Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 403663 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2013, 09:12:30 pm »

Fortify Intelligence spells/potions?
Do you know the power
We're talking about carrying stuff, not making daedra-tier spells :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2013, 09:21:50 pm »

let just save up and buy a pack rat later to carry our stuff.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2013, 11:53:27 pm »

Episode 8: Dark night of the soul

Slip a piece of yellow notepaper under Vivec's door
bugging Vivec-the-critter sounds entertaining.
I don't think anyone's ever slipped a note under his door before. And yet clearly there's room enough under the door.
DO EET.
lets just the note under the door.

Not to be deterred by the lack of a suitable lock picking scroll, you set out immediately for the Palace of Vivec. You leave the plaza, turn right, and make for the-

...usually, in game, you'd jump over that edge and then hug the wall mid-fall to avoid falling damage. You decide to take the long way down instead. It's a long way down.

The trip takes some time, and you admire the scenery.

At least you try. Between the rain and the darkness, the place looks downright dreary. It infects your mood, and fills you with a growing sense of unease. Is this really a good idea? Vivec is basically a god. What if he thinks you're Nerevar? What if the temple thinks you're yet another false Nerevarine? You don't really want a hoard of Ordinators chasing after you.

The long trip through the city is at least a good workout, and you feel yourself getting stronger as you approach Temple Canton.

Athletics skill is now 7
Acrobatics is now 13

That, however, is when you see...it.

The Ministry of Truth. According to lore, it was an asteroid that fell from the sky. Vivec caught it with his magic and suspended it in the air. The temple later turned it into a floating prison. It's a massive rock, and the sight of it fills you with dread. You can't even begin to guess how heavy it must be, suspended hundreds of feet in the sky. Just...sitting there. A passing Ordinator sees you staring and tells you to move on.

"Keep moving. Scum."

You try, but your feet don't want to move. You stare at your feet, then look up again. You can't bring yourself to walk. The Ordinator pauses to watch you for a moment. He looks at the Ministry of Truth, then back at you. He says nothing, pausing only for a moment before walking on.

More dignity than you expected an Ordinator to allow you.

After a few moment of standing there in the cold, wet rain, you manage to force yourself to keep walking. But...that...in the sky....you have to take a closer look.

Looking up at the massive impossibility above you, it all hits you. Magic is real. Gods are real. This is all real. There are creatures here with such power that they can casually catch thousands of ton asteroids and hang them in the sky. Not as a testament to their power. Not to impress anyone. Not to make a lasting monument. But just because it was the most convenient thing to do.

You feel yourself taking an unintentional step forward, almost like a moth drawn to light, under that massive rock. The runoff of rain from the Ministry splashes you in the face and you jump back. A bolt of sheer terror passes through you as for a moment your brain processes that massive rock as "down" and you're overwhelmed with a feeling of vertigo and fear at the thought of falling those hundreds of feet. You close your eyes and only then do you notice that you're hyperventilating. You step away, trying to calm yourself.

"...it's ok," you tell yourself through clenched teeth, "...everything will be...ok."

You manage to take control of your breathing, but the painful knot in your stomach won't go away. It's like stage fright, you insist. It's bad now, but as soon as you get on stage, everything will be fine.

"Just need to talk to Vivec, and everything will be ok."

Thankfully, the Ordinator leaves you alone as you resume your trek, but you do nearly walk into a priest while walking through the dark, unlit tunnel on the last leg of your trip to the palace.

: "Gah! Who's there?"

: "What? Just me...hi, I'm here to...umm, make the pilgrimage to the shrine."

: "Oh, a pilgrim, thank AlmSiVi."

He's clearly on edge, and seeing him scared over something as silly as just you walking into him helps you feel better about your own problems.

: "Are you ok? You seem a bit on edge."

Nevermind. This does not make you feel better. But you're almost there. You're not going to turn back now.

Miraculously, shortly after you leave the tunnel and approach the final stairs leading up to Vivec's Palace, the first light of the morning sun begins to poke out from over the horizon, and the rain stops.

You're still soaked and tired, but you take it as a good omen. Perhaps you've made it through the dark night of your soul, and from here everything will get better. Maybe. You hope.

You wearily climb the final set of stairs, not even bothering to jump out of sheer exhaustion. When you reach the top you look at the door.

Hmm. Not as much room beneath it as you thought, but...maybe. You tear a sheet from your notepad and experimentally slide it under the door. Yes. There's room. You can do this. You can write a note and slip it under the door.

What do you write?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2013, 12:34:17 am »

Hmm.

Well, we need our plea to talk with him, and we need something to catch his attention. We'd have to show knowledge of one of something secret, and also assure him we won't tell anyone (so he doesn't have us killed).

Given how he talks in game, that probably isn't likely, especially if it's something he knows but no one else would believe. Maybe we could tell him that we know about wraithguard, keening, and sunder. Or maybe we could tell him the location of the Nerevarine.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2013, 12:52:59 am »

Lord Vivec,

Forgive my correspondence but I know naught where else to turn. I am one who wears many faces yet bears only one. In the past I was the Eternal Champion, releasing the Emperor from Oblivion. I was the Agent who stood at the center of the Warp in the West with the Heart of Numidium in one hand. As the Nerevarine I both slew you and was your friend. As the Champion of Cyrodill I took up the mantle of Sheogorath, witnessed the Septim line die during the Oblivion Crisis and the end of the Third Age. During the Fourth Age I was the last of the Dovahkiin who mastered the Thu'um. I shouted down Miraak and brought Alduin low. I am a User and wholly not of this cosmos, yet I find myself trapped here and in need of allies. Again it is for this purpose that I have come to you.

If I am not the current Nerevarine I suspect I know who might be. I shall reside here in your city, most likely in the Foreign Quarter. You shall know me by 'Friendship is Magic.'

Lok Thu'um.

---------

There's one idea for a note. Also just to satisfy my curiosity. Take out your cellphone, place your hand on the door. Type 'unlock', no quotes into the phone and then send.
-J-
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:57:48 am by Jarod Cain »
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2013, 12:59:22 am »

We're probably not the Nerevarine, given the circumstances. And I wouldn't want him thinking we were, since at this stage in the game he might try to kill us for that.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2013, 01:04:05 am »

Well, I wrote that so it could be easily edited and essentially debated between us. Just change that line to say only "I suspect I know who the true Nerevarine currently is."
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2013, 01:04:51 am »

Lord Vivec,

Forgive my correspondence but I know naught where else to turn. I am one who wears many faces yet bears only one. In the past I was the Eternal Champion, releasing the Emperor from Oblivion. I was the Agent who stood at the center of the Warp in the West with the Heart of Numidium in one hand. As the Nerevarine I both slew you and was your friend. As the Champion of Cyrodill I took up the mantle of Sheogorath, witnessed the Septim line die during the Oblivion Crisis and the end of the Third Age. During the Fourth Age I was the last of the Dovahkiin who mastered the Thu'um. I shouted down Miraak and brought Alduin low. I am a User and wholly not of this cosmos, yet I find myself trapped here and in need of allies. Again it is for this purpose that I have come to you.

If I am not the current Nerevarine I suspect I know who might be. I shall reside here in your city, most likely in the Foreign Quarter. You shall know me by 'Friendship is Magic.'

Lok Thu'um.

---------

There's one idea for a note. Also just to satisfy my curiosity. Take out your cellphone, place your hand on the door. Type 'unlock', no quotes into the phone and then send.
-J-
+1
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2013, 01:10:20 am »

1. Don't use a fake name, since we'll have to back it up later and have no idea how good we are at subterfuge (speechcraft).
2. "You shall know me by" → "You will recognize my garb by".
3. Remember the door is still trapped, significant touching or bracing could trigger it anyway (since you can't quite touch things like that in-game).
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2013, 01:21:43 am »

I think traps only trigger with forced entry. Anyways, though, not sure stuff from the future is safe, he might not know it. Better something from the past. Vivec admits he's not omniscient.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2013, 01:47:52 am »

ptw'ing  Also to say that I'm thinking we are starting with ~1 in each skill, so yeah any sort of spell casting is either gonna fail or possibly backfire horrifically on us.  God, I wonder how long an ancestors ghost would take to drain our entire life force even.  Regardless, due to our low as shit starting abilities I say we get a couple scrolls that kill things (doesn't matter too much) and go get the mentors ring back in ((the starting town, forgot it's name been awhile))  also something to either heal us a LOT to deal with the trap on the container for the ring, or a telekensis scroll to open it from a distance  ((that works in game to remove traps, telekensis stops you taking trap damage))
Nom nom nom

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2013, 05:37:24 am »

Episode 9: Letter to Vivec

Take out your cellphone, place your hand on the door. Type
'unlock', no quotes into the phone and then send.

You take out your cellphone. Cautiously you put one hand on the door and use the other to type:

-- unlock

You click send. Nothing happens. You try touching the cellphone to the door and type it again. Still nothing. You briefly experiment with camera mode, but can't figure out a way to be viewing the door and type at the same time. Wait...maybe the door is unlocked now. How would you know? You don't really want to try opening it to find out. On a whim, you type:

-- player->SetStrength 100

You click send, but still nothing happens and you don't feel any stronger. Hmm. Well, you're not ready to completely give up on this, but if it is possible for you to access the command console...this doesn't seem to be the way to do it.

plea to talk with him, and we need something to catch his attention
tell him that we know about wraithguard, keening, and sunder. Or maybe we could tell him the location of the Nerevarine.

You look at the paper and start writing

"Dear Vivec,"

What? No, this isn't a letter to your mother. You go to erase it then remember you're writing in pen. Well, the friendly greeting won't hurt. You keep writing.

"I have information for you about Nerevar. I have seen him. Well, her. Also, I know about Wraithguard, and Sunder and Keening. And Dagoth Ur."

"I request an audience."

You read it over a couple times. Then you crumple it up and start over.

Lord Vivec,

+1
not sure stuff from the future is safe, he might not know it. Better something from the past
We're probably not the Nerevarine, given the circumstances.
"I suspect I know who the true Nerevarine currently is."
maybe we could tell him the location of the Nerevarine.

You begin writing on a new sheet.

"Lord Vivec,

Forgive my correspondence but I know naught where else to turn. I am one who wears many faces yet bears only one. In the past I was the Eternal Champion, releasing the Emperor from Oblivion. I was the Agent who stood at the center of the Warp in the West with the Heart of Numidium in one hand. I cannot say if I am your friend who slew you, Lord Indoril Nerevar, nor if I am now the Nerevarine. But if I am not, I suspect I know who is.

I am a User and wholly not of this cosmos, yet I find myself trapped here and in need of allies. It is for this purpose that I have come to you."

You read it over and notice a spelling mistake. You're not going to misspell words on a note to Vivec, so you tear out another sheet of paper and rewrite the note more carefully this time.

I shall reside here in your city, most likely in the Foreign Quarter. You shall know me by 'Friendship is Magic.'

It occurs to you that he might not answer right away, so you look down at your 20% cooler shirt, and with a grin add the following:

"I shall reside here in your city, most likely in the Foreign Quarter. You shall know me by 'Friendship is Magic.'"

Given Vivec's relationship with Nerevar, it seems strangely appropriate. You're not sure you want to connect yourself with Nerevar, but...come on, even gods love ponies, right? Well, here goes nothing. You slide it under the door until the last half inch remains between your fingers, then pause. You don't want a priest seeing it and pulling it back out. You push it all the way in until your fingers are flush with the door.

Then you wait.

What if he doesn't notice? What if he sees the note but doesn't care? What if he reads it and does nothing? How long are you going-

*creak*

The door opens.

Your pulse races as you look at the open door and step through. There, before you, sits Lord Vivec.

You can't tell if he's looking at you or just happens to be facing the door. Pausing for a moment, you consider your words.

*thump*

You jump as the door closes behind you. Well, you're nothing if not committed now. You approach Vivec, hovering with folded legs several feet off the floor. He looks at you with glowing white eyes. There's something about his gaze that you find...comforting, in a way. Thinking back to the thousand ton asteroid suspended in mid air just outside, you know that if he wanted to he could effortlessly squash you like a bug. But his eyes don't feel like the eyes of a child about to step on an ant, nor are they those of an angry, wrathful god. It's like he's simply watching attentively. Not judging you, not evaluating you, not debating whether you are worthy to stand before him. Rather, simply looking at you and taking in what he sees with neither intent nor desire to filter or judge what input his senses deliver to him.

Several seconds pass before at last, he speaks.

: "I grant you audience."

What do you say?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2013, 06:11:26 am »

Well that was easy enough.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2013, 12:37:46 pm »

Huh. Well, I guess we ask him what he knows about other worlds.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2013, 01:10:29 pm »

"We...well, you're a god, so you know why we're here right? How did we end here? How do we go back home? How much power would you bestow us if we were to tell you of the Events to come? Oh, and we probably have a psychopatic PC on the run. She might try to kill you, you know, or kill an important quest-related npc and freeze everything, which would be bad.
Not as bad as cliffracers, or maybe even worse, but like, really bad..."
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 161