- 11 (78.6%)
Two
- 3 (21.4%)
None
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: May 19, 2013, 09:23:48 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: Glloyd Makes A Map! -From the Darkness, A Map!  (Read 24361 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Glloyd Makes A Map!
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 12:45:30 am »

unless we get an autolathe. Then we are fine. well, excepting materials. same for robotics but we need other things too.
Like tazers...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 01:35:09 am »

Posting to keep track of this thread.

PTW, Also my little tad of input;
There's a couple professions on the current station that are absurdly in the open which makes it impossible for antags to ever really utilize their unique items.  I'd like to see say, chemistry and botany a little less 'in plain sight'  I mean why does botany need full on picture windows to the main hallway, and while I can see there being a need for a chemistry lab to act as a pharmacy, it's also got some dangerous aspects like potential mis-mixing of chemicals that creates a fire cloud.  So perhaps it shouldn't be in open view of the busiest intersection on the whole station?
Um... botany has an entire room to itself in the back. Chemistry though, you've got a point.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:37:51 am by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 01:37:07 am »

<ignore>
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2013, 03:07:06 am »

Security seems pretty central in that design. I always thought that sec was in such a corner of the station for balance? I'm also very interested in helping if you need help.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2013, 06:05:19 am »

I like Escape and Arrivals being close together on one side of the station, kinda like Arrivals/Departures on airports.

I also like Command as it is positioned on D#1.

On the other hand R&D and Medbay MUST be close to each other, since Genetics is both Medbay and R&D and R&D depends on Chemistry heavily - if they have to run around half the station to get a beaker of Sulfric Acid, NT would need to hire professional marathon runners as their scientists.

How about plopping Security on the other side of the station from Command? I mean, kind of a + shape.

Also, if you are worried about a single hallway being crucial, how about making two parallel hallways with Primary Tool Storage in between, along with, say, a mini-Bar/lounge along the lines of what we have in Arrivals?

Also: remember that Chapel, Cargo, Xenobio and Virology, for various reasons, should stick out into SPESS.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2013, 06:15:49 am »

I support a dual-hallway with things that can have 2 exits in the middle. A bar that you can walk trough, primary tool storage. Hell, you could even remove the walls of the bar in an airport-esque way.

Like this:

Code: [Select]
|
+===
|
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:26:10 am by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2013, 09:18:02 am »

I keep sorta making maps...
Only thing is i make them on graph paper where one square=one tile so...
small maps...

Plus they dont work all that well...

Tape multiple pieces of graph paper together. Now you have all the space required.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2013, 10:01:32 am »

Because it seems like diagram #1 is winning, I'm going to redraw it and take people's suggestions into mind. Also make it more detailed. Posting it shortly.

It is here, and on the OP. The red lines represent maintenance tunnels. They're not done for the central areas because I'm still unsure of the exact layout of those areas. Also, the central hallways that converge on the garden/rest area would all be 2 tiles wide, where the main hallways would remain three tiles wide.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: The only thing I'm REALLY unsure about is having the AI in that area. It'd still be semi in space, but I dunno how much that area makes sense.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:56:12 am by Glloyd »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2013, 10:53:30 am »

More solars and i like it.

BIG solars. REALLY BIG ones.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2013, 11:15:38 am »

Possibly have the AI extended off the station near R&D or command? Like, a hallway leading to the upload and AI chamber.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2013, 11:19:17 am »

Yeah, I rather like that. The Chapel won't have a mass driver if it's in the middle of the station, but I guess one could easily be put in elsewhere.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:21:13 am by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2013, 11:35:07 am »

Yeah, I rather like that. The Chapel won't have a mass driver if it's in the middle of the station, but I guess one could easily be put in elsewhere.

Yeah. I was thinking I'd put it near escape, and have Chapel right across the hall. A kind of "Funeral Area"

Possibly have the AI extended off the station near R&D or command? Like, a hallway leading to the upload and AI chamber.

I like it. Probably near RD works better in terms of space. We'll see as it goes along, that'll be something I leave until closer to the end though, when everything is laid out.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:37:07 am by Glloyd »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2013, 11:54:55 am »

Hydro/Bar/Kitchen area could have some maintenance tunnels somewhere, I think.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2013, 11:57:38 am »

It is here, and on the OP. The red lines represent maintenance tunnels. They're not done for the central areas because I'm still unsure of the exact layout of those areas. Also, the central hallways that converge on the garden/rest area would all be 2 tiles wide, where the main hallways would remain three tiles wide.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2013, 12:00:33 pm »

I figured i'd sketch up what I meant by my suggestion of a "spindly" station:  I didn't put much thought into what is where, i just like the aesthetic of a station pieced together from modules that needed to fit inside a rocket, making them long and narrow.  You'd want to balance out the spatial seperation of the modules perhaps with having standard mini airlocks on the sides of each module, so antags could expose themselves to space breifly without a hardsuit to move from module to module.

I think what i like about this type of setup is that space and exposure to it is a much more present thing.  This type of map has lots of opportunities for people to use empty space without having to trek all the way around the station.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22