Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 408580 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.47
« Reply #1440 on: January 15, 2014, 05:29:16 pm »

WE CAN'T JUST GO "FUCK EVENTS IMA GO RENT A HOUSE." SHIT IS GOING DOWN AND WE NEED TO KNOW WHETHER OR NOT WE'RE THE NEREVARINE. WE NEED TO KNOW THIS BECAUSE IT TELLS US WHAT WE SHOULD BE DOING, AND WHO WILL BE TRYING TO KILL US. KNOWING WHERE WE STAND DOES HELP US PRACTICALLY.

We can't ignore stuff that's going on, we can't just go devote all our time to alchemy, we've got a job to do. Do remember that we work for the government now. We need a plan to build ourselves up, sure, but in order to plan effectively we need more information. If we abandoned now, not only would we miss an invaluable opportunity, but we'd look a bit odd for suddenly changing our mind, and we'd piss off Caius for appearing not to care about potentially the most important agent in his command.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:37:12 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: January 15, 2014, 11:05:50 pm »

Listen up: I've just looked at my map. This will be easier than we thought. If we head DIRECTLY west of Wolverine Hall, we'll hit a large island. It has a mushroom tree on either end, so that's two mushroom trees. Continuing west, there's a slightly smaller island with a single shroomtree on it. Seperating the two is a mere ditch, water only ankle to knee deep. No biggie. From this island, there's a tiny island further west, and to the southwest is the huge island that Tel Fyr is on. If you splash over to the tiny island, then the island we want to be on is just to the south and a little bit west. We could probably even see it from there. You'd just need to cross the water and keep going south, then there'd be a bridge to Tel Fyr. This route requires crossing far less water.

2 15-second waterwalking potions should be sufficient for the entire trip The first one for crossing from this fort to the 2-tree isle, the next for crossing from the tiny island to the Big Island with Tel Fyr On It.

I'll draw up a map.
Michael, can you see this?
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Just 2 cheap potions of WW and one of levitation, and we're good. It's not even that far.
Brilliant and awesome, but are you sure about the danger level and scaling those walls?

On the other end, this means that if we get lucky we won't even need the waterwalking, won't it?

And what are our (marketable) skills?

Obviously we're not very good by the standards of the game world, right? But we DO have a major trump card. Modern SCIENCE!

That is my proposal. Find someone willing to loan us enough cash to get started on creating marvels of the modern world (we might be able to do it without a loan, but it would be slow going), and sell those to pay that loan back and get some damn cash instead of running around and hoping to sell some piss-water for a few coins.
There's a few issues with this.

One is, as you mentioned, that we don't actually know how much of this stuff will work.

Another, though, is that we're not personally in a great position to take advantage of it. You'll notice part one of your plan is basically to wheedle someone into giving us free stuff to do our awesome idea-thing. Where are we gonna find someone for that? Where are we gonna find someone for that at a good price? What are we gonna do once we've sold off the secrets of electric lighting and automobiles?

Finally, there's the issues of who's going to actually want it. Someone invented a flying machine in Bloodmoon, but all they managed to do with it was get a bunch of sailors killed and send a hero off on a fetch quest they could have done in the first place. Presumably he was not being mobbed by desperate emperors who felt that their entire empire would be revolutionized if only they had the combustion engine. So... who does want our stuff? We're talking about a place where beasts of burden are semi-obsolete already due to magic. We're talking about a place where bottles are free because everyone can fire mud into them at will. We might be talking about a place where lanterns are eternally burning anyway. What exactly do we know about that we're absolutely certain important, wealthy people are going to want and be able to use?

Let's take a step backwards for just a moment. At some point, you are going to have to start becoming strong enough to be self sufficient, whether through magic or some of the physical arts. Is there any reason NOT to make that the first priority? I mean, are you in a hurry to get to the corprusarium? Will it make your life easier somehow? Or will it just have a really high chance of killing you?
To what end? So we can max alchemy? So we can live in an okay house until we die of old age? Clearly it's not to really accomplish anything, or at least anything for the foreseeable future, if we're going to ignore the world-shattering events around us to go bake pies for a living.

But for that matter, who says we have to wait until we die of old age? Supposing we're annihilated as soon as somebody kills Dagoth Ur. What do we do about that? Well, nothing if we don't know about it, and we're sure as hell not going to know about it shopping for drapes in Balmora. But that's okay, because we're clearly a perfectly normal person and the notion that the events of this world might unduly affect us is laughable, right? And as Khuul showed, normal people here have nothing to fear no matter what.

So let me turn your question around- at some point, we are going to have to figure out what the hell is going on here. Is there any reason NOT to make THAT a first priority? Well, as you've said, it's hard to figure out what's going on when a pair of mudcrabs counts as a difficult obstacle. But the events are time-sensitive; leveling up is not, at least not as far as we're aware. We can go out and punch rats for skill gain any time; we've already lost out on a ton of important events and developments, and are completely in the dark as to several potential more.

So to answer your question directly, yes- there's no point getting power if we miss out on all the chances to use that power, and likely the knowledge of what we might want to use that power for. I'm all in favor of punching rats for a bit to level up to the point where we can punch rats for a living, but not while there's important things to be learned about and/or done.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: January 15, 2014, 11:28:54 pm »

Gunpowder is usually a rather obvious first thing created by people sent into the past. Hardest part would probably be finding sulfur. It would be very crude at first, most likely. While it can be replicated by magic, magic like that can't be given to hundreds of people.

But this is something to consider once we get some time to do stuff ourselves, instead of now which rather isn't such a time.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:31:29 pm by Xanmyral »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: January 15, 2014, 11:30:12 pm »

(GM Comments)

1) Guys, relax.

2)

jack shit
sure as hell
You are so screwed
YOU ARE USELESS
bite you in the ass
clearly fucked
don't know shit
you've completely fucked
crappy house. As crappy and as cheap

Cussing out Michael is unlikely to encourage him to listen to you. It also annoys the GM personally. I request that you stop.

3)

WE CAN'T JUST GO "FUCK EVENTS IMA GO RENT A HOUSE." SHIT IS GOING DOWN AND WE NEED TO KNOW WHETHER OR NOT WE'RE THE NEREVARINE. WE NEED TO KNOW THIS BECAUSE IT TELLS US WHAT WE SHOULD BE DOING, AND WHO WILL BE TRYING TO KILL US. KNOWING WHERE WE STAND DOES HELP US PRACTICALLY.

Yelling at Michael in all caps is also unlikely to encourage him to listen to you.

4)

This is not a suggestion. It is you responding to another player. It does not need to be in bold. Please see this post.

5) I have noticed over the past few episodes a growing number of suggestions from people who seem to not be entirely clear on established precedent. Suggestions to learn spells even though it's been a major plot point for most of the game that doing so is not possible without relevant training. People suggesting making potions despite the fact that it's been a major plot point for most of the game that Michael lacks alchemy tools. Claiming that only one alchemy tool is required, not the entire set, despite it being a major plot point through most of the game that all four alchemy tools are required for alchemy. Other things, some more or less subtle, that directly contradict various other established precedents. Still other things, that haven't come up here as being like or not-like vanilla, but that contradict vanilla in ways that I'm not sure where people got the ideas they're asserting. And in one or two cases, people making assertions that directly contradict bolded "GM Comment" Word of God.

I am not going to make a habit of correcting every little error and misconception. I advise players to think for themselves and not take every little thing said by everyone else as factual. Some people have been making assertions over the past few episodes that are blatantly incorrect, and there have been a few suggestions that lead me to suspect that we have some new participants who haven't read through the entire thread. Granted, this game has been running for almost a year. We're coming up on 100 thread pages, and the game update posts themselves are collectively on the order of roughly 1 megabyte of text. That's approximately a 300 page novel. The story so far is approximately as long as To Kill a Mockingbird. So, yes...it's very understandable. For example, it came as no surprise that most people missed the comment from Nalcarya back in episode 26 in June of last year stating that the Telvanni would in fact require hospitality papers before making purchases in Sadrith Mora. Here we are seven months later and after a 3 month hiatus before it finally came up. I understand that things like that are easily missed or forgotten, and I've been trying to insert reminders of past events into new episodes without being excessive about it. Who remembered the genocide in Khuul prior to the Legionnaire reminding us of it? Who, during the discussion about whether it was wise to give Caius advance knowledge of the Oblivion Crisis to try to stop it from happening, remembered that you already gave Vivec advance knowledge about the Oblivion Crisis to try to stop it from happening?

Things are being missed and forgotten. Again, in many cases it's understandable. But...they are being missed. So...i advice due diligence. If there is a consensus to do something that contradicts established precedent or that is probably not a good idea for reasons that have been long since forgotten, I'm unlikely to step in before an update and remind you of a conversation that occurred six months ago explaining why.

I'm glad this game has been so well received. Like I've said previously, I'm surprised that it's gone on for so long. I totally expected that this would be roughly a 20 chapter game that would last three months. But here we are a year later and I've written a novel. So, thank you. But...pay attention, guys. You're missing stuff.

6) The MST3k of this game is going to be totally awesome. I've already started writing it. :)

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: January 15, 2014, 11:37:36 pm »

Welp I completely forgot about vivec. All I ended up remembering from back then was him talking about CHIM and the daedric weapon. So Sorry aboot that guys.
We have all sorts of reasons to get there in time. We're trying to found out where, exactly we stand in all of this and what kind of metaphysical shennanigans are going on. And possibly stop a save wipe. And keep on Caius' good side.

Oh, and not to mention talk with Yagrum Bagarn.

Michael, can you see this?
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Just 2 cheap potions of WW and one of levitation, and we're good. It's not even that far.
Good plan, let's do it.
Also, marks are very very important. If we run into someone who has had lots of contact with the Blades and could recognize us, we might end up in some serious trouble. So once again I'll post something that we should do once we get back to Balmora:Ask the shit out of Caius about marks. We need to know what the two unidentified marks could be. I suspect that one is from the Blades, and one is from Vivec. The Blades might very well have not put one on us as they are a very secretive group. Also, why have we not been "hit" by a mark like this one before? Is it because we can channel now? What we need is answers. And those answers can wait until we get back to Balmora. Onwards!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:46:18 pm by joemoben »
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: January 15, 2014, 11:38:28 pm »

I didn't really consider telling Vivec about the Crisis a risk, unlike Cosades, who's a bit more worldly and not quite as aware of the metaphysical importance of it (though he certainly isn't unwise to these things, I think Vivec simply has more knowledge in the situation, given some things he says in Sermon 35).

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: January 15, 2014, 11:41:03 pm »

Sorry for shouting. I've unbolded my post to prevent deafening poor Mike.

Just to be clear, that "Fort" on my map is Wolverine Hall, where we are now. No wall-scaling required.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: January 16, 2014, 05:58:21 am »

Just to be clear, that "Fort" on my map is Wolverine Hall, where we are now. No wall-scaling required.
I had meant the island walls, since some of them are steep, but looking back it seems you actually scoped out the islands in question.

That still leaves my concerns about cliff racers, though. How confident are you that we'll be able to get past any that show up?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: January 16, 2014, 08:52:48 am »

We need to stop being terrified to take any sort of risk. All we're doing is slowly but surely screwing ourselves over with that type of thing. We're not gonna seek out getting murdered, but we're not going to get anywhere if we always play it safe either.

The_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: January 16, 2014, 10:15:07 am »

Follow Hugo's plan.

We need to get there. Ideally, we actually need to catch corprus first so we can continue becoming the nerevarine. Don't forget that we have already had it confirmed that we have all of the needed qualifications, now we just have to work on checking off the list of things to prove/become the nerevarine. BTW, even if Clover survives, that doesn't mean she is the Nerevarine, just that she is a step closer than us. In the game only one person survived the potion because the PC is the only one qualified to become the Nerevarine, here Clover might be qualified as well.

When we get there, we need to be bold and offer to the wizard to let him infect us with corprus and then use the potion on us. It is time to get moving.

The_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: January 16, 2014, 10:45:55 am »

Also when we get there, we need to figure out from the wizard if any of the other "PC"s have been by to take the potion and their fate. We are in a race, and we need to take it seriously, which means knowing who our competitors are and if they are ahead of us.

Another thought. We need to stop giving up information to people so easily. We have already given Caius too much information. Do you really think that if given the choice between Michael and Clover to back for the Nerevarine that he is going to choose Michael? So far pretty much all we have done is given Clover a head start by telling her (through information we gave) where to go.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 16, 2014, 12:35:50 pm »

Wait, when did we decide that we want to be the Nerevarine? We should find out whether or not we are, but I for one don't want us to be. There would be no less than 3 major factions dedicated to killing us if we became such.

Gaining corprus immortality may sound nice, but if we wanted to try that, we'd better be damned sure that potion would work on us first. Becoming hopelessly insane and deformed for all of eternity is NOT something we want.

Parcae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 16, 2014, 02:15:11 pm »

Michael, what are your objectives? At this point, do you want to try to help save the world, or are you content just to try to make a life for yourself in Morrowind? Are you willing to take risks in the hope of becoming the Nerevarine, or do you just want to learn magic and try to rise in one of the guilds?

(LordBucket, I'm hoping that this question will help you steer us back on course. Please feel free to take advantage of it to railroad us a bit. There's clearly stuff you want us to do that we're not doing, but we're not mindreaders and we do need a bit more guidance.)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: January 16, 2014, 02:19:44 pm »

Michael kinda wants to become a god, much like high-leveled munchkin PC's.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: January 16, 2014, 02:25:03 pm »

And the ways to become a God are well-known here.

1. Prolix Tower. Don't really know. Perhaps godhood by patience. I don't think that's an option for us.
2. Enantiomorph. A king, a rebel, a witness. The king and rebel are near impossible to distinguish. And guess what? "Hortator and Sharmat, one and one, eleven, an inelegant number. Which of the ones is the more important? Could you ever tell if they switched places? I can and that is why you will need me." That's pretty convenient. Talos did this.
3. Seeing a path your enemy places for you and walking it anyway. I think that's what we're doing right now, actually, with Corprus and all that. Think Talos may have done this too.
4. Mantling. See: Champion of Cyrodiil, Talos, heck, maybe even us.
5. CHIM. Vivec, Talos. Extremely dangerous, failure likely. Probably not wise to pursue.
6. Soul combination. Numidium. ALMSIVI. Talos (again). May not quite be an option.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 161