Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Abandoned] Blendorf, a 3D Dwarf Fortress visualiser using Blender  (Read 2466 times)

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Project Vision and scope

Blendorf aims to be a highly customisable 3D visualiser for exported Dwarf Fortress maps.

The following features sets it apart from other visualisers:
  • easy customisability of the art assets
  • easily edit the generated map
  • make raytraced renders of your fortress
  • terrain that makes sense in the context of the game
It is supposed to enable the user to explore and show off his/her fortress and create art based on the game.
The customisability of the terrain itself will be rather limited but textures and models for shrubs, animals etc. can be changed easily.

Current Status and TODOs/planned features

Blendorf is currently far from being in a state that could be described as completed.
  • It only works with Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11 and earlier because they had the mapexport plugin for DFHack, which has not been updated for the Dwarf Fortress 0.40.XX versions. It's probably easiest to use the DFHack lua script interface to make a mapexport script.
  • The terrain generation is declared finished for 0.34.11 maps. Trees and shrubs are preliminary and will be updated with the availability of 0.40.XX maps. Liquids are not implemented yet.
  • Dummy materials are present for all the 0.34 materials. They should have some settings that are simple but look decent (textures like Minecraft might work).
  • Including buildings and units is planned, but first needs a way to export the information to a Blender-readable format (probably a script similar to mapexport).

The project is hosted on github. Because it is not usable with 0.40 maps I haven't made an easy-to-use package with everything included but you can try to follow the Usage/Installation instructions in the readme.

Screenshots

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not very experienced with 3D art so having someone help out with a nice resource pack with materials, and later models for buildings and units, would help a lot.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:14:20 am by JoeJoe »

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Work in Progress] Blendorf, a 3D Dwarf Fortress visualiser using Blender
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 09:31:03 am »

[Reserved]

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 01:06:51 pm »

What do you think of this?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146473.0

It's obviously very similar but has a different approach. Armok Vision is a realtime 3D visualiser from the getgo wheras Blendorf is more or less a Fortress Overseer "clone" that tries to address some of its shortcomings.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 05:40:54 pm »

I have some experiance with hard surface modeling and could help with the buildings/items, but i have no experiance with character modeling,so i wont be able to make creatures.
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons