Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 403748 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.49
« Reply #1530 on: February 20, 2014, 12:02:33 pm »

Oh gods, does that mean we're Celestia or something? D:
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 20, 2014, 12:35:30 pm »

Ponies.

I think the theory is strange enough that it might just make sense...
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: February 20, 2014, 01:23:15 pm »

My personal hypothesis is that we're somehow related to Michael Kirkbride. But the hypotheses are not mutually exclusive.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: February 20, 2014, 08:39:00 pm »

Episode 50: Azura's Star, Revealed

: "I offered an experimental treatment contingent on performing a small errand for me. She has yet to complete it."

First, ask "is that errand, perhaps, to retrieve some dwemer boots of flying?"
I agree with the above
I approve of asking about the errand

: "Would that errand happen to be to retrieve some dwemer boots of flying?"

: "No." Divayth pauses for a moment then raises one eyebrow. "But I did ask another guest for something similar a few weeks ago."

: "Another guest?"

: "Yes. How do you know of this?"

we have arrived from another world
Tell him that we are a traveler from another world and
that we suspect we were brought here by Azura to become the Nerevarine.
Tell him we're, as far as we can tell, from another world, one in which the world of Morrowind and the recent events and such are part of an interactive story, but that Vivec says we're not from another world and that that confuses us as all get-out.

: "It's a little difficult to explain. I'm from another world. Another world where Morrowind is known...exists, kind of...but it's an interactive story rather than a real place. It's a game that players can participate in. I know about some things here but not everything because this world resembles the game world I've played. That's why I'm here, actually. Kind of. I was going to 'play the game' and somehow I ended up falling into it. Literally, I was sitting in my bedroom then the next thing I knew I was falling from the sky and landed in a swamp."

: "So then, you are a daedra?"

: "No, I'm just a human from earth."

: "Human? Earth? What are those?"

: "Humans are my species. And earth is my planet. The world I come from."

: "So you're a daedra. Or from your point of view, everyone here is."

Divayth sets his puzzle box down and picks up a cup of tea and sips from it.

: "While the more anthropocentrically minded might be inclined to think otherwise, The Planes of Oblivion are an infinite sea of possibility and Mundus itself is merely yet another plane among that infinity. Transit between planes is possible. Doors and portals do exist and can be made. Usually with a tremendous expenditure of magicka. Or much less, granted there is mutual cooperation between planes, as with the case of the school of conjuration."

: "Wait...so a 'daedra' is just any being from a different dimension and any conjurer with the right spell can bring people between worlds? So you're telling me that I was summoned to Nirn?"

: "It's not that simple. The conjuration school requires cooperation from both sides. If I summon a golden saint, she comes willingly through a portal I have only half made, not because I have compelled her. And no, I'm not speculating on how you came to be here. The conjuration school is only one means by which the threshold between worlds may be crossed. I'm merely explaining the implications of what you appear to be claiming. The Planes of Oblivion are an infinity of realized possibilities housed within Aetherius. Mundus is one among them. It's been suggested that our world is simply a dream being experienced by a dreamer somewhere, either in Aetherius or another Plane, who's to say? That it might be a game rather than a dream seems similar enough to merely be a question of interpretation."

He politely ignores your confused look and sets his teacup down.

: "So you knew I'd asked a guest to fetch some dwemer boots for me because you'd seen it happen in your game?"

: "Yes. Though in the game, the person you asked for the boots was the same person you gave the antidote to."

: "So then there are differences. In your game does my potion work?"

: "Sort of. It works for one person, then kills everyone else you try it on."

: "I see. Do you know a cure, then?"

: "No, in the Morrowind I know you never succeed in finding a cure. The person it works for, it only works for them because they're the Nerevarine and it's part of the prophecy they're fulfilling."

: "Hmm. Then let's intend that this be another thing different between your version of this world and mine. In my experience prophecies rarely play out as expected, and infinity isn't to be taken lightly. It's altogether likely that there are countless variations of this same conversation being had by other Divayths and other Michaels in other Planes of Oblivion. I'd be hesitant to assume that anything here is as you expect it to be, and even if you did have a corprus cure from your world there's only a small chance it would work here. I'd be happy to try it, of course, but the subtle variation between Planes is a big part of why I don't walk through the Doors anymore. It's possible to spend weeks in a world that superficially resembles your own only to one day discover that some harmless little plant you recognize from your childhood is actually a carnivorous monster intent on eating you the moment it touches your lips. And no one thinks to inform you of this because every child in their world knows it. What did you do after falling into the swamp?"

: "I recognized this as Morrowind almost immediately, so knowing what I know about the game Morrowind, first thing I did was go to see Vivec. He let me in and we talked, I told him I was from another world, but he told me I wasn't, even though he did say I wasn't an Imperial like I look like. But I honestly don't understand a lot of the things he said, and I'm kind of confused on that point. He mostly spoke in riddles."

: "More likely he told you the literal truth as he sees it. Sometimes his view of truth only make sense after a couple centuries of research." Divayth stares into space for a moment with a sour look on his face, then shakes his head. "Though it's curious that he spoke to you at all. How did you get in to see him?"

: "I slipped a note under his door and he let me in."

He laughs.

: "Haha, well, I'll be sure to try that next time I want to see him. But for all my talk of Oblivion, the fact remains that I inspected you myself and you appear to be rather ordinary and not a daedra at all. There are subtle clues in the most basic structure of being that may be seen by those those who know how to look. It is of course possible that you happen to be from a world so similar that even at the most basic level your structure resembles ours. But amidst an infinity of possible worlds, and given your claim to be from a world so different from ours that Nirn is nothing but a dream, it seems unlikely that the basic structure of our magicka would resemble each other's so closely that we would seem to be grown from the same mushroom, as it were. And you say that Vivec himself confirmed you're not from another world. It seems unlikely that we would both be wrong about you."

Ask him what we seem to be, and what was so fascinating about us.

: "Well, ok. I don't have all the answers here, I admit that. But obviously something's going on. I'm pretty sure Vivec doesn't talk to just anybody and even you immediately noticed there was something unusual about me. What was that inspection about? I don't usually get asked to get naked within 5 seconds of meeting someone. What was so fascinating about me that you interrupted yourself mid-sentence to take a look?"

: "You bear Azura's mark. I simply wanted to see what other secrets you might have. It was unlikely the armor would have hidden anything from me, but your minor discomfort was a price I was willing to pay to be sure."

You blink a couple times at that statement before focusing on the important part.

: "Azura's mark?"

: "You didn't know?"

: "Umm...no? I mean, I know who Azura is. But what mark?"

He brings up his left hand and points a finger into the side of your head near your right ear at about eye level.

: "Look here. Right in the middle of your skull at this position."

You close your eyes and focus on your magic vision. You're not really using your eyes to see, so it's not a problem that you're looking basically backwards from them. Actually...you're not entirely sure where the vantage point is when you see magicka. You're not certain it's the eyes doing the seeing at all. Probably not, since it's easier to do with your eyelids closed. Even so, it's difficult to see where he's pointing. There's an awful lot of stuff in the way. It's like looking at the matrix, but your skull and insides are made of the same light you're looking for so there's a lot of interference. It's kind of like trying to make out a stained glass window that's on the other side of a couple other stained glass windows.

: "Here, let me help."

Divath casts a spell and you watch with your eyes closed as a flurry of magicka from his hands envelops you and is absorbed by you. Suddenly you feel smarter, and your vision becomes more clear. You see colors you didn't notice before, and in more subtle variations. Peering back inside your head where Divayth pointed you now clearly see a mark in the form of a tiny eight-pointed star, yellow in the middle with eight orange wavy sunbeams extending from it.

: "Is that...Azura's Star? Like, the artifact?"

He smiles.

: "Very good."

Wait, seriously? "Favored by Azura?" "Born under a certain star and bearing a certain mark?" You've got an Azura's Star mark embedded inside your skull! How could it possibly be more certain?

we suspect we were brought here by Azura to become the Nerevarine.

: "I'm the Nerevarine!" You excitedly blurt out.

His smile turns to an amused grin.

: "Are you, now? Do tell."

Ask politely if Clover was all she appeared to be under similar inspection. May give clues to true Nevarine.

: "Did Clover have the same mark?"

: "No."

: "Have you ever met anyone else who did?"

: "You might say that. Check me."

You close your eyes again and gaze into Divayth's skull. It's more difficult to see into his head than yours, but after some effort you manage to see: Divayth has an eight-pointed star in his head, same mark, same place as you do. Suddenly you feel less certain.

: "But, why? Why would Azura mark you too? Both of us? What does it mean?"

He shrugs.

: "I don't know. I ask every couple centuries, but she won't tell me."

: "Anyone else besides the two of us?"

: "Quite a few, yes. One of my daughters, a good friend of mine with corprus, Vivec, the High Fane, many others. At one time I believed it was a mark of great consequence, as it's usually only individuals of great power or historical significance who have it. But you are hardly a powerful individual, and you're not the first. Some born with it become nothing more than random merchants or adventurers.  I once even met a skooma addict with the mark."

Our advanced technology (demonstrate to him the phone)
Show the mobile phone

You exhale with frustration.

: "Ok. Maybe I am the Nerevarine, maybe I'm not. But regardless of what Vivec says, I'm pretty sure I'm from another world. Take a look at this."

You remove your backpack and fish out your cellphone, thankful that the water didn't destroy it. You flip it open, turn it on and hand it to him. Divayth accepts it and glances at it for only a moment before looking around the room.

: "What is that aura effect? Why is it so irregular?"

: "Umm...what?"

: "This device. It's bathing the room in a weak, irregular aura...of a purpose I cannot identify."

Aura? All you did was turn it on. He holds it up to eye level and examines it.

: "What does this do?"

You glance at the screen. It says it's looking for service.

: "It's called a phone. It's a communication device, but it needs other phones and things to communicate with. Right now it's looking for one."

: "Communication via aura? That seems inefficient. What do these buttons do?"

: "They're for calling other phones. Every phone has a number, and if you dial the number for another phone it will allow you to talk to the person who has that phone. Also some other things. Navigating menus and so forth. Here, let me show you."

You take the phone back and wait for it to finish. Eventually it gives you a menu. No network found and only one bar of power left. You set it to camera mode and hand it back to him.

: "Now, see how it shows you whatever it's aimed at?"

: "Yes, much like a communication crystal, but smaller...and seems to be made of thousands of...what are those?" He squints. "I've never seen liquid enchanted in this manner."

: "Couldn't tell you. I just use it. Aim it at something, then press this button right here."

: "This one?"

: "Yes."

Divayth holds the phone up to you and takes a picture.

: "Ok. It stopped."

: "Yes. You took a picture of me."

: "But now it's just stuck showing me you. Why is that more interesting than what it was doing a moment ago?"

: "Because we can save it, take pictures of other things, then bring them back up again later. We can even take full motion video with sound."

You spend a few minutes showing Divayth the single frame and video capture features on your phone. It occurs to you that you probably could have come up with some useful use for this before now.

: "Fascinating device. Why does it run on lightning?"

: "You mean, electricity instead of magic? This is technology from my world."

DIvayth raises an eyebrow.

: "What do you mean? Electricity is composed of magicka, just like every other magic effect. Surely the enchantment would have been simpler without the conversion."

You start to answer and then you stop yourself. Just a few minutes ago you were looking inside your own skull, made of magicka, and the pretty lights inside your head, also made of magicka.

examine the Magicka of our phone.
Seconding this.

You close your eyes and examine the cellphone. It's a glowing mess of colors. Lots of colors. Some colors...you don't even recognize. It's weird. And every now and then the entire room flashes with some color you don't think you've ever seen before. It's actually a bit disorienting, and with your temporarily enhanced magical vision due to Divayth's spell you're seeing a lot more than you're used to. You see the sun through the ground, your body, Divayth's body, the study and everything in it, the light radiating from the cellphone, colors you don't know the name for...wait...WAIT! Cellphones use, which band is it? Radio waves? Microwaves? It's all EM, just like light. Light is magicka. You're looking at cellphone radiation right now. That must be the aura he was describing. Your cellphone is trying to contact a tower so it's sending out microwave pulses...and you can SEE them.

Divayth catches you as you nearly fall off your feet.

: "Careful."

: "Sorry, just a bit disoriented. Still getting used to this magic vision thing."

: "The enhancement I cast should wear off soon. But you haven't answered my question."

: "The cellphone? It's, well...it's not an enchanted item. It's more like a dwemer device. Yes, it's 'made of magicka' of course, because everything is...apparently. But this was assembled from parts, not enchanted. The electricity that it runs on off was...well, I guess it was made with wires and magnets and things, rather than charged by a spellcaster. No soul gems, or anything like that."

: "Hmm. Apart from the psychomantium I see that it does have a few crystals inside it, but none of them appear to have souls. And they're much too small to be magicka batteries. Most interesting. How much do you want for it?"

: "Excuse me?"

: "This device. I would like to buy it. How does 600 gold sound?"

: "...I could actually really use the money. But I hadn't planned on selling it. Could you go higher? I mean, it's a unique device. The only one of its kind in this dimension."

: "A unique device, the only one of its kind in this dimension...and its primary purpose is to allow the wielder to speak exclusively to people who also have one. I would say that limits its value. But, I would be willing to get a second opinion. You mentioned that it was like a dwemer artifact. Obviously it isn't, but it happens a good friend of mine is a dwemer, and I would be curious to hear what he has to say about it."

: "Yagrum?"

: "In the corprusarium?"

: "No hurting the inmates, but they can hurt me back and I might catch corprus?"

: "Indeed. Or they might simply eat you, in which case I acquire it at no cost. I've seen that happen once or twice. And it's possible that even if you speak with Yagrum he might say that it isn't even worth 600, in which case I might accept his appraisal. Or you can take the 600 right now. Your choice."

He hands the cellphone back to you.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Attributes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipped (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Faction standings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells known (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Alchemy Knowledge (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cellphone storage (click to show/hide)

What do you do?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.50
« Reply #1534 on: February 20, 2014, 09:20:53 pm »

Take it to Yagrum. Even if he thinks it's not worth much, it's bound to reveal something interesting. Best case scenario, he knows how we might recharge it.

Oh, before we go, ask him about literal voices in our head that give suggestions, and if he gets them too.

This is very, very interesting. Azura's marks. Plural, yet Clover doesn't have one. We'll have to remember to check people we know for them.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:23:03 pm by HugoLuman »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: February 20, 2014, 09:37:50 pm »

Ohoho my, that's all deviating from standard metaphysics a bit! That's fun, good and makes me more interested than I already was!

Take it to Yagrum. Even if he thinks it's not worth much, it's bound to reveal something interesting. Best case scenario, he knows how we might recharge it.

Let's consider first: how difficult is the corprusarium to go through? Are we ready for that?

Oh, before we go, ask him about literal voices in our head that give suggestions, and if he gets them too.

Second. Hmhm, Michael thought we were Daedra, while Fyr seems to think everything abnormal is (and I kinda trust him here). Maybe we are daedra?

(Yohoho, I'm feeling giggly today.)

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: February 20, 2014, 11:03:11 pm »

Let's consider first: how difficult is the corprusarium to go through? Are we ready for that?
I just whipped up a character with Michaels stats, and enraged the argonian guy down there, as he should attack us if we go down, because that's what he does to looters, and I assume that he'll attack us either way. Now, I'm pretty sure NPCs will go through cells to get to Michael. And knowing that, I've gotta say no. That argonian can drop Michael in two hits, and will likely follow us to Yagrum. Not to mention, he's faster than Michael. So I'm going to say no unless we can get Divayth to give us something to make sure he doesn't attack. Talking to Yagrum seems like a very good idea though, as I believe he has plane traveled himself.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: February 20, 2014, 11:08:27 pm »

Ninja edit: Vista Kai says he attacks looters. If we're just there for a visit, he might not attack. But if he does attack, he won't attack immediately; he says he enjoys hunting thieves, and fighting them right at the door isn't much of a hunt. Therefore, if he attacks, he'll give us a head start, which should be long enough to reach Yagrum. Bear in mind that he might currently be distracted in hunting clover.

Well, in-game the inhabitants hit fairly hard but due to their deformities are rather slow. As long as we don't try to go for the treasure, which would lead us to stand in a dead end long enough to get trapped, we should be able to reach Yagrum without too much difficulty. The inhabitants of the innermost chamber are more docile. We should be alright as long as we don't get lost.

Speaking of which, here are some directions:
-From the big round door from onyx hall into the corprusarium, go straight
-There'll be a cheap wooden door, where the warden may or may not be stationed. Go through
-Keep going straight until you get to another, more solid, wooden door. Go through
-Go straight until you reach a brazier and a skeletal corpse. In game, there is a docile corprus victim here.
-Turn right, and keep going until you reach Yagrum.

The_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: February 21, 2014, 12:08:12 am »

Hmhm, Michael thought we were Daedra, while Fyr seems to think everything abnormal is (and I kinda trust him here). Maybe we are daedra?

I think that it is fairly safe to assume that we are in fact Daedra by Fyr's definition, since his definition is basically what we would define "alien" as, a creature from somewhere else. For him its from another plane, for us it would be from another planet, etc. Pretty interesting. Also, I think that IronyOwl and the other posters who have mentioned the similarities of the "PC's" to MLP characters have something, I just don't know how much value it has for us. It could support the idea that these are previous incarnations of Michael's Morrowind characters, since he is such a huge fan, or it could be that Michael is actually in the middle of a big multiplayer version of Morrowind that the ponies are playing, and the "PC's" are their characters. Anyway, I am of no help there since I am completely unfamiliar with MLP.

Before I get to suggestions, I also wanted to point out that in my opinion, Azura's mark being placed on us is even greater evidence that Michael is supposed to become the Nerevarine. She clearly has a greater interest in Michael than the majority of people. I wonder how difficult it would be for Michael to find a way to talk to Azura herself? It certainly happens in the video game multiple times, and Fyr seems to be on speaking terms with her on some level, since he said he asks her about the marks every few centuries. Perhaps Fyr could arrange a chat? Of course I understand that asking him to call her up and arrange to have tea is a bit presumptuous and he would probably laugh at Michael, but if we could figure out a good and respectful way to ask it might be worth a shot. At the very least, we should consider making it a long term goal to work on acquiring Moon and Star, whether we decide to try to be the Nerevarine or not it would be useful to have it in order to control who actually does become the Nerevarine and to probably talk to Azura that way.

Lastly, I am all for speaking to Yagrum, but I am worried that it is too dangerous. Definitely if we try it we should ask Fyr whether Vista Kai is going to come after us. Do we want to sell the phone to Fyr? If we could figure out how to charge the phone, it could still be very useful to us. Plus, in the long run, 600 gold really isn't that much. And we dont want to tick Fyr off by selling him a phone that is about to die.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: February 21, 2014, 01:49:04 am »

As Divayth said, the mark doesn't really prove much.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: February 21, 2014, 03:37:32 am »

Bear in mind another difficulty: The Corprasarium is deeper down, and we're out of levitation potions. Even if we get Yagrum's appraisal, we might not be able to get back to Fyr without a bunch of tedious adventures elsewhere.

On that note... I dunno if Yagrum's really going to side with us on this one. As Fyr mentioned, our device is overcomplicated and its primary function doesn't work without copies. The picture and motion picture functions are nice, but he mentioned "communication crystals" that can accomplish the live video feed parts, so it's probably not a huge jump to storing them. It's absolutely a fascinating specimen if you're a bored millenia-old wizard who wants to look at neat toys, but its practical value really is pretty low, even if you know how to recharge it.

Overall, I'm thinking we should probably decide whether to sell it or not before we go see Yagrum, if indeed that's what we're doing. I'm generally in favor of no, partially because I really don't think we're going to accomplish much with the money. Not that we're destined for great things with the phone either, but I figure learning how to recharge it and using it to take pictures could be feasible and useful.

Well, in-game the inhabitants hit fairly hard but due to their deformities are rather slow. As long as we don't try to go for the treasure, which would lead us to stand in a dead end long enough to get trapped, we should be able to reach Yagrum without too much difficulty. The inhabitants of the innermost chamber are more docile. We should be alright as long as we don't get lost.
Do they stop chasing soon enough for us to be safe in Yagrum's presence? Remember that the game isn't likely to pause when we reach him, so they'll have plenty of time to shamble after us if they're so inclined.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: February 21, 2014, 04:09:16 am »

Tell him the world you come from have no magic.

That everything is mundane, even light do not extraordinary properties that allows you overcome limits on reality. Instead, the world you come from have excelled in the art of science and use of machine, the closest equivalent to your society and world would be that of the dwemer (Might be a good idea to inform him that the phone is not dwemer, but that dwemer is the closest equivalent in this world and that the phone is vastly more complex in mundane function than any artifact that the dwemer produced.).

Inform him that among other things you and the people from your world are vastly better at mathematics. Prove it to him.

Like asking him to make you solve a difficult math question or something, whatever works.

Then explain that this have helped create the phone without the use of magic and the phone itself also can perfom mathematics. Show him its calculator function.

That might impress him and up the price.

Accept to have it appraised by Yagrum, use your invisibility potion if you are in trouble

Its probably gonna interest him a lot, especially the calculator function I am sure. Yagrum is a from a race of scientist, so to speak so its probably gonna tickle all the right spots. Just run straight form him and hope for the best. Worst case you die and the world reloads.

Maybe tell Divayth about the whole world reset thing that happens when you die?
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: February 21, 2014, 04:22:35 am »

Bear in mind another difficulty: The Corprasarium is deeper down, and we're out of levitation potions. Even if we get Yagrum's appraisal, we might not be able to get back to Fyr without a bunch of tedious adventures elsewhere.

On that note... I dunno if Yagrum's really going to side with us on this one. As Fyr mentioned, our device is overcomplicated and its primary function doesn't work without copies. The picture and motion picture functions are nice, but he mentioned "communication crystals" that can accomplish the live video feed parts, so it's probably not a huge jump to storing them. It's absolutely a fascinating specimen if you're a bored millenia-old wizard who wants to look at neat toys, but its practical value really is pretty low, even if you know how to recharge it.

Overall, I'm thinking we should probably decide whether to sell it or not before we go see Yagrum, if indeed that's what we're doing. I'm generally in favor of no, partially because I really don't think we're going to accomplish much with the money. Not that we're destined for great things with the phone either, but I figure learning how to recharge it and using it to take pictures could be feasible and useful.

Do they stop chasing soon enough for us to be safe in Yagrum's presence? Remember that the game isn't likely to pause when we reach him, so they'll have plenty of time to shamble after us if they're so inclined.

One of Fyr's daughters hangs out in there, attending Yagrum. I'm sure he wouldn't want to be interrupted in the middle of something, and she says she's good at calming them down. Unless things are quite different, the more lucid, less hostile patients congregate in the "bowels" area, it's the ones in the first area we'd need to worry about. And they really are rather slow and easy to avoid.

It might help our chances if we're explicitly on an errand for Fyr. At the very least that ought to get the warden off our back.

I don't think Yagrum will find our phone particularly valuable, but again that's not the point. What we really want in him is someone who knows things. We know that the dwemer, aside from magic, used some technology similar to our own. There are what look a lot like thermoelectric generators in some of their ruins, and what are almost certainly incandescent/fluorescent lights.

Oh, and to satisfy Fyr, here is some additional information for him:
-The device has the advantage of easy mass-production back home, and not requiring any training to use
-Our people power our technology by taking kinetic energy from things like rivers and wind, and converting it to electrical potential energy.

I believe, in a principal sense, that physics works essentially the same here, in that energy is conserved. That is, to do something, you have to move energy from one place to another. A mundane example would be the chemical potential energy in our muscles being converted to kinetic energy to produce motion. Here, magicka from a reserve becomes lightning and is transferred to a target. The principal is the same. That magical energy gets moved around when used, and in the process dispersed into a less useful state. Some things, like the Princes, may be infinite reservoirs, and others infinite sinks, but interaction still consists of moving energy from one place to another, and changing it from one form to another.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: February 21, 2014, 04:27:19 am »

Inform him that among other things you and the people from your world are vastly better at mathematics. Prove it to him.

Like asking him to make you solve a difficult math question or something, whatever works.

Then explain that this have helped create the phone without the use of magic and the phone itself also can perfom mathematics. Show him its calculator function.

That might impress him and up the price.

Its probably gonna interest him a lot, especially the calculator function I am sure. Yagrum is a from a race of scientist, so to speak so its probably gonna tickle all the right spots. Just run straight form him and hope for the best. Worst case you die and the world reloads.
He's a 5000 year old planeswalking wizard. Unless we can hand him some Calculus theorems he's never heard of before, I really don't think he's going to care about our leet algebra skillz, glorious shining civilization of medicine and science, or our magic multiplication pod. Especially not when he's in agreement with Vivec that we're from here after all.

Maybe tell Divayth about the whole world reset thing that happens when you die?
This could have merit, though.

One of Fyr's daughters hangs out in there, attending Yagrum. I'm sure he wouldn't want to be interrupted in the middle of something, and she says she's good at calming them down. Unless things are quite different, the more lucid, less hostile patients congregate in the "bowels" area, it's the ones in the first area we'd need to worry about. And they really are rather slow and easy to avoid.
She's not necessarily going to be hanging out there 24/7, though. We might want to ask about that before committing to it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: February 21, 2014, 04:32:52 am »

We don't need to show off, we just need to explain. That's what he wants. In some ways, our technology and their magic are very similar. They store energy within their bodies/spirits to use for advanced tasks, we store it within specially constructed machines and perform those tasks with other machines. The operating principles behind both are best understood through mathematics.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 161