Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Craft The World  (Read 28330 times)

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craft The World
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 01:48:49 am »

So far I've given every game of this game a chance and so it will be with this one. (that doesn't mean insta-buy though)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2013, 03:43:35 am »

I'm also a bit averse to the overuse of the word "clone." I'm fine with comparing new games to existing games when there isn't a handy genre label to use, but what's wrong with "-like"? For example, instead of calling this a Terraria clone (which is clearly isn't), why not call it a Terraria-like? When I see the word "clone," I think of an almost-exact copy. There are enough of these around (Tetris and Arkanoid clones, Zelda clones, Mario clones, the internet is full of them) that I think it's valuable to make the distinction between a "clone" and a "-like."

In any case, has anyone pointed out the message from the developers on Steam? I don't know if this removes all doubt, but at least they're making an effort:

Clone or not...
31 JULY - BYTEBREAKER
Dear, friends!

Thank you for supporting our project. In this letter we would like to answer some of your questions.
We do not deny that our project bears some similarities to certain popular games that you have mentioned in your comments. However, it would be unwise of us to miss an opportunity to use and perfect the existing experience in creating and developing similar games.

We did our best to build up the strengths and avoid weaknesses of other games in our project.
Firstly, we have improved the crafting system, which plays the key role in the game. The inventory and recipe book have been combined. You will not have to search for recipes in other places. By clicking an item on the inventory, you will see its recipe on the crafting table. All you have to do is to drag necessary items onto the table. Also, you do not need to drag every single item individually. For example, drag a stone onto the table and then multiply it by a double click right on the table. Moreover, all recipes/items on the inventory have been structured and grouped to make the searching process easier.

Secondly, there is no monotonous click-by-click gathering process. Instead, you can use the indirect control system, which enables you to use several gatherers at once. You do not have to choose an appropriate tool and then click a block a countless number of times to dig it out. Just mark it and a free dwarf will dig it out with an appropriate tool. However, you still can act as an explorer and gatherer. Use a special option which allows you to control any of your gatherers and manage digging.

Thirdly, we did our best to minimize other micromanagement elements of the game. The gamer does not have to find an empty chest to put an item in it and then look through every chest to it. Instead, the gamer can focus on construction planning, exploring and defense which makes it more a strategic game rather than an arcade one.

Fourthly, a magic system has been introduced to rid the game of routine actions and make it more enjoyable. You need to make a big entrance in a rock, just use the dynamite spell. You have to remove a pile of stones left after the explosion, just use a spell. You can find scrolls with spells when exploring the world.

Lastly, realizing that any gamer will sooner or later grow weary of exploring the same place but be reluctant to leave it, we have introduced a system of levels which, on one hand, enables the gamer to save the most interesting worlds and, on the other, offers a range of different planets to choose from. The gamer can inhabit a new world, explore it, adjust his/her defense skills to survive new environments and learn to deal with new monsters.
We promise to keep you informed on other interesting changes and improvements to our project.

Best regards,
Craft the World Team

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 05:58:44 am »

I have nothing to contribute to this discussion, but:

Not sure if Terraria clone or an upcoming blockbuster...
ptw

I see what you did there
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2013, 06:07:56 am »

I don't find it being a clone of anything to be much of a problem. It doesn't even look much like a clone of anything (except perhaps Survivors of Ragnarok, but that's vapourware, so it doesn't count). Being a tower defense game, on the other hand...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 08:49:45 am »

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 01:36:04 am »

I played the demo and thought it wasn't very fun. That's way more of a concern than being a clone :P

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 04:45:43 pm »

It is out on Steam today!

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 05:51:11 pm »

looks like they changed their logo  :P

Must admit it doesn't look too bad.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 06:31:29 pm »

Anyone played it, how is it?

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 06:53:52 pm »

Bought it. I must say that I'm having a lot of fun with it. Nice and slow paced; graphics are beautiful. Crafting tree seems to be huge!
So far I have to say that I like it alot. Controls are ok; Interface is a bit fiddly, but we all know Dwarf Fortress. ;)

ahappydude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2013, 07:08:49 pm »

How big does the crafting tree seem beefy? Just read about the game, seem pretty unique

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2013, 08:01:25 pm »

This game got dull fairly quickly, I wouldn't recommend it. Unless you're easily amused by this genre and willing to sink time into it..
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:03:15 pm by debvon »

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2013, 07:47:11 am »

Crafting tree reminded me of Civ V... Played about 80min or so... I like that the world is randomly generated. :) It looks very polished for an alpha release! Kinda reminded me of "Wiggles" (or Diggles). And defenitely better than "A Game of Dwarves".

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 09:04:45 am »

Has anyone managed to survive the first monster wave? My dwarves could barely handle the goblin siege's first attack, their camp cutting me off from badly needed wood.

The game itself is beautiful though, and I fully agree with the "Diggles" comparison. I'm thinking it's more of a Diggles clone than a DF clone in some aspects. The tile system reminds me of Junk Jack for iOS.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:10:56 am by Rhodan »

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2013, 03:34:26 pm »

Has anyone managed to survive the first monster wave? My dwarves could barely handle the goblin siege's first attack, their camp cutting me off from badly needed wood.

The game itself is beautiful though, and I fully agree with the "Diggles" comparison. I'm thinking it's more of a Diggles clone than a DF clone in some aspects. The tile system reminds me of Junk Jack for iOS.
Yes. Actually I died, but new dwarves spawn until you hit the maximum you've unlocked. I've survived many waves now though.
As for the wood, you unlock the portal magic pretty early on. Use it next to the trees, then your dorfs can teleport there without passing through the camp, and return too. Careful though, it will close after a while and if you aren't done they will take the normal way.

It's a fun game, although I find the tech tree artificially limiting. It can get grindy. I agree with the comparisons.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6