Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hi All! New user on board! Got saved games I can use?  (Read 1431 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Hi All! New user on board! Got saved games I can use?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »

I think your best bet might be just to look through the map archive, as some people have mentioned already - that'll give you a good idea of what large fortresses are like.  Also, if you look through the forums, there are things like succession games that will have save files you can download.  I'd offer you one of my saves, though I don't have any megafortresses - though I'm in the middle of building a massive pyramid at the moment.

Oh, and for the record, we're not all gentlemen. :P

TomJones76

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 08:40:00 pm »

And could there be ANY more appropriate username for someone who notes they're not a gentleman?
Thank you for providing my laugh of the day.

Apropos of nothing, I quote Grand Theft Auto 3:
"He's no gentleman, that one!"

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 12:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Leerok the Lacerta:
<STRONG>I'm also in the process of building a glass tower for my multi-talented mayor.</STRONG>

Curses, your glass tower looks like it could be mightier than mine is/will be.  And my savegame is too unstable to keep playing    :(.  We will see!  WE WILL SEE!!!

Edit: Except I notice that you don't use glass for the floors and stairs as well.  Skinflint!

Edit2:  Be nice to Tom Jones, he might be doing a writeup of the game or something!

[ November 13, 2007: Message edited by: Misterstone ]

[ November 13, 2007: Message edited by: Misterstone ]

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 01:08:00 am »

quote:
Edit: Except I notice that you don't use glass for the floors and stairs as well. Skinflint!

One thing to notice is that only the walls placed on the ground floor, upon which the second floor is based, are made of wood. After that, the walls of the second floor and the third floor are made of green glass. The floors above that are to be made of clear glass. I also place scaffolding made of any material, including ash and potash, since it is temporary, until the glass walls are in place. One cannot place construction walls upon constructed floors, after all.

By the way, what looks like wood on the mostly green glass floor is actually mud-covered green glass. Notice the otherwise unexplainable colour change from wood-coloured to green.

[ November 13, 2007: Message edited by: Leerok the Lacerta ]

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 01:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Leerok the Lacerta:
<STRONG>

One thing to notice is that only the walls placed on the ground floor, upon which the second floor is based, are made of wood. After that, the walls of the second floor and the third floor are made of green glass. The floors above that are to be made of clear glass. I also place scaffolding made of any material, including ash and potash, since it is temporary, until the glass walls are in place. One cannot place construction walls upon constructed floors, after all.

By the way, what looks like wood on the mostly green glass floor is actually mud-covered green glass. Notice the otherwise unexplainable colour change from wood-coloured to green.

[ November 13, 2007: Message edited by: Leerok the Lacerta ]</STRONG>

Nooooo... it can't be... clear glass?  It's not fair!

Wait, you can't construct walls on top of floors?  Uh oh... my tower might not have internal walls then.  Actually, I think I can game this by using windows instead of blocks for the internal walls.  It might make for kinky living conditions, but the Dwarves are already used to living and procreating in crowded communal living areas anyway.  :)

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 06:33:00 am »

All you need for clear glass is a lot of wood and labour.

Anyway, a most recent snapshot of my fort:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1405-glidedwhipped-region1

And you might like to know that you can place constructed walls next to constructed floors, and vice versa. You just can't have the two on the same tile.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Misterstone:
<STRONG>

Nooooo... it can't be... clear glass?  It's not fair!

Wait, you can't construct walls on top of floors?  Uh oh... my tower might not have internal walls then.  Actually, I think I can game this by using windows instead of blocks for the internal walls.  It might make for kinky living conditions, but the Dwarves are already used to living and procreating in crowded communal living areas anyway.   :)</STRONG>

just tear down the floor with [d] [n] and then place a wall in the "open space" it will stay up (presumably wall tilles include floor tiles too)
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Andrew

• Bay Watcher
  • ░░░░░░
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »

May I suggest an alternative to just looking at advanced forts? Reading the history of how some forts got that way, specifically the logs kept for progression games, can be both informative and immensely entertaining.

Where to start? With the history of The Definitive Progression Game.

Boatmurdered
(warning: strong language, insanity, elephants)

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 09:14:00 pm »

Play the game. Learn from the wiki. Get inspiration from other people's maps on the DFMA.

There is nothing more satisfying than setting out a goal of your own, planning it out, implementing it and achieving it.

'Nuff said.

schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

Emperor Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 10:25:00 pm »

I'm afraid I don't have any incredible fortresses right now, but I can give a quick walk through of what I do have.

Main (and only) entrance:

This has stairs going up on all four edges, and going down on the inside corner of each room. There are also pressure plates on the up stairs which trigger flooding from a reservoir above if any enemy steps on them.

Same room, 1 floor up.

Here you have the reservoir with its hatches, ready to fire. It is filled by a pump on the right side. The reservoir can be emptied by turning the pump off to recover the possessions of melancholied dwarves.

one floor up again:

Windmill to power the pump.

1 floor below the first image:

The entrance is at the left, ballista room at the right.
The important thing is that nothing is directly connected to the corridor, Instead the bedrooms (center) and ballista/catapults are both connected to the floor below; the only path an invader can take is to walk the whole corridor, being shot at the whole time, and take the stairs down just before the moat, then it can attack civilians.

And finally the main corridor, one level below the last one:

Big long badass, it's meant to be the main road for all my working dwarves.

My fort has two weaknesses:
1: destroying the windmill and waiting a month will remove my flooding system.
2: Dwarves walk ridiculous distances to work outside. I have not yet built my down-a-vators and all workshops are presently outside.

That's probably where the Noble system came from in the first place - a cold hard calculation to save Dwarven civilization from thermonuclear politician brawls.
Pages: 1 [2]