Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Possibly the best, cheapest defence for your fort  (Read 7745 times)

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly the best, cheapest defence for your fort
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 11:41:02 pm »

I tend to use military might. Armored meatshields backed with a heavy and light bow corps. the meat shields usually get the most kills, but it never hurts when one or two are eyeless when our marksmen take out the strongest targets with arrows to the eyes, heart, and yes, knees. I've determined that disabling everything except hunting on my marksmen squad and letting them stay barracks-less is the best training for crossbows. And it means that they are actually bringing something in with the endless supply of arrows I give them.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 11:43:50 pm »

the answer to all those is fortifications in the wall+marksdwarves. Or ballista.

Or magma. The answer is always magma.
Answer to HFS?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 12:10:05 am »

the answer to all those is fortifications in the wall+marksdwarves. Or ballista.

Or magma. The answer is always magma.

Yes magma. That was Boatmurdered's answer for everything. Look where that got them. Personally, I just don't like most of the traps that we have. You can put a rock fall trap out in the open where it would be way to obvious given the rig that would be needed. Then you have the weapon traps. What I end up picturing given how they work is a diabolical device that not even the absolute, most idiotic Goblin would get within a hundred meters of(Think a Mr. Handy  on a post with even more arms.). I'd like to see these sorts of traps need to be built inside. Granted I never even make it to the first siege for, various reasons, and don't get much of a chance to play with traps but right now their nonsensical workings grate on me a bit.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 04:55:11 am »

On my first pretty successful fort I'd used lots of cage traps and practically nothing got through the front door.
I then decided that it was just too damn powerful, so I tried an army-only defence and everyone died...

Balance is a beautiful thing.
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 05:57:50 am »

Then you have the weapon traps. What I end up picturing given how they work is a diabolical device that not even the absolute, most idiotic Goblin would get within a hundred meters of(Think a Mr. Handy  on a post with even more arms.).
I imagine them being elemental spirits bound by dwarves to one simple task and waiting in the nether realm for the moment they can perform it.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 08:00:16 am »

The entrance to one of my forts is a pit with ballistae on all sides. Whenever anything passes through I just assign all my siege dorfs to fire at will and hope they don't hit the guy across from them. They always do.

In retrospect this isn't exactly cheap or good or even safe.

Yea.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 12:29:36 pm »

building 10x10 cage traps is neither quick nore cheap.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 04:18:41 pm »

However 10x10 weapon traps with 10 ☼serrated green glass disks☼ each is poetry.

Some lag may ensue though.

Stugosaurus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 05:13:46 pm »

Crush Corridor

80x1 corridor filled with bridges raising to the side all linked to one lever, bait animal behind a bend, watch animal above entrance, couple of cage traps to catch the odd runner or a dragon. Can also lead into the fort or just use the bait animal.
Wenn you get the ambush notice put the bridge lever on repeat and forget.

Has stopped 100% of all ambushes and sieges in my forts, quick to designate, cheap to build. Use it whenever I want to focus more on building than on combat.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 05:41:11 pm »

Easy and cheap defense, 10 wooden spike balls. Put them in 1 trap, in 10, whatever. Few goblins get past it (in the begining), and you can have it done extremely quickly. It should buy you time to get a real defense.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 06:39:11 pm »

I envision weapon traps more like this:

Goblin steps on the pressure plate, and then some of the wall's masonry is revealed to be a false front. Spears harpoon out of the walls with great force, then retract and the wall panels slide back into place, defying anyone to consider it any but an ordinary stone wall. (Same for floors.)  Variants include the ever popular swung sword whiplash mechanism, the giant axe blades falling from the cieling, or the giant circular saw mainstay.

In all cases, I imagine them retreating back into innocuous looking "defects" in the walls and floors, and appearing quite banal when not activated.

The one I have difficulty contemplating is the cage trap.  How does one NOT notice the enormous cages decoratively swaying overhead?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 06:39:42 pm »

Goblin steps on the pressure plate, and then some of the wall's masonry is revealed to be a false front. Spears harpoon out of the walls with great force, then retract and the wall panels slide back into place, defying anyone to consider it any but an ordinary stone wall. (Same for floors.)  Variants include the ever popular swung sword whiplash mechanism, the giant axe blades falling from the cieling, or the giant circular saw mainstay.

In all cases, I imagine them retreating back into innocuous looking "defects" in the walls and floors, and appearing quite banal when not activated.

The one I have difficulty contemplating is the cage trap.  How does one NOT notice the enormous cages decoratively swaying overhead?

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 06:43:54 pm »

False ceiling. The pressure plate causes the false ceiling to slide out of the way, and a cage falls down ontop of the intruder. The false ceiling slides back into position, awaiting a new cage to be inserted into it. The cage clearly defies the laws of physics as they can stretch as much as needed to capture anything, so its feasable to assume they can shrink into a tiny storage space.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 11:17:45 pm »

Cages pop out of the floor, Kinda like the Dr DoofenSchmirtz traps.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 11:19:15 pm »

Cages pop out of the floor, Kinda like the Dr DoofenSchmirtz traps.
Pages: 1 [2]