Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #21: Feedback  (Read 105210 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #21: Feedback
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 03:13:17 pm »

Kind of surprised that Hill or Deep dwarves weren't mentioned. Are they still due for this release?

Otherwise, great talk! This update sounds pretty amazing.
They are, or rather, their sites are. Theye were simply something Toady wasn't working on in the recent time.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Urist Mcfortwrecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 07:55:20 pm »

have you considered a text to speech program to make your own transcripts? it might be pretty cool to try!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 01:47:04 am »

have you considered a text to speech program to make your own transcripts? it might be pretty cool to try!
I'm pretty sure it would have to be a speech-to-text program, actually. Those tend not to work as well as mechanical translation in the other direction.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 02:10:52 am »

Youtube has automatic transcription (the 'CC' button).  The results aren't really up to par.

Everlund

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 03:22:24 am »

Youtube has automatic transcription (the 'CC' button).  The results aren't really up to par.

Yes, but it's HEEEELARIOUS, though.
There is no try, only kill or die

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 07:24:59 pm »

YouTube is an example of how well they work without calibration to your voice and accent... in other word's it's not really applicable.

Although I'm told that people using the type of programs that you calibrate to your voice and accent have to correct things here and there too, but I imagine they don't have to correct so much that it would have been easier to type it out in the first place.

Of course, Toady typing out fifty or even ten minor corrections is still more of Toady's time than any of us typing out the whole thing, and Toady's got to get back to developing the game, so...
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

PT_Fort

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2013, 09:50:02 pm »

I thought there would be at least one open-source speech-to-text program available...

In the meantime, I invite everyone to crowd-source a transcript using Google Docs with me. I'll try to get some done over the next few days. Link to edit: http://goo.gl/T9Lul

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2013, 09:41:48 am »

I tried running it through the adobe text-to-speech engine, well the results are as bad as expected: my brain hurts after trying to read it... :(

Anyway, here's the link: http://pastebin.com/Mwfx0uRy

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2013, 10:25:26 am »

Thanks a lot to whoever does the transcripts, but could you please break big blocks of text into paragraphs? That would make it a lot easier to read.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

PT_Fort

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2013, 11:49:34 pm »

So the transcript is going well. Since yesterday we've got about the first 10 minutes done. Thank you so much to the people who helped me with that, and especially fricy.

Please feel free to jump in and help: http://goo.gl/T9Lul. I've left time markers every 5 minutes in the speech-to-text that fricy posted, like [1:10:37]. So it should be pretty easy to grab a short section and fix up the speech-to-text with the audio at that point.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2013, 03:19:37 am »

I just skipped a bit, and did about 0:55 to 1:01 - I didn't bother going back to catch anything I missed but it at least seems more comprehensible. 

First bit looks really good.

Edit:  now up to about 25 minutes in, with some gaps.  It keeps getting better - stuff about diving on people from above and the momentum adding to you attacks, mounts, etc.  Everyone go finish help finish it!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:17:36 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Yazman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2013, 01:58:43 am »

I'm going to go over the entire thing, correct any errors in what's done so far, and complete everything that isn't done. I'll post again when I'm finished.

*UPDATE* Holy shit I didn't realise the size of the task, lol. Well I've completed the first 40 minutes of the DFtalk. There seemed to be some mistakes with the timestamps, I dunno. So they aren't really reliable. But I placed a note at the top saying so, and I also placed a big note where I stopped editing.

I might do more, I hope what I've done helps :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:31:20 am by Yazman »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2013, 05:37:16 am »

That's awesome!

I got bored transcribing the adventure mode combat stuff and decided to go through some for the Q&A - it's labeled and the timestamps seem pretty good to me where I've been, since I actually added a couple. 

BRB, reading more transcript.  :-)

Edit:  just saw this:
Kind of surprised that Hill or Deep dwarves weren't mentioned. Are they still due for this release?
They were mentioned in the answer to a question about 'true moria' - not transcribed yet, question at 1:12:20 - and they seem likely to be delayed, since it was 'when we get to them'.  Not entirely clear :/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:50:36 am by PeridexisErrant »
 Donations here.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2013, 12:21:31 pm »

Edit:  just saw this:
They were mentioned in the answer to a question about 'true moria' - not transcribed yet, question at 1:12:20 - and they seem likely to be delayed, since it was 'when we get to them'.  Not entirely clear :/
That's about the hill/deep dwarves as an extension of your fortress - that's something that wasn't realistically on the table for this release. Only their sites are in for this time, and still are.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2013, 06:20:48 pm »

That's about the hill/deep dwarves as an extension of your fortress - that's something that wasn't realistically on the table for this release. Only their sites are in for this time, and still are.
Ah, cool. I guess Embark Anywhere can help with that!

And an update for people waiting for the transcript: the only thing still missing is the answers in the Q&A section. 
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5