. My antivirus keeps deleting all of the files after i download and install the program, is there a work around available or is it just my antivirus being stupid? thanks for the help
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 385