Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 407064 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2013, 01:39:17 pm »

I think if we use too much gamer jargon or keep taking what happens in gameplay as the actual morrowind universe, he'll think we're taking the mick. Also, the PC strikes me more as rude then psychopathic.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2013, 03:01:04 pm »

Yeah, everyone else seems confused by our game mechanics references. What we do know is that the Nerevarine came here on order from the Emperor, hasn't proved herself yet, but will follow a certain path. And we know that path. If she doesn't follow it, she's not the Nerevarine (since in game you're not until you prove it.)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2013, 08:40:48 pm »

Judging by all the details not in the original game we've discovered so far, we're probably in a universe described by the game, rather the any game itself. Kinda like the Morrowind discs were a Myst linking book with a bunch of leeway for interface/development clunkiness/limitations.
 So, since we don't know how the Nerevarine is going to act, and it might very well be in the way implied by the game rather than what players often do, we probably aught to simply give information not part of prophecy. It did run off to Balmora first thing to do that quest, and it might very well start by taking Caius' advice you get when you meet him. It might even rise in the blades primarily and only do secondary quests on a secondary basis. It might even take the main quest seriously.

"I do not know if your divine sight can see my difference beyond my outward appearance, but if you can, just what is this difference? Can you tell if it is some Deadra that has bound me here, and if so, can I be returned using similar methods as those used on Deadra? And finally, where would you like to start hearing about what I know from my travels of sight and time? It is a long, complicated, and dangerous bunch of stories, because I do not know how my knowledge might twist or warp the lines of time. Even this audience might lead to different, more, deaths, and one of the bad ends of a world." At this point remember what it's like to cut the strings of fate and live in the doomed world; for your grimace and the chills down your spine. "I know how timelines can end badly."

Good?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2013, 11:00:31 pm »

Would like to get more player input before the next update.

EDIT:
Guess we can do this in multiple parts.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2013, 12:27:38 am »

Episode 10: Conversations with Vivec, Sermon 1

ask him what he knows about other worlds.

: "What do you know of other worlds?"

: "I don't think you realize how broad this question is. What do you know of books? What do you know of eating? What do you know of living creatures? How many lifetimes do you wish to spend hearing what I know of other 'worlds?'

And yet, truly can I say that I know nothing of 'other' worlds. For how can one have knowledge of worlds besides those which one is part of?"

well, you're a god, so you know why we're here right?

: "You're a god, so you know why we're here right?"

: "I am uncertain how we could possibly be anywhere else other than 'here.'"

How did we end here?

: "How did we end here?"

: "Our tale has not 'ended.'"

How do we go back home?

: "How do I go back home?"

: "Where is 'home?'"

How much power would you bestow us if we were to tell you of the Events to come?

: "How much power would you bestow upon me if I were to tell you of the Events to come?"

: "I remain unconvinced that you have the ability to do so. Your questions thus far lead me to believe that you have little awareness even of you own nature, let alone the world you believe to be around you. If you are capable of telling me now of that which will definitely come to pass, then please demonstrate it to my satisfaction and I will step down from my position and you may take my place as god of the Tribunal."

I do not know if your divine sight can see my difference beyond my outward appearance, but if you can, just what is this difference?

: "I do not know if your divine sight can see my difference beyond my outward appearance, but if you can, just what is this difference?"

: "It is difficult for me to differentiate between that which you perceive as 'you' and that which you perceive as 'not you,' let alone your 'inward' and 'outward' appearance. The borders are not so definite to my eye that I can be certain I would differentiate in the same manner that you would.

You are not Imperial, if that is what you mean."

Vivec appears willing to continue the conversation if you have more to say. But you're beginning to suspect you probably should have thought this through a bit more.

What do you do?

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2013, 02:13:20 am »

We could just level with him and be completely truthful, that we are from another universe where all of this is a game, and we don't know how we were sucked into this. Furthermore we know that we are not playing the main character in the game, which means someone else IS playing the main character, and we know what the main character is (most likely) going to do and who they may be. Drop a few hints about his possible upcoming death, and mention that he will end of vanishing in any case even if he doesn't die, which will cause Baar Dau to fall and cause mass destruction in Morrowind, harming the people living in Morrowind. Then ask him for help. If he agrees, let him know what *should* happen in the game. If he doesn't agree, go find the PC and try to help them out... and kill Vivec with their help, just because he failed to help you, y'know.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2013, 04:09:24 am »

I thought that was essentially the plan. To trade any information we could give him on our world, what we know of the way things usually turn out in Morrowind, the other games, and the psychology behind the potential Nerevarine for training, information, work/status, or in the absolute least friendship and someone to freaking talk to that won't think we're completely insane.

I was thinking of coming up with some questions to ask. But I only got about three hours of sleep last night so I'm not mentally fit to write up a proper "conversations with god" that would be setting appropriate and utilize the proper prose, metaphor, logic, psychology and ponies necessary to deal with Vivec while still being entertaining.

Some key points I'd like to see discussed:
- The psychologically monstrous nature of a Murder-Hobo PC, preferably with an axe-murder montage and dancing Ordinators set to Queen's Don't Stop Me Now
- The differences between our respective universes
- Why it is that no one else besides PCs seem to strive towards bettering themselves in the same fashion as they do

Things I think should be left ambiguous:
- Details of the PC we saw earlier and who they work for
- The possibility we may still be able to (and may still do so) fulfill the requirements of the Nerevarine
-J-
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:11:28 am by Jarod Cain »
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2013, 05:28:10 am »

There are creatures here with such power that they can casually catch thousands of ton asteroids and hang them in the sky.

However for all their might, you and the dunmer girl are the only two on the island who can open doors. Can't think of anything to ask Vivec.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2013, 07:52:45 am »

- The psychologically monstrous nature of a Murder-Hobo PC, preferably with an axe-murder montage and dancing Ordinators set to Queen's Don't Stop Me Now
- The differences between our respective universes
- Why it is that no one else besides PCs seem to strive towards bettering themselves in the same fashion as they do

We knew the PC for all of five minutes. We have no idea who the hell they even are. And again, even if we may be in the videogame itself, it'd be a very good idea not to break the forth wall because that tends to make you come off as a psychopath. So, mention the fact you're from a different world, and don't mention the fact that Morrowind is a videogame in that verse.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2013, 09:12:00 am »

We should tell him that while we do know the general events that will happen, we cannot simply know the way things are going to happen.
We could just level with him and be completely truthful, that we are from another universe where all of this is a game,
This is also something I would consider of utmost importance. We should tell him that the Nerevarine is one of those that plays. Tell him that we don't know how she will act specifically, but that she is likely either in Balmora or near Balmora.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2013, 02:20:12 pm »

I think the most important thing to tell him is that we come from another world where Nirn exists only in a fictional context, and that we know from the plot some general patterns of future events. We should tell him that the Mythic Dawn will try to bring Mehrunes Dagon through some time in the near future, and that should Vivec's power fail the Ministry of Truth will resume it's former path and destroy Vvardenfell.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2013, 03:42:20 pm »

I think the most important thing to tell him is that we come from another world where Nirn exists only in a fictional context, and that we know from the plot some general patterns of future events. We should tell him that the Mythic Dawn will try to bring Mehrunes Dagon through some time in the near future, and that should Vivec's power fail the Ministry of Truth will resume it's former path and destroy Vvardenfell.
+1
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2013, 12:38:01 am »

Episode 11: Conversations with Vivec, Sermon 2

tell him that while we do know the general events that will happen, we cannot simply know the way things are going to happen.
we know from the plot some general patterns of future events.
Drop a few hints about his possible upcoming death, and mention that he will end of vanishing in any case even if he doesn't die, which will cause Baar Dau to fall and cause mass destruction in Morrowind, harming the people living in Morrowind. Then ask him for help.
We should tell him that the Mythic Dawn will try to bring Mehrunes Dagon
+1

: "You're right. I can't know 'definitely' what will happen. But I do know the general flow of events that are about to happen and there are some very nasty things on the horizon right now that we can prevent."

"You already know about Dagoth Ur, the sleepers, and the ash vampires. You already know that corprus disease is not some just random super-blight disease, but rather that Dagoth Ur uses it to corrupt the flesh and minds of the living to make them his. You know that Dagoth is using the Heart of Lorkhan to construction a second Numidium. And you already have plans sitting on the table behind you to assault sixth house bases and then use Kagrenac's tools to destroy the Heart."

"That's fine. And you know what? Up to that point, everything basically works out. But what about after? You're prepared to accept to loss of godhood, I know that. Almalexia isn't. She goes insane, kills Sotha Sil and uses his creations to attack her own people. You...nobody really knows what happens to you. Maybe the Nerevarine kills you. Maybe the daedra take you. You just disappear. And when you do the magic holding up that asteroid sitting over our heads right now starts to fail. So somebody gets the bright idea of rather than bringing it gently to the ground, to construct a magic device that consumes dunmer souls to keep it floating. And after sacrificing hundreds of your people, it doesn't work out and it falls anyway, turning this entire city into a watery hole in the ground."

"But oh, it gets better...because then Red Mountain erupts, pretty much destroying Vvardenfell and forcing everyone who survives to flee to Solstheim just in time for Hircine to decide to fulfull the Bloodmoon prophecy. And as if one deadra running amuk isn't enough, after that gets dealt with the Mythic Dawn cult assassinates the emperor and helps Mehrunes Dagon to open up permanent portals to Oblivion all across Tamriel so that armies of daedra can pour through to try to take over the world."

"I know all this because I'm not from here. I'm from another world. I've seen these things. I've participated in them even though they haven't happened yet. Help me, Vivec. Help me to help you. Help me to save the people of Vvardenfell, of Morrowind, of all of Tamriel."

Vivec is silent for a long moment. At last, he speaks.

"No."

: "No, you won't help me? No, you won't help me save your own people? No, you won't help stop Oblivion from being unleashed upon every living thing on the planet?"

"No, you're not from another world."

just level with him and be completely truthful
I thought that was essentially the plan.
I think the most important thing to tell him is that we come from another world where Nirn exists only in a fictional context
+1
we are from another universe where all of this is a game, and we don't know how we were sucked into this.

: "I am. I really am. I'm sorry if this is difficult for you to accept, but in my world, Morrowind, Daggerfall, Skyrim...these are just computer games that I've played. I'm a liberal arts student from a planet called Earth. Everything I wrote in my letter, everything I've just told you...I know about all this because I've played these games before. Somehow I got sucked in. I don't know how or why, but I've helped this world before when it was just a game, and I want to help it again now that I'm here for real."

"What's your name?"

: "What?"

"Your name. What is it?"

The question catches you off-guard.

: "...I...umm, never chose one. When I arrived I skipped the boat sequence. I landed in a murky pool outside of Seyda Neen, so I ended up not talking to the Census office to choose a name or class or anything."

"Where were you born?"

: "I'm from earth."

"What's the name of the city you lived in, on earth?"

You think really hard...but you just don't remember. Come to think of it, you don't remember anything about the town you live in at all.

"You said were you a student. What's the name of your school?"

: "Look, I don't remember. Don't we have more important things going on here?"

"What's your earliest memory? The very first thing you ever remember experiencing?"

Annoyed to be asked about such trivialities with the fate of the whole world at stake, you nevertheless consider the question. What were you doing last week? You don't really remember. What about...yesterday? You don't remember that either. Strangely, the earliest memory that comes to mind is rather recent.

: "...I guess the first thing I remember is coming home from school. I walked in the door to my house, nobody was home so I sat at my computer, heard a voice and then landed here."

"What were you doing before you came home?"

: "Well, I was coming home from school, so I guess before that I was at school."

"Which specific class were you coming home from?

It's starting to bother you that you can't remember these things. You really should remember. Why don't you? Before you can answer, Vivec continues.

"What's your favorite food? Do you remember even having eaten in your entire life? Do you have any friends? Pets? Family? What are you parents names? In your entire life do you remember ever having spoken to them? What holidays are celebrated by your people? Do you remember ever having celebrated a birthday? What places have you been to on earth besides your own house? Describe them to me. Tell me who you went with. When you went. What you did. What happened while you were there. Tell me anything at all that you've ever done, any place that you've ever been, any person you've ever spoken to in your entire life before you came home from school that day."

There is the sensation of vertigo, as a human falls to his knees on the ground, unable to remember, unable to answer any of Vivec's questions.

: "I...don't know. I...don't remember...any of that."

"Of course you don't. You didn't exist prior to walking through the front door of your house. You said that Morrowind is just a game, and that's true. Morrowind is a game played by gods. And you are in a game too. We both are. Just not the game you thought."

Time passes, with nothing but the sounds of breath of two beings. One, slow and measured. The other, frantic and choked, quietly sobbing...then gradually calming, quieting...accepting.

: "Vivec?"

"Yes?"

: "I...hear voices. In my head."

Vivec nods.

"What do they say?"

What do they say?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2013, 12:46:47 am »

BOOOOOOOBS!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2013, 01:05:02 am »

BOOOOOOOBS!
Ignore him, we only keep him around because.... well I forgot.  Now down to business, would you say that your being here so far has been entertaining for you?  If so why be upset, sure you don't really exist in the place you thought you did but hey, you were really excited at being here initially.  There's also the matter to consider that if you are not having fun then it's less fun for us, and the less fun for us the less likely you will continue to exist.  So since you know all these things that are supposed to happen, wouldn't it be entertaining for us both to try and change as many of them as possible?
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 161