Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems placing a mill  (Read 565 times)

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems placing a mill
« on: August 22, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »

So I tried placing a mill, on the right-hand (eastern) side of the cave river.  First time I placed it, the pattern for dark green (X) and light green (x) was like

XXx
~xX
XXx

(Not 100% sure about the leftmost three, but it's the north, east, and south X's that were the problem.  With the water due west, my mason finished building it and sat there, confused, with no way out.  So I had him dismantle it and fiddled with positioning, trying to place it in slightly different places on the riverbank, until it offered me a layout like

XXx
~Xx
XXx

So I figured, ok, try that.  This time, construction simply never completes.  The mason's been sitting there for quite a while, construction is marked as "nearly done", if I suspend it he picks up and happily goes off to do something else, if I re-enable it he comes back and just sits there some more.  I figure it's because it's trying to build a non-passable tile at his current location.

Should these cases be allowed?  I would think the center tile and one of the three orthogonals that isn't water should _always_ be clear.

I have a backup of the save if you need it.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems placing a mill
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 05:49:00 pm »

Oops, that second case isn't quite right; I just double-checked, and the actual layout it is trying for is
Xxx
~XX
Xxx

Still the same basic problem: the central tile is impassable.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 06:05:00 pm »

And, if it matters, the terrain I am trying to place it on looks like

~"`
~~'
~'.

Except that the middle ~ is a brown (muddy) one, and all the ~ are double ones (can't find the ASCII code for that right now).  The mason can stand on that muddy ground fine.  And the X over it when I'm placing the mill isn't red, so I would think the build would work.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 12:02:00 am »

dang, the wiki said mills have to be on the outside river.

just as well i've planned my farms for outside river farming..

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 12:09:00 am »

Eh?  Well, I did finally manage to place it, on the cave river, one tile south of where I was trying - so the muddy ~ is the north center tile.

I haven't actually tried to mill anything yet.  Been too busy doing other things, the cave wheat can wait.  But it's built and lets me queue up commands.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 01:35:00 am »

You CAN place the mill in the underground river. Someone please correct that peice of wiki information.

All you need to do is make sure the red X's column and JUST the red X's column are touching river water (not mud)

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 12:11:00 pm »

haven't actually got around to using the mill yet.. what would happen if the river floods? does the mill get flooded? or does the part of the structure seal it off (if constructed in the proper place.)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 12:15:00 pm »

It does get flooded, but the river's natural flooding isn't very dangerous. There's a remote possibility someone working in the mill could be pushed into the river, but I doubt it, and even then they can usually swim back just fine if the flood knocks them off a bridge etc.