Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Craft The World  (Read 28233 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Craft The World
« on: May 24, 2013, 05:40:35 am »

Seems like a new Terraria look-a-like is up on steam Greenlight.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=146678001

As far as I understand it, it's sort of a sandboxy tower defense game with crafting.

Craft the World combines the most interesting aspects of sandbox, strategy, and god-simulation games. Explore different worlds populated by dangerous creatures, build a dwarf fortress, gather resources, and craft all the items, weapons, and armor you need.

It sure looks interesting.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:44:03 am by Ultimuh »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Craft The World
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 06:26:27 am »

Not sure if Terraria clone or an upcoming blockbuster...
ptw

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:43:14 am »

It looks almost too good to believe, haha.  :)  Weird that this is the first I've heard of it.

Graphics sure look nice, but I got to wonder if the mechanics are a complete disaster or actually decent.

Edit:  I can't even find a website for it, but it looks like they put too much effort into the graphics for it to be a hoax.  Haha.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:45:25 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 11:17:06 am »

I believe it's from the Russian dev Dekovir.com who are primarily known for cloning casual games. The last major release from them was in 2011 and that would put this timing just about right. This is based on little more than half-assed sleuthing and the worst kind of speculating.

I look forward to seeing it complete at the end of the year but remain half-skeptical.

http://www.dekovir.com/

http://amazingbreaker.com/ (for iphone)
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 11:22:30 am »

This pitch is raising so many red flags for me it's unreal.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:30:24 pm »

Pretty blatant Survivors of Ragnarok clone http://www.desura.com/games/survivors-of-ragnarok

That's actually not a bad thing since SoR has a great concept, but has turned into vaporware.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 12:49:22 pm »

It really is weird how developed it looks for how may red flags it's throwing. If it comes out and actually is what it looks like it is, then I'm onboard.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 12:52:38 pm »

This could be good!

I just hope it's not too colorful, bleh. All those rainbow-building/management games repel me more effectively than a restraining order.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 03:15:10 pm »

Woo, this looks interesting.
Also what is that Survivors of Ragnarok? Is the game dead? Looking on some info and videos the game looks interesting

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 03:39:24 pm »

Yeah, this sounds pretty cool. I like the polished aesthetic better than Children of Ragnarok anyway. Here's to hoping...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 03:47:01 pm »

Looks darn good. i still prefer SoR art style more, but if they keep working on this game actually release a playable build then all the kudos to them.

Rewatching some more. i really disliked those global spells.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:50:53 pm by burningpet »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 04:11:58 pm »

[rant]

Can we as Bay12 stop using <Wellplayedgamename>Clone all the time a game comes out ffs...
We have such a large age group of Gamers we should all know that every game in existence is a Clone of something where it either Improves or Expands on the original idea. FFS RPGs are just fucking 'Pen and Paper' RPGs in digital form...
And if your going to even attempt to put something towards another game to say its a clone of, Terraria is so far from this game that the only thing about it that even looks like Terraria is that its 2d and has blocks. Gods, People went all up in arms about how Terraria was Minecraft just fucking 2d and anything that has a block in it is a fucking Minecraftclone. Want a MinecraftClone LOOK ON FUCKING Android/IOS SHOPS THEY ARE FUCKING FULL OF THEM...

[/rant]

Regardless, if this game does work as it appears to, looks quite good, seems to have even some DF styled mechanics of looking after a group of Dwarves indirectly. The Crafting is kinda ripped from Minecraft though with its 3x3 grid and system of Materials for different parts (though the recipe for their Axe is Minecrafts Hoe.)

Still seems like something to keep an eye on...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 04:18:09 pm »

<game>clone has been a thing for a long, long time. I doubt it stops now ;)

It will end, eventually, when someone pithy and prominent determines a genre and the label sticks. People rarely complain about all the "DOOM clones" these days, after all.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 04:19:31 pm »

"DOOM clones"
Oh I remember some of those!
But mentioning them all would probably derail this thing.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 04:27:17 pm »

"DOOM clones"
Oh I remember some of those!
But mentioning them all would probably derail this thing.
Well if anything all FPS are basically DOOM Clones, heck wasn't Doom itself a clone of something???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6