Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Choosing specific animals for cages?  (Read 1343 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Choosing specific animals for cages?
« on: May 21, 2013, 09:35:23 pm »

Is there a way to view a specific animal before placing it in a cage?  I'm trying to cage most of my grizzlies as they're breeding out of control.  It would be helpful to at least view the gender in the cage assignment screen, but I can't see any info other than species.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:38:25 pm by VerdantSF »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing specific animals for cages?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 11:58:58 pm »

not many options here, but here are two:

1. cage all grizzlies (multiple cages).  You can view creature from the cage itself, allowing you to selectively release the ones you want active.  Beware of pasture/cage repeat bug.

2. If you just need gender, and nothing more, edit the raws so the female grizzly caste has a different name.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:21:39 am »

Thank you, especially for the caste idea.  That'll definitely help me keep things sorted to get this breeding program under control.  Other than editing the creature file in the saved raw, is there anything else I should watch out for before I start DF back up?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 01:20:02 am »

Name change should be simple and without any hitches, considering you can make all sorts of more substantive changes to the raws without incident.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 01:32:04 am »

Awesome, now all of my adult female bears are displayed as "grizzly sows." 

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 03:43:24 am »

Is there a way to view a specific animal before placing it in a cage?  I'm trying to cage most of my grizzlies as they're breeding out of control.  It would be helpful to at least view the gender in the cage assignment screen, but I can't see any info other than species.

DfHack autobutcher/zone plugin. It adds a search option to the pasture UI that lets you filter animals by gender/name too. Mayor lifesaver.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124708.0

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 12:09:03 pm »

Thanks! 

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 10:19:02 am »

DfHack autobutcher/zone plugin. It adds a search option to the pasture UI that lets you filter animals by gender/name too. Mayor lifesaver.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124708.0

I Have problems with the autobutcher function. I set it to autowatch and it creates a list with the default settings, but when I wish to modify it:
autobucther target fk=10 ... GIGANT_DINGO it sets the new target, but if I run autobucther list then it is back to the standard right away. What am I doing wrong?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 07:00:12 pm »

Might be pointing out the obvious, but the linked thread or somewhere similar might be a better place to ask the more detailed questions about specific functions of third party add-ons and how to use them.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.