Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Let's mismanage a Kingdom and get eaten by Honey Badgers in Gnomoria!  (Read 21848 times)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
Re: Let's mismanage a Kingdom and get eaten by Honey Badgers in Gnomoria!
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 05:12:55 pm »

Tenth day of Winter, Year Four:
At last! After so long, with so many promises that failed to live up to their potential, finally, it is made. From the mind of our genius tinkerers comes a weapon of unparalleled destructive force... the Blunderbuss. Armed with this new invention, the Silvery Lurkers, and Orinstein specifically, enjoyed a sudden burst of popularity as many of the Gnomes of Spiderslaughter rushed him with questions on the effectiveness of this new weapon.

Now, while The Silvery Lurkers of Battle remind Cinderfragment why it is that they should fear our new invention, we can begin preparations to welcome new Gnomads to the Kingdom!

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2013, 12:56:28 pm »

First day of Spring, Year Five:
Much to my dismay, it seems that the arrival of Gnomads this Spring has echoed the planning nightmare that we experienced with the last migrant wave. Despite every effort to guide the new arrivals carefully towards the forts interior, some stragglers refused to retreat behind the safety of our walls.

And so, it falls once more to the Fortified Seals, to slay all enemies of Spiderslaughter, to allow the opening of the fort proper, which we hope will encourage the last remaining Gnomads to seek refuge within. However, will our troops be able to guarantee the safety of our kingdom, once it is opened?

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2013, 08:14:19 pm »

Twelfth day of Spring, Year Five:
It has been many days, almost an entire season, since last any official record was panned. By my hand, or any other. It is difficult, even now, to know how to document what transpired on the first night of Spring, though I have heard many refer to it as the "Night of Heroes Fall" and it seems painfully fitting.

Heedless of the mounting risks our forces held open the gates until the body of a fallen Gnome could be retrieved. It is a small measure of comfort to know that those who died, died with honour and in a way fitting of Spiderslaughter. But still, the fact remains, the price for their honour was terribly high...

Rest peacefully, ye fallen heroes:
Urglepufz
Urist Birchroot
Currymuncher
Dapper Jester
IncompetentLP
Snorri
Blupaperhatz
Togis
Brainlion
LordChesalot
Fyrezen
Bardophil Halceon
Magickarl
Krumlov
BurningGinga
Nichbethar
Kay0zz
Ackander
F25U
Bloodalchemy
Anthrex II
Boulder II
Applerunner
MillionFoul
Rgguthan
Sellardohr00
MrNoidanuoli II
Xenir
Dino9599 II

Now, with moral at an all-time low, the survivors of the Night of Heroes Fall must reorganise, adapt, and grow stronger. We must live on, so that the names of dead live on in memory and song!

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2013, 06:14:09 am »

Second day of Summer, Year Five:
With the survivors of The Night of Heroes Fall now serving in a Kingdom wide militia, some of the duties have had to change dramatically. Not only did Spiderslaughter lose some extremely well trained soldiers, but also well trained craftsmen and farmers... it will be some time before the Kingdom is able to operate efficiently as the citizens are forced to learn new trades.

Now, with the 5th of Summer fast approaching, can we successfully guide a Merchant to a market stall, or will Spiderslaughter be witness to another slaughter at the hands of Cinderfragment?

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 01:41:33 pm »

Fifth day of Summer, Year Five:
Although not entirely without incident, it was with great relief I was informed that a single merchant, of the 6 who arrived, managed to make it safely into the fort. However, with an equal measure of dismay, I was then informed that although laden with ores the merchant brought no stocks of food for trade!

And so it is once again time to notch our belts a little tighter, to ration what dwindling supplies we have, and to prepare for the hungry days ahead. However, we shall not give in to famine, one way or another I pledge to solve this hunger problem once and for all!

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2013, 07:54:31 pm »

Seventh day of Summer, Year Five:
They're at the gates. There isn't much time, for even I shall be joining the fighting soon I'm sure... but we must keep a record, if not for ourselves, then for all those who fell before us.

The end is here. With so many of Spiderslaughter's bravest and brightest gone already, during The Night of Heroes Fall, this was inevitable really. It's hard to put a finger on the direct cause, but the underlying reason is clear enough for all to understand. We lost hope, and with it, our drive to continue eking out some half-life in empty halls full of painful memories.

I held council, the vote was unanimous. It was clear enough there wouldn't be sufficient food, we didn't want this to be our fate. Not after so many had fought, worked, and died to give us this moment... we had a duty, to them, as to ourselves. We would stand and face our fate, not cower in a corner, hungry and fearful of our shadows.

And so, once I finish this entry, my last official duty as leader of this once grand kingdom will be to lead the charge. We will open Spiderslaughter's gates once more, and for one last battle, we will carve our memories into the hides of Cinderfragment's agents.

For Spiderslaughter, and all those who will come after!

Well, after 73 episodes the fort finally fell. What I initially imagined would be a 20 or so episode romp through the first year or two of a fort, before the inevitable goblin siege landed on my unprepared Gnomes, turned into the most successful fort I've run.

At its height, Spiderslaughter was the home to 50 or so Gnomes, with a booming metal working industry, and regular scientific breakthroughs. We had grand plans, as it turns out, slightly larger than we would live to see finished, but the plans themselves were glorious! From the massive Hero monument with its soon to be excavated catacombs lined in bones, to the automated defence systems built into the gate-house.

But as sad as I may be to see Spiderslaughter fall, I think it was time. Through its 5 year history the Kingdom has seen several large and sweeping changes be implemented to the base game, changes which in many ways pulled the rug out from under its feet. It struggled on (successfully, for quite some time), but over time this patchwork of rule changes began to burden the Gnomes and the Kingdom as a whole. Not to mention, many of the changes would have drastic effects on the early game, but as Spiderslaughter had already advanced beyond that point, we missed out on the 'new game experience'.

All in all, this has been a fantastic playthrough, and I hope everyone has enjoyed the story as much as I have enjoyed weaving it.

So until another band of stout Gnomes feel brave enough to launch a new expedition to found a Kingdom, do take care :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]