Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Renaming problem  (Read 1726 times)

whitecold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Renaming problem
« on: May 21, 2013, 03:03:05 pm »

When I rename things I can't delete the already written stuff, whenever I press the delete key another strange char is added, anyone know how to fix this? I use a mac keyboard.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Renaming problem
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 04:28:09 pm »

Try using backspace or a backwards arrow instead.  Whenever you press a key, it sends a message to the computer that the key with the code number X was just pressed, and it sounds like the delete key is a different X than what DF is expecting as the delete.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

whitecold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:10:34 am »

Sorry, I have to correct myself, I only have a backspace key, and no delete. Backwards arrow does nothing. Anyone knows what to do?

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:08:26 am »

ctrl-h maybe?

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:22:56 pm »

Do like I do every time a new version come out, change the key for backspace. Simple as hell

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:24:37 pm »

Do like I do every time a new version come out, change the key for backspace. Simple as hell

Could you provide instructions? I'm not on a Mac, but also have not actually changed key bindings in the game. I'm sure a few others don't know about it either.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

whitecold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 03:10:23 pm »

Yes, instructions would be appreciated as I can't find the responsible keybinding anywhere in the interface.txt file

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 03:39:37 pm »

Could you provide instructions? I'm not on a Mac, but also have not actually changed key bindings in the game. I'm sure a few others don't know about it either.
Yes, instructions would be appreciated as I can't find the responsible keybinding anywhere in the interface.txt file

In fortress mode, if you press esc, you can see "key bindings" .. if you choose that a list appears with different categories of keys to edit. I haven't tried changing any of these but if you click the "Text entry" category then you'll find "String: Backspace" .. not sure what to do with it but you can mess around with that stuff for a bit. See if it solves your problem.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 09:57:18 am »

This is bug 1909 http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1909
There are a few different workarounds posted there. Different ones seem to work for different people so you may need to try a few.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

whitecold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 03:55:50 am »

Thanks, I finally found the respective keybinding.

Required Information

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 08:58:01 am »

When I rename things I can't delete the already written stuff, whenever I press the delete key another strange char is added, anyone know how to fix this? I use a mac keyboard.

Go to key bindings, text entry and add a new binding to the command backspace. For me, I only have to do this on Masterwork for some reason, and I have to replace it with a different button then backspace (since somewhere in the key bindings there is a symbol attached to it, so pressing backspace after assigning would place a symbol, as well as removing it, placing symbols slightly faster then removing them). I recommend using the tab-key as your new backspace.