Poll

Should this be locked?

Yes
- 10 (76.9%)
No
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24

Author Topic: Your opinion on women in the military?  (Read 48167 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on women in the military?
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2013, 03:13:16 pm »

We, as a society, condemn women who try to build up their physical strength because it interferes with conventional beauty standards. We marginalize and never televise the multitudes of women who have builds amply suited to the battlefield. We perpetuate the myth of the physically incapable woman, institutionalize it using the very myths we perpetuate as facts to justify it, and then turn around and blame it on the very women we are marginalizing.
I doubt this paragraph.
It's easier to doubt when you don't have to live it.

Seriously, you think there's no sexual dimorphism in humans? Are women also shorter on average because beauty standards don't let them grow tall?
Reexamine what you just said, taking into account the way that creatures select their mates.
Well yeah, that's why we have sexual dimorphism, but that's neither here nor there. The question is whether it exists, not it's origin.
So why ask the second question if it's "neither here nor there"?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2013, 03:14:49 pm »

Reexamine what you just said, taking into account the way that creatures select their mates.
So genetics are also oppressive? Heterosexuality too? This makes women short and petite?

Being physically fit makes you more attractive on that superficial level. The opposite would be observed if there was a singular overarching idea concept of beauty. It is after all, subjective.

Doubt is the beginning of understanding. Do describe in detail please [new thread or continue on this derail?]

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2013, 03:19:31 pm »

So genetics are also oppressive? Heterosexuality too? This makes women short and petite?

Being physically fit makes you more attractive on that superficial level. The opposite would be observed if there was a singular overarching idea concept of beauty. It is after all, subjective.

Doubt is the beginning of understanding. Do describe in detail please [new thread or continue on this derail?]

Genetics can be the result of oppression.

Acceptance is the beginning of understanding.  Doubt is the next step, and only works if you are receptive to the possibility of new ideas.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2013, 03:27:35 pm »

So, I am in favor of it! Yay! Hooray!

*looks at previous comments*

Ahh, the Narcissism of Small differences. Something Freud got right.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2013, 03:28:31 pm »

And while your commendable dismissal of weak-willed sniveling drama cases is wonderful, it truly is, but unless they comprise world armies that's hardly relevant. I suppose psychology and the army's poor treatment of it is something to discuss, but probably for a more related thread.

I said that because you fail to see the connection between the dismissal of the entirety of a gender due to preconceived notions and narrow near-anecdotal 'studies.' [Stress on girls and boys age 12-17]

I know alot of weak-backed, easily-stressed, stamina-less men, does that mean they [men] shouldn't be allowed combat roles too because I know a few who aren't qualified? And men can get raped, too, so it's dangerous for them to be in the military.

I'm being snarky because it makes little sense in an egalitarian society to enforce such gender roles on tenuous things such as post-menopausal women being susceptible to stress.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:30:03 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2013, 03:31:32 pm »

Quick recap of what we've learnt so far:
- The Iraqi ghost militia is the single biggest threat to women's rights
- Sexual violence against women isn't a big issue but it is bad for PR
- Gotdamnmiracle is pretty close to qualifying to be two soldiers
- Cocaine fuelled rats probably would not make a very good submarine crew (although I will be pitching the idea to Adult Swim)
- The Axis powers are surprisingly progressive when it comes to selecting tank crews

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2013, 03:33:26 pm »

Quick recap of what we've learnt so far:
- Cocaine fuelled rats probably would not make a very good submarine crew (although I will be pitching the idea to Adult Swim)
- The Axis powers are surprisingly progressive when it comes to selecting tank crews
Alright then. Then let the war continue!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2013, 03:34:31 pm »

Acceptance is the beginning of understanding.  Doubt is the next step, and only works if you are receptive to the possibility of new ideas.
Yes. And Eugenics is dead in the modern world.

Also I'm afraid that's not how to garner understanding.
You're telling me that genetics are [can?] be the result of prolonged cruelty, and to understand I must need only accept it.
And by accepting it I can doubt it.
And by doubting it I understand it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
'Doubt being the beginning of understanding,' is paraphrased from this guy. He has nice hair and good logic.
When people doubt, they are showing that they are not totally convicted on their views. When there is no firm conviction, that's where you can come in and present facts, to establish a new or already existing view.
I could just accept that now as fact, and reaffirm it as so, but now I still wouldn't understand for the life of me why.

I know alot of weak-backed, easily-stressed, stamina-less men, does that mean they [men] shouldn't be allowed combat roles too because I know a few who aren't qualified?
Are you talking about men as a whole or just physically incapable men?
Because it is rather easy to answer. Pass the test, you are eligible. I don't quite see where I made the mistake of dismissing an entire gender over trivial generalizations.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2013, 03:36:50 pm »

Yes. And Eugenics is dead in the modern world.

Also I'm afraid that's not how to garner understanding.
You're telling me that genetics are [can?] be the result of prolonged cruelty, and to understand I must need only accept it.
And by accepting it I can doubt it.
And by doubting it I understand it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
'Doubt being the beginning of understanding,' is paraphrased from this guy. He has nice hair and good logic.
When people doubt, they are showing that they are not totally convicted on their views. When there is no firm conviction, that's where you can come in and present facts, to establish a new or already existing view.
I could just accept that now as fact, and reaffirm it as so, but now I still wouldn't understand for the life of me why.

I know alot of weak-backed, easily-stressed, stamina-less men, does that mean they [men] shouldn't be allowed combat roles too because I know a few who aren't qualified?
Are you talking about men as a whole or just physically incapable men?
Because it is rather easy to answer. Pass the test, you are eligible. I don't quite see where I made the mistake of dismissing an entire gender over trivial generalizations.
No, I didn't say those things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2013, 03:39:36 pm »

Then when you have said 'oppression, acceptance, understanding, doubt,' and being 'receptive,' they have not meant what you think they mean.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2013, 03:42:18 pm »

Then when you have said 'oppression, acceptance, understanding, doubt,' and being 'receptive,' they have not meant what you think they mean.
Your putting words in my mouth, then telling me that I don't know what understand what I am saying.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2013, 03:46:38 pm »

That's why it's difficult to argue the issue. Immovable preconceived notions. It's easy to handwave when you haven't gleaned that women aren't glass dolls, it's hard for me to see such things through a lens like that anymore. Mostly because I've gotten my ass handed to me by plenty of warrior women in my day.

While I appreciate playing devil's advocate, time's not now, LW.

Egalitarian societies cannot enforce gender roles on such basis.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:51:42 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2013, 03:50:20 pm »

Make no assumptions on who you speak to, the words spoken should be all that are judged.

If you see any ad hominems, point 'em out to me.  All I'm saying is that it's one thing to say "I can't find a good scholarly article," and another thing to try to pass me something about cocaine in rats and say that it explains why human women shouldn't be on subs.  And a list of "female health problems" that aren't exactly female health problems.

And statements about how women aren't capable of working 16-hour days.

I can't find the article on anemia at the moment--I last saw it maybe a year and a half ago, and I didn't do a good job of holding onto the information.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2013, 03:52:05 pm »

Make no assumptions on who you speak to, the words spoken should be all that are judged.

If you see any ad hominems, point 'em out to me.  All I'm saying is that it's one thing to say "I can't find a good scholarly article," and another thing to try to pass me something about cocaine in rats and say that it explains why human women shouldn't be on subs.  And a list of "female health problems" that aren't exactly female health problems.

And statements about how women aren't capable of working 16-hour days.

I can't find the article on anemia at the moment--I last saw it maybe a year and a half ago, and I didn't do a good job of holding onto the information.

Nobody said these things.  Nobody said woman aren't capable of doing the work.  People are saying that if they want the job they should pass the same tests as the men.

And cocaine in rats, my bad.  Some of us still have classes to attend.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2013, 03:53:28 pm »

Nobody said these things.  Nobody said woman aren't capable of doing the work.  People are saying that if they want the job they should pass the same tests as the men.

Then after the truly standardized entry tests are implemented it's women's health and mental health [and, ultimately, the rape arguement] that gets dragged into why they aren't able to serve equally alongside men.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24