Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 408576 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #915 on: July 21, 2013, 09:59:21 am »

Quote from: LordBucket link=topic=126387.msg4423223#msg4423223
You guys might want to check your equipment before making any major decisions there. By my count you've got four weapons, which is more than you can even carry. I'm not sure why you're so eager to buy more.

Selling the longsword would give enough money for a good iron or silver spear. A longsword doesnt do much good if someone's too close to use a spear the length of a walking stick (we're not talking pikes or cavalry spears here), only our tanto would be good at that range. It would benefit us to carry the tanto as backup.

Also, getting just enough training to summon bound weapons wouldnt be a bad idea.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: July 21, 2013, 10:45:10 am »

Since we have military training, I suggest we keep up with the physical combat for the time being. I suggest we sell all the weapons and armor but the tanto. Use the money to buy a short sword (silver or magical, preferably) and try our hand at dual wielding weapons. It may double our skill gains, and there's a chance that it'll be a fighting style unique to Michael, as we have yet to see anyone really stray from the Morrowind standard of weapon usage. Though the only real combat experience we've had ended with an ax in our fleshy bits.

+1 to light armor, though for the time being just go on with the jeans and 20% Cooler shirt.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: July 21, 2013, 10:54:55 am »

Hey, we can always grab a sling for long range. Or are there none in the game? I am just basing things off of knowledge about things IRL.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: July 21, 2013, 10:58:47 am »

I'd say we can make one ourselves. We aren't restricted by the game's library of weaponry anymore, and perhaps exploiting that fact will help achieve CHIM, which is one reason why I suggested trying to dual wield.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: July 21, 2013, 10:59:33 am »

Get a dwelling, go back to working on alchemy. Sell equipment to purchase alchemy equipment. Caius wants us to hang around for a few days, that's fine, let's use it as an opportunity to finally build a bit of financial independence for ourselves and a base of operations. Take a weapon and some armor out while hunting alchemy ingredients and get into a couple fights with monsters to train while you're doing it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: July 21, 2013, 11:01:38 am »

So let us get a sling. Heck, we can use money as munitions for it if needed.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: July 21, 2013, 11:06:53 am »

Also, i'm fine with keeping and using our current equipment - spear and armor we've got equipped are fine, in my opinion.

What's most important at this point is that we specialize, I think.

Meanwhile, we might want to walk to the nearest town through the wilderness (make sure to bring the health potions!) collecting ingredients as we go. We can check that town for quests we might do, and then head back by another route, and we should be in good shape to start making potions and exploring SCIENCE. Then we can see if the Blades have any quests for us.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: July 21, 2013, 11:14:10 am »

Oh, right, setting up housing should be first priority. Before we sell anything, we should immediately see how much housing would cost us, and then make our sales/purchases based on that number.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: July 21, 2013, 05:38:03 pm »

Hmm.  Valid.  Cancelling my earlier vote in light of GM wording.  House, Alchemy, Hunt/Acquire Money.  Gather enough money to get that magic training we need from one of the earlier sources, because Clover is likely to be stuck in Tel Fyr for a while and we can afford to let her get on with it on her own for the moment.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: July 22, 2013, 02:55:37 am »

No dual wielding, please. Such a fighting style takes a great deal of skill and coordination to use effectively. For trying non-conventional fighting styles, using a spear with a shield would also be one to try. Also, if we sold everything but the tanto, it would be a waste to just get an additional short blade.

Spears are the reason mankind became the undisputed master of killing on this planet. They are the perfect weapon for travel, doubling as a walking stick (and going by the graphics, that's about the length of the ingame spears) and (as our ancestors learned) perfect for dealing with dangerous tasty any animals.

If we sell all our imperial legion armor, we can expect to get, at most, 378 Septims for it, bringing our total to
378+200+44= 632 gold for selling legion armor alone.
If we sold our non-tanto weapons, that would bring us up to 698. This upper estimate is based purely on the item's base values. So, plan our purchases with that amount in mind, expecting to have a bit less due to bartering. Our ballpark is about 500-600 septims available for buying stuff.

Let's settle on an armor style, preferably medium but as long as it's not heavy. Caius says we can't be wearing legion armor around his place, as it's too conspicuous, so keeping it would be a tad impractical. Therefore, we must sell it to buy some more faction-neutral armor. As we're already shedding it, and Mike really needs to be able to move more easily, we should switch to either Medium or Light armor. I prefer medium as it would retain more protection than switching to one of the lower-end lightweight suits, but then again the medium armor available in Balmora is pretty expensive.

Whatever weapon we end up using at the end of bettering ourselves through money, let's find out exactly what a '5' in weapon skills means for us. Does that mean we swing way wide, missing our targets epically as the game tries to represent? Or do we just know how to handle the weapon now, making us capable of using it effectively but not particularly good at it?

We have a few days to prepare for what we do next, but we must make a hard decision:
-We could go to Illunibi to see if Clover's lying crippled/dying/dead there (or taking a few days to get out after being stricken with Corprus), or we could head straight to Tel Fyr, but in doing either of those things we risk missing her, and thus missing the chance to properly meet and observe her.
-On the other hand, if we waited her for her to return from killing Dagoth Gares, we run the risk of wasting our time: if she wasn't meant to be, she might die there and we'd be stuck waiting for longer than intended.
-"Fuck this" and going to Solstheim is not an option.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: July 22, 2013, 04:08:19 am »

Ok, if we are forcing Mike to go with a weapon, then a spear is probably a sensible option, if we wish to forgoe the easy route of a crossbow which should be a lot easier to pick up and shoot than a bow. If we have to get a spear, if can get a spear with a ranged magical enchantment, all the better. Not sure about a shield though - with little skill in it, a shield might just be a bunch of wieght for no gain. With regards to weight, Light armour (chitin) seems to be the best option. Don't forget that Clover may soon have an encounter with a Dark Brotherhood assasin, and have a load of light ninja armour they may have no use for, if we are really intending to catch up with her - info again we could use to our advantage. I cant stress this enough - if we can catch up with her, we can tell her all sorts of secrets (like how to get Gold/Eltonbrand, or whatever would be relevant for her and so on...) and get her to do the dangerous stuff for us. If she dies, we can loot her for all the good shit. If she succeeds, we are supporting the Nerevarine in saving the universe. Whatever we do, keep a knife, as it is a useful tool as well as an emergency weapon easily concealed.

I suspect that the 5 in a skill is on the same scale as Morrowind the game actually uses - so useless in other words. You cant really do much with a skill unless it gets close to 20...
This is a blank sig.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: July 22, 2013, 04:32:19 am »

The only reason I suggested getting another short blade is for the purpose of dual wielding. If we don't go that route then we should get a silver or enchanted weapon of any of the types we have basic training in. My problem with spears is the close quarters we will be getting into, and if something gets within our reach then we're going to have a bad day. I also never understood the apparent difficulty with dual wielding. The short sword and dagger were astonishingly easy for me to pick up, but then again experiences are different for everyone. The most difficult part is keeping track of both your weapons, but the opponent will have to do that too. And remembering that one blade (preferably the larger of the two) should be used primarily for parrying and strikes to wear the opponent down, while the other is used for precision strikes, feints, and fancy pants stuff.
Spear and shield I think is not a very good idea. The extra weight of the shield, coupled with changing our grasping technique from a stable two hands to one hand on the spear means we can be very easily disarmed, as I assume the spears were made for two-handed use and therefore one handing it would make it highly off balance or unwieldy. A sling is still a brilliant idea for a ranged weapon. It's light, easy to use, and you can find ammunition for it everywhere.
I don't know why everyone's pushing the spear as a walking stick thing. So far it's see zero use as a staff from what I recall, and with the amount of magical and strider travel we do, that function is not necessary anyway.
Do NOT interact with suspected nerevarines, including Clover, in any way that could benefit or harm them until we know who the actual Nerevarine is. We don't want to trigger resets unnecessarily, and messing around with a PC is a surefire way to do that. Remember, if she dies, she may reload from an earlier point, or another PC could take her place. Getting Clover to die could be a futile action. Until we have a good grasp of how things work we need to keep from intentionally diddling stuff lest we fuck ourselves royally. And for the love of Nards, if people ignore everything else I said and vote against all of it, at least do not help the PCs attain knowledge they could use against us, including that which results in them getting weaponry.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 22, 2013, 06:39:59 am »

Also, if we sell our equipment (and I'm not sure f we're even supposed to sell issued armor >_>) we can finally use it to buy a full alchemy kit, which we should do.

We already HAVE a spear, and decent armor - the most cost effective choice is to just keep using the armor and weapon we have, and sell the rest. Don't go off selling armor and weapons just to buy armor and weapons.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 22, 2013, 06:48:23 am »

It might be cost effective, but what good is our current load-out against ghosts/magical beasts/whatever is immune to regular weaponry? 90% of what people want to do will have us running into creatures of that sort, so while yes, we may be saving some money, we're going to die if we listen to what you say and then the majority decides to raid a tomb or something. I do, however, agree that after housing, alchemical tools should be our next target.

The issued armor point is valid. Check the armorer in Balmora. If he still has imperial chain stuff then we're good to sell dat shits.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 22, 2013, 07:09:41 am »

Yeah, but I think we're a bit more capable of finding better equipment after getting a bit more skilled than just outright buying it with our limited funds.

Also, what's wrong with sticking with our current armor?
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 161