Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Welcome to World Zorgard! It is game...  (Read 1240 times)

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
Welcome to World Zorgard! It is game...
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:45:26 pm »

*Ahem* Let's get ourself into right mood first. If you don't want or not need to, just scroll somewhere bottom. Anyway...

It is year 1979 and you have got it. After months of hard work mowing lawns of those creepy oldies, suffering from hay fever, angry bees, lousy payments and occasionally rabid poodles you have got it. Even from dickish shopkeeper and those noisy customers who were taking all time at counter, only to realizing they are in wrong shop. You have survived them. On your way into home blind cars drivers, those bikers who aren't watching were they are going, raining, bullies after you and more rabid poodles. You have survived them. Attack of communist super mutant apes with chainguns and nuclear missiles, knifenut blondes and yet more poodles, you have survived.

As you drag yourself into home after escaping from ambulance, those are only flesh wounds after all, you go right into your computer. Small blackout from Soviet nuclear strike won't stop you as you have constructed reactor from all that fallout stuff. Minor radiation isn't going stop you. With shaking hands and your lifes escaping from you, you it put into computer. The diskette you were protecting so hard. You wait as your computer is loading...

APPLE ][

]
ERROR #8

Welcome to World Zorgard!

Yes, you need Apple II emulator to play this ^^ It is small practice game that I programmed sometime ago. Very small and simple. Hm, should I explain it. Dungeon crawling, killing stuff, trying stay alive while dying lots of. Inspired by, well, yes, Akalabeth. Sure, why not? Oh, and there is some text from my friend. Probably noticed from different writing style. Otherwise doned 99% by me...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to World Zorgard! It is game...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:51:13 pm »

Does it require arrow keys, or can the keys be remapped?

If the latter, I can play it on my smartphone, which has a slide out keyboard. Otherwise, I have to wait to play with it. (For some reason, phone makers don't comprehend that real hardcore users who relish hardware keyboards really, honestly do want arrow keys, and view "phone with HW keyboard" as being "for text messaging!" And not "really small computer keyboard!")

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:20:18 pm »

Well, the good news is that it DOES work in CandyApple, an android apple][e emulator, but the requirement for both arrow keys and letter keys, without any documentation for how to play, makes it kinda hard to use on my phone.

It DOES boot and run though.

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:51:55 pm »

Wait, there is Apple emulator for as smartphones?

Anyway, keys. Not sure about arrow keys, but i'll say no and yes. Game is resempling ones programmed for older models of Apple II and as far I know there wasn't arrow keys for them. Well, at least arrows aren't working if one is emulating newer Apple IIs and playing oldest ones. Either way I can say one thing surely. For computer emulate Apple II+ and use arrows to move. Otherwise key commands are like:
A)ttack
C)ast a spell
E)nter to place.
G)et.
K)limb ladder (yes, klimb).
P)ass a turn.
W)ield weapon.
Z)tats (yes, you see right).
Also you may want keep caps off. As for remapping, nope. Unless your emulator have one.

Yes, manual is kind of lacking, but you can blame it on my lazy busy partner. I am programmer, not a manual writer! Duh...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 09:01:45 pm »

Yes. There are free apple 1 and apple ][ e emulators for the android platform. (POM1 and cAndyApple, respectively.) 

Amusingly, the iOS platform's "native code only" restriction means those applications are android only, so no apple emulation on apple devices.

CandyApple let's you emulate the apple][ trackball, and 2 diskette drives, with full color support, so it appears to support some ][gs features, but don't quote me on that. I haven't investigated it too far. Just that your game does run on it.

Again, the lack of arrow keys is a PITA when using smartphones. The emulator does have a softkey emulation option for use with android tablets that lack HW keyboards.

Other emulators available for android devices are AtariST, and IBM PC (386 era with vga and soundblaster.) 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:13:18 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 10:00:03 pm »

Ok!

Let's Play Zorgard!

First up, the title screen after a funny bootup message "hope this still works!".

That's right folks, a new record for developer hell! 1979 to 2013! Almost 34 years in development!

Next, the character generation screens. First it asks us for a lucky number, to initialize the random number generator. I like 255. It's a good, wholesome round number. Judging from the stats it rolled for me, the game agrees!

It then asks if I want to be a Fighter, Thief, of a Mage.  I chose fighter.

Oh look! Shopping time! I spend all that startup money on some food, a dagger, and a shield.

After blowing all that initial startup kickstarter money, I embark into the world...

Sadly, I suck so bad at this game, that even with a sweet, tricked out and improbable start with good stats, that I die shortly afterwards.

This concludes this Let's Play session! Tune in some other time for somebody that actually knows how to play! LOL

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 11:26:49 pm »

That's right folks, a new record for developer hell! 1979 to 2013! Almost 34 years in development!

Well, how to say this... First develoment "team" was born too late. Secondary there all kind of hassle, like learning how to use toilet and such. Then.. then.. there was school! Even after over ten year of other kind of hassle, schedule slippings, lack of tools, lack of manuals for them, lack of... So, yeah... Also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Duh...