Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 408378 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #255 on: June 10, 2013, 10:50:04 am »

Hey guys, may I suggest we set goals? I'll admit, I don't really know the Morrowind universe very well, but I do know open-ended games. You need a goal, this helps significantly with planning.

So, let's try something else. We're Mike, not the Nerevarine. Let's ignore the quests for the Nerevarine, and start looking for quests for Mike. See if we can get the Skull of Corruption, the Wabbajack, or the Sanguine Rose, for instance. (Three artifacts the Nerevarine can't get. Talk to NPCs who weren't originally quest-givers. That sort of thing. But before even that, let's find out what Mike's goal is. Does he want to forget about his vague past, explore Vvardenfell, and become rich and powerful? Or does he want to go home? Or both, trying to take his gains with him? What he decides is what we do.

So Mike, what'll it be?

That seems to be heading in the right direction.

The few things we DO know:
- Training up skills the normal way takes a LONG time. Field practice is better.
- NPC's are significantly more intelligent than normal
- We can respawn

Oh I wish there was a potion of Fortify Illusion or somesuch...
EDIT: Looked it up on Wiki. There ARE fortify spells in expansion content, but more significantly... there are Fortify shrines around! (yeah, you may know this...)

This seems like the easiest one...
Felms' Glory: Fortify Restoration 5pts for 48min

Ghostgate, Temple
 Holamayan Monastery
 Vivec, High Fane
 Vivec, St. Olms Storage

So if we get this effect, purchase a restoration spell and use it... we may gain insight into how magicka works!

There is also a Fortify Destruction in Ald Sotha, but I don't think we're surviving that.

So...

Decide if we want to join the Tribunal Temple, which would make the blessings only cost 5g
Otherwise, seek to earn 35g. Alchemy is our best bet - seek some herbs by the city limit, harvest, process into potions.
The above may be complicated by a) needing flasks and b) apparent lack of alchemical equipment. Well, maybe you guys can help with this.

Seek out one of the Felms' Glory shrines, try purchasing a low level spell and using it

My suggestion is Vivec, as then you can buy a Resist Common Disease from "Dileno Lloran in Vivec, High Fane" which is a skill 5 spell. Cast that a few times for a level-up, or to see if we even have magicka available to us.

If not, repeat with a Fortify Magicka potion.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2013, 12:47:42 pm »

We can respawn

Just to be clear, you didn't "respawn" so much as "the game" was restored to a previous save state. Not going to explain how or why...that's for you to figure out. But notice that you lost all of episode 17 and the end of episode 16 played out slightly differently. I advise caution in the event of future deaths. Actually, I advise avoiding death algtogether. But if you do die...you probably don't want to remember things having happened, act on the assumption that they have, but then have it turn out that the things you remember were things that were lost.

try purchasing a low level spell

That was already attempted. I suggest you read Episode 15

process into potions.

As others have already pointed out, Michael has no alchemy tools.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 10, 2013, 12:55:34 pm »

Turn off the cellphone.
Remember that: New reagent knowledge: saltrice [1]Restore endurance
Try saltrice, see if it does again
Retrieve walking stick.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 10, 2013, 12:57:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Re: Respawn - indeed, my personal thinking is that it restores us when the PC/equivalent reloads. Dead should be avoided as the costs and processes are unknown.

Re: Spell - my suggestion was to try this AFTER praying "Praying" (tithing) at the "Fortify Restoration +5" shrine, which is available in Vivec and other places. High Fane, Vivec looks like a good destination as it has both the shrine and the vendor.
Of course this may do nothing, as the rules have changed, but this may be a shortcut to learning spellcasting basics.

Re: Alchemy - I am aware, but other alchemical locations may be much more lenient. I vaguely recall there being non-alchemist-shop stations in a large dunmer warren city, and the items themselves being purchaseable/stealable. I was really hoping to draw on other players' knowledge of the world here.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:02:25 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 11, 2013, 02:44:26 am »

I doubt fortifying magic skill works by giving you more knowledge temporarily, I think it just makes the effects stronger if you already know what you're doing.

I say our goal should be getting the hang of this magic thing. From the guildmaster's reaction, I'd say we could pick it up pretty quick. And if expensive training doesn't work out, well, there are such things as hedge wizards and wild sorcerers who've never been near a school. If some bandit can figure it out, there must be other approaches to magic than advanced mathematics. There's got to be some emotive or intuitive way to do it.

And just sayin', there must be other approaches to alchemy as well, such as the mundane chemical properties of things or distillation of elements not affected by our own bodies. Like, say, you have 2 plants, each containing a relatively non-injurious toxin, but together the two toxins have a synergistic effect, so an alchemist could prepare a poison by using both plants. I mean, you have to wonder how the undead brew their potions if all alchemy comes from Urine. As for plain chemistry, well, damn I wish Wierd Joykill was here...

So, we know the game gets reloaded, so to speak, if WE die. Perhaps it doesn't for the Nerevarine, and perhaps she can't load it at will. We have yet to see confirmation of her menu abilities.

For earning coin, we could just get a job. I'm sure there's plenty of work available that would normally be behind the scenes in the game. With our math skills, we could help with some financial paperwork, perhaps intern for one of the large trading organizations. Even in medieval times, a skilled accountant was much desired, and it doesn't really require knowledge of complex theorems, just massive number crunching. Child's play for our Math student here. Of course, we might easily wind up employed for someone very, very corrupt.

For quick questing rewards, we could just tattle on the Sixth House agents before they actually cause trouble. In every major city, there's at least one person who very soon will put several fellow citizens under Dagoth Ur's spell. We know their names, we know their locations. The Temple will strike swiftly and silently, and need not worry about gangsters. I'm sure they'd be greatful. We should start by telling them to keep a close eye on Hanarai of Ald Ruun.

For the present:
-Turn off phone
-Re-get walking stick
-Rifle through crates for potentially useful items that nobody will miss.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 11, 2013, 12:12:26 pm »

And then, do people think it will be safe and rewarding to reveal the people mentioned above to the temple?

I support trying to get some work doing something mathy since there seems to be a significant lack of skill among the natives.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 11, 2013, 03:41:32 pm »

...mumble...mumble...shall We...mumble...

[...]

...but we're out of...mumble...

[....]

...mumble...what about this...mumble...
Just to be clear, you didn't "respawn" so much as "the game" was restored to a previous save state. Not going to explain how or why...that's for you to figure out. But notice that you lost all of episode 17 and the end of episode 16 played out slightly differently. I advise caution in the event of future deaths. Actually, I advise avoiding death algtogether. But if you do die...you probably don't want to remember things having happened, act on the assumption that they have, but then have it turn out that the things you remember were things that were lost.

((Yeah. I don't think LordBucket would have specifically warned us to avoid deaths if the only unknown antagonist was a probably-psychotic Dunmer, or if we were thrown into vanilla Morrowind. My guess is that a small group of lesser powerful entities summoned/created Michael as a pawn to act against a more powerful entity. That they haven't left us any messages telling us what to do likely means that doing so would have a good chance of attracting its attention, and they chose to create the core idea of a person that would likely solve their problems. I don't know what to do about this, but it means we probably don't have to hide quite as much from the PPC. How we, the voices, figure into everything is a mystery.))

You not knowing any magic being so shocking means that you can get basic magic training much easier than a few thousand coins, if you don't mind the risk of learning bad habits from a bad teacher or not learning the different branches all at once. I expect that you could either work for someone for a few days while they take it easy and explain the basics, trade stories for tutoring, or be a traveling storyteller, get some money, and then pay for tutoring that way. Just ask around in a tavern for anyone who might be willing to teach.

Check if you remember enough of any stories. Or jokes, jokes could work. If not, disregard the rest of this.

You might want go to a tavern and find a storyteller. Either buy a few stories and listen for whatever common tropes the locals expect, trade stories, or just see if they have any tips they would be willing to sell for pocket change.

Failing that, you should be able to adapt a few of our stories to the local expectations on your own. Just have a traveling dunmer solve everything for the hilariously incompetent outlanders. And praise Vivec.

Just make sure you practice the stories alone a few times before speaking in front of a crowd. Your speechcraft is too low to properly ad-lib one.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 11, 2013, 05:55:07 pm »

All that we have is a working knowledge of static Morrowind, the likes of which more or less ceased to exist the moment we hit the dirt.

Mostly agreed. However, we do also have some knowledge of the lore, which should stand us in good stead whether or not the game mechanics still work. (There are some mechanics, still. We get skill ups, for instance.)

For instance, I can think of at least three possible avenues to try to get Michael back home. Akatosh, as the Aedra of time could probably do it. Vaermina's power was shown to be able to warp space-time to do funky things as part of an Oblivion sidequest. And most promising, (but probably the most difficult and dangerous) would be to attempt to use the Heart of Lorkhan to attempt to ascend our way out of reality. (IIRC, that was one theory of what happened to the Dwemer.)

As for the respawn, well, I like the theory that we respawned when the Nerevarine reloaded her game to an earlier point, having saved just as we tried out that battle-axe. (There is direct indication that the Nerevarine dunmer has access to game mechanics, having stripped the census office of materials stuffed into her inventory and pulling the 'brew potions, earn money' trick on Nacalya.) If so, she could even revert save while we're still alive, destroying our progress, and/or save after our death, preventing our respawn. So yeah, I would definitely avoid dying again.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 11, 2013, 07:09:04 pm »

GASP how did I just notice a suggestion game taking place in one of my favorite video games of all time!

(Mumbles incoherently about old games having so much more character than the new ones)

Has anyone suggested creating a spell of summon dremora for two seconds and soul trap on target for one second?  If so, has anyone suggested casting it on the ground repeatedly? ;D

(PS that was a joke 8))
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:11:11 pm by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 11, 2013, 11:05:32 pm »

Next update is about half finished but probably won't make it up tonight.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 11, 2013, 11:23:39 pm »

ptw

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 11, 2013, 11:39:32 pm »

I keep writing up a post for this over what has just happened and I keep deleting the damned thing. The gist of everything is we need to find our niche and what we are good at. To that end, we need to raise our skills so we can survive in this world. The problem is I haven't played Morrowind in about a decade so that leaves me only uesp to try and refresh my memory of things.

Priority things to do. Train spears and raise endurance. No matter what else we do, raising our endurance (and thus our hit points) will help us survive, spears do this. I like the idea of sticking basically to staves, spears, and the odd knife/tanto for combat.

What we really need is a way to auto-train. If this were Dwarf Fortress the solution is simple, pressure plate, mechanisms, training spear spike and a 1x2 square. We need a Danger Room to train so we can get better at *everything* before we start trying to head cross-country for the training I think we should keep as a long-term goal. The other thing we need is money. It's a shame that crafting doesn't exist in Morrowind like it does in Skyrim as I doubt taking an iron ingot and some leather to a smithy would really allow us to make a knife. So short of alchemy that really only leaves us with stealing.

I like the idea that some people were throwing around for joining the Legion or either the Imperial Cult or the Tribunal. The other thing I was going to suggest, once we had more money would be to see, if we could by some weird twist of fate, become an Ordinator. But that last one is just a wacky idea brought on by this weird metagame situation where the rules are apparently different for us.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 12, 2013, 01:04:31 am »

We don't have hitpoints. A chitin axe wouldn't kill any PC or NPC in one hit, but the guy hacked us in the chest and we bled out.

I don't think it's a matter of raising spear to train endurance, I think something like running laps or lifting weights would be more likely to do that. But you know what, I now think we shouldn't work out or run laps until we know where to get some food.

This is a Hlaalu town, and thus steeped in avarice, someone's bound to need an accountant. Let's ask some of the merchants if they need anyone to help balance their books.

And I just thought of something. There are novelists in this world. We could try inventing the genre of science fiction, there'd be no competition and our completely original-seeming works would stand a chance to sell well. I don't know how good a writer Mike is, but chances are he'll have had some practice with fanfiction or something. Seeing as he's a good student, we might write "fantasy" novels about Medieval Earth history. And we wouldn't have to worry about pissing off the locals with our writings either, as we could just have them published in Cyrodil. It would take a few months to pay off, though.

What I really, really want us to do is go see Yagrum Bagarn and show him our cell phone, but I don't think we can safely reach Tel Fyr yet.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 12, 2013, 03:10:25 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh, lord. This is amazing.

Suggestion: Read through any previous texts and see if there are call records in the cell phone. Might help you remember who you are supposed to be, Michael.

Get a piece of paper out. Write down all you know so far. Do you remember the gists of your conversation with Vivec? The generals of the summary of alchemy and magic? You should make sure to keep notes on such things. You had a journal in-game for a reason!

Would help to try and gather some information about this murder before proceeding. I barely remember the quest. Seems you can't either. All I know is being hacked in the chest wasn't a preferred outcome. For all you know that will be the last time you get saved; you weren't the one who reverted back. You got reverted. Likely by the PC?

Either way: If the scenario is similar next time [if there is a next time], bring the guard inside with you. I've got something up my sleeve if the scenario presents itself the same way next time, though, Michael. Won't try to let you die again.

First things first: Ask around about the affairs of Ralen. Money lender might be a good first stop: Those who owe money are usually the first in danger. If acceptable ask the maid to search Ralen's room. With those options exhausted, ask around the Fighter's Guild for any contracts or requests for protection from Ralen or a local Hlaalo.

Caius is always an option. A spymaster is not the type to not notice the going-ons of assassinations of nobles.

Current state of affairs is worrying in general, though. From what we've gathered the mysterious Dunmer woman PC might be loaded with money, equipment, and have a silver-tongue, possibly implying other abilities. I'm curious how soul gems work in this universe as well.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:23:49 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 12, 2013, 04:13:43 am »

We should work on our strength, I think. Or more specifically:
-Try to make our strength stat a known value, or figure out what our "carry limit" is.
-Determine if our strength can go up from, say, lifting weights, or if it has to be skill gain like in actual morrowind.
-If it has to be skill gain, get some repair hammers (I'd just look in random crates in the alley, personally) and learn blacksmithing until we feel like we can life Morrowind's cartoony weapons OK.

I'm more concerned about moving around with goods, since magic looks like a more promising avenue for killing things, but learning how to actually swing a weapon doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 161