Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to mod Orc Fortress and Dwarf Fortress so they can work together?  (Read 2642 times)

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While I realize that, for example, kobold-fort can't coexist in the same world as dorf-fort or orc-fort because only soil is diggable, is there really anything stopping someone from altering dorfs & orcs so that both are playable at the same world, perhaps by swapping around controlled civilization stuff in the RAWs?

It would be very, very cool to have both orc forts and dwarf forts set up in the same world. I don't mind paying a price like one side not getting livestock or whatever. Is it just stuff like orcs only being able to powder mithril etc., or is there more to it?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Nope, nothing stopping you, it's quite easy in fact.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Orcish_Civilization#Multi-playable_Civ_Worlds

I've thought it would be kind of fun to make a "balanced" worldgen with the same number of good and evil civs (and some mutually hostile civs) and do a pair of community forts in which, in two alternate universes, Dwarves and Orcs embark to the same location :)

I guess that with Toady's upcoming changes making the world more persistent, multi-civ worlds will be even more interesting in the future.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:24:58 pm by smakemupagus »

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds utterly awesome, thank you. Now the only question is what races to go for...

At a minimum, frost giants are a must as an enemy for dorfs. Elves are a must as an enemy for orcs.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

I like ~2 trade allies for each, and then maybe add a couple of indiscriminate hostiles too.  So something like

Dwarves, Elfs, Humans
Tiaga orcs, Deep Drow, Frosties
Automatons, Minotaur, Trog, Ants

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

I just realized this is quite easier to do in an Orcish world than in a Dwarvish world, and updated my wiki post.

Should still be possible in a Dwarf world and not too hard; but it's going to be a bit more involved that the simple uncommenting one line.   (the reason that it's hard for me to say precisely is that it's simple in either mode on my computer because I usually have my development version of Orcfort raws, as opposed to the version as deployed with the main mod that have the GUI switch tags built in...)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:24:12 pm by smakemupagus »

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh whoops I did that and in the world I genned that'd be taiga orcs & dorfs, the race choices were frost giant outsider, automaton outsider... then like treant, shade man, two legged rhino lizard, etc. Any clue what the heck I did wrong?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

No I don't, sorry.  Sounds like classic duplicated raws errors, which would show up in your errorlog.  But I don't know why you would get that; just uncommenting the CIV_CONTROLLABLE won't duplicate any entries.

... Did you by chance follow my advice to make a copy of the old entity file, but then left both copies in the folder?  (If so my mistake for not being more specific, you have to move the copy somewhere else)

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you for pointing out the errorlog thing, which I didn't know existed. Whoops, looks like I REALLY screwed up some stuff I didn't know existed. You're right, it wasn't the dual civ thing.