- 11 (78.6%)
Two
- 3 (21.4%)
None
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: May 19, 2013, 09:23:48 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: Glloyd Makes A Map! -From the Darkness, A Map!  (Read 24531 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glloyd Makes A Map!
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2013, 12:01:52 pm »

Move the NE solar up all the way and maybe point it the same way as the bomb range, but off that NE corner of the station. Put the AI where that solar was and make a 2-3 long corridor with reinforced glass windows leading to it. The AI would then be completely out in space and the windows should be safe from meteors because the AI rooms will overshadow them. When the singu escapes it may take out the AI and if an antag has done their job right in Command the shuttle autocall will be triggered.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2013, 12:26:04 pm »

@Vactor: I see little oppertunity for maintenance tunnels there, catching a traitor would be very, very easy and there's no places to hide from the AI. Would probably require a change of how SS13 works at the moment, really.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2013, 01:07:36 pm »

I had a thought that you might want to rotate the whole thing 90º to the right or left, so that those nice "Space Station 13" floor tiles could be placed in front of the bridge.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2013, 01:28:40 pm »

I had a thought that you might want to rotate the whole thing 90º to the right or left, so that those nice "Space Station 13" floor tiles could be placed in front of the bridge.

Or I could just redo the icons for Glloyd.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2013, 01:30:07 pm »

But then it would be sideways.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2013, 09:09:48 pm »

But then it would be sideways.

I was going to rotate it. It was nagging at me during work. Most icons are designed for north south as opposed to east/west anyways. ALTHOUGH, if you guys care enough, I'm sure the icons could be changed to read "Urist McStation" hahaha.

Move the NE solar up all the way and maybe point it the same way as the bomb range, but off that NE corner of the station. Put the AI where that solar was and make a 2-3 long corridor with reinforced glass windows leading to it. The AI would then be completely out in space and the windows should be safe from meteors because the AI rooms will overshadow them. When the singu escapes it may take out the AI and if an antag has done their job right in Command the shuttle autocall will be triggered.

I like it. Sounds like a much better place for it.

@Vactor: I'd love to have a map like that, mainly because of how cool it looks, but gameplay-wise, it just wouldn't work out. First off, piping, wiring and disposals would be a nightmare. In addition, no maintenance tunnels messes with the MULES. It would also make life much harder for traitors, considering how spaced apart the modules would be. Being the lone janitor over at the atmos corner? Everyone would know what's up.

EDIT: I'm working on the map now. I figured I'd start with arrivals, and go from there. Pics soon.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:32:50 pm by Glloyd »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2013, 05:48:48 am »

Since everyone else is drawing maps, here's mine:

Featuring:
-Glass hallways looking out into space!
-Scenic Asteroid fields!
-No Mining Z-level!
-Vacuum-exposed maintenance catwalks.
-Spacesuit lockers in hallways. Contains shitty spacesuits.
-Public Botanical Gardens located in scenic space cavern.
-Toxins Asteroid containing Toxins.
-Quarantine Asteroid containing Xenobiology and Virology.
-Prison Colony accessible by shuttle in Security.
-Distributed Science and Medical departments.
-Combined HoP, Arrivals, Dorms and Escape area.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:53:23 am by Grek »

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2013, 05:51:51 am »

I would draw a map to! To bad I already made it before I drew it. I made a map for really 7 or 9 people based mostly around living. Pretty much just to test stuff before I give it to Glloyd.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2013, 06:16:44 am »

Grek, that map has so many problems for day-to-day play... It does look totally fucking sweet tough, and like something NT would actually make. But we have to think about balance :c

A prison asteroid is something we need on our current map, to give people that are permabrigged something to do and make permabrig not be a sentence equal to death.
(So we get a neat Permabrig > or = Cyborgified > Death penalty order, instead of the current Cyborgified > Death Penalty = Permabrig)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:20:02 am by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2013, 07:01:02 am »

So, what are the balance issues? The main ones I'm seeing are:

-Everyone has a space suit, making space way easier to access.
-Maintenance is not dark and stealthy, making it hard to ambush people there.
-Medbay is boned if space carp attack. Or if meteors hit. Or if the Singo gets loose.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2013, 07:14:57 am »

There's very little potential for maintenance tunnels, making it VERY hard for traitors to not be caught and reducing the amount of places where you can kill people/absorb people/draw runes without the all-seeing AI calling it out. On our current station, just about every room has a maintenance acces, but here, only a fourth or so of the rooms could have an acces, and then some of those tunnels would be exposed to space.
Spacesuits everywhere is just a big problem because that's the point of EVA being high-security.
Medbay and being spread out will make things very complicated, due to their interdependance, both between these two departments and in each department itself.
Thin glass walkways make cutting parts of the station off by vacuum easy.

SS13 just generally isn't made to have such spread-out stations, the code is entirely built to have compact stations with each department clearly defined and maintenance tunnels between them.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2013, 08:17:54 am »

There's very little potential for maintenance tunnels, making it VERY hard for traitors to not be caught and reducing the amount of places where you can kill people/absorb people/draw runes without the all-seeing AI calling it out. On our current station, just about every room has a maintenance acces, but here, only a fourth or so of the rooms could have an acces, and then some of those tunnels would be exposed to space.
Look carefully. Zoom in, if you need to. The only rooms which have maintenance doors on the current build but don't have room for them on the map I made are: Library, Lawyer, Detective, Dorms, RD's office and Custodial. Most of maintenance is out of view due to distance (Quarantine, Toxins) or walls (All of Cargo, all of EVA, all of Engineering most of Bridge, most of Bar, most of Chapel) being in the way. All of it gives you access to asteroids to go hide behind, stash bodies, eat people, draw runes, dig secret bases, etc. where the AI doesn't have cameras at all. The only parts that are really troublesome are sneaking past the bar or into the bridge/security areas through maintenance (but only while being tracked, one you get past you're hidden again). Even then, it's still doable if you use the space suits and a fire extinguisher to leave the catwalks and go into space out of view distance for your nefarious deeds.
Spacesuits everywhere is just a big problem because that's the point of EVA being high-security.
Securing the RCD, magboots, jetpacks and hardsuits, mostly. The normal space suits themselves aren't all that problematic, since all they do is let you go into space. Since going into space on a space station is fun, I'm all for making it easy to do.
Medbay and being spread out will make things very complicated, due to their interdependance, both between these two departments and in each department itself.
If you look very carefully, Cryo, Genetics and the Medbay lobby, the three rooms where you drag dead/injured people, are all right next to eachother. The two bits of medbay that are spread out are virology (which only cares about Chemistry and the CMO anyway) and Chemistry (which is moved between Virology and R&D, the two people that need chems the most). Likewise with science: Toxins (which is just down the hall) and Xenobiology (which, logically, should be apart from the rest of the station) are the only two moved away from the main Research/Robotics core.
Thin glass walkways make cutting parts of the station off by vacuum easy.
One of the major reasons for giving everyone access to spacesuits for space walks.

That said, this would be a very space-focused map, kinda like Gibbed's current cogmap station. Going into space, fighting people in space, protecting yourself from the vacuum and so forth all are a bigger deal on this map.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:19:56 am by Grek »

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2013, 09:47:41 am »

Miauw, one other thing to keep in mind, with these spread out stations, the empty space between modules are functionally similar to the maintenance tunnels on a compact station.  Especially so if there are readily available low quality space suits.  Going out into the interior space allows you to use space without running the constant risk of drifting off into dead space.

I'm sure that these maps could be made with sufficient empty "hard ground" as well for when you need to build yourself a little base of operations.

It would play differently than the current map, but I don't think it would be too hard to make it balanced between antags and crew.  More or Less maint tunnels and hallways would be easy to add/remove.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2013, 12:05:07 pm »

Miauw, one other thing to keep in mind, with these spread out stations, the empty space between modules are functionally similar to the maintenance tunnels on a compact station.  Especially so if there are readily available low quality space suits.  Going out into the interior space allows you to use space without running the constant risk of drifting off into dead space.

I'm sure that these maps could be made with sufficient empty "hard ground" as well for when you need to build yourself a little base of operations.

It would play differently than the current map, but I don't think it would be too hard to make it balanced between antags and crew.  More or Less maint tunnels and hallways would be easy to add/remove.

It's the same thing as before I like it, but piping/wiring would be impossible. The problem is that you can't have (at least when mapping, and I'm assuming in-game as well) scrubbers pipes and air supply pipes on top of each other, making it a mess to pipe. In addition, it suffers from the same gameplay issue. Mainly that if you're playing a cargo tech traitor, you have NO reason to be anywhere in the northeast of the station. So when you're trying to steal the cap's gun, you stand out like a sore thumb.

EDIT: Creation of the map has already begun. Nienhaus made some awesome couch sprites, along with sprites for potted plants. Here's a picture of the couches for you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And some plants!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:42:46 pm by Glloyd »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2013, 05:14:02 pm »

beautiful.
hey, think you can shove something somewhere telling how to make maps for this? the TG wiki confuses me or has nothing. not positive what...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22