Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 408091 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2013, 01:56:48 pm »

I know you guys are discussing contacting the PC, but I'm worried about our complete and utter lack of resources.
Here's a thought - we (the players and Michael) know quite a LOT about this world. But we don't have resources. You know who can benefit from inside information on items? The Thieves' guild, and possibly Assassins' Guild.

Contact Thieves' guild and offer knowledge of hard to get valuables for a cut
The cut could be financial, or we could request specific items (skill books)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2013, 03:11:18 pm »

I dunno if we should get mixed up with the thieves guild. Morag Tong, sure, since they're sanctioned by law, but no organized crime. Bear in mind too that we might get involved with factions that normally aren't available to join, since quests that got cut due to time shortage probably aren't a thing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 04, 2013, 03:19:54 pm »

Or, this PC might be acting completely on their own accord without influence of any kind from a Player.

Seeing how this is being way more detailed than the actual game, we need to stop making assumptions based on mechanics. Killing someone is more likely to get a watch investigation than a free house.

While we're in the Mage's guild, let's ask people for some basic pointers on magic. See if anyone can tell us how to bind a weapon. Also, let's swing by the nearby stores and see if we can get a staff or spear.

If the PC is the one who kills the homeowner then we can observe the guard's reactions. You do bring up a good point, though. We don't know how far the gameyness extends. We need to get some sort of home or headquarters and observe for a little bit. Push events into play to test the game/reality meter.

Mage's Guild is a good idea in my opinion. I think it'd help us on our path to understanding CHIM, especially Illusion magic as it deals with the mind. Plus they'll likely help us with our alchemy.

If we are not feeling thirsty or hungry though then perhaps getting resources isn't quite top priority, so long as we stay in the city and watch. If we're planning on fighting something though, then we'll need a dagger or staff. Or tear a branch off of a tree!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 04, 2013, 03:38:14 pm »

I say staff or spear, as we've already seen combat and manipulating objects is real instead of gamey, so staff (or big stick) and spear are easiest for those untrained in weapons to use. Plus we could use either as a walking stick, given the harsh terrain we may need to hike over.

I don't know if we should actually join the mages guild, or if they'll even let us, but we should definitely ask for pointers.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 05, 2013, 12:20:03 am »

Okay, I guess we're in Balmora. Fine I suppose we can work with this.

Honestly I'd say that we should join up with the Mages Guild and at least get some Alchemy 101 pointers so that way we can know what specific samples of things to take that are useful. Also this will be our best place to get rid of the ingredients we already have. We should also probably visit one of the traders and see about getting a proper money purse to place in our backpack.

As far as a weapon goes, I agree with the idea of using staves and spears. They're some of humanities oldest and most reliable weapons.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 05, 2013, 05:57:21 am »

Learning how to use spears and staves: good.
Picking up some alchemy basics, via a combination of Mage's Guild and eating safe ingredients (aka food items): Also good.
I would like to add that we should learn how to sneak. Crouchwalk everywhere we go, and try to stay out of sight. We won't be very good at it at first, but keep practicing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 05, 2013, 07:33:24 am »

Maybe get some atheletics by climbing things? That'd get more athletics in-universe, plus parkour is always nice.

Morrowind's Creed, anybody?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 05, 2013, 07:46:49 am »

Next update is in process. It's turning out to be fairly big. Not sure if I'll get it done today.

Couple comments:

Maybe get some atheletics by climbing things?

You've been doing the run/jump routine since episode 3, and have gained 13 points of acrobatics and 2 of athletics from it since then. Check the status page for current numbers.

Crouchwalk everywhere we go,

We can switch to that if it's the consensus, but note that it's mutually exclusive with run/jumping.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 05, 2013, 07:50:32 am »

I know, I was just thinking of changing it for roleplaying purposes, since climbing would get you more experience then running and jumping a lot. Though you would end up having to do a few cheaty things... Hrm.

I vote for crouchwalk. We have enough athletics for now.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 05, 2013, 08:47:37 am »

(Looks like we have our CHIM for now, and it is that we are allowed to metagame shamelessly by researching anything that probably hasn't changed. We don't need to rely on Micheal's memory for everything anymore.)

> Acknowledge Ajira's and Merian's badly hidden looks (to diffuse their discomfort about it) along with a greeting while about to walk away, then stop, looking thoughtful, and strike up a group conversation by asking them "You know, I wonder, out of all the hours you two must spend here, what do you talk about?". This will allow us to test one of the basic game-y limitations of the original Morrowind, find out how much more knowledge than their source-NPCs they have (try getting them to expound on a subject the NPCs cannot, ideally one it sounds like they like), and we can immediately find out if the PC has been through this Mages Guild yet. Moreover, we will be able to do these things in a relatively passive way, by prompting them on the right subjects instead of demanding answers to questions.

>We really shouldn't waste our money on a weapon; we'll probably pick one up somewhere anyway and our physical stats say it won't help.

> If we decide to try sneaking around, don't do it like you see it in the game; just try to move silently, smoothly, using the minimum amount of motion necessary, and try to keep track of where peoples focus is. Successfully sneaking and pickpocketing is all about recognizing the holes in human (well, man and mer) attention. Do you remember reading this Micheal?

20 strength, 30 speed, agility, and endurance. 40 personality, showing our level of social contact. However, we still need to test our intelligence, willpower, and luck. The first two can be accomplished immediately after joining the mage's guide (alchemy and a spell school, respectively), but what of luck? Luck in Morrowind, as evinced by Gaenor and noted by various hints throughout the game, is a property of your outlook upon the world; that sort of perpetual hope that things will turn out better. Now, although there isn't a particular challenge we can use luck against, we can compare spell success rates with people about our skill/intelligence/willpower level and get a sense for it. It might actually be one of our better stats. (Oh yeah, and we definitely have the equivalent of Galsiah's character development; we won't be resting selectively to get optimum stat gains.)

> As above, join the Mage's Guild immediately and start using the various halls to buy/collect tools for alchemy and a spell from each school. Make sure you at least have a healing spell, a damaging spell, and an alteration spell. This would be a good time for one of us to boot up the game and check guild prices with a 40 personality, base mercantile, character then post screenshots, since then we wouldn't have to pay teleporter fees to compare prices.
This will all be a serious stopping point if it turns out we don't have any magicka or all our magic skills are naturally 0, but for all we know he actually has 20 mysticism or something from habits of thought and feeling. Does getting to know psychology, light, and sound, through various books and classes give you illusion skill? Judging by some of the skill books (examples), this is probably the case.
> Micheal, when your testing each spell you buy, try to remember at least one thing from your schooling and your hobbies that might help cast it.
> Like for alteration...remember how you managed to read a lot of fiction and science fiction without quite being a nerd? How every time you're doing something boring you manage to day-dream about something completely different? You've learned dozens of stories over the years about that surreal, wondrous feeling a protagonist gets when they first learn they're in a magical world, far, far away...and you've felt that feeling, now both by rapport and personally. It's the feeling of dreams becoming reality, of the strange and the common switching places, of— of writing too, of making something in your mind more real, more solid, by placing it down in the world around you. The feeling of taking dreams and making them reality.

(This was actually mostly done last night but then collapse happened. Oh well.)

Edit: I attempted a price check, but discovered that with the default game, stated stats, 1 mercantile, a disliked race, and insulting the shopkeepers before bartering, I was unable to get all the prices we've already seen (ondusi's scroll being ~double, silt-strider being a bit less). Maybe it's just a price-tweak mod, but there's also a chance economy is actually in effect here, considering all the other physics that works.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:17:55 pm by Nivim »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 05, 2013, 12:54:15 pm »

Note: this is a big update. It also introduces gameplay mechanics that are likely to become important later, but buried in enough story-telling that some details might be easily missed.

Episode 15: Let's make Fulcanelli proud

While we're in the Mage's guild, let's ask people for some basic pointers on magic.
Mage's Guild is a good idea in my opinion
I don't know if we should actually join the mages guild, or if they'll even let us, but we should definitely ask for pointers.
we should join up with the Mages Guild and at least get some Alchemy 101 pointers
join the Mage's Guild immediately

You turn to the guild guide on your right.

: "Hi. I'm not a mage guild member. Can you teach me spells?"

: "Sure. Only higher level spells are reserved for members only."

: "Great. What can you teach me?"

: "Wow. That's totally convenient and within my price range. I'd like to learn Bound Dagger and Soul Trap please."

: "Certainly. Dagger conjuration is relatively simple. All we're doing is translocating a lesser daedra spirit and compelling it to take the form we require of it. Any of the circinate structures will work for the abjurative portion of the process. And since we only need such a minor entity it's very easy to do and doesn't require much power. I'll walk you through it."

: "Umm...ok."

: "Go ahead and close your eyes."

: "...ok."

: "Now, just to keep things simple, go ahead and consruct a basic Hermetic four. Sequence doesn't matter."

: "...what?"

: "Oh, I'm sorry. I just assumed your background was in the Trismegistus school, since you're an Imperial."

: "Umm, no, actually-"

: "That's fine. Go ahead and consecrate watchtowers then. It's slower, but that's no problem. The premise is basically the same. I'll wait."

: "...watchtowers? What are those?"

She frowns.

: "Coven type magic circle elemental bounders. If your background isn't Hermetic and you're not a witch...I guess you must be Tetragramic then? I'm sure that will work just as well, but I'm not familiar with that methodology."

: "I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't know any magic at all."

: "You what?"

: "I don't know any magic."

: "At all?"

: "None."

She blinks a couple times.

: "Really?"

: "Really."

: "When you say you don't know any magic...do you mean you're not familiar with the conjuration school? Or do you mean-"

: "I don't know any magic. At all. Period. I know the names of the schools. That's the complete extent of my magical knowledge."

: "Can you direct raw magicka, at least?"

: "No."

: "...you're not an atronach, are you?"

: "No, I just...look, I'd like to learn magic, but I don't know anything about it. Can you teach me? From the beginning?"

: "Huh. This is kind of out of my...yeah. You should talk to Ranis. I'm sorry, but you need to talk to the headmaster. She'd be better able to advise you. Corridor on the other side of the plant, turn left, follow the corner and go straight. Name is Ranis Athrys. She'll be the dunmer in a fancy blue robe. You can't miss her."

: "Ok. Thanks."

Somewhat discouraged, but not all that surprised, you make your way to the entrance to talk to Ranis.

: "Go ahead, Citizen. What do you need?"

: "Oh, Ranis. Your voice...it's both awesome and familiar. I can hear it in my head so clearly. It's really nice to hear it."

Ranis' eyes widen in surprise and she blushes slightly. Apparently she's unaccustomed to receiving compliments.

: "...ummm, sorry. That just slipped out. I do like your voice. It's...familiar. Anyway, the transport guide suggested I talk to you about learning magic. I don't know any."

: "None at all? Let me guess. You're an atronach and only recently found out?"

: "No, I just...my parents never taught me and the school I attended didn't teach magic."

: "Hmm. Introductory level material isn't part of our charter. If you were a member of the guild, we'd be obligated to provide you training, as much as you could afford, but mage guild membership requires functional knowledge of the six basic schools and at least intermediate knowledge of one. I'm sorry, but you're not our problem."

: "So what do you suggest I do?"

: "If you were a native I'd suggest basic schooling, but from your accent I can tell you're not from around here. You could try affiliating yourself with one of the Great Houses. If you could convince one of them they might be wiling to teach you enough to at least make you useful to them. Failing that, I'd suggest an apprenticeship if you have a couple years."

: "Years?"

: "One to four typically. But honestly, most of the time is spent learning the required math and justifying the instruction time to your master through menial labor."

: "Math? I'm pretty ok at math."

Ranis rolls her eyes a bit.

: "I'm not talking counting to ten, outlander. Metamagical math is a subtle and esoteric art that takes years to comprehend and a lifetime to master."

: "How complicated are we talking about? Could you give me an example?"

She pulls out a piece of paper from her robe and begins writing on it. After about ten seconds she hands you the paper and arogantly cross her arms with a smirk on her face. You look at the paper. It's a basic albegra problem. Like...fifth grade stuff.

: "A is 5. B is 2."

Clearly shocked, Ranis grabs the paper out of your hands. You watch as her eyes dart back and forth at the paper, apparently confirming your answer.

: "You did that in your head?"

: "Yeah."

Frowning, she picks up her quill and writes out a more complicated problem and hands the paper back to you. You pull out your pen and get to work. It only takes a minute or two. You double check your work to be sure, but the problem itself isn't that complicated.

: "Your answer is again correct. How did you come to know of such things without learning magic? "

: "Magic wasn't a requirement for my bachelor's degree program. Algebra was."

Ranis frowns in confusion at the unfamiliar reference, but then shrugs it off and thinks for a moment.

: "A traditional apprenticeship would take years, and while a Great House, much like my guild, would certainly be willing to train you if you could convince them to accept you, it would be difficult to gain admission without already knowing at least some magic in the first place. It's a difficult position, but for someone with your knowledge, there might be another option. Are you perchance, rich?"

: "What if I were?"

Ranis shrugs

: "I'm sorry. I'm too preoccupied with my own duties and studies to take on a student myself. But I do have an acquaintance in Pelagiad, a personal friend of mine by the name of Nelvyn Andrano. I could write you a letter of introduction. He might be willing to take on a student in exchange for a sufficient sum of money. With your metamathematical knowledge, theory will come easily to you. It shouldn't take more than a week or two for you to gain the practical ability."

Received letter of recommendation from Ranis Athrys

: "How much do you think it will cost me?"

: "You'll have to negotiate with him, but a full introductory immersion, from nothing to basic casting competency in all six schools...that's probably worth at least a few thousand gold."

help us with our alchemy
at least get some Alchemy 101 pointers
Picking up some alchemy basics

: "What about alchemy?"

: "Alchemy training is not restricted to members, but unfortunately the Balmora branch of the guild lacks a qualified alchemy trainer at present. You might talk to Ajira. She's the khajiit you probably saw on your way in, but she's very new and I can't honestly recommend her as a teacher. I suggest Anarenen in our Ald'ruhn branch, or if you'll be staying in Balmora there's a local unaffiliated alchemist by the name of Nalcarya the White who is competent. Her store is on the north side of town near the temple."

You thank Ranis for her time and the referral. Stepping outside, you turn right towards-

...or at least you start to. Before your foot lands you're struck with a strong sense of deja vue. You've never been here before but this suddenly seems very familiar. You look around to see what might have triggered the feeling, but nothing stands out. You simply feel like you've walked through this door before. But, in a sense...haven't you? This is Balmora. You've walked through this exact door probably hundreds of times...in game. It should be no surprise if it seems familiar, right? But according to Vivec you've only even existed for a day or so and all those memories of playing Morrowind aren't really yours. Why should false memories feel so...memorable?

After a moment the feeling passes and you resume your trip. You do, after all, know the way.

Acrobatics skill is now 14

: "Hi. Ranis at the mage guild recommended you as an alchemy trainer. I know nothing about alchemy, and I'd really like to learn."

: "Ranis referred you? That's odd. I thought she was still angry over my refusal to join that foolish Imperial guild of hers. I don't often teach beginners, and I admit that Ranis being your referral doesn't exactly encourage me to want to train you." You give her your best puppy dog eyes and she finally relents. "Oh, very well. In all honesty I could use the extra coin right now, anyway. I just cleaned out my till buying up a whole bunch of stock I don't really need from some new dunmer in town."

: "Oh? By chance was it a female dunmer? About this tall? Long dark hair?"

: "Yes, do you know her?"

: "No, but I've seen her around. I don't suppose you got her name?"

: "Sorry, no. She didn't say. Funny thing is...I'm not really sure why I bought her potions. She bought the materials from me, made them right here while I watched and sold the results right back to me. 3000 septims worth."

: "What kind of potions?"

: "That's the strangest part. They were all potions of drain magicka. I know, right? I basically just paid 3000 gold for some apprentice alchemist to use my own materials to make less than worthless potions of inferior quality compared to what I could make myself. I don't even know why. It seemed to make sense at the time. I suspect she charmed me when I wasn't looking. I don't recall the scent of Telvanni bug musk"

: "That's...actually very interesting. And fortunate for me, since I don't have a lot of gold. How much for you to teach me alchemy?"

: "You're a complete beginner? Do you have your own tools?"

: "Yes, and no. No tools."

: "Ok. 400 septims and we use my tools. "

: "I only have half that. Would you settle for 150 and some potions?"

The two of you negotiate, and eventually settle on 200 septims and all but one of your healing potions.

New skill: Mercantile is now 1
Personality is now 41

Nalcarya straightens her hair and begins teaching.

: "Alchemy is the science of purifying and refining base and mixed materials into their isolated and higher forms. We accomplish this through the four basic processes of dissolution, fermentation, calcination and distillation."

"The process of dissolution is a simple grinding of whichever alchemical reagents we choose to reduce particle size and increase surface area, along with a mixture of urine to begin a process that will ultimately result in a homogeneous solution. For this we use the mortar and pestle. At this stage it is not necessary for the materials to dissolve fully, as we are simply providing a mechanical head start for the more esoteric subsequent processes."

: "Wow. Big words. And...did you say urine?"

: "Yes. Preferably from the first urination of the day, as it will be more concentrated and therefore contain more vital essence. Urine is the prima materia of our work, and truly the other plant and animal parts we use serve simply to give the final result character rather than substance."

: "You're telling me that potions seriously contain pee?"

Nalcarya ignores the question and continues her lecture.

: "Next, fermentation is performed through use of the alembic, which is basically a still. Free floating bacteria will feast upon the slurry produced in previous step, further breaking it down much like yeast making bread or alcohol. These creatures are able to break down material inside their bodies more finely than our mechanical grinding would be capable of and then excrete it as increasingly refined vital essence."

: "Out of curiosity, how do you know about microscopic bacteria?"

: "Very finely attuned Detect Life spells. Next, calcination. This process involves the application of heat sufficient to reduce the materials to a fine powder. For this we use the calcinator. Please note that while it is generally acceptable to simply burn materials to ashes, it is crucial that the smoke from this process not be lost, as it contains far more vital essence than the more physically substantial portions. Additionally, some portion of the more naturally fine materia will have already dissolved into the liquid, and it must also not be lost. Be sure that the calcinator is properly sealed to prevent the escape of both steam and smoke, or else your final result might be little more than dust. Calcination is not an extraction process. Nothing is removed. It does, however, also have the useful side effect of sterilizing our product from the bacteria that was necessary in the previous step.

Finally, distillation. For this we use a simple retort. It is possible to use an alembic for this stage as they are similar devices, but it is strongly inadvisable as doing so runs the risk of introducing less refined, pre-fermented particles, as well as contamination of un-calcified bacteria if your alembic is insufficiently clean, thus requiring the previous step to be repeated. Generally for non-alchemical works the purpose of distillation is to increase concentrations via the simple removal of undesired water from heavier materials through the application of heat. In our case we are recovering the evaporated water as an inconsequential, but conveniently lubricating waste product that contains within it the actual goal of our refinements: the lighter, primal and vital essences. We then discard the dust that remains."

: "So you're telling me that potions are fermented plant and animal parts boiled in pee?"

She raises one eyebrow.

: "And brandy is concentrated fruit juice that has been decomposed by fungus. For that matter, you're an Imperial, are you not? I understand that you eat cheese where you're from. Shall I describe to you the manner in which that is made?"

: "No, that's ok...I withdraw the question."

For the next few hours you practice with Nalcarya, using her tools and cheap materials. One thing you notice immediately is that since the process has four discrete steps, it is fairly time-consuming. But, since the alchemy tools are fairly large and the potions themselves are rather small, it doesn't take particularly longer to make 10 potions than it does to make 1. You can easily refine ten potions worth of reagents in a single batch.

find out how much more knowledge than their source-NPCs they have (try getting them
to expound on a subject the NPCs cannot, ideally one it sounds like they like

: "So now I understand where the liquid for drinkable potions comes from. What about the bottles?"

: "What about them? They're fired ceramics. Red mountain produces ash in abundance, and the soil throughout Vvardenfell is very moist. I'm sure you've seen: we're basically one big overgrown swamp in a lot of places. The result is that clay is ubiquitous here. Dunmer are naturally resistant to heat, and pretty much everyone knows at least a little destruction magic. So pretty much everyone grows up making pots, bottles and decorative knickknacks. It's not even necessary to use a kiln when you can spew fiery death from your fingertips at will."

: "Wow. That's...actually very interesting. So is there much buying and selling of potion bottles?"

: "Not really. As common as they are and since everyone can make their own they don't have much value. Some people re-use them, others just destroy or discard them. Professional alchemists like myself make them fresh and inscribe labels onto the underside to for easy identification since not everyone can distinguish potions by smell. And I do keep a small stock of pre-fired, unlabeled bottles on hand that I sell for 1 septim each to the occasional noble or adventurer who either doesn't want to get their hands muddy handling clay, or simply lacks the time."

: "Wow. Ok. So what next? What about recipes? Any combination of saltrice, whickwheat and marshmerrow makes a healing potion, right?"

: "No. While reagents are necessary to give the result character, remember that the prima materia of alchemy comes from your own body, and is therefore unique to each alchemist. For one alchemist, those ingredients you mentioned might make a potion of healing, for another they might make one of invisibility or paralysis. Or both. Every ingredient has a number of effects, positive or negative, that vary and are unique to every alchemist. Now that you understand the processes involved, the actual production of a usable potion simply requires the selection of any combination of reagents that have at least two matching properties. What those properties are, you will need to discover for yourself."

: "...so you can't even tell me how to make a basic healing potion for sure?"

: "Well, in principal no, but there are a number of effects that happen to be more or less universal. For example, you might or might not be aware of this, but every alchemical ingredient has a limited effect on its own, simply from eating it, with or without any purification."

: "I was aware of that, yes."

: "For example, for the vast majority of people, eating things like small kwama eggs and bread restores fatigue. There are occasional incidents of children born for whom eating these things results in them becoming poisoned, for example, but it is rare, and such children rarely survive to adulthood."

With a little trial and error, you are able to confirm that yes, bread and small kwama eggs help you to restore fatigue.

New reagent knowledge: bread - [1] restore fatigue
New reagent knowledge: small kwama egg - [1] restore fatigue

Finally, over the next hour, Nalcarya teaches you how to identify and pick reagents, and which parts are used. As it turns out, in the case of mushrooms such as the Luminous Russula you picked when you first arrived, it's only the spores that are useful. Uprooting entire mushrooms like you did was not only unnecessary, it was wasteful. Spores will typically grow back within a day, but a fully grown mushroom might take weeks. Also, it turns out that the reagents you had in your backpack were saltrice and kwama cuttle.

The entire process and methods of alchemy are far more intricate and complicated than you ever would have guessed. And altogether, you still don't understand why it works. Nalcarya gives the metaphor of alcohol, and how it isn't exactly intuitive that boiling things and letting them rot would create edible results, let alone results that would give a pleasant buzz. But she also hints that there is a more fundamental, perhaps "spiritual" force at work. It is difficult for you to completely reconcile, but at this point it appears unnecessary. Regardless of how or why, it does work, here, and by nightfall you feel yourself to be a basically competent alchemist.

New skill: Alchemy is now 5
New attribute: Intelligence is now 31

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

What do you do?

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 05, 2013, 01:51:03 pm »

Though it's rather irrelevant now, when I said drag I meant that literally. As in, grab pommel with both hands behind back, lift and walk, tip scraping against the ground.

Use our knowledge of secondary school maths as a kind of street trick, to earn some gold. That, or offer to teach people how to do these maths without magic, since it's pretty damn simple.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 05, 2013, 02:16:03 pm »

Noted: Never try to barter with the PC.

How hungry are we? And cold when we go outside? If either are the case, get a coat or some food.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 05, 2013, 02:20:29 pm »

(Thanks for reading the wall anyway, Bucket.)

Sounds like the Possible PC has not only been busy but has the powers given by the video game mechanics.
> If we run into them at all we must expect everything to go their way, and for them to have any level of knowledge that can be gained through testing. Spend a minute or two deciding how you want to act around the PPC; if they get a chat window for you, what topics and options will be available? We should close off bartering, for starters, so we don't lose all our stuff for junk; don't trade with the PPC under any circumstances. Or seconding Fniff first line.
Then we need to decide if we want to look main-quest-important or give out a lot of information, and remember that they can probably make us a "close friend"...
> Decide that you'll only tell the PPC about any topic if you feel they are very close and trustworthy to you; this should cause them to bribe us, then save the game because it might be quest-related.

About that deja'vu; if it was just from playing the game, why hasn't Micheal been getting swamped with the feeling constantly for most of his time here?
> Check back with Ranis about that "female dunmer with long, dark hair" to see if she passed through there not long ago.
If we have any weird connection to ~her, we should keep track of it until we can leverage it.
> What makes a memory false? Why is it those memories "aren't really yours" just because you haven't had them very long? You are still determined by your memories. Just because those events aren't real so far as this universe is concerned doesn't mean they aren't real to you.
(To finish the thought.)

Use our knowledge of secondary school maths as a kind of street trick, to earn some gold. That, or offer to teach people how to do these maths without magic, since it's pretty damn simple.
Remember how long elementary school usually is, and remember people might not care about math if it doesn't allow them to do spellcasting. Math is neither colorful nor instantly useful.

What loot do we know of? We need to get it quickly.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 05, 2013, 02:38:22 pm »

when I said drag I meant that literally. As in, grab pommel with both hands behind back,
lift and walk, tip scraping against the ground.

I considered that, but dragging a four foot long 60 pound chunk of metal sharp enough to scuff stone across an entire city wouldn't exactly have been easy. Probably also wouldn't have gone over well with the two Ordinators you had escorting you when they realized you were scratching a permanent trail through the stone floor of their temple. If you guys really wanted to try pawning that gear, Cerol probably had the most practical solution, which was to simply take the dagger. It only weighed 9 pounds. But nobody +1'd him, and too many people vetoed taking anything at all for me to squeeze that in over their objections.

(Thanks for reading the wall anyway, Bucket.)

Oh, I read everything. Several times, usually. The text part of today's update was probably 80-90% finished when I posted several hours ago though, with the rest of the time working on it mostly spellchecking, taking screenshots, and image editing and uploading and so forth. It takes a couple hours typically to do an update, so content from posts that come right before tends to not make it in unless they happen to agree with what everyone else already suggested.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 161