Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #21: Feedback  (Read 105215 times)

Wythom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #21: Feedback
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 07:43:15 am »

I can get started on doing the transcript. What is the best way to post it back here that everyone can use?
Where did my other brain go?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 08:36:53 am »

I just put it on pastebin last time. That worked pretty well.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 10:33:46 am »

The new combat system sounds godddamn awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 09:16:24 pm »

I think if there is one thing I really like about Toady as a developer is that he has yet to really lash out against his fanbase.

He has had people complain and rant about it but he never even seems to take it in anger or is all that depressed about it either. He is sort of cool in the calm and collected way.

The ONLY person I've seen who got any sort of reaction out of him basically got his donations back and sent away... and it wasn't immediately either.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 01:04:52 am »

I think if there is one thing I really like about Toady as a developer is that he has yet to really lash out against his fanbase.

He has had people complain and rant about it but he never even seems to take it in anger or is all that depressed about it either. He is sort of cool in the calm and collected way.
You mean he acts like an adult, and behaves professionally? That really shouldn't be a notable deviation from the norm.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 01:20:33 am »

You mean he acts like an adult, and behaves professionally? That really shouldn't be a notable deviation from the norm.

Ohh you would be surprised how common this is.

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 02:11:57 pm »

Theoretically it shouldn't, but it is very easy to empirically confirm that this kind of behavior is indeed quite far from the norm, among younger and older, working and non-working people alike. :D

The ONLY person I've seen who got any sort of reaction out of him basically got his donations back and sent away... and it wasn't immediately either.

Any links to this incident? I am somewhat interested in knowing what one person would have to do to provoke an active response from someone like Tarn Adams.
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 03:12:28 pm »

Not to bismerch Tarn's alleged levelheadedness, but I recall reading about an incident where Tom got publicly angry at a developer who sought to make a better dwarf fortress clone. The grievance was legitimate, and Toady has reasserted that games that promise to come out soon and be a better Dwarf Fortress annoy him, though most often such portrayal of games comes from reviewers, not developers.

So it is possible to make Toady angry. (But be ready for a ban if you do)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 03:16:59 pm »

I can get started on doing the transcript.

If you need some help with that, Wythom, I can kick in some time. Don't want to start over again if someone's already making a go of it.

I am somewhat interested in knowing what one person would have to do to provoke an active response from someone like Tarn Adams.

If I recall correctly, the person was a) upset about the direction and style of DF development, which is a reasonable position, but also b) they were very upset that donating to Toady didn't give their suggestions and arguments a lot more weight to influence development. They got very loud about it, and the argument dragged across the boards for a bit until Toady decided to just refund their donation and show 'em the door. He did it in his normal calm and collected way though.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

DwarfMan98

• Bay Watcher
  • If you Fus Ro Dah a Gandalf, prepare for FUN!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 09:02:16 pm »

REDACT
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:04:33 pm by DwarfMan98 »
You know what Dwarf Fortress should have? DRAGONS. And Dragonborns. And Reapers. And Gandalf. Then the Dovahkiin can Fus Ro Dah (Unrelenting Force) Gandalf ("You shall not pass!") and make a paradox!
Thou shalt not pass! Fus Ro Dah!
Hydrogen, helium, lithium, berryllium, boron, carbon, nitrogen... I am proud to be a nerd. I should be Urist McNerd. MUHUHUHUHUHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAAAAAAHA! 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693. None of that is the password for my account... I think...

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 01:49:43 pm »

I wonder how the new combat mechanics will play out in Dwarf Mode? I know PCs will be executing devestating combo techniques in Adventurer Mode, but will it make any difference to two NPCs going at it? Hopefully it will result in the generation of more interesting combat reports.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 11:07:40 pm »

I wonder how the new combat mechanics will play out in Dwarf Mode? I know PCs will be executing devestating combo techniques in Adventurer Mode, but will it make any difference to two NPCs going at it? Hopefully it will result in the generation of more interesting combat reports.
At the very least, NPCs will send standard attacks at each other. We know that enraged creatures can only utilise 'wild' attacks, adding a drawback to what was previously a straight buff. There is obviously a chance that Toady may have added code for the different swings to the combat AI, but this hasn't really been stated.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 11:56:13 am »

If I recall correctly, the person was a) upset about the direction and style of DF development, which is a reasonable position, but also b) they were very upset that donating to Toady didn't give their suggestions and arguments a lot more weight to influence development. They got very loud about it, and the argument dragged across the boards for a bit until Toady decided to just refund their donation and show 'em the door. He did it in his normal calm and collected way though.

Was that the reason necro910 was banned, or was it someone completely different?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 12:57:17 pm »

Necro was banned for spamming his MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAA thing in every thread ever.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 03:02:33 pm »

Kind of surprised that Hill or Deep dwarves weren't mentioned. Are they still due for this release?

Otherwise, great talk! This update sounds pretty amazing.
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5