Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 51

Author Topic: BM XLI: On Wings of Haven -- Scum Victory!  (Read 96103 times)

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLI: Behind Enemy Lines -- Experimental Setup
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2013, 07:31:32 am »

This sounds like a fine setup.  One question though.  When a jail keeper role blocks somebody, does it keep that person from being killed in the night?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2013, 07:36:26 am »

yes
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2013, 08:03:17 am »

This sounds like a fine setup.  One question though.  When a jail keeper role blocks somebody, does it keep that person from being killed in the night?
Yeah - it's like a doctor and a roleblocker combined into one.  The usual flavour is that you barricade their door (although it doesn't prevent cop inspections).

It should be noted that the Jailkeeper isn't told if their action did anything, and neither is the target (although cops will know if they're blocked because they won't get a result).

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2013, 11:18:39 am »

I'm not sure which version of mafia i'm thinking of when people say jailer. could someone confirm if this is right for what it can do?

Jailer is pro-town, and has a single-target night action, which it can use as many times at it wants, but only once per night.
Jailer's night action prevents anyone else from acting on their target, including cops, redirectors, etc. for the duration of the night.
Jailer's night action prevents their target from performing any night actions whatsoever for the duration of the night.
Jailer gets a private chat with the person they have jailed for the duration of the night.
Jailer is anonymous in this private chat.

is this correct?
Yeah, like Leafsnail said, point 2 is wrong. The jailer only prevents kills, a cop could still get an inspect result on a jailed player.

Question 1: If the jailer targets his killer, does it stop the kill?
Question 2: If the jailer targets the cop, and scum kill the jailer, is the cop blocked?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2013, 12:06:07 pm »

Typically, roleblocks happen first (otherwise what was the point) so I would rule:

1:  Yes.
2:  Yes.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2013, 12:11:26 pm »

Kills never stop actions from happening (except inspects I guess).

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2013, 12:15:29 pm »

Not for my games- it's always funny to send "Target is Mafia.  You are dead." to players.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2013, 01:16:06 pm »

That's what always happened :P

But still, there isn't an action-time list or something like that set down?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2013, 02:40:04 pm »

As far as I know, not for BMs. I always had to contrive that when I ran mine, some time ago.

You could always just go with Natural Action Resolution.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2013, 03:35:19 pm »

That's exactly what I was thinking of. Under NAR, a kill would stop a roleblock, as actions are processed in an order that allows everything a chance to affect everything else.

I think the two questions I asked are the most important corner cases to work out.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2013, 03:39:12 pm »

That's exactly what I was thinking of. Under NAR, a kill would stop a roleblock, as actions are processed in an order that allows everything a chance to affect everything else.

I think the two questions I asked are the most important corner cases to work out.

No, it wouldn't. Read the clause below that, which says this: "Killing doesn't stop the actions of the dead player."

And that's how it should work.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2013, 04:01:15 pm »

Oh hey, how about that. Nifty.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2013, 04:10:16 pm »

Well, it makes sense that regardless of the state of the jail keeper, be it dead, alive, or stupid, that the roleblock would still work.  The barricade wouldn't suddenly disappear as soon the jailkeeper died.

I also move that the DM start the game and let us newbies blunder around over the weekend to learn what the heck we're doing.  Even if we can't have adult supervision. :-) I think that it would help us learn and possibly make a better decision when it comes to lynching time the first day.  Pretty much, why don't we make the first day super long?  We already have everyone.

P.S.  can  you guys see my avatar?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 05:54:04 pm by griffinpup »

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2013, 05:56:18 pm »

A second the motion to start the game. I think I qualify as adult supervision.

Also, no, I can't see your avatar. It must be hiding.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2013, 05:57:28 pm »

All right, I'll in as an IC.  Where do you want me?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 51