Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 407874 times)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #465 on: June 23, 2013, 11:34:01 am »

It'd be better to go three and three, I think. 16 hours on and then 4.8 off. It's still not enough sleep, but at least we're not spending most of our time getting in and out of bed.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 23, 2013, 11:39:42 am »

I guess first we should see if Michael actually needs sleep here.  We might only need to rest in order to heal in which case having more numerous resting periods might be advantageous.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 23, 2013, 11:46:10 am »

Agreed. after all, free training, free food and lotas money, whats not to hate? even the boredom we can deal with via math.
And if they see we can do math we may get payed more.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 23, 2013, 11:49:02 am »

Free training and (probably) enough money to get partial magic training, for two weeks of work? That sounds good, put like that.
I now support signing up for the Imperial Legion, after telling that woman where her book is.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 23, 2013, 12:08:24 pm »

So now the legion seems like a good idea? We need to seriously stop getting so...I don't even know the word. So far we haven't been happy with going for any option in front of us, and instead would prefer to putz about the island deciding we want to do something that's somewhere else before we decide we don't want to. Even if we shot it down when we were right there.

Don't join the Legion. If we find ourselves in the area due to other circumstances, great. Maybe then we can try it out. But how about we decide on doing something in the town we're in for once without getting horribly side-tracked. And maybe finish something we start.

I'm going to cut off the hands and feet of the next person who suggests an idea that we already shot down and moved away from. Sure, it's not out of the question. Never is. But we've got a really bad trend going on and we need to nip that shit in the bud. I'm sure Mike and, by extension, OP, are not happy with our course of (in)action.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 23, 2013, 12:37:46 pm »

Since we've been here for a few days, Micheal, have you felt the need to sleep?
Also, go join the legion.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 23, 2013, 01:57:16 pm »

In light of everything - Ugh. Okay.

Finish up in Seyda Neen, then join the Legion.

Let me explain why - joining the legion, we get shipped around for free. We actually get a good bit of time off. We become slightly more survivable. And here's the thing - EVERYONE is supposed to know the basics of magic, right? We should try to figure out if any of our fellow legionaires can teach us at least then, and we can try to work it out ourselves from basic principles if need be. If not...

I think we'll actually have plenty of time to practice alchemy. We could probably collect ingredients while we're on patrol if just from corpses, and if not, we will have a bit of downtime. And it will actually be a fairly good opportunity to get around and meet people.

Put in a request to get stationed at the place with the magic trainer we wanted to check out, if possible.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 23, 2013, 03:23:08 pm »

Peligaid is a pretty boring post, a retirement community of sorts. Still, it's a pretty safe post too. No cliff racers.

I suggested the Legion in the first place, and I've been for it since. I just didn't get my vote in time when it came up. So join up, next time we're somewhere it's possible.

Before leaving Balmora, let's purchase the rest of an alchemy set at least.

I don't think we should actually learn necromancy, but we should get the skull if the opportunity presents itself. Sharn can teach us Restoration, as well as help advance our standing with the Mage's guild.

Don't join the Fighter's guild, we're not cut out for it and we'd have to pay dues.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 23, 2013, 06:50:35 pm »

Be a man. It's time to join the Legion.

First though, tying up loose ends here is important.Reject the Thieves Guild's offer, and Finish up in Sedya Neen.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 23, 2013, 08:20:57 pm »

Cutting off submissions for episode 26 now.

Odds are fairly decent for an update tonight. Just depends on how much I manage to get done. Still tabulating votes. A lot of people double and triple voted, and some people voted to do something, then 10-20 hours later voted to not do it. Note sure where the results are going to end up.

EDIT:
Ok, here are vote totals. Episode 26 going up soon.

Spoiler: raw votes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: votes sorted by player (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: final count (click to show/hide)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 24, 2013, 07:47:33 am »

(Note: votes tallied in previous post)

Episode 26, part 1: Sugar, underestimated alchemy, Thavere, a strange couple and on to Gnisis

* Ask if we can delay on deciding, steal something later, then join immediately
 * ask if we have to do anything for the guild besides sell to their fences
 * If there are any other downsides
 * We might also hire their help
 * ask if we have to
 * ask if we have
 * Ask if we can
 * ask about
 * Ask if
 * Ask
 * ask
 * ask

: "Can you tell me more about how this works? I want to be sure I understand what I'm getting myself into. Are there any other obligations if I join? What if I steal gold rather than items? Do I have to give a cut of that? Am I expected to do other jobs? Are there any monthly dues? What if I don't steal anything? What if I steal something but don't personally benefit from it? Like if I give it away? Or what if I do keep something? Am I not allowed to keep things, do I have to sell them even if I would use them myself? Is the 50% fixed, or does that go down if I gain ranks within the organization? How do I gain ranks? Does it matter?"

Halfway through your questions, Sugar-lips starts to look bored and reaches into her clothes. She pulls out a small white object and pops it into her mouth. As soon as she begins chewing a look of sheer delight bursts across her face, which then spreads through her entire body, making her look happy and relaxed.

: "...what if somebody steals something from me and I steal it back, do I then have to sell my own item back to the fence? There are rules about not stealing from other guild members, but how do I know who is and isn't? What if I get it wrong, purely on accident? Are there any other downsides to joining? Any other drawbacks? Anything else I need to know? I'd really like to be clear on how this works and what precisely is expected of me. Also, do I have to decide now? Can I hold off, and say...steal something later then come back to join without having an assassin sent after me right away? Or id I decide to steal something later do I need to hold off then join first? Is the sequence important? Are you flexible on that? What else do I need to know?"

By now, Sugar-lips is simply smiling into your face as if she hasn't a care in the world.

: "Sugar thinks you think you too much. Be toad? Or not be toad?"

check to see if (theives guild) fences have Processus Vitellius' Ring

: "By the way, while I think about whether to join...has anyone sold any rings to you? I'd like to buy a specific ring that someone might have stolen."

: "Oh? *purr* Buy is good. What ring?"

: "It belonged to Processus Vitellius. He was the Seyda Neen tax collector."

Sugar-lips chuckles to herself as if amused by your answer.

: "No, you cub. Gold? Steel? Gems? Good fence does not ask where things come from. What does it look like? "

: "...actually, I have no idea what kind of ring it is. I never saw it."

: "Sugar can't help you find ring you can't tell Sugar what it looks like."

Yeah, that makes sense. If you don't know what it looks like, how could she possibly be expected to know? It obviously wouldn't have "Hi, I'm Processus Vitellius' ring" inscribed on it.

Ask about the price for stealing Thavere's book from the merchant.

: "How much to have a book stolen? I need a copy of The Wraith's Wedding Dowry to give to the girl in the lighthouse in Seyd Neen. But not just any copy. It has to be the one that Arrille has, since it was hers. Hopefully he still has it."

Sugar-lips is still smiling, but has clearly lost interest in you. Her ears and eyes are moving frantically about, as if she's hearing things she hadn't noticed before, and she's rapidly shifting...almost hopping, her weight back and forth between her legs. When she responds, her speech is much faster than before.

: "You just ask to ask? You have no more than 50 gold. Sugar checked. Can't pay us. Don't waste Sugar's time. You be toad? Or not be toad?"

* join the Thieves Guild
 * Reject the Thieves Guild's offer
 * Join the Thieves Guild.
 * Do not join the thieves guild.
 * Join the Guild
 * Do not join the Thieves Guild.
 * If...join the guild.
 * If...then we should opt out.
 * if...then join immediately
 * We might

: "I'm just not sure."

Sugar-lips raises her arms over her head as if to stretch, then yawns happily.

: "That's ok. Sugar choose for you."

With her hands already in the air, you see that she makes a quick motion with her fingers, then pops another white object into her mouth and starts jumping up and down and giggling to herself. You turn to see the two thieves you passed on the way in. A male bosmer with a no-nonsense look about him, and a nord blonde woman who easily has an 6-8 inch height advantage on you. They exchange a look and then look at you.

: "Umm...hello. No, don't trouble yourselves over me. I can find my own way out."

Instead of answering, they grab you by both arms. Your try to break free and run, but each of them individually is much stronger than you are and between the two of them there's not much you can do to escape. Fortunately they don't seem to be interested in hurting you. At least, that's how it seems up until they open the door and hurl you face first onto the stone outside.

Health is now 28/41

: "Sorry. No hard feelings. And don't worry about Sugar-lips being angry. She never remembers anything after she starts hitting the sugar. If you change your mind about joining, feel free to come back later. Just...decide before you do, ok?"

* Before leaving Balmora, let's purchase the rest of an alchemy set at least.
 * Try to get the remaining supplies you need for alchemy.

Contrary to Sugar-lips' claim that you have no more than 50 gold, you actually have 223. 44 in your coinpurse and the rest in your backpack. That she was able to check your coinpurse so easily reaffirms in your mind that dividing up the gold in two places is a good idea. You figure you should probably set aside about 70 for travel, so that leaves 153 you can spend on alchemy tools. Time to go shopping.

: "Hi, Nalcarya."

: "Hello, Michael. What can I do for you today?"

: "I've been wanting to use what you taught me, but the only tool I've managed to procure is a mortar and pestle. Would you sell me the rest I need for a full set? Preferably for cheap?"

: "If you want apprentice tools, all I have is an alembic and calcinator. I'll take 62 gold for the alembic, and 12 for the calcinator. If you need a retort, I do have a master's quality retort, but I'd have to charge you several hundred for it."

: "Hmm. Ok. Maybe I can pick up a cheap retort from Ajira. Could I see what you have?"

: "Certainly. Right behind you. Same tools you trained with, in fact."

Immediately you see a problem. A big problem.

They're simply too big. Those are waist-high crates. The calcinator is basically a steel drum, with a complicated, if somewhat low-tech vaccum seal. It probably weighs 20-30 pounds, and it's easily a foot in diameter. The alembic is a fully functional two-chamber still. Only about ten pounds, and effectively much smaller since the tube is flexible...but even if you emptied out your backpack of everything already in it, you doubt you could fit both in there at the same time. You pick up the retort...it's lighter than either of the other two, but it's also fairly bulky. You could fit the calcinator in your bag and carry either of the other two pieces in your hands, but there's no way you could transport all three at the same time.

: "How do people transport these things? They're really big."

: "Most heavy item shopping is done via recall. Mark where you want then, come here and recall back. It's rare for alchemists to not also be wizards. For those who aren't students of mysticism, slaves are the simplest option. Argonians can be purchased for very reasonable prices in Sadrith Mora. Just be sure to have your hospitality papers in order before doing business there. The Telvanni are rather particular about that kind of thing. Where do you need them moved to?"

: "...umm, I was just going to carry them with me."

She blinks a couple a times.

: "Goodness, whatever for? I realize you're new to Morrowind, but why don't you just rent a house somewhere? If you'll be staying here in Balmora, go to the Hlaalu council house and make arrangements. There's never any shortage of rentals available here. House Hlaalu keeps the prices high enough to make sure of that."

Hmm. Yeah, thing is...you're not planning to stay in Balmora. At least not right now. Looks like this is something you'll have to set aside for now. House first, alchemy tools later. Before you go though, you stop by the Balmora mage guild and price check a retort from Ajira. Seems she doesn't have any apprentice retorts in stock either, but she does have a journeyman retort she offers to sell you for 93 gold. So that would be cutting it close anyway. 93 plus 62 plus 12 is 167, and you only wanted to spend 153 at most to leave money for travel. That's probably more conservative than you need to be. It was what, 13 to get to Seyda Neen and 44 to Gnisis last time you went? Plus, you could probably haggle Nalcarya down a bit, and you do still have some odds and ends you could sell to make up the difference. You ask Nalcarya for a price price check, and she offers 16 gold for all your alchemy reagents, 8 for your healing potion and 12 for the bottle of greef you stole from Thavere. You'd rather not part with all that, but yeah, you could make this happen if you really wanted to. Or, could you? After all you'd need to make two trips: buy the calcinator, then to Gnisis to drop it off, then back here to buy the retort and alembic, carry one in backpack and carry the other, then back to Gnisis. It would be an extra 100+ gold in travel fees alone, and that might be a deal-breaker. Plus, the way you keep bouncing around all over the place, you're not certain that you'll be staying in Gnisis anyway.

You decided to hold off purchasing alchemy tools until you're more certain where your base of operations will be.

* Finish up in Sedya Neen.
 * Go back to Seyda Neen. Talk to book quest lady and tell her you at least did what you could by finding her fiancee's murderer, and ask her if they were engaged doesn't she have his ring to remember him by?
 * tell that woman where her book is.
 * find a way to wrap up that business with the book before moving on.

Athletics is now 11

You head to the silt strider and pay 13 gold for transit to Seyda Neen. While you bord the strider, hwoever, Selville gives you a very strange

: "Is anything the matter?"

He looks around the strider with a frown, but doesn't answer right away. A few seconds pass while you wonder what's going on, before he suddenly looks up at you with a strangely artificial smile and insists that everything is fine. Clearly something is wrong, but you're not sure what.

Shortly before you arrive, you pass another silt strider on the road. Curious, you crane your neck to see and it looks like there are two passengers.

: "Hey, is that the Seyda Neen silt strider?"

: "Yes, sera. That's Darvame's strider."

Interesting. So you just missed somebody, no make that two somebodies...leaving Seyda Neen.

: "Mostly likely a couple, sera. Strider travel is very popular for newlyweds."

Hmm. Darvame mentioned something about that when you first spoke to her. We'll, it's probably nothing.

Sure enough, once you arrive at Seyda Neen, the strider dock is empty. It will probably take a few Morrowind-hours for Darvame to return, but you have some things to take care of first anyway. First thing is to go to the lighthouse to talk to Thavere.

But apparently she's not there. Apart from a few crates and pieces of furniture, the lighthouse is empty and a quick check of the crates reveals them to be empty. Hmm. You head back to the main part of town and start asking around.

: "Hey, any idea where can I find Thavere Vedrano?"

: "Lighthouse Thavere? She's gone. She left Seyda Neen.  Once she found out that Foryn had been killed for resisting arrest after confessing to murdering Processus, she checked in with the Census office, sold off her things and left town."

: "Any idea where she went?"

: "I didn't talk to her myself, but the rumor is that she and Vodunius left together. Apparently he finally managed to pawn off that cursed ring of his on some idiot, and booked passage to the mainland."

Hmm. Well, that at least should be easy to check on. Darvame was Vodunius' roomate, and you need to take her ride to get to Gnisis anyway.

* Make sure NOT to miss our appointment with our guard friend!
 * Meet up with our guard friend for a drink

One last thing to do before you leave Seyda Neen: talk to Vibius. You find him wandering around in the big open spot by Fargoth's tree stump.

: "Hey, Vibius."

: "Greetings, my friend. You're a few days early."

: "Am I?"

: "You were just here yesterday. Two more days until Loredas."

: "Yeah. About that. I might have to cancel."

: "Why so?"

: "I've decided to join the Legion. I'm on my way to Gnisis now."

: "Ahh. Yes, it might be a while before you have some free time then."

: "I was thinking though," You dig through your backpack and pull out a bottle. "I happen to have a bottle of greef. We could have that drink now. Unless it's against regulations to drink while on duty?"

: "Well, I'm sure an entry in my weekly report that I'd taken a beneficial potion wouldn't be seen as dereliction of duty."

: "Hehe, that works for me."

The two of you split the small bottle between you. The liquid burns as it goes down your throat and immediately you're overwhelmed with a sense of tremendous power.

: "Wow. That's strong. And I feel...strong."

: "Of course. It's greef."

You consider his words for a moment. Then you drop to the ground to do some push-ups. You were never really good at them, but you should be able to at least do a couple. You figure that...oh. WOW. Pushups are nothing.

: "Wow, this is totally easy."

Giggling at how strong you suddenly are, you kick your legs up to try to go into a handstand, but clumsily overextend and fly all the way over and flop onto your back.

: "Hahaha! This is fun!"

: "Well, looks like we know what kind of drunk you are."

: "No, it's not drunk! I'm not drunk! It's just...I've never felt so strong!"

Before long the feeling passes, and Vibius helps you back up. You toss the now empty bottle back into your pack.

: "By the way, I forgot to ask the other day. Who was it who found Processus' body?

: "I wasn't present for the report, but I think it was Varian on patrol that day. Why do you ask?"

: "Thavere and Processus were engaged. I thought it might be nice if Thavere could get back her engagement ring, but Socucius said no ring was found on his corpse."

: "What do you mean? If they were engaged, wouldn't she already have it?"

: "No, I mean the his ring from her.?"

: "She gave him an engagement ring? I'm not familiar with that custom. It's not uncommon for an imperial man to give the woman he intends to marry a plain iron ring to signify that she is his. But I've never heard of a woman doing so. And Thavere was dunmer. So far as I know they don't exchange rings at all. Unless it was part of a dowry, in which case yes it would be proper for her family to get it back."

...hmm. Sounds like marriage customs here are a bit different than you assumed. Come to think of it, Thavere never actually specified that it was an engagement ring. In fact...she never said anything about any ring at all. She only asked about the book he gave her. If Processus' ring was an engagement ring that she gave him, it would be a very obvious thing for her to want back. Is it possible that Processus' ring had no connection to Thavere at all, and it was just a ring that he happened to own?

Unfortunately you have more questions than answers right now. You exchange farewells with Vibius and head to the strider dock. By now, Darvame has returned.

Acrobatics is now 20
Max health is now 42

: "Hi, Darvame."

: "Greetings, sera. May I take you somewhere?"

: "Yes, Gnisis please."

You hand 44 gold to Darvme and chat along the way.

: "So Vodnius left Morrowind, huh?"

: "No, sera. Only Vvardenfell. He left for Narsis, a city on the southern plains of mainland Morrowind."

: "Oh, right. What about Thavere? Any idea what happened to her?"

: "They left together. I took them to Vivec myself, on their way to Ebonheart. She said she could not bear to remain here where so many happy memories taunted her. He wished also to leave, and suggested that they could reduce expenses by travelling together."

Hmm. Well, at least that's one loose end taken care of. Hopefully. Probably. ...maybe.

: "What about you? You were sharing rent with Vodunius, weren't you? What will you do now?"

: "I would be concerned about that, sera, except that business has been very brisk of late. Worst case, I have my strider. I don't really need the space. But between you, and all the other travelers coming and going through Seyda Neen of late, I think I needn't worry."

: "Oh, that's right. You weren't here when I arrived."

: "A thousand pardons, sera. I pray that your wait was not long?"

: "No, it was no trouble. I had business to take care of anyway. I passed you on the way in from Balmora, and I was just curious about your passengers. Selvil seemed to think you were carrying a wedded couple. Did you talk to them at all?"

: "A bit, yes. Though I did more listening than speaking. They were no married couple. It was a dunmer sorceress and an orc."

: "Did you get their names?"

: "No, sera, I did not. The orc spent most of his time sulking, and the girl was too busy asking questions to be concerned over simple pleasantries like names."

: "What sort of questions?"

: "Mostly the same questions you asked of me when you first arrived. How the strider routes are organized, what happens if two travelers arrive together seeking different destinations, that sort of thing."

Hmm. Not sure what to make of that. It could be important. Or it might be nothing. Darvame says they're headed to Balmora. If you want you could head back and maybe catch them.

how about we decide on doing something in the town we're in for once without
getting horribly side-tracked. And maybe finish something we start.

...or not. Come to think of it, having just spent 13 gold to get to Seyda Neen and 44 more to get to Gnisis, you're not going to spend double that just to go back to where you started just to follow a questionable lead that might not mean anything. Right now, it's time to join the Imperial Legion.

(continued in part 2)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 24, 2013, 07:48:29 am »

(continued from part 1)

Episode 26, part 2: Joining the Imperial Legion

* It's time to join the Legion.
 * join the Legion.
 * go join the legion.
 * I now support signing up for the Imperial Legion
 * Legion So join up, next time we're somewhere it's possible.
 * consider joining the legion.

After arriving in Gnisis, you head immediately to General Darius.

: "You again? What brings you back?"

: "I'd like to join the Legion, sir."

: "Oh hoho...I knew you were a smart lad. What's your name, son?"

: "Michael."

: "Not anymore, it isn't. As of today, you are Recruit Michael of the Imperial Legion. You won't regret this son. Why, I bet by the time we're done with you you'll be almost as strong as any patrolman on the road."

Before you can fully consider the implications of that statement, General Darius yells into the corridor and a legionnaire enters the room.

: "Yes, sir?"

: "Michael, this is Quartermaster Strillian Macro. Quartermaster, meet our newest recruit. Recruit Micheal...VV-2819. Put him through basic, and don't let him slack off. I want him on patrol bright and early 29 days from now."

: "Yes, sir."

Standard induction is four weeks, during which you learn proper command etiquette,
how to march, the basics of weapon and armor use, and the like.

You follow Strillian outside while the two of you talk.

: "Is this the part where you tell me I'm a maggot and that I'm supposed to follow orders?"

: "Some militaries might work that way, but this is the Legion. You're expected to follow orders, but our strength is in our martial bond. We're not dogs competing with each other. You're Legion, now. Being called a Recruit is just as much a badge of honor and respect as sir."

: "So how exactly am I supposed to address Legionnaires?"

: "For now, call anyone in uniform sir."

: "What about General Darius? Is he actually a general?"

: "His rank is Knight-Protector, but don't call him that. Officer titles are unwieldy. Noone uses them except at official functions. General is a non-formal title for his position as the highest ranked out of all fortress commander on the island. Or take me, for example. My rank is Trooper, but my assigned position is Quartermaster, so you can call me that. Sort of like how the officer in charge of a naval vessel is called captain regardless of their actual rank. For now, call everyone in uniform sir, but once you're able to identify rank by badge, vitis and assignment, only refer to officers as sir or else it will sound like you're kissing up."

: "How does one become an officer?"

: "By commission only. In times of war, they're handed out more freely, but in a quiet garrison territory like this unless you were born into a wealthy family and can contribute men and arms, your only path to officer is outstanding service. Save a town. Recover an priceless artifact. Something that gets attention. Don't worry about it. There are only 8 Imperial officers that I know of in all of Vvardenfell. Your odds of ever becoming one are slim, and the pay isn't much better anyway."

: "Does anyone outrank the general?"

: "Many thousands outside of Morrowind, but only a few here. Cavortius Albuttian, for example. He operates out of Ebonheart and is in charge of personal protection of Duke Vedam Dren. Above him, the highest ranking Imperial officer in Vvardenfell is Varus Vantinius, Knight of the Imperial Dragon. Like I said, officer titles tend to be unwieldy. If you ever run into them, be sure to call them sir."

: "How many legion troops on the island altogether?"

: "Vvardenfell cohort is small. Only 94 legionnaires in total last I checked, and no equites."

: "Equites?"

: "Mounted troops. The numbers vary, but a more typical cohort would have 480 men and 120 horses. But dunmer eat horses, and the decision was made a long time ago to not bring them in."

: "So minus cavalry, 360 would be typical? And we only have 94? Why so few? Are legionnaires...dying?"

: "No, there's only been one confirmed death of a patrolman on Vvardenfell during my entire service. That was Jax. Good man. Current numbers are simply due to the low priority the island has for garrison forces. Morrowind has more autonomy than most provinces, and the Empire recognizes the realities of the various powers here. We keep the citizens and the Duke safe, we maintain a visible presence to assert dominion, but the various Great Houses and Tribunal forces would get involved if there was any military threat to the island. Simply adding a few hundred more legionnaires wouldn't make much difference. And, between the blight and ashstorms, Vvardenfell is not highly prized post and there's not much here to guard. There just isn't a lot of incentive to bring in legionnaires from the mainland or from other provinces."

: "How many people total on Vvardenfell?"

: "It's a relatively small island, much of it uninhabited. According to the census office, roughly 2500, though the real number is probably much higher. Ashlanders and the Telvanni both tend to ignore census requests."

So officially, nearly one out of 25 people on the entire island are legionnaires, and there are probably another dozen Blades members on top of that. No wonder they're not concerned about having a fully manned unit. Almost five percent of the population is in service of the emperor already.

: "By the way, what was that number the General mentioned when he introduced us?"

: "VV-2819? That's your Imperial designation. You're the 2819th member of Vvardenfell cohort. Even if you're later reassigned to another territory you'll retain that designation."

: "2819? There have only been 2818 legionniares here in the entire history of Morrowind?"

: "No, troops assigned here from other territories would retain their original designations. Only that many have joined the Legion here in Vvardenfell. Remember, Morrowind was never conquered. It joined the Empire peacefully when the Armistice was signed, so there's never been any conscription here. Those 2518 others were recruits who joined willingly. 2500 in roughly 400 years, that's..."

: "About 6 recruits per year. One every two months."

: "That sounds about right."

: "What about-"

: "We're here."

: "I'm assigning you to the bottom bunk, far side. Chest is for top bunk only. Stash any personal belongings under your bed, but keep it tidy, recruit."

This isn't quite what you had in mind, but it is the military. You take off your backpack and put it under the bed. Since the entire building is a guard barracks, it's probably reasonably safe.

Strillian gives you a tour of the rest of the barracks. The mess hall, the quartermaster, and...the training room:

: "Ahh, excellent. When do we begin training?"

: "Personal combat will be week three of your training."

: "Week three? What am I supposed to do for the next two weeks?"

: "Command etiquette, protocol and history of the legion and the Septim dynasty is week one. Week two is marching, formation drills, pacing and drum marching command recognition. Even though we serve in Morrowind as primarily a garrison force, The Legion itself is the backbone of the military of the Empire. All legionnaires must know how to operate as an effective military force should we ever be called to war. Week three is individual combat instruction during which you will be taught the basics of long blade, spear and heavy weapons, as well as the use of shields and heavy armor. Week four you'll learn the specifics of your duties: patrol routes, scheduling, how to file weekly reports, etc."

: "Wouldn't it make more sense to do combat training first? I mean...you do a lot of spear and shield work as part of your formations, right? What's the point of having do learn unit drills without a shield?"

: "Yes, you'll be expected to carry shield and spear on your marches, but combat training comes later. We've found that new recruits often lack the physical strength to effectively wield the weapons of war. Spending a week purely on physical training has served us well well for centuries."

You sit in the barracks doing exactly as Strillian described. You learn how to identify ranks by uniform. You learn how to address officers. You learn how and when to salute. You learn about the history of the Legion and the role it played in the unification of Tamriel. From time to time a legionnaire shows up to requisition something, giving you a  few minutes break while Strillian goes off to fetch or sign for something or another from the storeroom.

During one such break after what seems like a few hours of instruction, a familiar face walks in.

: "Evening, Recruit."

: "Vibius! What brings you here?"

: "That's Patrolman Vibius, Recruit."

: "...err, sorry, sir."

: "Fortunately I'm not on duty."

: "Really? Is it Loredas already?"

: "No, it's Sundas. I go back on duty in a few hours."

You've been sitting in the barracks for 4 days? You're still not used to the time scale here. Granted, what you've been learning has been intellectually interesting, but if the goal was to get stronger, surely you could have found a better use for the time than sitting here in a barracks learning how to be a legionnaire for the empire.

: "My patrol is up, and I've been reassigned to Wolverine Hall near Sadrith Mora. It will be a while before they let you out, but I just thought I'd stop by and let you know."

: "Thanks."

: "See you around, Recruit."

*we've been here for a few days, Micheal, have you felt the need to sleep?

: "I've lost track, but I'm pretty sure it's been over a week now. No, haven't felt sleepy or hungry since I got here. They gave me a bed, but I'm starting to think sleeping is only necessary for healing here."

Speaking of which, you check your calves. Sure enough, those holes in your legs from the rat bites several days ago are still there. Skin hasn't grown over the wounds, there are no scabs, and no sign of infection. It's simply exposed muscle, just like it was when the wounds were fresh.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

What do you do?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 24, 2013, 08:36:51 am »

GM Comment
Incidentally, there will be no update tomorrow night. So I advise you guys to take the time to talk to each other a bit and decide on what you want to do before you rush to make mutually incompatible suggestions. I was surprised to see such a strong consensus to join the legion. That came pretty much out of nowhere. That puts you guys in sort of an inconvenient situation. Basic training is 28 days, and last time I played Morrowind, it only takes about 90 to get all the way through the entire game from start to finish. Last time you considered joining, a couple people pointed out that there are other forces in the game besides you and that you probably don't have forever. Whether or not there are any PCs in the world, do you really think that Dagoth Ur is going to sit around doing nothing for the next year? What was the benefit of joining? You have plenty of other training options, and Supercharazad did the math to show that legion pay for an entire year was only 1200 gold. Compared to, for example, the 500 you were able to make back in episode 21 just by doing a single quest that took only a couple hours of game time.

I don't understand why anyone thought it was a good idea, but it was one of the strongest vote consensuses over the entire course of this game. I'm just the GM, so it's not my place to argue with you. I took your decision seriously, I did research about the nature of roman military upon which Bethesda based their lore for the Imperial Legion, I tried to think very carefully about the logistics of things, and hopefully it was an entertaining read.

But honestly...I think it was a bad move. And I advise you guys to think carefully about what you want to do next.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 24, 2013, 09:10:45 am »

Ninja'd by the GM!

Was I really the only person that thought joining the Legion was bad this time? Damn. It's like the number crunching had the opposite effect on me as it did everyone else. Well, unless you guys wanna go AWOL, piss off the legion, and lose one of our best allies, we're kind of fucked into a hole here. Thieves Guild allowed some autonomy. And with a moon sugar-popping leader, chances are things would be pretty relaxed save for the occasional crazy strung out request that she wouldn't remember anyway.

We can't investigate now either. So here's the only mildly acceptable suggestion I can come up with. Many of you will probably vote against this too, but at least this time I'll definitely understand why :p

While going through Basic, let's try to steal information (troop strength and deployment, status of outposts, things of that nature). Then do something really stupid to get put on Kitchen duty. Mix in some spore pod and bungler's bane with the food and use the ensuing problems to go AWOL. Not everyone will be eating, so figure out schedules and get to know when the most competent legionaries will be in the mess hall as well as the patrols of those who will be on duty during our planned escape. If we plan it right, we should be able to gtfo fairly easily with the stolen documents in tow. Make our way to Ald-Ruhn and sell (or preferably give) the information you collected to House Redoran, stating that the Legion does not want what's best for Morrowind, and that we feel our skills would be of much better use under their banner. Swear fealty to them if we are given the opportunity. If they bring up our betrayal to the Legion (since they are all about honor and that jazz), say it was not you that betrayed the Legion, but the Legion that was betraying Morrowind. Try to become a free agent for House Redoran. As long as we get through combat training before leaving, we should be able to at least handle any proving mission they may send us on.

The way I see it, we need to take some drastic measures to get ourselves back on track. The guilds cannot offer the protection from Imperial backlash for going AWOL that the Houses might, and the other two are out of the question. Telvanni are wizards and we are inept at magic, and Hlaalu, besides their close relationship with the Empire, would sell you out for a quick profit in an instant.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 24, 2013, 10:09:13 am »

Perfect. Now that we've forced some questionably useful information out of the GMs hands, it's time to reset us to status quo.

Michael, the closest thing to a god this world has to offer has spoken to us, informing us that the decision to join the Legion was a terrible mistake, one we will have great difficulty recovering from. But have no fear - there is still a way out for us. With his guidance and protection, depart immediately, and head for the Red Mountain, on foot. Along the way, you will meet the one we must find to set this right. Time is of the essence - every second wasted hastens the possibility of our mistake becoming irreversible.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 161