Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 408386 times)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #285 on: June 13, 2013, 01:47:35 pm »

Hell no to joining the legion.  Do you have any idea how badly the PC could screw up Morrowind in that time?  Michael made a promise to Vivec to try to save and protect Morrowind, and the only threat more dangerous than Dagoth Ur is the would-be Nerevarine.  We need to figure out another way of making money quickly so that we can afford private trainers, because the PC has dozens of advantages against us anyway.  It seems to be the case that she is still working under video-game rules, which means she's having a much easier time of it.

If we want to stop her, we need to move fast.  I suggest trying to get the drop on that bandit, but we might need a cunning plan to make it happen.  Can anyone think of a way to swing the odds in our favour killing him?

The PC will kill us if we attempt to do anything whatsoever to them.
However, I do feel that we may want to be ready to jump into action. We can't become a god if the Nerevarine destroys the Heart of Lorkhan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 13, 2013, 01:54:48 pm »

Oppose joining the legion.

Does anyone remember how much of a fight this bandit was? Could we conceivably spend some money on scrolls and take him out pretty safely with magic? Was he far from town?

At the very least, I think it would be a good opportunity to try and legitimately talk our way through a problem that only has a violent solution in morrowind. And then blast him when it goes south.

Also, next time we are back in Seyda Neen, actually ask the lighthouse lady what's wrong and if we can help. I still think our biggest potential advantage over the PC is being able to possibly accrue allies.

Plus any progress from joining the imperial legion is likely to be lost at the next reload - we need to use every opportunity to learn more (without getting killed)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 13, 2013, 01:58:07 pm »

Note that the legion has given us the offer of something nobody else has: They'll make us into a person as strong as a regular Morrowindian.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 13, 2013, 02:20:58 pm »

Yeah, free training is good.

I think I'd rather be a god than worship them. Back home that would have made me crazy, but here that's a real thing, right?

oh HELL yes. The problem is that one such as Michael here isn't likely to become a god, hehe.

Yeah, hehe, let's go with the imperial legion.

Also, why is everybody under the opinion that the Nerevarine is psychotic? Just because a player character holds a knife everywhere she goes and steals everything she can get her hands on doesn't mean she's psychotic; heck, that's pretty normal behavior. But, I guess we should consider the worst case.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:22:52 pm by Putnam »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 13, 2013, 02:25:34 pm »

I'm not entirely sure the PC can actually see us. It seems that Morrowind acts like a game when they're* around, and that might include Michael not existing.

If there's multiple PC's running through Morrowind like a theme park then it probably wouldn't hurt us to spend a year in the guard. If there's any need for us to intervene though... I'd rather not get charged with dereliction of duty for running off when it gets urgent.

As for becoming a god? Most people who achieve godhood in the elder scrolls universe are not happy.

*(I'm still not sure there's only one PC)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 13, 2013, 02:31:07 pm »

As for becoming a god? Most people who achieve godhood in the elder scrolls universe are not happy.

Well, most of them are insane, and in a bad way; besides, most of them were gods from their creation (E.G Pelinal Whitestrake).

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention: there are the 6 ways to become a god, then there's Amaranth, which is above all of those and the level past godhood.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:35:05 pm by Putnam »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 13, 2013, 03:56:33 pm »

I really think the best course of action is to simply talk to the bandit and tell him there's a price on his head. Then offer half the bounty to him in return for him simply leaving and moving along to rob somewhere else. Bandits are lazy quick-money types and usually go with the path of least resistance, and resistance in this case is the Legion coming to kill him for sticking around too long on their lands. I'm sure he'll see the benefit to this plan. Especially as there was no stipulation to prove you've killed him [Bring his ear/head/x to prove it!], far as I'm aware.

Not sure how spending a bunch of money on magic scrolls to kill him would benefit, I doubt the bandit is actually carrying anything worthwhile. Otherwise you'll need to train and spend a bunch of money and time to be able to possibly challenge him. Not time you have in the universe you're working in.

Should really be focusing on magic training and the mathematical connection, along with alchemy. All this spending time wandering looking for 'ways to power up' will not serve well in the end if the PC-Whatever-It-is is just a cheater with max stats. You'd need to meta-win in order to change anything, which does not involve doing fetch jobs and bandit bounty quests in my opinion. Michael needs to learn how things work before dumping time and effort into such things. Especially the 'deja vu'.

For all we know doing the quest, powering up, and such will be reverted as soon as the deja vu happens. Internal character changes might be much more powerful long term.

I really, really think long-term alliance with Legion is a bad idea. They will treat you like a slave and an errand boy unless you are a real mercenary, which our character is not. Enlisting would be a waste of time spent on other things.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:05:20 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 13, 2013, 04:41:51 pm »

So, counter-suggestion: Spend our time getting magical and alchemical training - see if we can't steal ourselves a set of alchemy tools to get ourselves started.  Magic is very likely to be a quicker path to lethal efficiency for us than physical training and, well, I want to know how the magic system works in Morrowreal.  :B
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 13, 2013, 04:58:11 pm »

So, counter-suggestion: Spend our time getting magical and alchemical training - see if we can't steal ourselves a set of alchemy tools to get ourselves started.  Magic is very likely to be a quicker path to lethal efficiency for us than physical training and, well, I want to know how the magic system works in Morrowreal.  :B

Yeah, using magic is also a good idea, I just think that we'll want to at the very least not be such a pasty nerd in a world of big burly nords and orcs and all that.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 13, 2013, 05:11:28 pm »

I think I'd rather be a god than worship them. Back home that would have made me crazy, but here that's a real thing, right?

oh HELL yes. The problem is that one such as Michael here isn't likely to become a god, hehe.

Mantling is also, IIRC, the reason the PC is the Nerevarine. Just thought I'd add that tidbit.

Additionally, while not quite godhood, there's Corprus, which appears to be Dagoth Ur's attempt to 'spread the wealth'. Corprus was supposed to provide eternal longevity, bodily health, and spiritual advancement. However it seems to fail a lot and turn people into zombies, turns you into a Silent Hill-looking elephant man if it succeeds, and the only remedy for it (Divayth Fyr's 'cure') removes the bad effects while retaining the good stuff but also apparently straight-up kills everyone except the Nerevarine. 

As for the Legion, it could be a problem. We'd be stationed somewhere, for one thing. Presumably for a year. Even if we had weekends off, we'd be getting game weekends off, which means we'd have to get any business done in maybe an hour and get back to report in. And patrolling means we probably would end up having to fight things we're not prepared for. An early blighted Cliff Racer could ruin our day. And we could run into one because a) we aren't tied to the leveled monster lists and could just run into whatever whenever, or b) the leveled lists apply, but the Nerevarine's level is what they run off of, and she'll be leveling while we patrol.

On the pro side, it gives us free armor and training that should help Mike survive, and we'll almost certainly get attacked by something even if we don't join the Legion.

As for the bandit, we're not ready to take him head-on.  Mictlantecuhtli's idea to talk to the guy is interesting, but even if Darius accepts our word for it (maybe he checks and sees the bridge empty) I think it will result in the bandit killing us, taking the whole bounty, and scarpering. Or we could not bring him his share of the bounty, in which case we have an angry bandit who either hunts us down or goes back to robbing travelers on that bridge and gets the Legion pissed at us for conning them out of the bounty money.

Now maybe we could find where he's camped, sneak in, and poison his cookpot or something? That'd need Sneak practice, and probably a fair amount of Alchemy, but I think it might be doable.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 13, 2013, 05:19:52 pm »

As for the bandit, we're not ready to take him head-on.  Mictlantecuhtli's idea to talk to the guy is interesting, but even if Darius accepts our word for it (maybe he checks and sees the bridge empty) I think it will result in the bandit killing us, taking the whole bounty, and scarpering. Or we could not bring him his share of the bounty, in which case we have an angry bandit who either hunts us down or goes back to robbing travelers on that bridge and gets the Legion pissed at us for conning them out of the bounty money.

You don't bring the whole bounty. You bring 50 gold, tell the bandit there's a bounty of 100 gold on his head posted in town by the Legion. He dies by the Legion's hand or leaves his [likely, this is where speechcraft and such comes into play] dried up path of revenue. Explain how he's probably gotten what he can as the rumor is there's a powerful raider stealing things from people and people are avoiding the path for another, appeal to his sense of ego and self worth, what bandits likely have. For all we know he'd be damn impressed a Legion recruit comes to him with such intrigue, and be grateful for an easier path out and pre-knowledge of the bounty on him. We might be able to make actual allies in this version, you know.

Timely and easy completion makes us spend less time on the questy questy and more on the finding out how things work. Once again: The "Deja vu" could simply reset us to before the quest was completed, and then why did we even bother instead of trying to find out the circumstances and effects of the metaphysics?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:21:56 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 13, 2013, 05:21:45 pm »

Mantling is also, IIRC, the reason the PC is the Nerevarine. Just thought I'd add that tidbit.

Oh, hehe, right. That's kind of what "-ine" means.

Anyway, I would NOT go for the bandit. That's a baaaaad idea. We, as we are, are completely unfit for adventuring.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 13, 2013, 05:23:37 pm »

I'd just like to mention we have nothing of much real worth so I highly doubt the bandit would kill us on sight for our wealth. You can hide the tanto for an easy way to get a sneak attack, as well. The power of realism!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:25:59 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 13, 2013, 05:25:03 pm »

No, but it's likely that the bandit will kill us on sight for, you know, being someone with a sword at his side walking up to his lair.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 13, 2013, 05:27:34 pm »

We have a knife. Which is why you hide it, approach in a non-hostile manner and appeal to his banditry and eagerness for easy money. We do not have time, nor money to spend on training and equipment. This is a simple quest. We can't spend all the time in the world preparing for a bandit while the PC is out doing god-knows-what in this world, as for all we know it's a cheater.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:30:18 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 161