Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Shipwreched: Tiny Volcanic Island Isolated 2x2 Embark Challange  (Read 27078 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwreched: Tiny Volcanic Island Isolated 2x2 Embark Challange
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2012, 04:21:36 pm »

Uhhmm... Glory and death, yay!(?)

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2012, 05:20:02 pm »

In case the sceen capture from adventure mode wasn't recognizable; we are going to try and make for the mainland through the caverns. Not everyone will be coming though and there is little chance of success. There are major issues with the caverns due to world-gen it seems but the world was at least genned with extra caves...

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2012, 11:56:07 pm »

OOC; first off; no offense

I found Malthas in the statue garden surrounded by her five daughters and her son Lor. She was all decked out in copper armor and pigtail clothes of the highest quality we could produce. The liaison's lifetime of forging trade routes will certainly prove invaluable on the long journey through unknown caverns.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What the fuck? Ok, so I calmed and she admits some attachment to her offspring or such about unethical infant abandonment and worries about flying off on poorly planned adventures. Well goodbye then, and she just chews her lip and storms off. I'm worried this epidemic of infants will have tainted the mind of her partner.

All good.

Or worse! I go to round up the guards who've been practicing for years for this and GreatWrymLimestone has become long-winded and bossy and Itnetlolor is just a dick.

Shit! So now I'm really worried, I never learned anything about swording things from Malthas, I was too busy with mining all the time. We gave The Card and Peregar weapons but they were too stupid and busy respectively to learn anything in the last two years. I found Aseaheru in our room, our six boys probably still tearing around somewhere with Lor. She looks tired for an inexhaustible hammerdwarf.

Beardly! We won't be getting ourselves killed by the first giant bat we see at least. I hope the others enjoy ethically taking care of our kids!

I snuck into Itnetlolor's room to steal his cat leather backpack. There are no others so despite it's ridiculous appearance I poured some wine in the bottom and stuffed some spare food and a crutch in it before tying the legs around my shoulders and waist.

I took the time time to find a few bits of armor that I had forgotten to put on earlier (OOC; like a HELMET - idiot dwarves) and we started down. The towering one-eyed tortoise just stares back at us as we look into it's cell were it fidgets and squirms. I hope there are no more of these things down here.

The beast will be confined forever while we pass into the caverns  re-sealing the inner bridge behind us.

OOC; again no offense meant :) Despite Crash's Superdwarven Social Awareness The guards got too legendary too join despite save-scumming a year to halt their training and getting Crash to legendary in marksdwarf. I thought of waiting to try and get enough trapped forgotten beasts to get Crash named and see if they'll join then but I don't eve know if that would have worked. I also think that if I try and go back later the site will instantly flood on reloading. I'm not sure what Malthas' problem was other then being a militia captain? We'll send help.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2012, 01:11:26 am »

Well, good thing I'm not a snob.   :P

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2012, 02:14:52 pm »

Sorry for being a dick. I'm just really committed to my job as a guard. Plus, I prefer remaining safe.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2012, 06:18:33 pm »

wait, what happened? i know we all went adventure mode...

Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2012, 07:24:57 pm »

As per most deserted island tales; following the perilous arrival and homely adaptation phases we are moving to the uncertain escape. Nothing really happened, we still have lots of food but it seems as though the Fool fished the ocean clean. Traders gonna trade - we gotta go, it's common for the caravan to exit the map via the caverns, the socks market is red-hot. Only, I can't get three dwarves (two are the strongest and best suited to going) to joint the party so they are unfortunately left behind with all the children. We will try to cross under The Gulf of Dredging to the East and regain the surface through one of the many caves on the mainland to claim victory.

There's just not much to do other then leave; wait for a deadlier F.B. then Thol to show up, sleep-flood the fort in adventure mode and try to find some of the others in the caverns, body-swap to Thol and get splattered by any dwarf with a robe, 7-dwarfs worth of mega-project, there's no HFS in this world so we need an end-game challenge to shoot for. Basically, them that die'll be the lucky ones.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2013, 04:48:28 am »

I just decided to try this challenge, and I had the setup going great.  Saved all the items from the lava (I like my cloth to be BLUE, thank you very much!) and was able to freeze some early with careful use of pumps (and savescumming as I learned about the dangers of backwash).

Then in one slight mistake in micro-management, I find that my cook has just made a whole bunch of Plump-Helmet Biscuits.

...#@!%$&!

However, this time I will NOT savescum! (an amazing achievement for me) I'll just be eating a lot of fish, and hopefully reach the caverns before the oceans run out.  Fish and Rum.  And maybe I can get a kitten-farm going too, since both cats survived.

I'm uncertain though as to whether I should try to enable Magma-Power.  You did fine without it, but I hate burning any of the very finite wood supply to make the critical glass components for a magma-pump.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2013, 06:10:26 pm »

OOC; Ah yes the fiendish backwash caused me more then a few savescums too. I made it a ways through the caverns meaning to update but ran into a problem even Oth's geomancy hasn't sovled. Have !!FUN!!

We set off bearing between East by south and East-southeast and immediately are struck by growths of grasses previously known to have only survived above ground.

We reach a long wall with only one hole but it is a drop of two urists. There is no going back or around. Before I recommend jumping to the party I offer a prayer to Oth who's generosity belies her history.

We continued with the spirits of the party buoyed by the sanctity of our fortunes and explored a crack that dove down to another lower cavern layer but decided to not push our luck and climbed back up for drinks.

Pushing on we passed sheer drops of many urists, skirted vast underground lakes and negotiated mazes of twisting passages.

We were following Aseaheru around a deep chasm and as breaking over the top of a steep rise in the passage we came face to face with some sort of local creatures.

OOC; Shortly after Batman joints the group there is a critical drop is FPS all the way to MPF. There's SMR, magma and water all jumbled up in the third cavern layer as well as some weird sea-level/ storm-like thing going on overhead and I haven't been interested in trying to sort it all out to see if the FPS can be recovered. Estimated at a third of the way to the target cave's map tile.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2013, 04:00:41 am »

I just figured out how to enable Magma Furnaces in dfhack!

Using the 'feature' command, you look for the entry: ("the subterranean water", type magma_core_from_layer)

On the Shipwreched map, this is Feature #2, and typing: 'feature show 2' then allows for the construction of all magma-related buildings.

This knowledge comes a bit late to be of use for your story, Crashmaster, but should you decide to make a new custom volcanic island map where you want magma furnaces to be available, this is the method to use.  Also for anybody who (for some reason) decides they want to try this challenge too, but love their infinite fuel supply too much to play without it, this is the command to use.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2013, 05:07:14 pm »

can we get a new one?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2013, 07:22:15 pm »

Post to watch.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2013, 05:21:56 pm »

Posting to bump as working on new island project. Gonna try cram more stuff onto it. Any requests/ suggestions? Probably a 2x2 embark as I want to keep the water border to 20 tiles or less. I plan on having surface space/ digging be very limited for !!FUN!!

Also determined how to procede through Shipwretched caverns - need to constantly erase and re-fill the ocean with dfhack as I move - very tedious - might not bother.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]