Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 407230 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.63
« Reply #2175 on: June 12, 2014, 12:08:07 pm »

Praying to Sheogorath to help us beat Sheogorath might be just crazy enough to work.  And that is the best possible use of that phrase.

Also, ask Sheo if there's any way for you to hide your thoughts from him, so that you can pray in private,
Might be construed as a non-binary question
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: June 14, 2014, 07:41:07 pm »

Praying and mind reading questions just seem like they will be counter productive to me. Using the first 5 questions as a litmus test would be good. Ask 5 safe lore related questions that we already know the answers to (but Michael may not) so we can tell if Sheo is telling the truth.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: June 14, 2014, 08:02:42 pm »

He flat out told us that he doesn't care if he's telling the truth. And even if he tells the truth for those 5 questions, he might not for others, and he might just be wrong.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: June 14, 2014, 10:17:30 pm »

Then what would be the point of the competition if not to give us an opportunity to seek some truths? We could ask if magical items we know to be entombed are still there, for instance. If the point is just to survive to 20 rounds without asking the wrong sort of question if seems like a lost opportunity.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: June 15, 2014, 02:44:54 pm »

Micheal, ignore all stupid and pointless questions!

That will be difficult. Asking pointless questions seems to be the strongest consensus.

I'm surprised that none of you play chess.

Will probably cut off suggestions tomorrow.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: June 15, 2014, 02:46:40 pm »

King-rook split sounds like chess jargon, since King and Rook are used in chess move "castling" together, dunno any more about that...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: June 15, 2014, 03:55:41 pm »

Then what would be the point of the competition if not to give us an opportunity to seek some truths? We could ask if magical items we know to be entombed are still there, for instance. If the point is just to survive to 20 rounds without asking the wrong sort of question if seems like a lost opportunity.
(I could have sworn I responded to this yesterday. Did I post it in the wrong thread?)
The point is to entertain Sheogorath, and probably earn a favor from him if we win.

While from a metagaming perspective this may seem like a perfect time for an exposition dump, in-universe it wouldn't make sense.

This is not an interrogation or an interview. This is a game of the madgod. This isn't "Get 20 free truths, as long as they're asked in binary format." If there's anything to be learned here, it almost certainly won't be as straightforward as the actual answers to the questions.

Michael, let's say, in this case stupid=a non-binary question and pointless=won't help us win this.

I'm surprised that none of you play chess.
IronyOwl already pointed out the most obvious implications of the chess metaphor, so I guess we figured it would be redundant for anyone else to post the same realization.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:01:47 pm by HugoLuman »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: June 17, 2014, 04:20:30 pm »

I'm gonna agree with pray to Sheogorath to help grant us victory. He's the only one that can help us now!

Then ask 5 trivial yes/no questions to see if me get idea of what the actual game is.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: June 17, 2014, 06:01:38 pm »

Obviously we should ask at least three things that we know to be a "yes" and at least one that we know to be false and at least one that Michael may not know but we do to determine the truth value of his replies.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: June 17, 2014, 06:05:02 pm »

Except, being Sheogorath, me might decide to randomly tell the truth or not on a per-question basis.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: June 17, 2014, 06:05:53 pm »

And this test would show that!

But then, he could mess with us by answering every question with a lie or truth there.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: June 17, 2014, 06:40:35 pm »

Or decide to answer honestly for one round, untruthfully for the next, etc.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:50:00 pm by HugoLuman »

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: June 17, 2014, 08:47:37 pm »

True madness doesn't follow a pattern, but I think we can lead him on. Chaos; though infinite by nature can be guided. We just need to ask the kind of questions that... Well to tell you the truth, we haven't talked to him long enough to discern just what his mood is and what ways we might successfully manipulate him by. We'll just have to hope... And pray to Sheogorath.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: June 18, 2014, 10:31:05 am »

Episode 64: Wait, who's my opponent?

Do not let Sheograth know that you've discovered a way to permanently kill Daedra.

: "I'll be sure not to do that."

: "...umm...do what?"

: "To let my pet circle out of the house more often. It doesn't get much excercise, what with having no legs or muscles or any way to move at all. But! More importantly, on with the game! Round one begins NOW!"

#1 if Sheggy intended to make a hot dog pun with his hot dog bun,

: "So, first question: that thing you did with the hot dog bun earlier. Was it your intention to make a pun? Some sort of visual play on words?"

: "No! It was a deliberate attempt to communicate something to you. Excellent start, I completely expected you to blow it on the first question. Well done."

Is a hotdog still a hotdog if it's made of guar?

: "Keeping with the hot dog theme, how about this: is a hotdog still a hotdog if it's made of guar?"

: "Yes, just like it's still a hot dog even if it's cold."

: "Huh. I guess that makes sense."

: "No, it doesn't make any sense at all. That's what I love about hot dogs. That, and the way they bark."

He pulls another hot dog out of his coat and proceeds to stick the entire thing up his nose.

: "Ahh, have you ever wondered if a hot dog slides up my nose where no one else can see it, if it makes a slurping noise? It does! And that sound smells so delicious! Synaesthesia for the win. Next question?"

Have you stopped beating your wife?

: "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

: "No, I have not stopped beating my wife! And not once has anyone who is my wife ever asked me to! That's three in a row! Next question."

what's the goal here? Are we trying to amuse him? Softball him? Make the questions interesting
enough as yes/no that he doesn't feel the need to extrapolate to make them interesting?

: "None of those questions are yes or no questions. You lose the first round. Pity. You were doing so well."

: "What questions? I didn't ask any questions."

: "Yes, you did. You just don't realize it."

: "But, I didn't!"

On the easy side, since he's not obligated to answer any of our questions properly, unless he cuts out his tongue he 'can' answer any of our questions with "yes or no". Even if he chooses not to, he totally could have, so they'd count. (For example: Sheogarath answering "What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?" with "Yes or no" is a possibility, so that question would count as asking one in which he can answer that way.)

: "Ahh, well since you thought of that I suppose I won't do it.

: "Who are you talking to? I didn't say any-"

: "Which is really a shame for you, since if I had done that then every question could have been answered with a yes or no and you'd have won. Oh, well. Makes no difference to me. Now beginning round two!"

Maybe ask him if he can hear YOUR voices.

: "Can you hear the voices in my head?"

: "Yes, and they smell great!"

Sheogorath throws his arms up in the air and cheers, shouting out loud:

: "Michael opens with a great question out the gate for round two, and he scores! Can he recover from his abysmal failure of a first round! Stay tuned to see! Next question?"

: "So if you can hear my voices, then what's-"

Sheogorath looks on eagerly.

: "...yeeeessss?"

Michael stops himself.

Am I insane?

: "Since you know I hear voices, and since apparently you can hear them too...and you're the Prince of Madness, I guess I should ask: am I insane?"

Sheogorath sighs

: "Sadly, no. You're thoroughly outsane. And I suspect you'll still be out when I'm done with you. It's depressing, really. Why do you have to be such a buzzkill?"

: "Umm...sorry?"

: "Can't be answered with a yes or no. You lose round two!"

: "But that wasn't a question!"

: "Then why'd you end it with a question mark?"

: "...what? What question mark?"

: "Since we're between rounds, I'll let that slide."

: "What are you even talking about? We're talking. There are no question marks."

: "Now beginning round three!"

ask Sheo if there's any way for you to hide your thoughts from him

: "Is there any way I can-"

: "No. Excellent! That's seven questions for you. If you'd managed to get all of them in the same round you'd still be losing, but at least I could be proud of you for cheating!"

Nevermind. Pray to Sheogorath to help you defeat Sheogorath.
pray to Sheogorath to help grant us victory
We'll just have to hope... And pray to Sheogorath.

: "Sheogorath...would you...umm, help me win?"

: "Yes! That's two in a row. Maybe you're not as bad at this as I thought."

: "So, you will help me win?"

: "I'm going to disqualify that question. You've already asked it. Asking the same question twenty times might be a good strategy, but it would be terribly boring and I won't have that. Ask something else."

#3 if he has accepted Eris Jesus Christ as his personal lord and saviour yet,

: "Have you accepted Eris or Jesus Christ as your personal lord and savior?"

: "Oh, boolean logic question? Wasn't expecting that. Good show. No, I have not accepted Eris OR Jesus Christ as my personal lord AND savior."

As you watch, Sheogorath transforms into a slender, dark haired woman in a plain purple dress.

: "Curiously the answer is the same even if that was an exclusive or."

: "...Eris?"

: "Yes. And that's four correct in a row. One more to win the third round."

For a moment, Michael is speechless.

: "You're a shapeshifter?"

She smiles kindly at you with an almost motherly gaze.

: "Yes. That's five in a row, which means you win the third round. Well done.

: "Who are you?"

: "Careful, the next round will be starting soon."

what would be the point of the competition if not to give us an opportunity to seek some truths?
If the point is just to survive to 20 rounds without asking the wrong sort of question if seems like a lost opportunity.

: "I'm starting to think we wasted our questions. You don't seem so bad."

You watch as the woman before you lifts her feet off the ground and transforms into a horrific creature of spikes and scales with eyes and mouths across what passes as arms, legs and torso...and possibly some other parts you're unsure of.

: "You would be wise to fear Me, mortal. Far greater powers than you have met their fate at My hand. The forces of man and machine, both young and eldar races alike. Entire worlds have fallen before Me, civilizations slaughtered, species corrupted and destroyed in My name, all mere pawns in the Great Game far beyond mortal ken."

Michael is overcome with awe at the terrible visage before him.

: "...but, you said you would help me?"

The creature again becomes the woman.

: "Yes."

: "Why?"

: "Because you asked."

She shifts into the form of a man.

: "Also, because it's hilarious. You really have no clue what's going on here, do you?"

: "I know a little. I know ponies are involved somehow."

He laughs.

: "Sure, so your favorite little mascots are involved 'somehow,' and that's what this is all about, is that it? Ponies? You really believe that? Look, I know you've got the whole brony thing going on, but if you don't open your mind a little you may end up spending forever going nowhere."

His expression sours.

: "Ponies are overrated anyway.  Speaking of, if you're ever asked to turn into one, don't do it. Do you have any idea how much it hurts having eight legs kicking you all at once? No, I suppose you don't. The final round begins now."

: "But I still have questions to ask."

His clothes and face change once again.

: "So ask them."

He glances at the horizon.

: "And hurry. We don't have much time."

: "Why don't we-"

Sheogorath leans in and smiles.

: "...no, never mind that. I'll ask my questions."

He shrugs.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

What do you do?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.64
« Reply #2189 on: June 18, 2014, 11:04:00 am »

Ah, so there's the catch. Well played, Sheo. We know what to do now. No one phrase any questions except for actual suggestions.

-Do you know what we are?
-Would it be to our benefit to understand more of the big picture here?
-Has Azura been messing with us?
-Are there a lot of foreign influences around here?
-Do you have a goal here?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:30:56 pm by HugoLuman »
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 161