Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Extremely Liberal Crime Squad  (Read 7825 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: Extremely Liberal Crime Squad
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 03:33:56 pm »

The LCS advocates total gun control, and will shoot anyone who disagrees. Let's be clear here: the Crime Squad isn't really a sane political movement; it's a parody of what real-world conservatives characterize liberal beliefs, and furthermore, it's a game; having hilarious and game-changing effects just adds to it.
Not really, as an EVIL ARCH-CONSERVATIVE myself I think that most liberals have no idea about guns, either classification or shootification. You can find lots of videos of Real Life Liberals showing their lack of gun knowledge, to the point of saying that banning some magazines(which are reuseable) will cause people to use up their magazines and not be able to get more, or calling a Civvie AR-15 a fully-automatic weapon. As for shooting, Floyd Corkins (who was attacking the FRC based on a hate map published by the SPLC) couldn't even manage to kill one security guard.

So no, I don't think that many Liberal criminals would be that competent.

Note: I make distinctions between 'Liberal', liberal, and Democrat.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 03:42:17 pm »

You liberals are so bad at murdering people, heh

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 03:43:35 pm »

You liberals are so bad at murdering people, heh
I'm saying that LCS liberals are not the Liberal Stereotype, unlike PTGG?? said.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 04:45:36 pm »

As for shooting, Floyd Corkins (who was attacking the FRC based on a hate map published by the SPLC) couldn't even manage to kill one security guard.

Well, in the Symbionese Liberation Army safehouse siege (which LCS is greatly inspired by), the SLA fired thousands of rounds and didn't hit a single police officer. So even the inspiration for LCS is like that. That wouldn't make much of a game though, save maybe an art game.

I would say LCS is more like how the SLA saw themselves, rather than how the rest of the world saw them or how they really were. It's just that we have to stretch the game's underlying assumptions into absurdity in order for their worldview to be realized. I have several times referenced the Illuminati: New World Order card here.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 05:01:38 pm »

Y'know, I was thinking that the LCS ought to have to get an ELITE LIBERAL AMENDMENT of this nature in order to win.  As it stands, Nightmare Mode is pretty much the LCS-wins scenario, but for the CCS (and I think the Congress isn't Arch-Conservative).

Well, the Congress can't be arch-conservative, since that would mean that the ARCH CONSERVATIVE AMENDMENT(*) to fully reaganize the country would be passed a few months into the game, leading to a game over for the LCS.

(*) see endgame.cpp. Yes, it's one way to lose the game.

Yeah, I know about ACAs.  I still think requiring an ELA to win (thus, having an issue get to L++) is worthwhile for parity's sake.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 05:55:53 pm »

Weather Underground is the other leftist terrorist group that springs to mind, but their attacks weren't intended to kill people.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 06:20:29 pm »

I like the idea that the extreme side of liberalism pretty much wraps around back to the arch-conservative nightmare again. Like "Abortions are mandatory", which is just as little freedom of choice as "Abortion is illegal". Or trying to enforce free speech, which just means nobody can tell the difference between your real opinion and the mandated "free speech" you're supposed to be engaging in. A minimum wage of $100 per hour would mean that the people who work for little or nothing under arch-conservative laws are simply unemployed (though presumably on welfare) because nobody can pay them.

If LCS makes a serious political statement beyond the satire, it's just that taking things to the extreme is a bad idea. I always thought it was deliciously ironic that the LCS espouses gun control (and shoots people), supports free speech (and brainwashes people), and supports workers' rights (and doesn't pay the people who work for the LCS). But that's the funny part--you're playing a bunch of people who are so delusional they can't even see their own double standard, who are convinced that they people they're fighting against are equally delusional (granted, in Nightmare mode, they actually are). You get to look at the whole thing, shake your head and go, "Man, these people are all nuts!"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 07:26:43 pm »

Weather Underground is the other leftist terrorist group that springs to mind, but their attacks weren't intended to kill people.

Actually, weather underground is a very useful website...

The LCS advocates total gun control, and will shoot anyone who disagrees. Let's be clear here: the Crime Squad isn't really a sane political movement; it's a parody of what real-world conservatives characterize liberal beliefs, and furthermore, it's a game; having hilarious and game-changing effects just adds to it.
Not really, as an EVIL ARCH-CONSERVATIVE myself I think that most liberals have no idea about guns, either classification or shootification. You can find lots of videos of Real Life Liberals showing their lack of gun knowledge, to the point of saying that banning some magazines(which are reuseable) will cause people to use up their magazines and not be able to get more, or calling a Civvie AR-15 a fully-automatic weapon. As for shooting, Floyd Corkins (who was attacking the FRC based on a hate map published by the SPLC) couldn't even manage to kill one security guard.

So no, I don't think that many Liberal criminals would be that competent.

Note: I make distinctions between 'Liberal', liberal, and Democrat.

1: Let's go to the firing range, mister, and we'll see if you got a deadeye to match that mouth.
2: On second thought, go get your damned turn taken care of in the SMAC game. THEN we can go shooting.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 [2]