Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 407488 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 08:34:51 am »

To Seyda Neen!

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 08:52:51 am »

No need to be hostile.. I just meant that 99% of people don't make sure to keep tools on them when they're sitting around inside, especially not college students, or Americans, or anyone for that matter. But I suppose you never know when you're going to find yourself stranded inside a video game. ::)
I suppose that came across more harshly than intended. But I actually keep a folding pocket knife or multi-tool in my right pants pocket at nearly all times, it's just a part of my wardrobe.

Anyway, I agree with making attempts at raising any skills. We may look like a dork, but jumping, either in place or to wherever we're going would probably be a good idea for as long as we can keep it up. If the worst happens, we'll just get tired. At best we'll get a confirmation of ability parameters?
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 10:46:05 am »

To Seyda Neen!
This!

Also, hey... kinda' wondering if we could use acrobatics as a bit of a baseline stat detection thing, assuming stats exist. Jumping around a bit and seeing if we're suddenly magically jumping higher every few dozen hops would be a rather safe way of seeing if we're under morrowind skill rules, methinks.
Also this. Even if it doesn't work, it's worth a shot. Acrobatics is probably similar to parkour, and every kid wants to be able to do that stuff, right?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 12:19:51 pm »

Even though i generally lack the time to follow any project in this forum at this point, I applaud this idea and support it wholeheartedly.

Oi.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 01:44:33 pm »

i say head to Seyda Neen then steal Fargoth stash out from the tree stump for money.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 10:47:41 pm »

Episode 3: We're off on the road to Seyda Neen. We certainly do get mushrooms. (boomp ditty boomp ditty boomp)

I'd head to Seyda Neen
To Seyda Neen!
This!
i say head to Seyda Neen

Ahh, Seyda Neen. You know that little hamlet like the back of your hand. Maybe even better. You've certainly spent more time looking at it than you have looking at your hand. Full of conviction, you immediately set off down the road in the direction of Seyda Neen.

But this is Morrowind. Obviously you can't just walk anywhere.

use acrobatics
Acrobatics
plus one to Frumple's idea of trying to improve our acrobatics skill.
jumping, either in place or to wherever we're going would probably be a good idea

You pause for a moment to look at your feet. Acrobatics seems like a good place to start skill training.

"Well, here goes," you say to noone in particular.

*jump*

"Ok. That's not so bad."

*jump* *jump* *jump*

This is a lot more work than spamming spacebar, but after a few more tries you get a rhythm down and are able to jump/walk at the same time. The end result is sort of like skipping really high. You make it about thirty feet before you collapse.

"Ok," you pant heavily from the ground, "I can do this. But right now...rest."

You lie on your back and close your eyes. Briefly. Memory of that mudcrab's pincers prompts you to quickly sit up and look around. Fortunately you don't see anything dangerous. Checking the sky, no cliff racers either. Anyway, you're not sure if you've "skilled up" acrobatics at all, but obviously you do have fatigue. Actually, in a way, Morrowind isn't so different from real life. You're sure if you were you to run around and jump a lot you'd tire quickly but you'd get better at it regardless of whether you were in Morrowind or not. That's basically what you just did.

Might just take some time.

seeing if there's anything along the way that can be harvested.

As you stand up to resume jumping, you happen to glance over at the nearby trees and see a familiar sight.

Tree mushrooms! Bungler's Bane and...what was it called? Hypha something? Hypha facia? Yeah, that's it. And, as expected, walking around the bush you see more mushrooms on the other side of the tree. But...which is which?

Comparing the three on the left with the two on the right you can see they're obviously different, but from actually looking at the mushroom themselves without the benefit of the in-game mouseover text, you really can't tell which is which.

"Well, that's ok," you think. You'll just take them all and figure it out later.

But that introduces another problem. The mushrooms are big. Fully 14 to 16 inches across each. They don't weigh much, but sheer volume is likely to prevent you from carrying too many. You manage to pull all five mushrooms off the tree, keeping them mostly intact, but quick estimate from how much space they take up you doubt you could fit many more than a dozen of them in your backpack. Maybe 15 at most.

Well, that's a problem for later. You feel rested up now and you resume jumping along the road. It's exhausting trying to cover any significant distance by jumping, and you have to stop to rest every 15-20 seconds, but after a few minutes it pays off, as you feel a definite change throughout your body.

Skill gain: Acrobatics skill is now 1

Pausing to rest and celebrate your victory, it occurs to you that you're definitely recovering faster than you feel like you would have in real life. After 15 seconds of jumping you're exhausted, but within 20 seconds you feel perfectly fine to resume. Not entirely conclusive, but it definitely seems that there are at least some game mechanics at work here.

Looking around while you rest, you once again spy some mushrooms on the side of the road.

Violet Coprinus, or...what's the other one? Luminous Russula? Yeah, you're not sure which but you're pretty sure it's one of those two. They're all needed for Ajira's quests at the mage guild, but they're not ingredients that you ever really used for anything. Plus, most of the time you never actually bothered gathering ingredients yourself past the first 20 minutes of a new game because it was always so much easier to simply buy whatever you needed from vendors. Well, this too can be sorted out later.

But looking at the mushrooms, again you have the same problem as before: they're huge. Each mushroom is bigger than your head. You're not sure you can even fit one of them in your backpack without removing the tree mushrooms you already have. How is this supposed to work?

Suddenly the obvious occurs to you: in game, when picking alchemy materials, the mushrooms and plants and things didn't actually disappear from the world. You probably don't actually need the whole mushroom or the whole plant for alchemy. Just scrapings or something. Just leaves, or just stems or just...some particular part and the rest isn't useful. Just like how if you want to eat apples you don't need to uproot the entire tree.

Unfortunately, you don't actually know anything about alchemy yourself so you don't know which parts are useful. So, best you can do, you uproot one of the two mushrooms, break the stem and cap apart and squeeze them both into your backpack. Not much room left in their now. It smells really good. A lot like button mushrooms from a grocery store. You're tempted to try tasting the other one you can't fit, but you decide to pass for now. Best case it feeds you and you learn something, but worst case you end up paralyzed or something and passing wildlife tears you to bits. It's just not worth the risk right now.

just to the southeast should be Tarhiel

You resume jumping along the road, checking the sky for cliff racers and falling people. You see neither. You do see a couple more mushrooms and a draggle tail plant or two, but lacking room in your backpack you decide to pass for now and simply continue on to Seyda Need. If you want, you can always come back later.

You briefly wonder at the implications of not having seen Tarhiel on the way, but for now, you just don't have any answers. Maybe you just...missed him somehow? Yeah, that must be it. Obviously.

Known stats
Acrobatics: 1

Healthy and sated.

Inventory
Worn:
 * Denim pants, with pockets containing: cellphone and wallet with picture ID and $30 in cash
 * "20% cooler" Rainbow Dash t-shirt,
 * Tennis shoes

Backpack:
 * Yellow notepad with 60 pages left
 * 1 pen
 * 3 mushrooms that are probably either Bungler's Bane or Hypher Facia
 * 2 mushrooms that are also probably either Bungler's Bane or Hypher Facia
 * 1 mushroom that's probably either Violet Coprinus or Luminous Russula

What do you do?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 10:55:03 pm »

Bring the mushrooms to the local storeowner. See what he'll offer you for them, and inquire about purchasing a simple weapon to defend yourself.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 10:58:04 pm »

Yes! So there are stats!! :D

+1 to selling mushrooms. Use the coin to get yourself some cheese or something for later.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 12:45:03 am »

Hide the MLP shirt, else it will surely attract cliff racers and the ire of the Dunmer. There are no horses in Morrowind.

I'd recommend a staff for a weapon, as this seems more or less like the real world physically (especially for combat, given how the mudcrab encounter turned out), and a good, solid staff is one of the best protections IRL against marauding wildlife.

Just hope we don't run into an alit or kaguouti, those things are goddamn huge...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 01:18:23 am »

(Note: I'm going to go with majority consensus on what to do. If individual posts say to do things that are generally compatible with the consensus I might work them in, but please nobody be angry if you suggest something that doesn't make it in.

Also, HugoLuman: sorry, but the update was almost finished by the time you posted.)

Episode 4: Arille's Tradehouse, and introducing speaker avatars

Bring the mushrooms to the local storeowner. See what he'll offer you for them, and inquire about purchasing a simple weapon to defend yourself.
+1 to selling mushrooms

As you enter the hamlet, one of the guards greets you.

Good day, citizen.

: Uhh, hi. Just passing through. Looking for a merchant.

: You'll find Arille's tradehouse up the stairs to your right. (he points)

: Thanks.

He looks at you for another moment to confirm that you have no more questions before nodding and continuing his patrol. A passing Altmer woman stares at you, then at your clothing as you walk past.

"Oh, look. A tourist," she sneers.

You laugh. You know it's supposed to be an insult, but in a way it feels good to hear it. It's familiar. If nothing else, it seems that while you're obviously not a native, it seems you "blend right in." Speaking of natives, come to think of it you've yet to see a Dunmer.

You cross the bridge and make a right, up the stairs to the tradehouse.

Then open the door to be greeted by Arille.

: Greetings, Imperial. Welcome to Arille's Tradehouse. I'm Arille. What can I do for you?

(Oh, so they think you're from Cyrodiil. That makes sense.)

: Hello. I have some things I'd like to sell.

: Of course. What do you have?

You empty the contents of your backpack on his table. Arille's eyebrows raise in surprise.

: Mushrooms?

: Alchemy ingredients.

: ...these are whole mushrooms.

: ...umm, well I wasn't sure which part needed to be ground up to make potions so I just grabbed the whole thing.

: I don't think I can do much with this. I'm not an alchemist myself. I see enough alchemists to recognize properly picked and prepared ingredients, but looking at the whole mushroom like this...I'm not even sure these mushrooms are used for alchemy.

: No, I'm sure these are Bungler's Bane and Hypha Facia and the round one is either Luminous Russulla or Violet Coprinus. I just don't know which. Couldn't you just sell the whole thing to someone who does?

: If you'd brought me a whole oyster and I just needed to pick out the pearl, maybe...but this, I think I'll just pass. None of these are particularly valuable mushrooms anyway. I'm not about to take a risk on raw, unrefined mushrooms hoping an alchemist will want to pay to do that himself rather than buy ready-made ingredients.

: Can you at least tell me which is which?

: That you don't know doesn't exactly encourage me. I recommend you find an Alchemist. There's a stilt strider just outside of town that can take you to Balmorra. The Mage Guild has an office there. Sorry I can't be of more help. I wouldn't want you to go away empty-handed, though. I notice that's some fine paper you have there. Unusual color, and the lines are a bit odd, but I can probably find a buyer for it. How many sheets do you have?

: 60

: I'll give you 40 septims for the bunch. Also, that's obviously a very high quality quill. I've never seen one with the feather so well hidden. Though it doesn't look like it would dip easily. How does 2 septims sound?

: It's called a pen, actually. The ink's already inside. No need for an inkwell. Can you do 50 for the paper and 5 for the pen maybe? Also, while I'm here, do you have any weapons?

You haggle a bit, but eventually reach the following prices:

Arille:
 * Will buy your paper in any quantity for .8 septims each (rounded down)
 * Will buy your pen for 3 septims
 * Will sell you your choice of iron club, spear or dagger for 16 septims

Obviously your Mercantile skill could use some work.

get yourself some cheese
cheese or something

: I'm sorry, I have no cheese for sale. But I do have scrib jerky I'd be happy to sell you for 8 septims each, or kwama eggs for 3.

Known stats
Acrobatics: 1

Healthy and sated.

Inventory
Worn:
 * Denim pants, with pockets containing: cellphone and wallet with picture ID and $30 in cash
 * "20% cooler" Rainbow Dash t-shirt,
 * Tennis shoes

Backpack:
 * Yellow notepad with 60 pages left
 * 1 pen
 * 3 mushrooms that are probably either Bungler's Bane or Hypher Facia
 * 2 mushrooms that are also probably either Bungler's Bane or Hypher Facia
 * 1 mushroom that's probably either Violet Coprinus or Luminous Russula

What do you do?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 01:25:49 am »

Sell the paper. Try to get a better price for the pen. Tell her its an enchanted stick that never runs out of ink/dwemer artifact. Go for 8 or 10 Septims. Get the spear if we can manage. Grab one piece of jerky if we can. I'd rather avoid the eggs, cooking might be difficult.

Edited.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 01:42:47 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 01:36:31 am »

Whisper while theatrically looking around that it's a dwemer artifact.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 02:14:06 am »

The paper is a good sell, but keep the pen, it's far more useful to you than any pittance of septims.  Then buy a dagger, you can use it carve meat out of mudcrabs after you kill them.  Inquire about some chitinous gloves or something.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 02:37:03 am »

Unless you guys want a really boring next update, I suggest you make suggestions about what you want to do other than haggle with Arille.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 02:41:18 am »

I've never played Morrowind, just the other Elder Scrolls games, so I don't know where to go. :/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 161