Poll

Should this be locked?

Yes
- 10 (76.9%)
No
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Your opinion on women in the military?  (Read 49338 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on women in the military?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 07:52:22 pm »

For the most part, yes. However, sending women into combat against a number of our enemies would be a whole lot more dangerous for them than for men.
Now you're just being sexist. If they pass the test on an equal standing they are equal. Everything from that point on will be equal. There will be no less dangerous tasks for anyone because they will all be equal.

If you're talking about the risk of rape after capture, that is a real danger to male soldiers too, and has been throughout all of human history. That is not, at all, a valid reason to say it's more dangerous for them.
You miss the point, which is that women are at a much higher risk of rape than men.
[TRIGGER WARNING=RAPE] linky

I'm also going to quote this phrase but also put it under a trigger warning spoiler as well:

Spoiler: TW (click to show/hide)

I'm also throwing in with what Max and Vector are saying: It's really not a reason to keep women out.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 07:54:15 pm »

Equal rights isn't about ensuring you have a 50/50 split, it is about giving everybody the same chance to prove themselves. There should be the exact same physical fitness test for both men and women, and when a woman passes that test there should be no more questions asked then when a man passes it.
In other words, it shouldn't be about men and women, it should be about people. The fact that there is an easier test for women than men only serves to widen a gap.

This is how I feel about it.  Women who want to be in combat roles should logically meet the same requirements as men.  For their own good as well as that of the capabilities of the combat units as a whole.  They've got to do the same stuff as men once they get deployed, presumably, so they should be just as prepared for it.  But don't forbid them, by any means.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 07:55:51 pm »

To anticipate an argument, I believe that if we have a draft, it should be universal.  However, I also don't think conscription is a good thing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 08:32:22 pm »

To anticipate an argument, I believe that if we have a draft, it should be universal.  However, I also don't think conscription is a good thing.
I agree on both counts.

I don't think that women should be kept out of the military because they are at a higher risk of rape, it's just something to consider.

That being said, I still think an unequal test is unfair.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 08:38:25 pm »

Aye. Equal tests should be mandatory.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 08:44:26 pm »

Well the military isn't the only place that woman are lacking. Look at maths and sciences in collages. Not a very high rate of woman attending, but clearly, clearly giving women an easier test than men would be detrimental. If we did that, then even if a woman was the most intelligent, hard working, and deserving of the highest grade, it would always be shadowed with 'Well yea, but she was running the easy test!', rather than being given the respect for her efforts that she would deserve.

Military testing is much the same. These tests were designed to keep people alive in a combat situation. Giving women an easier test is going to get people killed.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 08:45:41 pm »

Well the military isn't the only place that woman are lacking. Look at maths and sciences in collages. Not a very high rate of woman attending, but clearly, clearly giving women an easier test than men would be detrimental. If we did that, then even if a woman was the most intelligent, hard working, and deserving of the highest grade, it would always be shadowed with 'Well yea, but she was running the easy test!', rather than being given the respect for her efforts that she would deserve.

Military testing is much the same. These tests were designed to keep people alive in a combat situation. Giving women an easier test is going to get people killed.
Ok, we all agree on this, so can we please stop arguing now? :P
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 08:49:03 pm »

Equal tests should absolutely be mandatory.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 08:50:21 pm »

Equal tests for equal roles.  This means women who pass combat tests can get combat roles... and men who pass desk jockey tests get desk jobs.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 08:51:45 pm »

I don't think that women should be kept out of the military because they are at a higher risk of rape, it's just something to consider.
Then why are you even bringing it up? If you don't think it's a point of argument it has little use in the discussion.
The unequal test does exist under a rationale. It was only about half a year ago that the restriction on women in direct combat roles was lifted. Before that, you could justify the unequal tests under the rationale that women were not going to be placed in the most strenuous roles.

With the end of that, both the male-only draft and the differing tests are living on borrowed time, as the legal justification for them no longer exists.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 08:54:11 pm »

Risk of rape should never be used to deny women equal treatment, but rather serve as a sign that better enforcement of anti-rape and education is needed.

As far tests, it depends on what it's supposed to find. If it's just testing if the soldier is physically fit and there aren't already more general non-sexed categories to account for differences then using the same targets for all participants isn't necessary. What matters is whether the soldier is able to fulfill their expected duties in a modern warfare capacity.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 09:03:03 pm »

NO! Argument, argument! Rhetoric argument argument! Example argument, point argument argument!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 09:05:00 pm »

NO! Argument, argument! Rhetoric argument argument! Example argument, point argument argument!
That is the most honest troll I have ever seen.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 11:07:15 pm »

I was under the impression the women's test was easier because the military really wants the tests to be easier all-around, but there's no political will for it.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 11:45:44 pm »

Oh boy. PTW for delicious flame and arguments.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24