Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 408105 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #330 on: June 15, 2013, 04:31:05 pm »

Seriously, we should help Vodunius while we're here. We'll need 100 gold first, but we'll get a discount on the strider and use of his house.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 16, 2013, 03:48:04 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We know that math will allow us to learn magic more quickly, but we still know absolutely nothing about how to do magic. If we spend time working on this stuff before syncing up with a good teacher, we will just create a bunch of preconceptions that we might have to discard within the first few sentences of instruction— or worse, spend extra time unlearning if they get entrenched. We can wait on this by not waiting on visiting Nelvyn, the teacher in Pelagiad.

We should take Vodonius Nuccius's ring off his hands, too, so we'll get a discount from the strider lady here.
Seriously, we should help Vodunius while we're here. We'll need 100 gold first, but we'll get a discount on the strider and use of his house.
Counterpoints: we need every 100 we can get to bring us closer to that training; our next destination is by road; we might never make up that money on just one port; we might never have the opportunity to use that house; we'll probably get another one anyway; and finally, we can probably come back for being a good samaritan when we have more money anyway. I apologize if this seems querulous, but it seems like you're missing something and I can't tell exactly what.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 16, 2013, 04:31:24 am »

Note: Next update about a third done. Probably be up late tonight.

2:30am, and I'm just now getting to this. Glad I said probably rather than definitely. Sorry, but not going to get the next update up before I fall asleep. But I'll leave everyone with a small, vague and possibly misleading spoiler: Michael gets some combat skill gains.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 16, 2013, 01:47:29 pm »

To answer the questions that popped up when I hovered over preconceptions:

1) Each school of magic is intrinsically different, as are the equations and methods of solving them in each different study of mathematics. And as, for example, I'm great with Algebra and Calculus but terrible with Geometry, the mages each have schools they excel in and fail at. I know I may be stretching it, but we know exactly nothing on how the magic works other than it involves mathematics. It couldn't hurt.

2) To grasp the complex you should first grasp the basics. I didn't pick up a guitar and shred out some Eruption on my first attempt. I had to learn, study, and practice the basics before I could even attempt it. And even then, I still practice the basics, as they are the foundation for the whole thing, bitchin' improvised solos included.

The issue with teachers is that it will not be free. I think we had a great opportunity for cash (Legion) but we went away from that with really no solid cash plan.

Seriously guys, before you say no to an idea, do try to think of an alternative. Otherwise we'll just die of being poor or whatever.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 16, 2013, 01:53:02 pm »

Somehow I think some schools of magic might be more intuitive than calculative. Mysticism sounds

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 16, 2013, 10:13:06 pm »

Alright, I finally finished reading through this whole thread and now feel like I can actually make somewhat competent suggestions.  The first of which would be:

Taking a journey over to that mudcrab merchant that has a huge amount of gold on it.  Buy something from it to see where its stash of money and items is and then kill it and take all its stuff.

Use the money to buy stuff for alchemy first and then the rest to learn magic.

Oh and I was thinking, there is a lot of magic present in the Elder Scrolls Universe that is accessible to NPC's but not to the PC.  Necromancy and Daedra magic would both stand out as great ways to gain lots of power if we don't mind the risks.  There's the orc mage in Balmora that secretly practices Necromancy and if we said we know her secret, we could probably convince her to teach us the art for free (maybe even magic for free).

Long term goals: I think I like the thought of Michael becoming god like.  The Heart is an good option but don't forget there are plenty of other ways that might even be better.  Maybe something like the deal the original Dragonborn made with a Daedra Lord?  I think if he was killed, he just got sent back to his master's realm of oblivion.  The only reason he "died for real" was because the Daedra Lord killed him after he was beaten by the PC.
Still, god like power is a long way off.  First I say join the Televani House.  Its by far the easiest to become the leader of because you can just kill off anyone who disagrees with you.  That would give us a good powerbase to accomplish our other goals.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 16, 2013, 10:16:55 pm »

I don't think trying to make a deal with Hermaus Mora is a good idea :P

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 16, 2013, 10:38:08 pm »

Eh, the only reason he killed off the first dragonborn was because the dragonborn was planning to betray him.  Still, Mora does seem a little bit controlling.  I suppose all the Lords have their issues though.  Personally I've always been somewhat fond of Jyggalag but he isn't around at the moment.  Molag Bal would probably give us power but he's definitely one of the more evil princes.  Mehrunes Dagon might give us power but that could easily lead to the world ending somewhere down the line.  Oh and if we're okay with going the undead route, there's always the Ideal Masters.

Hmm most of the other princes probably would be less willing to work with someone who's just power hungry and looking for god like power.  Oh and we should probably stay clear of Azura considering she is working with the Nevarine who might be a crazy killer PC.
Sure thing peanut man!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 16, 2013, 10:41:03 pm »

Molag Bal apparently taught Vivec CHIM, but I wouldn't really take Vivec's word on Vivec's past.

Clavicus Vile would definitely be willing to make a deal with someone who's just power hungry, but he's kinda the deal-with-the-devil guy.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 16, 2013, 11:27:01 pm »

Then I say we make a deal with the devil, become a god, and double-cross him. He'd never have a back-up plan or killswitch if we were to pull that. It'd be totally unexpected!

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 16, 2013, 11:38:30 pm »

Actually now that I think about it, the Ideal Masters were once mortal necromancers who just became really powerful, immortal and created their own plane of oblivion.  That might be a better (if more difficult) option than making a deal with any of the Daedra Lords. 

Eh, well that's all long term stuff anyway.  I still think short term it would be good to go on over to that the mudcrab merchant for the money to learn magic.  Then on to the orc necromancer in the mage's guild and blackmail her into teaching us necromancy.

Somewhat unrelated but I wonder what happens if you soul trap a Daedra Lord.  It would probably require Azura's star but I would think the enchantments you could make with something like that would be amazing.  Also, making Daedra Lords into armor is probably the closest thing to killing them that anyone can do (probably more so than banishing them to the waters of oblivion).
Sure thing peanut man!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 17, 2013, 01:10:08 am »

In-game, the largest soul that can be trapped in the entire series is Almalexia's; the second largest is Vivec's. Both require Azura's Star, and both are ridiculously large (Almalexia's being 1500 and Vivec's being 1000). Azura's Star alone is worth 7,500,000 septims if it has Almalexia's soul in it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 17, 2013, 02:29:34 am »

Damn! Just got Late-arrival-spoilered for the Dragonborn DLC :(

Anyway, before we go to the talking mudcrab merchant, we need some kind of raft or rowboat. Swimming long distance is more tiring than jumping everywhere, not to mention the slaughterfish (damn things are bigger than a man in Morrowind, remember?) Incidentally, swimming laps somewhere slaughterfish-free would be an excellent way to train.

Blackmailing Sharn Gro-Whatever might be a viable way to get teaching, though I don't know whether or not she's the murder-to-cover-her-tracks type. If we became her pupil, it might be a good idea to focus on building trust to make up for the initial blackmail thing. And again, mind that conscience.

We probably should avoid deals with any of the Daedra, though talking to them would be good. We should ask Creeper whether or not he's really Clavicus Vile's dog.

Does anyone concur with me on Vodonius Nuccius?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 17, 2013, 02:35:53 am »

Actually, Nuccius is an interesting idea, because, well... Morrowind is going to become a very hostile place very soon. Would it not be wise to... leave? Would that be possible? Could we follow him?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 17, 2013, 02:43:44 am »

Episode 21, part 1: First Blood

0. Make sure the guard is gone, and then apologize with all the heart-bleeding-feeling you've just experienced.
1. Tell her that you cannot get the book back now, but you might be able to get something else she lost (look foggy at this moment, like you've had a sight from the Nine Divines, as they say), if she tells you which "he" went missing. This will trigger the part of the quest normally gained through rumor.
2. Go find the body, and grab the money. You know where it is, and you can move fast...if of course it's still there. The murder is obviously unsolved, but the body could easily have been found and dealt with, and she'll tell you. Regardless, stop jumping to save energy for running.
3-1. If you gained corpse money/information, report to the effective police officer of this town about the murder, give him the taxes, and say that you are going to go investigate immediately.
3-2. If you learned 2 is already done, tell her that you will start investigating immediately to find her ring, then make those words the truth.
4. You already know who did it, but you should collect the information to make sure it's the same person this time. Also, not mixing up events.
5. Quietly and swiftly get a guard for the murderer, talk to them alone with the door ajar, in an attempt to get them to serve time instead of dieing needlessly. Let the guard do the fighting if they get violent, but help if you can. Make sure to get that ring.
6. Return the ring to Thavere, asking her if it will at all make up for what you took from her. You will mean it, too; why do these people have to be so much more gripping when they're right there in person?
I support this
+1
+1 as well
Im throwing my vote in with this.

: "Miss, I apologize. I'm very sorry for your loss."

: "What do you know of my loss?"

: "You're right. I don't know what it is you've lost. I don't know what kind of relationship you had." You gaze upward, trying to look inspirational. "But I do know that you're in pain, and by the Nine Divines, I'm going to do what I can to ease your burden."

It's difficult to gauge her look. If you were to try, you'd call it skeptical optimism. It's like she wants to believe you, but is afraid that if she gets her hopes up, they'll just be thrown to the ground and stomped on later.

: "Please excuse me."

You walk out of town to look for the body, not sure if you'll find one. You never found Tarhiel's body. Plus, the way you remember it, when this quest is done normally, nobody knows that Processus is actually dead rather than just missing until you find the body and report it to the Census office. From the way Thavere acted, you're pretty sure she knows he's dead. Time to go find a body.

You head out of town and set out in the direction you think of where the body is supposed to be.

You're pretty sure he's off the road to the left, so you get close enough to see the water and walk through the grass. You pass a couple mudcrabs, but they ignore you. It's a misty night, and visibility isn't very good. You see some boulders up ahead and think the body might be just on the other side. Quickly making your way closer, all you find is a pair of massive rats, who unlike the mudcrabs, take immediate notice of you.

Knowing there's no way you can take them on, you turn to run, but despite their stubby legs, they seem to be faster than you are. One of them manages to bite your leg as you run. It hurts, but not terribly.

Unarmored skill is now 1
Health is now 38/40

You manage to kick him off and keep running, but it's nearly a minute run back to Seyda neen, and the rat is biting at you the entire trip.

Unarmored skill is now 2
Health is now 34/40

Fortunately by now you're nearly at the bridge leading to Seyda Neen

: "Help!"

A guard comes running to your rescue.

Unfortunately, he chooses to attack the trailing rat, leaving you to struggle with the closest one for a bit, but you manage to take no further injury by the time he comes over and one-shots it.

: "Thank you."

: "Anytime, citizen."

: "Hey, how long have you been in the Legion?"

He seems a bit surprised at the question.

: "A little over two years."

: "So you did your year, and you've reenlisted twice? How is it? Good?"

: "I can think of no finer way to serve our Emperor."

: "Right, but...how is it?"

: "I spent my first few months on wall duty at the various forts. Darius and Moonmoth mostly. The wildlife here know to avoid forts, so It was dull. Eventually I was reassigned to the Balmora - Moonmoth route. That was my first taste of combat. Rats, cliff racers...every few weeks it was something."

: "Every few weeks?"

: "Yes. I remember clearly the first time I fought a scrib. It had followed a miner from the Shulk egg mine back to Balmora and was harassing the silt strider. Couldn't hurt it, of course, but when I saw it I drew my sword, ran up and swung, but somehow missed. It turned around and bit me. First time I'd ever been paralyzed. I thought I was going to die. But it just kept biting my shins until the effect wore off and I crushed its head with one blow. It was glorious."

Clearly the guard is relishing in the memory.

: "So how'd you end up in Seyda Neen?"

: "We rotate assignments every month. Last month I was stationed in Khuul, this month Seyda Neen, next month I might be anywhere. This is a good post. Close to people, nice quiet town, but far enough into the woods that there's still some action."

: "Did the Legion teach you to fight?"

: "Yes. Basic is four weeks. There's a lot to learn other than fighting, but by the time you'e done you'll have learned how to use armor and shield, as well as the preferred legion weapons: long blades, blunt weapons and spears. Are you considering joining?"

: "Considering. Haven't decided. By the way, I'm Michael."

: "Michael? That's an unusual name. Vibius Caecilianus."

You thank Vibius again for his time, then retrieve some alchemically usable rat meat from the rats. By the time you finish the sky is starting to get noticeably blue, and you take a few minutes to see if you can locate the morning sun. Turns out that "south" is on the other side of Seyda Neen, so you miss the sunrise itself, but you do manage to catch a nice view from near the lighthouse.

The brony in you giggles like a schoolgirl and you thank "Celestia" for raising the sun, wondering which of the daedra would be actually be responsible for sun-raising here, or if there even is such a thing. Aren't Azura's spheres dusk and dawn? So that would make her...Twilight? You chuckle at the thought, but quietly hope that she isn't watching. This is, after all, her time, and you're not sure she'd get the joke. Actually, that brings up an interesting question. Vivec said he was mortal now, but what about the daedra? Are they omniscient here?  What's the extent of their power? Azura in particular was the narrator for Morrowind. Surely she would be in a position to know something about your situation?

Anyway, the sun is lovely, and seeing it make your wounds not hurt as much. Only then does it occurs to you that maybe you should check them. Obviously walking hasn't been a problem, but you don't want to get infected. You sit down in the dirt and check out the backs of your legs. There are obvious, bloodied holes in your pants, and pulling them up you see that there are some equally obvious gaping holes in your calves. You immediately reach for your health potion, but before you take it, it occurs to you that it doesn't hurt even when you flex the muscle and you don't seem to be bleeding particularly. You stand up again and jump a few times. Doing so doesn't make it hurt any more than it already does, and you don't seem especially hindered by the injury. Curious, you sit back down, pull a pant leg up again, wipe off one finger as best as you can and poke it into one of the wounds to feel around. The sensation of running your finger along the inside of the wound in a direction parallel to your leg is distinctly different running it perpendicular. Your pretty sure those are muscle fibers you're feeling.

It's creepy, but it just doesn't hurt all that much. It feels no worse than fairly bad cat scratches or a rugburn.

Shrugging, you get up and head back out of town. You don't know yet if infection is an issue, but at least bleeding doesn't seem to be. Worst case, you can use your health potion, and you're fairly certain you can find cheap ways to cure disease. You return to the clearing in the boulders you found the rats in. Looking at it, it doesn't look right, but on the far side of the boulders you find a clearing that you're almost positive is where Processus' body is supposed to be.

No body. But, several mushrooms. You scrape the alchemically useful lamella from their undersides while you consider the situation. You're not totally surprised his body isn't here. Thavere knew he was dead. Did that dunmer woman start this quest and not finish it? Or are there others besides the two of you able to do quests? Can any npc do quests? Or does this entire "quest" dynamic not work here like it does in game? Certainly the world here more or less matches the initial Morrowind game state. Maybe you're not really "in the game" anymore, and this world was simply created from an initial snapshot. Or maybe like one of your voices keeps suggesting, this is a game but there are a whole bunch of PCs in it.

Oh, is that a draggle tail plant? You pick some more alchemy materials while you ponder.

What doesn't make sense is that the body isn't here. In Morrowind, it wasn't possible to move certain bodies. This was one of the permanent ones that couldn't be moved except via the console. But it isn't here. But then, the majority of bodies can be moved. So maybe the "permanent" bodies are simply acting like "temporary" bodies. That would actually be trivially easy to script. You'd almost call it a bugfix.

Oh, look. There's some hypha facia. Sure, may as well take that too.

But what about the ring? Well, several obvious possibilities come to mind. If a guard found it and dragged the body back to town, it might have been confiscated as part of the investigation. If a PC took it, or anyone else for that matter...they might have looted the body and only turned in the tax records and gold to the census office. For that matter, it's possible that the body was never turned in it all. You don't remember anyone actually saying that he was dead. Given your own recent encounter with two rodents of unusual size, if the guy went out to collect taxes as part of a regular route, and disappeared for days, it wouldn't be such a stretch to guess he was dead. There's no shortage of wildlife they might simply have assumed he'd been eaten by. Or for that matter, that might have eaten his corpse if nobody came by to find it. It's possible the ring might be in a guar's belly right now.

Oh, is that a...

...cliff racer? Time to leave.

Now.

You turn to flee, the leftover sting from your leg injuries completely forgotton as visions of being eaten to death by cliff racers fills your mind. You turn to look, still running, and nearly do a "dumb girl in horror movie running from killer" faceplant, but manage to stumble your way out of the fall. Pausing, you look...but you see nothing, and hear only your own ragged breath over the background swamp noises.

It didn't see you.

You walk the rest of the way back to Seyda Neen while you consider what to do.

(continued in part 2)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 161