Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The best feelings in DF  (Read 14274 times)

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
The best feelings in DF
« on: May 20, 2013, 03:22:09 pm »

I'd like to discuss aspects of the game that just make it worthwhile.

First: The last migrant wave. Especially considering how I play (turtled in, drawbridge shields), those migrants throw a wrench into every little thing I try to do. Knowing that there won't be anymore just gives me a sense of...safety. It might be my favorite part of the game.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The best feelings in DF
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 03:27:18 pm »

There is no last wave unless your civ is extinct or you hit the pop cap.  And even at pop cap you still end up with up to 50 extra bodies.  You can change the population cap in the d_init file at any time in an active fort if you exit DF first.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 03:31:21 pm »

The pop cap is what I meant. I love hitting the pop cap I set (usually around 100).

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:37:28 pm »

when healthcare goes off without a hitch, and after 3 years, bones go from smashed to fully healed.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 03:37:41 pm »

I enjoy watching a single dwarf take out hoards of enemies to only end up dying after a training session involving a misplaced spear and his face.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 03:46:05 pm »

I like how dabbling workers won't get around to their new jobs if any other job is open. . . even cleaning is more important than learning to burn wood as a soap maker.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 04:28:24 pm »

I have to agree with slothen.  I don't know why but I just love watching the healthcare system actually work - watching the diagnosis, then cleaning the wound, suturing it, applying a cast, then after awhile seeing a healthy dwarf emerge.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 05:14:30 pm »

When a favorite dwarf of yours falls to the ground in combat and help arrives just in time.  I've gotten attached to a migrant family (wave 2) and both children have been the youngest members of the military when they joined.  Edem II, at only 14, was feeling pretty confident with his snazzy steel armor... until he came up against a goblin wielding a silver mace. OUCH is an understatement.  That mace smashed every limb, some in multiple places.  One of the metalsmiths got the kid off the battlefield while his sister guarded him against further attacks.  Which brings me to my other favorite thing. 

I agree with Slythe and slothen.  When it works, the healthcare system rocks.  It took five dwarves working in shifts to tend to the recruit's wounds.  The metalsmith who rescued him also happened to have some medical skills and helped him out the most 8).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 12:47:41 pm »

One of the most satisfying feelings for me is surviving a siege. The other day I had a 80+  Necromancer siege, My dwarves were turtling inside for at least 2 years until I finally had enough men to sally forth and slay them, I also captured their Necromancers and plan to let my war dogs chew on them.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 01:12:39 pm »

I also captured their Necromancers and plan to let my war dogs chew on them.

Nice work!  Maybe save a few for some gladiatorial games!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 01:16:44 pm »

I have some miners that have survived 4+ hospital stays with serious injuries from caveins.

Also, when your exotic animal breeding program starts producing its first offspring.

Worst feeling?  maybe when your super-legendary, artifact wearing, adamantine-clad (studded with images of artifacts and his own ascension to militia commander) militia commander goes forth to battle, and the first arrow he dodges makes him fall into a 2 z-level pit and he lands directly on his head and dies instantly.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 01:36:16 pm »

Best feeling: completing the main level of any aboveground castle-type fortress, moats, baileys, gatehouses, everything. Now the goblins will know why they fear the dwarves.

Worst? "Some migrants have arrived." I just... I have neither the time nor the patience to give you all work and burrow orders. "Order up 40 more swords and shields Urist, the mountainhome just sent us fresh recruits!"
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 01:56:57 pm »

Also, when your exotic animal breeding program starts producing its first offspring.

What animals were they?

Worst feeling?  maybe when your super-legendary, artifact wearing, adamantine-clad (studded with images of artifacts and his own ascension to militia commander) militia commander goes forth to battle, and the first arrow he dodges makes him fall into a 2 z-level pit and he lands directly on his head and dies instantly.

Yikes, that's rough!  I was actually planning on making a sparring room with a 4-level pit to help train my medics with falls from dodging.  I might hold off on that...

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 02:49:32 pm »

I think the best feeling I've been getting lately would be my militia totally decimating any force set against it so far.

The melee squads are issued steel helms, steel weapons and bronze armor (due to a lack of iron ores on site, depending on trade to build stocks, and I'm avoiding the incredibly overpowered "craft bolts, split stacks, melt down for 300% profit" method). All of them, minus the most recent 2 speardwarves are legendary in multiple skills, including shield user, fighter, striker, dodger, and armor user as well as their chosen weapon. There are only 16 melee dwarves, and 6 marksdwarves (who are MUCH less skilled, because of a lack of training opportunities) and have thus far been pitted against several necromancer sieges and at least 5 goblin ambushes at once, outnumbered 5 to 1 typically.

They haven't suffered a single wound, whether that is RNG or skill I don't know, and are quite a good asset to have. It helps my current site forces everything to assault through one of two paths, both covered by marksdwarf overlooks and usually funnels everything into a single small killbox :P

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 03:06:18 pm »

The melee squads are issued steel helms, steel weapons and bronze armor (due to a lack of iron ores on site, depending on trade to build stocks, and I'm avoiding the incredibly overpowered "craft bolts, split stacks, melt down for 300% profit" method).

Good compromise.  I often wait on steel armor, even if I have flux and iron, just so I can get everyone steel weapons first.  Steel breastplates are usually last for me, since they need so many bars!

They haven't suffered a single wound, whether that is RNG or skill I don't know, and are quite a good asset to have.

The RNG can sometimes work in the enemies favor, too, which I recently discovered.  One of my legendary speardwarves, who usually instakills goblins, came up against one who gave him a 6-page battle!

It helps my current site forces everything to assault through one of two paths, both covered by marksdwarf overlooks and usually funnels everything into a single small killbox :P

Marksdwarves have finally won me over.  For the longest time, I would just throw my hands up in frustration, but I finally got patrols and reloading to work.  I love how marksdwarves often cause enemies to fall from leg shots at the start of battles, giving the melee dwarves easier headshots 8).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4