Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Craft The World  (Read 28324 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craft The World
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 04:55:38 pm »

Yes and the first FPSs after DOOM (including Quake, actually) were all called DOOM clones too, even way back then. It's not new and it doesn't even really imply that the "clone" is a lesser game anymore, just that it has ties to the game it's referencing. It's a useful tool for describing what other games this one is similar to.

Although I have to say, this doesn't really look like a Terraria clone as far as actual gameplay. It's... actually much more in the kingdom management (DF/Gnomoria/Towns, etc) genre, just looked at from the side. I like what I've seen so far.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 06:41:05 pm »

Survivors of Ragnarok still pisses me off. I very, very nearly bought it. But something told me to hang on just a while longer, just until it gets a bit further in development. Glad I did, because it's starting to grow mould and go a funny yellow colour...
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 05:01:59 am »

Just noticed this:

Bastion logo

Their logo

Well... yeah...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 07:21:18 am »

Well that seems kind of.. unsettling..

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 08:03:00 am »

This sort of cloning is what I was referring to earlier when I said they have made a career out of it. They seem to be employing the chinese style of development which is steal assets from 2 or more games and re-release it regionally. Take another look at their site http://www.dekovir.com/
Only a simple mind can be certain.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 12:19:22 pm »

Why cruel world why?! why tease such an amazing concept only to throw it down the bin, twice!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 12:24:03 pm »

To me the big clue in that something was wrong with the game was simply the large block sizes and how they don't seem to relate to one another. Making it more of a minigame.

"But Neonivek if you thought that why didn't you say it?"

I don't always have to say something about everything... It is why I generally stay out of the Creative Projects page unless I have something nice to say.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 04:42:05 pm »

This game is Minecraft's crafting system + Terraria's 2D style + DF's fortress/dwarf controlling components.

Well, at least we're getting more creative at not being original.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 04:54:58 pm »

This game is Minecraft's crafting system + Terraria's 2D style + DF's fortress/dwarf controlling components.

Everything but Pong is just cliche.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 06:44:30 pm »

I know - nothing new under the sun. Don't strike me down for being a little upset that we have ANOTHER block-based game in the world, though.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 07:04:12 pm »

While there is a lot of gray area, to me the social distinction between another game of the same genre (perhaps inspired by games before it) and a 'clone' is the degree of change they put into the new product. 

Technically speaking there may be little difference, but it's in how it's received.  Did you build a better mousetrap? Or did you remake the mousetrap exactly as it is but you are calling it a ratcatch now?

If somebody out there thinks "I like [game], but I think I can do it better.." I say more power to them, it's how we get basically all our games.  If somebody out there says "I like [game] so I'm gonna basically remake it to try to siphon some money off it's fanbase" then.. Well I guess they have the right to do so but I'd have less respect for their finished product.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 07:23:54 pm »

+ Bastion's Logo
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 07:45:47 pm »

I know - nothing new under the sun. Don't strike me down for being a little upset that we have ANOTHER block-based game in the world, though.

Nah, I meant it in jest only.

There is a saying, though. Good artists imitate, great artists steal. If it turns out to be fun, I don't really care if they crib a bit from someone or someones.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

shalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 05:43:23 pm »

bumping this old thread because apparently the game was not vapor ware. It has been green lit on steam and is coming out at the end of this month. Looking through some of their ingame videos i can 't help but be somewhat excited. It is like someone said earlier in the thread a combination of terraria, tower defense, and some of DF concepts. I particularly liked seeing the mechanisms and minecarts... only thing i didn't like too much from the videos is the use of avatar spells, as well as the somewhat blocky and colorful graphics, but i guess if it suits the game i can deal with it.

Thought the part in one of their recent videos where they are showcasing the undead enemy waves, and one skeleton bends over so that the rest can climb on top and jump on a higher ledge to proceed to be quite a nice touch btw.

Kind want to try it.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2013, 06:54:33 am »

I am very skeptical about this as I can not find anything about the developers, no blog, no forum, there is only steam page and that's it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6