Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should the next version of this be packaged?

Installer
- 7 (70%)
Single package
- 3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: [Outdated] Mac: General help, suggestions, and bug reports (v3b r1)  (Read 27452 times)

Rivare

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [MAC] General help, suggestions, and bug reports (v3b r1)
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2014, 08:38:09 pm »

Is there an a script for install Masterwork with POM?

Not yet. I would love for there to be one, so if you're handy with shell scripting now's your chance to shine.  :) Getting DF to run is fine, but Masterwork's GUI requires dotnet40, and having tried to install that under wine the other day (on a Mac) I suspect that I'm the only person in history to actually get it to install. I have no idea how.

Having said that, wine 1.2.3 seems to work best with the DF core (with DFHack), and 1.7.7 has been solid with the GUI if you can get dotnet to install.

~ T

Today I found the time to test a bit with POM. Install works fine (Wine 1.7.7, dotnet40 and copy of Masterwork). The game runs fine (only 2h testing though) - the therapist needs forever to do things and seperated the first migration wave in 2 (1 for the winter, 6 in spring) but works ... after java jre install soundsense works fine too

Riv

Nice. Is there any way to bundle this up somehow, or write a little guide for other people? I am sure that quite a few are interested on playing the new version on a mac.

Guide would be very easy since i tweaked no config files and only used the POM interface, a unzipped DFMasterwork folder and the java install file. Tested all on a win XP virtual device (less problems with dotnet40) and on a macbook with OS X 10.9

For someone who is familiar with the POM scripting it would be also very easy to write a install script for POM.

With a bit more testing next week I'll probably look at it - but I move in 2 weeks so it will maybe take some time :)

Riv

Required Information

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2014, 06:14:41 pm »

For someone who is familiar with the POM scripting it would be also very easy to write a install script for POM.

But for people who aren't possibly a pre-packed one? I don't know the technical details, but it seems to work for quite a few games (then again the ones that don't also don't spread)

I'd rather play the game with general settings, then dabble around to installing for two days followed by playing general settings (possibly tile set swap, but that can I can fix). I mostly want to play the mod with all (most) of the updates before the new DF drops

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2014, 11:41:15 pm »

Ok. This might sound like a major noob question.

I been playing DF for like 1 year now. And i started on Masterwork when it first came out.

And i still have no idea how to see what items are required and or used for what reactions. I mean When a job is red it tells me what i need. But how can i tell what is gonna be used if i select a job? I have serious problems when it comes to this.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2014, 05:06:44 am »

Its a bit odd to say you play Mdf since its beginning, and that you play since 1 year, because Mdf is over 2 years old. ;)

to answer the wuestion: you cant. if its green, it will use them, but wont tell you what it needs. but you can quickly make a burrow above the wofkshop, causing all reactions to turn red (because the ingredients are not in the burrow) That way you can check.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2014, 11:36:47 pm »

I'm a mac neophyte and have never used POM, wine, or any other similar program; basically I'll be working on a mac for the foreseeable future and I'd like to play the newest MW while I'm doing it! I spent some trying to figure out POM, but it wasn't cooperating with me fully; granted, I may not understand which file to install properly. I seemed to get the most progress with dwarf fortress.exe, but there was a message that it couldn't find the 'curses.png' tile set in the art folder. I checked the init.txt and it's set to run with Phoebus, so I'm not quite sure why it would be asking me for that other tileset... by my understanding that's the original ASCII?

Is this a problem I should be facing at all, or am I turned in the wrong direction? Could some kindhearted soul possibly point me in the right direction? I'm primarily interested in getting masterwork to run: I don't particularly mind not working with the GUI - at least for the time being  :)

Thanks so much in advance!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2014, 01:45:36 pm »

It seems like MWDF don't really have a settings manager for Mac — I know the Windows version works fine in Wine, but it would be nice not to require that... I'm looking for ways to get back into more frequent programming, so if there's room for more development, I could make an attempt at producing a Mac-native equivalent for the Settings application. I don't know ObjC/Xcode well (I usually just write C++/Python/Ruby in Vim), but could certainly do an ncurses interface or or perhaps a more typical Mac application with Macruby.

I see there are also some utilities packaged with MDF, like SoundSense and Therapist, that could be packaged as separate Mac apps, and still more that could be merged into a Wineskin wrapper. DFInit and a few others' functions could probably be reproduced by bash scripts and a few unix builtins like grep and tail, too.

Ooh, I've just noticed, though — if I stick to ncurses and bash scripts, this can easily double as a Linux port of most of the utility programs as well. I might do that.

My list of possible program conversions is as follows...
Key:
    Green: Easy or done already.
    Orange: Straightforward, but requires new code.
    Teal: Can be packaged as a Wineskin app.
    Red: Difficult or impossible without a total rewrite.

Dwarf Fortress: Mac-native. Retina Mac users require a PRINT_MODE tweak, however.
    DFHack: Mac/Linux-native, but needs Mac-native Stonesense plugin as of r5. Linux version already in sync with Windows version.
    MWDF Settings: Doubly-colored, since this is Wineskin-able, or can be rewritten as a ncurses progam pretty easily. Depending on how much Wine-related stuff I'll need for other applications, I could go either way.
    Announcement Filter: Java, so Mac-native, but might be easier to merge into DFStoryMaker functionality.
    DFInit: Not Mac/Linux-native. Can likely be replaced by a small script, though.
    DFMon: Same conditions as DFInit, except for the functionality of projecting a statusbar onto the DF window. That may be hard to implement, but it's not a huge problem if I can't do it, because there are other display methods for the alerts (e.g. in a separate window).
    DFStoryMaker: Same conditions as DFInit.
    Dwarf Therapist: Mac/Linux native, but needs MDF modifications. I don't think this is a code issue; IIRC, I only need to swap data files.
    Isoworld: Doesn't hook into DF, so it can be made into a Wineskin app. Linux users can easily install Wine for this.
    Large Address Aware: Unnecessary on Mac/Linux.
    Legends Viewer: .NET framework 4.0 needed, so I think Mac/Linux can't run this at all.
    PerfectWorldDF: Same state as Legends Viewer.
    Picturefort: Potentially Wineskin-able.
    Quickfort: Native to Mac/Linux, but has no GUI for them. One can easily be made, however.
    SoundSense: Native (java).
    TileGenie: Uses .NET Framework, so unlikely to run in Wine/Mono. May be replicable via a short Python program, but perhaps this program is not so necessary now that we have Mifki's TWBT plugin.
    UristV: Wineskin-able, probably. I don't know if it uses .NET.

I'm going on vacation shortly for about a week, so I'm not sure precisely when I'll have time to code. However, I'll report back here with updates, hopefully shortly.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:56:50 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2014, 01:49:07 pm »

Tilegenie is not really necessary, its more or less included because its just 20kb or so.

For Legends Viewer: Maybe try to replace it with this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128932.0 Maybe its easier to port for Mac OS.

Good luck. I know there are a lot of people trying to play this on mac. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Outdated] Mac: General help, suggestions, and bug reports (v3b r1)
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2014, 01:49:41 pm »

You may be interested in this thread.
Edit: World Viewer appears to be about as hard to port as Legends Viewer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:56:43 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2014, 02:19:16 pm »

Quickfort: Native to Mac/Linux, but has no GUI for them. One can easily be made, however.
QuickfortConverter frontend: Primitive drag-and-drop interface made with Platypus. Exports into a folder or a symlink next to the app called "macros".

And any mac settings app you intend to make interests me.

sharix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2014, 04:41:07 am »

Yay! I'm very excited about a proper Mac port of Mdf. There has been some development before but afaik nothing finished.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2014, 07:36:17 pm »

Okay, I'm back. I have the basic interface down, but I don't have a Windows computer, so I don't actually know what the MWDF settings application does yet such that I can replicate it in full.  I just found the source, and I'll take a look in the coming days... Related: is it possible that someone could produce screenshots of each screen of the settings program so that I can replicate the layout?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:41:42 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2014, 07:07:14 pm »

Ok, so I've been trying to work out a way to get the latest MDF to work on Mac for a while, and I've made various posts about it in other places, so I've finally decided to post here in the hopes that Meph or others may be able to enlighten us (meaning anyone who is interested in a mac version of the latest MDF) on the matter.

As my current progress stands, all of my experimentation has netted this:
    • Using the old Mac MDF version and shoving the new version into it works, but the Eventful plugin doesn't, disabling many critical features
    • Using any newer Mac-compatible versions of dfhack (tested with versions 34.11r3,4,5) works with normal DF and all dfhack scripts added by MDF, however attempting to use the MDF raws causes a segfault 11 error directly after generating/loading a world's minerals (possibly meaning a problem with civ initialization). A few patches don't seem to exist either, not sure if that's related.
    • Supposedly certain parts of the raws only work with certain versions of dfhack, causing the segfault error (for those who don't know, it means that the system was told to access data that didn't exist). However, I do not have the means to know what parts specifically could be causing the issue.
    • Oddly, using Wine to launch MDF on OSX through direct use of the Windows version results in a single large "D", and nothing else is visible; other than that, it appears to work; pressing UP+ENTER quits the game like you would expect.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:51:08 pm by thegamemaster1234 »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]