Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 332

Author Topic: Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus  (Read 257221 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An Adventurer OOC: Waitlist Open
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 05:19:07 pm »

Now that's a unique character right there. I like Jewel.

People were initially supposed to have Adventurer 1 plus any two levels, but since people did "plus any three", I pretty much shrugged and said "Sure, let's go with that."  Feel free to add another level.

The main virtue is fine due to how specific it is and the flaws that come about as a result. I'm also quietly assuming that there is also a bunch of cultural stuff inherent to the Virtue that didn't get included because it could be developed/explored IC better than a blurb about it in the profile.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 05:34:45 pm »

Do our characters have to worship gods? I added some just in case, but it would be nice to know if they are necessary.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2013, 05:46:19 pm »

If you're asking whether or not you have to have any amount of devotion or concern, the answer is "no." Your character can just sort of go "Yeah, I worship these Gods" and pay absolutely no attention to them.

If you mean whether or not you have to pick three gods, the answer is "You don't have to, but it's a good idea to do so." because of a) the gods physically exist and have made themselves known b) people are going to nag and try to convert your character and c) the rules concerning death. Following Gods, even if in name only, provides an additional, small chance to not die.

This begs the question of "What happens if we die?" and I'll answer that, too.

For one, your character is dead. I make a few rolls to see if your character is fated to die at that moment (Spoiler alert: The answer is almost always "yes") and if the Gods you serve happen to see fit to intervene (Spoiler alert: the answer is almost always "They don't.", but the odds of them doing so increase with your Level and devotion to them.)

Additionally, if I end up not launching the Beta Party, your character is put on the Waitlist until enough characters die to allow your return to the game. There are assorted expensive and/or illegal ways in which a character can be brought back to (un)life, depending on how messy the kill was and how much time has passed. These range from acceptable to generally crappy. No matter what, if your character takes enough trauma to die, you're not going to have the same character even if they are rezzed perfectly.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2013, 06:06:43 pm »

Yeah, I have a thing about making traits both good and bad, or them logically derived from one to another. Typically take an idea of "what do I want them to do, be like, or etc and what would this logically do as a result?" Funny example is that one of my characters in another game, both their good and bad traits are named the same, all just different spins taken on the same traits.

As for the virtue, sure. Originally I was thinking of more a personal thing with no other ideas about it, as I have no idea what the average Earth Elementalkind is like as I didn't want to make vast swaths of assumptions upon an already detailed and defined setting. I was kind of leery of "easily distinguishable" as a result, because I was making an assumption of what they look liked.

There are a lot of things that can be derived from the virtues and faults that point to fears, vices, strengths, weaknesses, emphasis, and other various cultural ideas I'm sure. Although I wrote most of this in a half-asleep, fatigued state and I won't lie, such ideas about culture was unintentional I'm afraid due to the above "assumptions" thing.

I suppose as an example...
Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)

I could go on, but those are things most present in my head and I don't wish to bore anyone nor drown them in text.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:08:16 pm by Xanmyral »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2013, 09:01:17 pm »

Goddamn, Xanmyral, you are amazing at making characters. I just made a pseudo-Merlin doucheface expy.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2013, 09:02:31 pm »

I am a big fan of a wide open sandbox, where the party can take on interesting sidequests, develop as characters, and have creative control over the universe.  I don't want to shove you all onto the rails and litter landmines off to the side as additional discouragement.  I don't want y'all to be reactive to my whims, but for myself to adapt to your wants and needs.

The point is for us to work together tell an entertaining story that satisfies everyone. It's my job to provide the trails, but it's your job to decide which of them you want to walk down. Or to say "Fuck that!" and blaze a new one, trusting me to provide interesting scenery on the way to where you want to go.

I hope that makes sense, at least...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2013, 09:04:30 pm »

I do. For now, Myrln (and I suspect everyone else) is motivated by profit. Which is done for adventuring stuff. Don't worry, the derailibg will eventually happen.
Sig! Onol

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2013, 11:03:09 pm »

I'm fairly certain the angelborn is motivated by his arrogance, while Morgrod is doing it for kicks and what it thinks is right. (Which is a VERY messed up worldview.)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2013, 11:06:27 pm »

You two do manage to get quite the convincing rivalry going.
Sig! Onol

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2013, 11:07:56 pm »

Hah, no I understand. I'm actually very glad to hear that, I'm quite similar in that I prefer games where it's more "do what you want, have goals, this is the world, what story does your character make in it" kind of thing. One of the reasons I love games like Mount and Blade for offering a "fuck everything, I'm gonna be king now" option, even if I never wind up take it I love the fact that the option is at least there. Really I love anything that gives me options of what I can do, it's invariably what draws me to these kind of games.

One of my memorable characters came from a redbox game where it was literally "you're in a town, there are places you can go, you're an adventurer. Have fun, do whatever." Wound up with an party of of all kinds that was pretty fun while it lasted, ended up doing a whole bunch of crazy stuff that I fondly look back on now.

All I was really meaning by was that I didn't want to mess with something before getting the go-ahead to do so, I didn't know your policy with the setting and characters in it so I tried not to assume anything. I play things safe, basically. I know now that your okay about said assumptions and play with them and off of them, I believe I can safely assume.

Also, wouldn't really say I'm awesome at making characters Xantalos, more just that I make 'em and they're of varying quality. Just because you have a character heavily based on someone doesn't mean they're bad, heck you're on a crusade to kill one of them in another game that was originally based on Scruffy the Janitor.

Also, I swear I don't normally write this much. No idea what's up with that.

EDITED FOR MINOR CLARITY BECAUSE OF SLEEP DEPRIVATION.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:10:50 pm by Xanmyral »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2013, 11:10:52 pm »

Which game was that, DF adventure mode? :P

Oh yeah, that guy. It's notable that I'm now a member of a split personality thing in that game, as well having taken a heavy religious bent.
Mutant Vengeance Jesus activate!
Sig! Onol

Xero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2013, 11:13:58 pm »

Zoah is motivated by his desire to return to the service of Shins Legions. He was quietly discharged because he refused to follow an order that would have led to his men getting killed. So instead of them all dying on a suicide mission, he did things his way. If he can become a master adventurer he can earn his place back.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2013, 11:15:27 pm »

Huh, nice. It's always good to have actual motivation to do stuff like this.

Should we PM the other two?
Sig! Onol

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2013, 11:19:42 pm »

It just now occurs to me that I can't say "Xan" because there are two of you. Hrm. Xanta and Xanmy. That'll do. Also, now I can't say X without thinking how weird it is. Ecks. Eeee-cks. Zaaan-tah. Ecks-anta. Eck-santa. And Zan-me. Ecksan-me. >__<

Also, I'd like to take this moment to say Xero is a good friend / moirail for years, and that he was definitely involved in the creation of this universe. See Daimonas? That's one of his contributions. xD

You can if you like. I'm going on a "give it a day" thing before I send out PM-pokes.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2013, 11:22:34 pm »

I just wanted to make sure I could annoy as many people as possible settle any disputes about leadership and such. Through harassment reasoned debate. I can do that now that I have access to a computer and can type fast.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 332