Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #21: Feedback  (Read 105243 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #21: Feedback
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2013, 09:26:15 pm »

I didn't realize the transcript was being crowd sourced. Yesterday I finished transcribing the whole talk into notepad and sent it to Toady. Still, if you guy's aren't far away it could be nice to have two versions. Though the Q&A part with Tarn and Zach is like half of the talk.

Yazman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2013, 11:31:23 pm »

DG, if you don't mind, you could always go through the current crowdsourced one and then replace the unedited bits with your transcriptions.

**edit** Nevermind, I just noticed you said you already sent it to Toady. That's cool too.

PT_Fort

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2013, 11:38:22 pm »

I've PMed DG asking him if I/he could add it to the crowd-sourced one.

I don't know if a version with elements of both could be of higher quality. I wouldn't want to waste Toady's time, maybe he could update it/post two versions? I don't want to waste anyone's work...

Anyways, I'm happy to see that people really stepped in and helped to transcribe. I think next DF Talk, we could crowdsource it in less than a week.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2013, 12:31:44 am »

I've emailed my file to Pt_Fort. Feel free to use whatever you need from it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2013, 12:39:22 am »

I just read DG's email.  I'm not sure where people are at, but if one of them arrives at a final state I can put it up and credit everybody.  I think DG's had the Q&A, but there were also some parts with [indistinct] that might be merged from the other one, then I can edit in the Q&A names myself.  I HTML'd the last one, but if this one ends up with a version that has things with

<tr><td>Speaker:</td><td>Words.</td></tr>

for use in the table/combined transcript, that'd be cool.  Or I can do it, if something is otherwise ready to go.

I'll attempt to remember to put a note in the thread for the next one to focus work in here, perhaps, to avoid duplication of effort.  Sorry for all the inconvenience!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 01:28:04 am »

No inconvenience on my end. It was all voluntary and an experience if nothing else. I wasn't sure if I was going to actually go through with it when I decided to give it a shot, and that's why I didn't think to mention it to anyone. That way, if I gave up before finishing no-one would have reason to be disappointed. Truthfully though, I prefer to work alone and if I had known others had already started I'd likely not have done anything. Sorry I didn't know about the html tags.

You don't get an appreciation for the work mallocks put in until you actually transcribe one of these things yourself.  :D So props to mallocks wherever he is.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2013, 01:51:34 am »

@PT_Fort: Let me know if the txt-to-speech version was any help, I can do it next time too if it speeds things up.

Cheers,
f.

Yazman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2013, 04:53:32 am »

In regards to the text-to-speech version, I went through maybe 40% of it and some of it was just atrocious, on the other hand there were bits that seemed to be ok, but they still needed some serious editing. A lot of it I ended up just transcribing by hand, although the text-to-speech was a decent guideline at least.

PT_Fort

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2013, 10:59:24 am »

I added the answers from DG's version to the crowdsourced one. I've also started adding HTML tags to it. I think all's that left is to add the
Code: [Select]
</td></tr> at the end of people talking, maybe add some
<br> to break up paragraphs, and just to make sure everything is otherwise nice. Should be ready to post in a day or two I suppose.

@DG: You did a really good job. Thank you so much. And yeah, mallocks did a ton of work.

@fricy: I thought it was helpful. Even just to put timestamps into. Once I did that, a few people took whole sections and fixed them up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2013, 12:15:15 am »

Honestly with what Toady said about the limitations of making a bigger world.

I am somewhat of the opinion that the Dwarf Fortress world should be bigger but not necessarily fuller.

When it comes to how slow generation runs it isn't the geography and it is very minor the civilizations. It is just the actors.

If the game expanded but didn't add more actors it would work.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2013, 10:14:01 am »

You could simulate that by taking the civ-related world gen parameters for a small world, and transplanting them to a larger world.

Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2013, 04:01:49 pm »

I have already tried this, and...it was quite dull. You have soooooooooooooooo lonnngggg to walk to find other civilisations, because the world is empty.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2013, 06:48:23 pm »

You could simulate that by taking the civ-related world gen parameters for a small world, and transplanting them to a larger world.

Well if you wanted a big empty world.

RoboUnicorn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2013, 06:09:42 pm »

I added the answers from DG's version to the crowdsourced one. I've also started adding HTML tags to it. I think all's that left is to add the
</td></tr> at the end of people talking, maybe add some
<br> to break up paragraphs, and just to make sure everything is otherwise nice. Should be ready to post in a day or two I suppose.

@DG: You did a really good job. Thank you so much. And yeah, mallocks did a ton of work.

@fricy: I thought it was helpful. Even just to put timestamps into. Once I did that, a few people took whole sections and fixed them up.
Awesome!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 06:11:33 pm »

I just noticed the transcript for #21 says this:

...kind of midpoint displacement diamond square stuff [indistinct] that you can use ...

Even though Toady's clearly saying "perlin noise" where it says [indistinct].
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5