Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Behold : Minecart powered Dwarven Swimming Lessons  (Read 3650 times)

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Behold : Minecart powered Dwarven Swimming Lessons
« on: April 06, 2013, 05:05:01 pm »

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I proudly present : The Minecart powered Dwarven bath !
It features Minecarts, Rollers, Gears, Windmills, Pressure Plates, Levers, a Pump and some Floodgates. It works well and is at least moderately, if not pretty safe. It's overly complicated but safe ... moderately dwarvy at best, I guess, sorry  ::) But it takes advantage of their otherwise not-so-bright-behaviour for their best on the other hand :D

This is the lower Level
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the upper Level
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And this is how it works :
The first route stop is on the left Track stop of each cell, set to "Ride immediately north Always". A Dwarf enters and rides the Minecart. As you can see in the first picture, they stop where the two Minecarts in the left and middle cell stopped with a fill Level of 6. From there they decide to leave and swim to the next ramp, like my Miner here did, gaining Swimming Skill.
Since the Minecart can't be retrieved, no other Dwarf enters and our Swimmer leaves the cell, activating the pressure plate. The latter is linked to the southern Gear, which activates the Roller and pushes out the Minecart to the right Track Stops. These are set to "Guide South Always" ( Do not set to ride!).
On the northern Gear is sitting a Windmill, this is where you want to add your Power Linkage. I happened to have the luck to have 40 Power from Windmills on my Map, so I used them directly.
If you want to build this, you also have to add a Lever-Link to the the Southern Gears, as they need to be "Disengaged" when the pressure plate is not activated.

I hope you enjoy this design, the Dwarves of Delermokez (Steelcage) would feel honoured if it found worthy successors :)

P.S: Over 140 views and not a single comment on this ? I would enjoy some feedback :) Ever tried this yourself ? Got ideas how to make it better ?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:20:23 am by hanni79 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Behold : Minecart powered Dwarven Swimming Lessons
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:00:06 am »

Dwarves don't gain Swimming XP while riding the minecart underwater?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:32:55 am »

i think a fluid-logic repeater that generates a cistern at 2-3 deep in a main area is a better choice for swimming exp/bathing. Not sure if its worth the price in FPS loss though.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:33:15 am »

That's completely true but not the point ^^.
You see where the two Mincarts are standing in the left and middle cell ( upper picture) ? This is where the minecarts stop (always). The Dwarf leaves the standing Minecart and is forced to swim the tiles to the next ramp, like the Miner in the upper pic, left cell does.

I guess a lower filling (less water) would mean you can make the flooded cell a bit longer, so they have to swim a longer distance to the next ramp.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 10:53:35 am »

That's completely true but not the point ^^.
That was a question, but question answered I guess.

If you made the swimming area mostly 6-deep, but with a couple of 7-deep tiles and no ramps, you could make dwarves stay in the water longer. Dwarves below Novice skill can't get out of the water without a ramp, and no dwarf can get out without a ramp if the water is 6 deep or less. You'd be forcing dwarves to get halfway to the no-panic point on their first trip. This would also allow the design to be shrunk down considerably.

I have something like that in my barracks. There's only one accessible tile of the room, and it's the up stair surrounded by water. They wrestle, they dodge, they fall in the water, they get back out again and carry on. This is a nice complement that, for dwarves who aren't active military.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 11:03:31 am »

i think a fluid-logic repeater that generates a cistern at 2-3 deep in a main area is a better choice for swimming exp/bathing. Not sure if its worth the price in FPS loss though.
That was a question, but question answered I guess.

If you made the swimming area mostly 6-deep, but with a couple of 7-deep tiles and no ramps, you could make dwarves stay in the water longer. Dwarves below Novice skill can't get out of the water without a ramp, and no dwarf can get out without a ramp if the water is 6 deep or less. You'd be forcing dwarves to get halfway to the no-panic point on their first trip. This would also allow the design to be shrunk down considerably.

@Catsup :
Dwarves gain Swimming Skill only at Level 4/7 Water and above. Also, I failed at building a wave machine ^^

@Sutremaine :
I'm somewhat sure that would insta-kill them, as they should get unconscious at 7/7 and then drown. Other Dwarves wouldn't be able to help them, too. I didn't test that, though.
The only way would be to use exactly 4/7 water in my exact setup, which brakes the Minecarts movement less -> chamber can be longer -> Dwarf would have to swim some more tiles to get out.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:59:48 am by hanni79 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 03:50:57 pm »

I'm somewhat sure that would insta-kill them, as they should get unconscious at 7/7 and then drown. Other Dwarves wouldn't be able to help them, too. I didn't test that, though.
When they're not in a minecart they begin to drown and get winded at 7/7 but go back to swimming once the tile reaches 6/7. I'm pretty confident that they'd behave this way while in a minecart.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:33:56 pm »

I thought a bit about your suggestion (post 5), but I can't think of an easy way to avoid those ramps (they are needed so the minecart safely drives in and out of the water. Also, filling it to more than 6/7 leads to the minecart getting stuck on tiles without rollers, so I would need to adjust that, too.

Could you post some pics of your swim-training "device", Sutremaine ? I think I got the basic concept, but can't figure it out completely.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 02:08:07 pm »

Can someone translate to me what those tables and arrows are in the lower level picture.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 08:23:02 pm »

Those are Rollers, set to accelerate from N->S, highest speed.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 09:42:30 pm »

Pretty simple, though it requires a certain creation order. The tile between the internal door and the training area needs to be dug out after the room is sized. Also, this particular example is reduced in size -- it should have eight tiles of water.

I may extend the design a little, as only one dwarf at a time gets to stand up and this probably slows down training considerably. So instead of this:

Code: [Select]
7<7

Something more like this:

6+7+6
66<66
6+6+6

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 01:54:12 pm »

I wonder, does this still work if you don't use a loop around and just let the minecart smack into a wall at the end of the track to stop it?
Basically the water trench look like this.
R==========##
##########**#
A slow roller covers the entire length of that track (=). Dwarf enter the swimming trench from the ramp side (R), slide along and bump into the wall on the right (presumably slow enough not to cause damage). Then the dwarf gets out, swim to the R side. Go on to trigger the roller to push the cart back out of the water trench.
This way it should allow you to compact each swimming section into a 2xN lane.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.