Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4108984 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #4260 on: March 27, 2017, 10:48:29 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.msg7386594#msg7386594

this one...
and the original 2 websites that the author gives on the original post.

so is the latest version posted here. :(
There are many links in the first post. There's http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622, http://df.wicked-code.com/, http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=8687, and http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11309, all of which are download links. The last two are for DF versions released in 2012 and 2015, which are probably not what you want. It's really, really helpful if you can specify the exact link where you got it from. Not "the link", not "the original website", not "the latest version", etc.

Anyway, which file are you trying to open that isn't working? "PyLNP.exe" or something else? If so, is there anything in the "stderr.txt" file in the same folder (or in the DF folder)?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: March 27, 2017, 02:53:55 pm »

Is anyone else getting somewhat frequent crashes with the experimental 43.05 version? Always on some keypress, which makes me think I'm somehow accidentally telling the game to close. I had dfhack on but none of the hacks in the launcher highlighted except multi z level view, and didn't use it for anything but digvx on ore veins.

I was playing in a pregenned world possibly made on 43.03 so it might've been that though...

To chime in on this, I have what seems to be the same problem. It's always been on a keypress, usually the arrow or numpad keys but that seems incidental, given that those are the keys I'm using the most anyway. Seems to happen on any screen, on both adventure mode and fortress mode. I'll upload stderr.log tomorrow night, if I can replicate the crash.
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.

kingofthehour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: March 27, 2017, 08:53:07 pm »

In the LNP there is a option labeled "Population Cap".  Will it update my population cap if i set it in the middle of a fort?  What if I change my Population Cap just before embark, will it change then? 

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: March 27, 2017, 10:56:49 pm »

To those experiencing crashes: unfortunately I don't know why this is, but if you can upload a save and steps to reproduce the crash that would help a lot.  Please also check if you can cause the crash with DFHack disabled.

In the LNP there is a option labeled "Population Cap".  Will it update my population cap if i set it in the middle of a fort?  What if I change my Population Cap just before embark, will it change then?
Yep - it takes effect next time you start DF.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

GainesvilleGuy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: March 28, 2017, 04:28:22 pm »

Quick question:

I was about to upgrade to the latest version from a few months ago but I noticed the Announcement Window utility has been dropped.  I kind of relied on that to keep track of what was going on, but it doesn't seem like many miss it (or at least there are no requests to re-add it).

Just curious if maybe I'm missing something in vanilla game that helps keep you informed?  How does everybody else keep on top of all the events/messages?

Thanks!

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: March 28, 2017, 08:24:33 pm »

Quick question:

I was about to upgrade to the latest version from a few months ago but I noticed the Announcement Window utility has been dropped.  I kind of relied on that to keep track of what was going on, but it doesn't seem like many miss it (or at least there are no requests to re-add it).

Just curious if maybe I'm missing something in vanilla game that helps keep you informed?  How does everybody else keep on top of all the events/messages?

Thanks!

+1
The Soundsense cmd window does a lot of logging, although it isn't the announcement window it's better than nothing.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: March 28, 2017, 11:56:59 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.msg7386594#msg7386594

this one...
and the original 2 websites that the author gives on the original post.

so is the latest version posted here. :(

When you run the "Starter Pack Launcher (PyLNP).exe" does it create a "stderr.txt" file?

My first run "stderr.txt" creates and contains:
Code: [Select]
Running PyLNP 0.12a (OS: win, Compiled: True)
WARNING: JSONConfiguration: File PyLNP.user does not exist
Then on exit it creates the "PyLNP.user" file that it complains about.

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: March 29, 2017, 01:39:31 pm »

regarding the crashes:

I've uploaded my entire DF folder https://www.dropbox.com/s/pklpwst9ruxaeot/panzerbeard%20DF%20Starter%20Pack%20Crashing%20.7z?dl=0

it's the Region 4 save I've been playing most frequently, so all the crashes I've experienced were on that.

I should note, since uploading I've tried changing the print mode from TWBT to Standard, and it's actually been stable since then. It could be co-incidence, I only had about an hour and a half to test it, but it's worth mentioning.
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: March 29, 2017, 05:26:51 pm »

All right, in addition to the specific keys you're pressing, I'm going to need to know exactly which screen you're on when you press them. My guess is that some DFHack keybinding is crashing, but I don't know if it's one implemented by a plugin hooking in (e.g. the red ones that appear on-screen) or a "keybinding" command that gets run on startup (e.g. in dfhack.init).

I think if you can upload your "stderr.log" file from the DF folder (next to Dwarf Fortress.exe on Windows, not stderr.txt), that should be enough for me to determine what keybindings from the "keybinding" command are active.

Edit: if you can upload your stderr.log from right after DF crashing (don't start DF again before uploading it), that would be even better, since DFHack might log the command that it attempted to run.

Just a sidenote, LNP/the new version of DF isn't what's causing the crashes, it's definitely DFhack (or at least automatic keybindings somehow). I've been able to play the game for hours straight without crashing once I disabled DFhack, but with it enabled I get frequent enough crashes that I just restart the game with it enabled whenever I want to do something with it (usually designating a bunch of veins with digv and cleaning units and items).

I looked at stderr.log multiple times after crashing, and it always says the same thing. I don't see any other files that give any info on the crashes. Here's what stderr.log says right after the game crashes, but it says the same thing all the time:
"FirstCall()
Initized HOOKS!"

I don't have dfhack settings on anything but the default (and in LNP launching everything is disabled), so it's something in the default settings that is causing the crashes. It's definitely from keypresses, every single time there's a crash it happens on the press of a button. I can't exactly remember what buttons, but it seems to happen whenever I go to a dwarf and press "P" to look at his preferences and adjust his labors (since I don't know how to enable/disable just hauling with dwarf therapist). So somewhere along the way of pressing "p" on a dwarf, then "L" to look at it's labors, it crashes (but not every time). I think it's crashed other times. I don't know much about dfhack, where can I find the default keybinds so I can disable them? I also want to know how to disable the mouse from interacting with the game completely when dfhack is on.
I like sushi.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: March 29, 2017, 06:09:55 pm »

Part of the issue is that I haven't gotten that many crashes due to DFHack, so I don't have any idea what the issue is. Keep in mind that you're using a LNP, whose defaults are probably different from DFHack's defaults.

I looked at stderr.log multiple times after crashing, and it always says the same thing. I don't see any other files that give any info on the crashes. Here's what stderr.log says right after the game crashes, but it says the same thing all the time:
"FirstCall()
Initized HOOKS!"
Is this really all that's in stderr.log? I need the entire file, so if it's just logging those two lines, something is seriously wrong. Maybe it wasn't clear that the most recent stuff is at the bottom of the file (but I really do need the entire file, because it lists all of the "keybinding" commands that were run, among other things).

I don't know much about dfhack, where can I find the default keybinds so I can disable them? I also want to know how to disable the mouse from interacting with the game completely when dfhack is on.
They should be in dfhack.init, but your pack might put them somewhere else. As for disabling the mouse completely, there are a few mouse features in vanilla DF that I don't think you can disable. The "mousequery" plugin is probably what you want to disable for everything else.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Shackram

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: March 29, 2017, 06:35:12 pm »

I'm having a strange issue with the launcher on 043.03-r9, when i tell pylnp.exe to launch, it just doesn't.

It doesn't give an error message and it doesn't even write the log file, it's like i never launched it. Disabling the antivirus doesn't help, neither does running as admin.

Then i tried older versions i have laying around that used to work, and they have the same issue. Using Win 7 64bit.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: March 29, 2017, 11:30:19 pm »

I'm having a strange issue with the launcher on 043.03-r9, when i tell pylnp.exe to launch, it just doesn't.

It doesn't give an error message and it doesn't even write the log file, it's like i never launched it. Disabling the antivirus doesn't help, neither does running as admin.

Then i tried older versions i have laying around that used to work, and they have the same issue. Using Win 7 64bit.

I suspect antivirus, especially given that the old version have stopped working.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #4272 on: March 30, 2017, 10:13:05 am »

Quick question:

Thanks!

Announcement Window's methods of getting the updates from memory were causing almost all of the false positive virus scan alerts for the pack so for simplicity it got dropped.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: March 30, 2017, 10:23:55 am »

Quick question:

Thanks!

Announcement Window's methods of getting the updates from memory were causing almost all of the false positive virus scan alerts for the pack so for simplicity it got dropped.
No. Announcement Window reads announcements from gamelog.txt, which is a text file in the DF folder. Reading from files is perfectly normal.

The issue I remember with AV software was the way Announcement Window was packaged (essentially a bunch of python files bundled into an executable that extracts part of itself, which could look suspicious). It's worth noting that this is the same way PyLNP is packaged, which also caused a lot of AV false positives, but PyLNP was deemed more important.

Shackram

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: March 30, 2017, 10:27:44 am »

I suspect antivirus, especially given that the old version have stopped working.

It's possible, this latest version of Avast! that came out a couple weeks ago is kind of weird.

DF itself and DF hack work fine, whatever is happening affects just the launcher. I did whitelist the folders and try with the AV disabled but no luck. I'll uninstall the AV fully and try again later.

EDIT: I uninstalled Avast and the launcher launches the first time, but closes down after a few seconds and then it behaves like i described, not opening anymore even if i reboot my PC. Guessing something is fucked up on my win 7 install.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:05:49 pm by Shackram »
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 385