Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Avorion- Space Sandbox  (Read 27719 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Avorion- Space Sandbox
« Reply #165 on: March 02, 2017, 09:27:35 am »

hm, yeah but what am i looking for? is it generated at game start? or is there a chance it gets generated if i visit a new system? how close to the ring can it be? i have no real

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2017, 09:32:20 am »

each sector it's generated on the first visit, including specials. the whole universe is built on the fly, the game only decides which are 'energy' and which are 'mass' sector, to give your sensor a reading, plus it allocates headquarter when it generates factions

edit:
so, checked on the forums seems a bug recently introduced: https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,2522.0.html
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:36:27 am by LoSboccacc »

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2017, 11:08:02 am »

yeah, i didnt bother with the satellites and just gave me the key.
anyhow, how do i make the asteroid ring appear?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2017, 11:22:21 am »

yeah, i didnt bother with the satellites and just gave me the key.
anyhow, how do i make the asteroid ring appear?

jump hidden mass to hidden mass, the one you're looking for are in sectors that are right next the barrier

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2017, 01:10:39 pm »

all right will do! thanks man :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2017, 01:28:21 pm »

I think the likelihood of plot happening should increase as your ship's material type increases, both in total and in ratio.  So a small xanion ship has less of a change of plot than a huge ship of titanium and xanion - it matters both WHAT it's made of, and HOW MUCH of each material.  It could guide you to plot by putting more emphasis on NPC chatter, like bulletin boards that mention hidden mass sectors more and more, or salesmen who randomly talk about meeting pirates in empty sectors.  Then when you go there, there's a higher chance of those things happening based on your material value.  Some 'NPC Chatter' would be almost essential though, just background lines of chat appearing in the chat box, rumors circulating over wide band radio, ambiently...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2017, 05:27:56 pm »

Exactly, Girlinhat. I'm not sure if I suggested this to the dev, but I also think that talking to NPCs and hearing about rumors and whatnot, should give you much higher chances to bump into things. And most definitely, having higher mass/value should make it even more likely to trigger plot events.

I saw a lot of people on forums saying "Uh, nobody cares about the plot. Just keep playing and you'll eventually find things", it's a pretty lazy argument to defend 100% RNG-reliant events. Not everyone likes to jump around aimlessly, some people might just play it for the plot.

One of the RNG events has a "7 jump limit" or so, which means if you jump 7 times into valid sectors [for that event to happen], it WILL happen on the last jump. However, if during these jumps you bump into a non-valid sector, the counter resets. Needless to say, I could never do 7 valid jumps to guarantee the event spawn, as one of the Hidden Masses would always be a non-valid sector.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 03, 2017, 01:21:19 am »

Isn't one of the events 'warp into a system with no mass or hidden mass'?  Which is to say, as soon as you have enough hyperdrive to care, you'll NEVER jump to empty systems again because why would you?  So unless you know to go random jumping into empty space, that's not something you'd normally ever do.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 03, 2017, 02:55:27 am »

Yeah that's a real problem. Unless you spoiler the game there's no way to find these three quests naturally. It's doubly stupid because everything has a dialogue menu or a message board already so a simple "I heard x lurkes around here in sector of type y" would solve all the issues.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2017, 08:38:28 pm »

tried this game and im surprised by the amount of trading goods avaliable. it will be cool to have a trading ship once there are actually a supply and demand network at a galaxy lvl (it seems systems are frozen in time until you visit them again).

so yeah, cant wait to see an X3-esque system of having to travel several systems because other haulers are messing with my job.

also Boarding. that gonna be good. althought i dont get why do the game needs so much stuff like "war robots" or things like that if they arent really usable in game. oh well it seems its a recurring theme in all Space Sims, having useless resources that are consumed only by the AI and dont have a use for the player.

i like the salvage part, and the hidden mas/energy locations, it reminds me so much of EVE. it would be cool to have an exploration component there tho (why didnt i think of this before? im an idiot)...

anyways the game seems promising for now, gonna wait for the further updates.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2017, 01:15:57 pm »

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

I love building spaceships. You can scale blocks down to .1 to build in intricate detail. It's nuts.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2017, 11:13:56 pm »

I just got this, anyone have a server up?
I got nothing

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #177 on: July 03, 2017, 10:35:35 pm »

kinda bummed because the game is still buggy and crashes on my computer quite often. I tried to submit bug reports but the form sucked, if I made a single error on submission it would not report the bug and start all over, no way I am going to those lengths to do that.

The game doesnt seem to recognize my Nvidia card and i get a warning about my intel card. It should detect the Nvidia like all the other games, but I guess it is not. It crashes when I jump to systems about 30% of the time. Anyone else seen this?

Oh well, I usually have a policy of no early access games and I rarely make an excet=ption. The only time recently was for Ark and that worked out OK i guess.

I got nothing

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 04, 2017, 12:42:24 pm »

I have an Nvidia, I do not have this issue. I have experienced rare (2-3 times total) crashes upon loading in to the game.

I do not have it on full graphics, maybe try that?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]