Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Orcs Must Die! Unchained  (Read 5002 times)

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
Orcs Must Die! Unchained
« on: August 27, 2014, 10:11:46 pm »

Searched and didn't find any threads

From the website: https://founders.orcsmustdie.com/
"Orcs Must Die! Unchained is a fast-paced Fortress Siege action game in which teams of heroes battle head-to-head to attack and defend ancient strongholds. For the first time in Orcs Must Die!, teams of players are responsible for both sides of the battle -- building traps to stop the enemy assault AND summoning their own armies to lead against the enemy defense."

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDJzk-72ZwA

It's currently in closed beta atm(no NDA) and they are giving out keys every so often( and on the twitch stream that Nananea does as well as long as you say it's for EU or "merica). I don't have any keys spare sorry :(.

You can get keys from the twitch channel just by asking nicely(and stating region, NA or Europe): http://www.twitch.tv/orcsmustdie/profile

On the PTW(pay to win):You can spend real money on "gold" which can be used to purchase additional card packs(which give random cards guaranteed rare or better, for all card packs), heroes(which can be found in card packs) and Skins(cosmetic only). They have designed the store such that you should have a decent deck to win without paying by the time you hit ranked. you get a card pack every level, + rarer one at 10/20/30 and a guaranteed hero at 40( ranked is unlocked at 39 when it's implemented, you also have a chance to get a hero in a pack, and you can buy more packs with skulls) the only thing money can by exclusively is skins(which have 0 impact on gameplay).

It's reasonably fun, but definitely a WIP.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:54:33 am by tHe_silent_H »
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 11:20:15 pm »

Because it's still beta there is no in-game configuration settings yet. If you're going to play, I strongly urge you to make a few .ini changes immediately after installing. These make the game so so so much better.

First, OMDU/Engine/Config/BaseSystemSettings.ini
ResX=
ResY=

Change these to your desktop resolution, or whatever the highest resolution your monitor can handle.

Second, OMDU/Engine/Config/BaseInput.ini
LookRightScale=0
LookUpScale=0
MouseSensitivity=30.0
bEnableMouseSmoothing=false

There are probably some other good tweaks in there, but these are the ones I found essential.

Regarding the game, as a fan of MOBA's I'm certainly enjoying OMDU. There's some balance issues, with a few heroes being very OP atm. And the most recent patch caused some snowballing issues which they've yet to comment on. It's slightly frustrating grinding out packs to get a decent deck with the knowledge that it will be wiped in a later stage of beta. But on the whole, I'm still really enjoying the game and recommend it to fans of the genres.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 03:02:43 pm »

This game looks like something actually fun to play. PTW.
._.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 04:45:31 pm »

Anyone got a spare key for this ?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 05:14:37 pm »

I'd like a key if anyone has one.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 08:19:49 pm »

This game looks like something actually fun to play. PTW.

On the PTW(pay to win): They designed the store such that you should have a decent deck to win without paying by the time you hit ranked. you get a card pack every level, + rarer one at 10/20/30 and a guaranteed hero at 40( ranked is unlocked at 39 when it's implemented, you also have a chance to get a hero in a pack, and you can buy more packs with skulls) the only thing money can by exclusively is skins(which have 0 impact on gameplay).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:46:10 pm by tHe_silent_H »
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 10:49:50 pm »

ptw probably meant post-to-watch, lol

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 11:34:20 pm »

It looks fun to play, I couldn't care less about the store shenanigans.

Like, you can accidentally jump off a cliff. And die. Can you jump off a cliff and die in Dota 2? Hell no. And this is why this game will be infinitely more fun to play.
._.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 03:44:25 am »

I hope this will not be yet another moba type of game, and that it will be more focused on original.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 04:37:54 am »

ptw probably meant post-to-watch, lol

My bad, still is useful info though, will add to main post now

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 12:11:53 pm »

I hope this will not be yet another moba type of game, and that it will be more focused on original.
It is not just another moba.

The main differences:
1) Fortress-like layouts of the maps, with a lot of height changes (so no giant long flat lanes like in Dota)
2) Instead of artifacts boosting player's powers, they set up typical OMD traps. And buy different troops for offense.
3) In normal MOBA, you hide behind creeps (they act as a meat-shield for you), here, you go before creeps (you act as a meatshield).
._.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 06:55:50 pm »

3-year necro-bump for great justice!

After not playing for a couple years, I reinstalled OMD:U, this time on Steam, to see what progress had been made.
One of the biggest changes, they have added a robust PvE mode since I last played, which feels a lot like the original games except with better matchmaking. I've spent the last week walling off lanes, meticulously laying out killboxes, and then watching the combo-count soar as giblets fly everywhere.

Anyone who tried OMD:U before but was turned off by the MOBA aspects, or those who haven't tried it but like action-tower-defense in general, I definitely recommend giving it a shot.
Edit: Oh yeah, it's free, with cash-shop. The main incentive to spend money is to unlock new heroes, though frugal gamers can unlock them with in-game-currency, requiring about a week of doing dailies for each hero.
Edit 2: The all-heroes bundle is 50% off in the Steam Summer Sale, ending today!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:29:55 am by Folly »

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 07:19:16 pm »

You forgot to mention they cut siege mode, pvp in general. It's what killed my desire to play when they went that route.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 11:48:52 am »

Huh. I may give this a try, if it is free. I enjoyed the first OMD a good bit.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 01:32:00 am »

Not being much of a graphics-whore, I just accepted the default settings after I first installed. But today I finally got around to tweaking the video settings and setting up ReShade, and OMG, it looks so much more prettier.