Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Sappho Experiments On Herself - And You! [Summer Vacation!]  (Read 37686 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

I've decided to try to put my obsessively analytical personality to good use and document things as I go. I'm always trying to understand how and why my body and mind work they way they do, and how to modify them. I have a lot of physical and neurological problems, so it's an interesting study with no shortage of possibilities to consider.

Spoiler: Sodium (Ongoing) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gluten (Completed) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Vitamin B12 (Ongoing) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Volunteers Wanted! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:16:28 pm by Sappho »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Sappho Experiments On Herself [Gluten-Free Week]
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 01:23:10 pm »

Gluten and Salt are REALLY hard to avoid unless you eat nothing but raw vegetables.  Good luck!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 01:24:27 pm »

Gluten and Salt are REALLY hard to avoid unless you eat nothing but raw vegetables.  Good luck!

Salt yes, but my mom just finished her month-of-gluten free and came to the conclusion it wasn't as hard as she thought it would be. She was very diligent, though.

Good luck to you though, Sappho.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 01:41:09 pm »

No reason for them to be raw. I have a great bamboo steamer and I can make very good stir-frys with just fresh chopped herbs and veggies for flavor.

In any case, I'm not cutting out salt completely, but I've reduced it immensely from the amount I used to eat (which was a lot). If I put a normal amount of salt in the food I cook, it's still drastically less salt than I would get in, say, a single slice of pizza or a falafel pita at a food stand, or any kind of instant meal you'd get at the supermarket.

It is perfectly possible to just eat potatoes, corn, and rice for starchy stuff and avoid gluten, but it's definitely not as filling or as easy as smearing something on a slice of bread in 30 seconds and just eating. I actually thought this would be fairly easy, but it's only 4 days in and I'm having a really hard time. I'll have to persist at least until my hormones stabilize, as they can make things seem more difficult than they are.

In case anyone is interested, I got the information about salt and autoimmune disease here: http://www.trueactivist.com/scientists-officially-link-processed-foods-to-autoimmune-disease/

EDIT: Also, it's important to note that the salt I'm eating is mainly sea salt, which is quite healthy. According to this research, the problem is refined salt, which is what I'm trying to eliminate as much as possible.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:43:30 pm by Sappho »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 01:43:33 pm »

Get some potato bread.

And avoiding processed foods most definitely has benefits beyond not consuming gluten or salt. Make sure not to blame gluten on what crappy preservatives are actually doing.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 01:57:36 pm »

How do you eat your corn? Cornbread should be fairly filling, I reckon.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 01:59:38 pm »

Agreed cornbread is quite good and quite filling.
just very very dry..

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 02:05:25 pm »

It should go well with a stew of some sort.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 02:08:20 pm »

Get some potato bread.

And avoiding processed foods most definitely has benefits beyond not consuming gluten or salt. Make sure not to blame gluten on what crappy preservatives are actually doing.

I stopped almost all processed foods when I decided to cut most of the salt, since the two go hand in hand. For sure I am avoiding preservatives, though I am only human and having been raised on McDonald's and instant ramen, I'm pretty strongly conditioned to crave the stuff, so I still indulge sometimes. These exceptions will *probably* not kill me.

I changed the salt about a month ago. I have definitely noticed some improvements. Now I'm doing the gluten as a separate test. The gluten I'm cutting isn't processed stuff really though. It's bread (some of which was homemade with sea salt and no preservatives, and the local style of bread contains salt but no preservatives and goes bad after just a day or two), homemade pizza, homemade buns and dumplings, vegetable soup with asian noodles, salads with cracked durum bulgur... This stuff is not unhealthy on its own, but if I do have an intolerance, I should notice a difference by cutting it from my diet. I honestly hope I don't feel any better, because I love those foods so much, and I've felt hungry for four days now.

Potato bread is mostly wheat flour, just with a little potato added. To my knowledge, it is not possible to bake bread using only potatoes.

I am going to try cornbread tonight though, gluten-free with cornmeal being the only grain. No idea how it will turn out - it's my first time making cornbread from scratch and definitely the first time without wheat flour in it. Wish me luck! As for other types of corn, they don't grow a lot of corn around here, so it's not easy to get corn on the cob and such. If I want corn I usually buy it frozen, but I don't use it very often. It's all about the potatoes in central Europe!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 02:27:41 pm »

Potato bread is mostly wheat flour, just with a little potato added. To my knowledge, it is not possible to bake bread using only potatoes.

This is an incredible disappointment.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 02:33:46 pm »

Agreed.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 02:48:43 pm »

Interesting. There are, as people have said, few ways of pulling this off Although since, I'm trying to remember, about 10% of the population is allergic to some degree, and those who know live fine.

Luck to you.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 05:51:20 pm »

Good luck!
Side note: this would make a good How to be a Human
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 06:03:33 pm »

According to Wikipedia, the potato:wheat flour ratio can vary between having mostly flour to mostly potato. Unfortunately, the recipe for Irish potato bread linked from that article calls for a 1/2tsp of salt, so it might not be what you want for your salt-reduced diet, though you can substitute oatmeal for the flour.
Darn it, now I wan to try that recipe, especially the variant with apple filling.

Hope this works out for you, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 08:48:15 pm »

Hmmm, I've gone gluten-free before by accident (I was trying to cut out white flour, which resulted in my cutting out all flour).  The horrible hunger does go away after a few days, or at least it did for me... I ended up backsliding due to stress, though.  While I was on that diet I'll admit that I felt much better.  More alert, better mood, all that good stuff.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17