Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Minecarts + Impulse Ramps = Goblin Space Program?  (Read 15912 times)

Suoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecarts + Impulse Ramps = Goblin Space Program?
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2013, 07:20:48 am »

This assumes a range of 7 tiles (as in the drawing, not ingame) and an exaggerated spread of ~15 degrees. Not all of the map gets coverage, but you can add more turrets.

As for the 90 deg cannon, four cannons in the centre have less coverage if you take into account their minimum range (what is the smallest muzzle velocity that still causes considerable damage?).

So far, test runs with parabolic cannons posted in this thread suggest ranges of 100+ tiles. I don't know if those were even going for the absolute maximum. Anyway, that would give us a circular field of fire with a diameter of 200+ tiles, with an area of about 31 416 square urists. Assuming a purely orthogonal cannnon has a field of fire of 3x100 in four directions, you would need 27 of them to cover an equally large (but square shaped) area. That's assuming you arrange the cannon in a way that there's no overlapping fields of fire between them; in practice you'd probably need at least 50 to cover a square shaped area without leaving holes.

EDIT: If possible, I intend to restrict the spread from 35 square urists to something like 5-10. The larger spread seems inefficient for water loaded cannons.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:32:56 am by Suoli »

Urist Mcfortwrecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2013, 08:46:30 am »

Has anyone considered using alternating magma and water? such that we end up with a landscape which is first burning, then extinguished and having some obsidian and dead things on it, if we alternate, we get the effectiveness of both, with the bonus of possible obsidian casting, a surefire way to kill anything

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2013, 10:17:29 am »

Has anyone considered using alternating magma and water? such that we end up with a landscape which is first burning, then extinguished and having some obsidian and dead things on it, if we alternate, we get the effectiveness of both, with the bonus of possible obsidian casting, a surefire way to kill anything
It would be more of two cannons firing each respective liquid then, and less alternating (which would be a nightmare to do). Still, sounds like a good idea bar the problems of precious gobonite getting trapped in obsidian. Well, not precious but a lot of it would get destroyed (as far as I know).

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2013, 11:00:50 am »

O.k., i guess that's my unfamiliarity with the subject, but i guess there's some kind of minimum speed required to have a minecart let go of its contents; and this minimum speed is probably derail speed. So a minecart cannon powered by rollers (which allows for the perfect 45° firing angle) cannot use the shotgun effect. In addition, diagonally-moving minecarts seem to have trouble recognising ramps. The carts just skid across the ramp square and slam into the wall right behind it. And they won't even 'roll off' the ramp. I only tried this with constructed track ramps, so that isn't necessarily the last word on the matter.

A horizontal shot appears to work normally, but the only way i could think up to achieve diagonal ballistic shots is through in-flight minecart collisions. Launch two minecarts on ballistic paths so that they meet, and one will blast off at the expected angle. Such a collision is easy to achieve with two same-speed carts, but promises to be much harder to engineer when working with differing speeds. On the other hand, if you get it right, you could achieve just about any angle desired.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]