Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 408513 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #840 on: July 10, 2013, 02:52:26 pm »

Agreed. Use this as an opportunity to part from the legion on good terms, once our meeting has been confirmed. Say we're extremely sorry for leaving before our term of service is up, but explain that we feel our greater duty to the Empire requires it. Agree to continue doing jobs for the Legion is a remote agent, but the arrival of Dagoth Ur's forces sooner than we expected requires us to no longer postpone in acting - and we must talk to a great many wizards.

We can even argue that they are free to insist we stay and fight with the legion, and we will dutifully do so, but that there are things of greater importance we must do at this point and it would bode well for Morrowind and beyond if we were kept from doing so.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 10, 2013, 04:11:04 pm »

We'd need to say where we're going, and why, no lies, to go off and do these other things. So basically, say we need to talk to the Spymaster, Divayth Fyr, and whoever else to confirm some things before we report back.

I think we should use this to become an mostly independent agent for the legion. After all, spies don't have to be elite combatants, they just have to be able to find stuff out. The way the General sees it, we're already spy, so let's offer to be his spy.

If we play this right, we'll be in a position to influence events significantly. The way forward is to continue giving information provided we be allowed to go on our own missions, and then either winning total freedom or working our way to taking command of the imminent military campaign. But either way I feel we're very close to getting some real power.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #842 on: July 10, 2013, 04:30:07 pm »

Sounds good to me. Use our outside resources to learn become a real power broker. Start by getting the general to grant us leave to "collect more information"- which we will gather by finding out more about the real state of the Nerevarine.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 10, 2013, 04:53:24 pm »

Well well well, we are heading in the right direction to become Morrowind's Shadow Broker.
We even discussed lightning and other generators.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 10, 2013, 05:00:45 pm »

That's all assuming the general lets us go. What happens if he says we have to serve our year as an Imperial Guard?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 10, 2013, 06:09:16 pm »

Then we leave and see if the blades can pull some strings to get our desertion forgiven

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: July 10, 2013, 06:13:46 pm »

That's all assuming the general lets us go. What happens if he says we have to serve our year as an Imperial Guard?

Vvardenfall is a big place (in some senses). We might have to move into the underground, but we can make it work.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 10, 2013, 09:17:30 pm »

There's no way he'd stick us on Guard duty, not anymore. And if we slipped away now, he wouldn't be looking for a deserter, he'd be looking for an enemy spy. Believe me, at this stage running away would make us seem like a threat. I believe he'll let us go if we tell him truthfully where we're going and why. If he doesn't trust us enough for that, offer to have someone tag along. Preferably Awesomicus.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: July 10, 2013, 09:18:30 pm »

Couple questions:

1) You guys do realize that both the General and the barracks are in a totally different town right now, right?

2) You guys do understand that the legion is a military organizatino, right? And that you enlisted s a grunt? Are any of you aware of any military organiztion in the world, or in the history of fiction for that matter, in which a fresh recruit who asks permission to just leave and go do his own thing...would be granted that? Because I can't think of any.

3) You guys do remember that you told Darius that the sleeper could kill not only you, but you plus four other legionaires? What possible reason do you have to think he'll believe you're suddenly the man to hunt it down and kill it?

4) You guys do remember that the Geneal flat out said he doesn't trust you, and that he assigned double the guards to Gnisis while you were away just in case you were a spy giving him bad information to lure troops away? what about that leads you believe that if you go up to him and start telling him what you need to do and ask for leave that he'll think it's a good idea?

I simply ask for each of you to read your own suggestions, then pretend that you're the general. Imagine that some new recruit who was completely incompetant and incapable during training, and then suddenly after a month of training turns up with some extremely suspicious information about cultists...asks for permission to set out on his own and get information on and/or hunt down a monster he himself told you could effortlessly kill him.

Would any of you say yes in his position?

Would any of you say "Why, yes! I release you from your service obligation. Don't mind the fact that I don't trust you and that I doubled the guard in Gnisis because I thought you might be a cultist planted to lure guards away. Don't mind the fact that you've been on the inside, in a position to observe the legion and how we work, including specific training on how all of our patrols and patrol rotations work. Don't mind the fact that there have been three attacks on guards and/or towns including one dead guard in the past week...coincidentally at the exact same time you showed up and received that aforementioned training about our patrol routes. I totally believe that you're definitely not a cultist, and that you should definitely be allowed to leave with all that information to go track down a monster on your own that you yourself said could easily take on both you and four other legionnaires all at once. Despite the fact that you couldn't hold a sword a few weeks ago, and were constantly whining for us to teach you magic because you apparently don't know any...I completely believe that you are the best candidate to hunt down this monster that just annihilated a town. I believe all this because you claim to be affiliated with a self-proclaimed god who is antagonistic to all of our Imperial gods, and worshipped by a group who is antagonistic to the Empire. Yes, absolutely I'm going to release you from service to go and do your own thing."

Would any of you say this?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: July 10, 2013, 09:27:45 pm »

Uh... has anyone actually suggested we try to hunt down the monster?

Honestly, reading what you just said, I feel like we've read ENTIRELY different sets of suggestion lists - but since I've felt like that for most of the game. You get angry at us for picking boring choices and berate us for getting ourselves into a mess, but constantly warn us about the danger of the choices we pick that aren't boring and seem to interpret every suggestion in the stupidest possible way. Sometimes things have plenty of support and you don't do them, while other times a single person suggestion it and one backing it is enough to get things to happen. When there's dissent and you have the opportunity to pick something you actually think would be interesting, you insist we come to something approaching a consensus, and when we finally find something we can all tolerate you act surprised that it's not the most interesting, initiative filled choice available - and when we do agree on something interesting and initiative filled, you berate us for that too.

Honestly, I don't know WHY you're hosting this game at this point. I know I'm enjoying reading it and having a good time, but you don't seem to be, and I don't think there's anything WE can do to make you happy. We can't read your mind, we don't know what's going on the way you do, we don't know in advance how all these characters react, and to be honest I have no idea what you want us to do.

Since your the one getting so upset about this, why don't you just tell us?

What, exactly, do you want us to bloody well DO?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:29 pm »

1) When we get back, of course.

2) These are some extenuating circumstances. I doubt he'd stick us in grunt work until he knows more, and many militaries wouldn't keep a defected spy in a GI roll once they discovered them.

3) I'm not saying we hunt it down. I'm saying we go see some contacts. And then report back.

4) Some of these suggestions should probably wait until we gain more of his trust and prove ourselves a bit more.

As I said before, it's too late to actually get out. What we can do is use our knowledge to leverage ourselves into a higher position.

-snip-
Uh oh

Does have a point about the concensus thing, though. The title does say suggestion game, not poll game, so if there isn't concensus on anything good maybe you should just pick the most interesting suggestions and run with them, no matter the votes.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:33:13 pm by HugoLuman »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 10, 2013, 09:48:40 pm »

Experiment 1

Mike, I want to see how this connection works. I've got a quick test here, I want to know how well this works. I'm going to try to send you an image, tell me how clearly you receive it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do you think you could draw that on some of your notepaper (or something else)? Do you see the image as it was made (simple in-game iconic graphics), or do you see it how it was portrayed (that is, as a set of detailed mechanical drawings)?

Further suggested experiments: Finding Boethiah's Pillow Book and seeing what you see... It should be in Auld-rhun.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 02:47:29 pm by PTTG?? »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 10, 2013, 10:03:45 pm »

Let's review our situation:

-We're in the Legion, and have spent an entire month on basic training. Now things are getting violent.
-We spilled some info the general thinks we shouldn't know, and he doesn't trust us because he doesn't know how much more we know.
-A town was just sacked.

Having made ourselves suddenly very, very interesting to the General (earning his suspicion), and with an entire settlement wiped out save for three survivors, does anyone really think he'll stick us on guard duty for a year? No. He wouldn't trust us to patrol around a road where we could slip into the backcountry, and he wouldn't want to lose our information. He'll probably want to keep us near him, so he can keep an eye on us, and he'll probably only send us out with a squad to investigate/engage 6th House sitings or perform reconnaissance.

We must impress upon him that war is imminent, and we must convince him that our information is correct. The more correct information we give him, and the more willing we seem to do our duty, the more he'll trust us. We should probably only give him info we know will be correct. This includes descriptions, locations of Sixth House bases, and the general goals of the enemy. We barely had time to say anything as we were about to leave, but once we get back we can tell him everything we need to. The empire is a very pragmatic military. If he thinks our talents are better used as an informant than a grunt, than an informant we'll be. We just need to gain his trust.

FOR THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE:
-Get/help squad to investigate scene for signs of battle. Spell residue, loose arrows, impact marks, etc. We want to know if these creatures fought differently than expected.
-Take Survivors back to Gnisis for safeguarding/questioning
-Make sure Strillian or the Champion don't leave us behind to watch the place.
-Maybe collect loose change first? I'm not sure if it's a good idea...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:09:25 pm by HugoLuman »

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 10, 2013, 10:08:49 pm »

Also, as this won't take much time, ask some of the survivors if they happened to have been having any strange dreams prior to the attack, possibly involving a tall dunmer in a golden mask.

Let's review our situation:

-We're in the Legion, and have spent an entire month on basic training. Now things are getting violent.
-We spilled some info the general thinks we shouldn't know, and he doesn't trust us because he doesn't know how much more we know.
-A town was just sacked.

Having made ourselves suddenly very, very interesting to the General (earning his suspicion), and with an entire settlement wiped out save for three survivors, does anyone really think he'll stick us on guard duty for a year? No. He wouldn't trust us to patrol around a road where we could slip into the backcountry, and he wouldn't want to lose our information. He'll probably want to keep us near him, so he can keep an eye on us, and he'll probably only send us out with a squad to investigate/engage 6th House sitings or perform reconnaissance.

We must impress upon him that war is imminent, and we must convince him that our information is correct. The more correct information we give him, and the more willing we seem to do our duty, the more he'll trust us. We should probably only give him info we know will be correct. This includes descriptions, locations of Sixth House bases, and the general goals of the enemy. We barely had time to say anything as we were about to leave, but once we get back we can tell him everything we need to. The empire is a very pragmatic military. If he thinks our talents are better used as an informant than a grunt, than an informant we'll be. We just need to gain his trust.

FOR THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE:
-Get/help squad to investigate scene for signs of battle. Spell residue, loose arrows, impact marks, etc. We want to know if these creatures fought differently than expected.
-Take Survivors back to Gnisis for safeguarding/questioning
-Make sure Strillian or the Champion don't leave us behind to watch the place.
-Maybe collect loose change? I'm not sure if it's a good idea...

+1, except maybe for the looting. We, as in the forumites, still don't know the Legion's stance on looting.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 10, 2013, 10:12:22 pm »

Also, as this won't take much time, ask some of the survivors if they happened to have been having any strange dreams prior to the attack, possibly involving a tall dunmer in a golden mask.
+1
Ask the survivors any and all suggested questions, except for completely off-the-wall questions.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 161