Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tales of Jornica - The Lonely Dwarves  (Read 5352 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Jornica - The Lonely Dwarves
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 12:54:04 pm »

Do you have containers on the ground that the player can use to store stuff? Meaning, is it the FF style "click a closed check to open it and get the item inside" or more like "click to open the container, here's the container's inventory, swap stuff out?"

Because if you coded in containers, even if they're fixed in place, you immediately have base-camp functionality within the dungeon. Like the camel carrying bananas across the desert, the player could plumb into the dungeon and drop off some supplies, and retreat. Repeat until the base camp is stocked, which allows further exploration.

Or, can you just drop stuff on the ground and it'll stay there?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

kirkington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Spazcosoft - The Lonely Dwarves
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 07:48:53 pm »

Do you have containers on the ground that the player can use to store stuff? Meaning, is it the FF style "click a closed check to open it and get the item inside" or more like "click to open the container, here's the container's inventory, swap stuff out?"

Because if you coded in containers, even if they're fixed in place, you immediately have base-camp functionality within the dungeon. Like the camel carrying bananas across the desert, the player could plumb into the dungeon and drop off some supplies, and retreat. Repeat until the base camp is stocked, which allows further exploration.

Or, can you just drop stuff on the ground and it'll stay there?

Treasure chests behave like they do in Final Fantasy - you interact with them and they give you an item.

Now this isn't entirely true, what actually happens is you interact with them and it runs a script - which will almost always give you an item or some cash.  Now there is an item vault (or there will be, it's in the works) to store items - I can certainly have a "safe" or an NPC that you can interact with that can activate your vault - or you can have multiple vaults, etc.

Perhaps as an additional game mode I could have an infinite dungeon where vaults are key to survival...  :)

kirkington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 08:29:09 pm »

Hi Everyone!

Here's my latest blog posting:
http://www.spazcosoft.com/posts/lonely-dwarves-development-journal-292014/

Here's the new boss orc!

kirkington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 06:09:50 pm »

This week's development journal: goo.gl/R3i485
(or go to www.spazcosoft.com if you don't want to click the goo.gl link - it just helps me count hits)

I included a soundtrack preview for the Gnome Village theme.  Please tell me what you think.  I'm considering doing a full soundtrack release and putting it on BandCamp for "pay what you want" download.  Does anyone have any experience with BandCamp or other services that they could recommend?  Would anyone listen to the soundtrack even?

Thanks for the feedback!

kirkington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 03:53:29 pm »

Progress is being made! 

My first draft of the creation myth is here: goo.gl/1EqJZc

Battle Victory Screen is nearing completion.  It's got animated XP Bars, Fireworks and other fun things.
pic.twitter.com/kY3xt25JsX

I wrote my own pixel font engine and am currently replacing all the not pixel fonts with pixel fonts.  Here's part of the story:
pic.twitter.com/fut1FM2rNU

I'm currently working on using a combination of human and procedural generation, I'm inventing the language of the Dwarves.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 09:29:29 pm »

beautiful
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

kirkington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 04:22:50 pm »

From the depths emerges ... a stale thread. It's been almost three years and I'm proud to announce that a few weeks ago I shipped The Lonely Dwarves on iOS.  There's currently a one day sale in which the game is $0.99 for at least the next few hours.  Check it out here: https://goo.gl/fJNcyw

In the last three years I've worked with an artist to overhaul the game, and am super happy with the results. There's a ton of content and I'm really proud of it.  If you miss the sale or the $0.99 isn't doable right now, ping me, I have some codes set aside for bay12games.  Would love to get feedback.

There are some DF homages in here (no spoilers, but I will say I got Tarn's permission a long time ago to include a history of a legendary dwarf based on him).

I'll get some more screenshots together to a subsequent post.

Also take a look at my sweet youtube video on a tech demo for hue lights based on the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_M7yHa9kc

kirkington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 10:32:44 pm »

One day sale is over, but please, enjoy some free copies (iOS):

76A3XR3ALEPY
AHMYYHRAAKP9
F7XFT33YAY3F
4F7LRWLXYWYN
HJPXMF3WRLYJ

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 10:41:46 pm »

Hey, cheers man! Congratulations on shipping the game and best of luck to you! Seriously, it's a feat to ship what appears to be a quality game.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

kirkington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 10:58:17 pm »

I have some screens to show off.  Much improved monsters and Portraits from previous screenshots. Also created procedurally generated trees and procedurally generated animated clouds for atmosphere.

The Dwarves will find themselves exploring dark caves often.

Grognar's status page and equipment description for the selected item: Skull Boots.  Grognar's favorite.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2017, 01:28:20 am »

alas i am still on android otherwise i would have got this straight away but to celebrate your success i am changing my avatar to Grognar's beautiful new face

kirkington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2017, 01:40:43 pm »

Grognar appreciates it!

kirkington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile