Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Avorion- Space Sandbox  (Read 27508 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Avorion- Space Sandbox
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2013, 01:56:29 pm »

It did. It crashes with no message so hard to notice. It just silently closes.

Back up now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2013, 08:02:49 pm »

Avorion seems to have a few rather sizable issues with its gameplay. I cannot see how this will be all that enjoyable on release but I am prepared to be surprised.

To save anyone from my ranting I'll stop my commenting here.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2013, 08:19:46 pm »

Avorion seems to have a few rather sizable issues with its gameplay. I cannot see how this will be all that enjoyable on release but I am prepared to be surprised.

To save anyone from my ranting I'll stop my commenting here.
It's an alpha. You could say this about any alpha. It doesn't even have the primary gameplay implemented yet. Right now you just fly around.

This is like seeing an alpha build of an FPS where you just walk around a few rooms and can only shoot one gun and saying you think there are major gameplay issues. I mean... no shit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2013, 08:28:50 pm »

It isn't so much the fact that it is alpha so much that the alpha highlights a major aspect of the game as well as the general feel of the game.

This is like seeing an Alpha build of a FPS where you walk slow, your bullets are slow, and you gain ammo by standing on ammo stations while is slowly refills.

SURE that FPS could be good, but it requires you to go the extra mile in thinking and imagining that they will tweek the walking speed, bullet speed, and add ordinary ammo packs.

Right now the problems with Avorion are ingrained in the gameplay and not its alpha state. Which is why I see problems but I also know it can change. It is also why I didn't really unfold it, because I didn't think my negativity deserved much note.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:46:38 pm by Neonivek »

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2013, 09:37:33 pm »

I'm kind of enthusiastic about this game, I think it has a lot of potential if improved upon, but right now my most pressing concern is the way various materials are treated, as straight tier upgrades from the previous ones. It goes Iron -> Titanium -> Naonite -> Trinium -> Abattium -> Urgium -> Xanion -> Ogonite -> Avorion, that's 9 steps during which the same gameplay repeats, you have to travel to a higher level area, kill friendly ships (?), steal their weapons/mining lasers, and then mine the higher tier of metal, to build a stronger ship to kill stronger NPCs.
Granted, you can probably burn a few steps, but that seems to be the general path laid out for you. I think that as far as upgrades go, 9 tiers is at least 4 too many.

Also, the way ships work means that you're far better off flying a huge monolithic brick than a detailed ship, because each block has it's own HP, and if it breaks, everything attached to it breaks free (premade ships are vastly inferior because of that). So far you can't sell metals or guns, but I hope this will get added to the next version.

What I'd like to see : the ability to build our own stations, some way to research, build and/or buy guns/mining lasers, more modules (like better hyperspace drives, shields, maybe tractor beams and more types of guns)...

If the planets were more than just backdrops, that would be great as well. I'm guessing there are some technical limitations to what would be possible, but even if it was just an abstracted menu where you manage planetary installations and the ownership grants you some sort of income, that would already be great. Maybe this could be done by building a special kind of space station (and you would have to destroy it in order to take over the planet).

Instead of infinite storage, I would also like it if we had a cargo hold block to include in our ship designs (and to stations). This way, trading and stations would take more importance. We can also imagine long-distance travel gates that would have to be built by players with large amounts of resources, so as to link rich core sectors and fringe areas. In general, I think that asteroid mining shouldn't be the best way to get resources, only the most easily accessible. Planetary installations should provide the bulk of resources, otherwise on older, more populated servers, there would be a risk of resource depletion.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:40:10 pm by Sirian »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2013, 09:26:52 am »

I think I am the only one left on the server... But I continue my quest to build better Star Trek federation ships. Even if having nobody to talk to is a bit boring.

Here is Enterprise NX-01 from STar Trek Enterprise. goes to 1280 km/h, has 38000 hull, is made entirely of naonite, with some trinium plates and a titanium engine hidden in the dish.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sadly, the reason I had to upgrade from my old ship ( closer to The Original Series, in its own blocky way) was not the will to be better, but a battle leaving me half dead.
That huge dish does paint a large target... right where the most vital parts are.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2013, 12:56:22 pm »

I was still playing this afternoon (EU time). Here's my current ship (this one is quite ugly because i threw it together as a quick repair that i could battle with).

I think that the reactors are Trinium, the body Titanium and the head Naonite. As you can see it's pretty fast. I'm also using pretty good weapons (around 80k/60k per turret to install), and i recently acquired a dual 505.5 efficiency abatium mining laser (total 1011 efficiency). With it and two others I get a total of 1590 efficiency.
Even the largest asteroids are mined within seconds  :D

As for weapons, I'm currently sporting a 241 dmg/0.2 firerate trinium projectile turret, a 132.9 x2 naonite beam turret and a 47.3/0.1 firerate x2 trinium projectile turret. I'm not exactly sure how much DPS that is but it's pretty good at taking down shipyards.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2013, 01:07:47 pm »

bah! everyone is richer than me :P
I guess using inefficents designs is to fault for that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2013, 02:52:05 pm »

bah! everyone is richer than me :P
I guess using inefficents designs is to fault for that.

Not really... If you know what you are looking for you can spot the asteroids worth tens of thousands.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2013, 03:21:00 pm »

oh, yes. I am hunting for them. The problem is battle. I get murdered easily in battle. gun placement is awkward, and cross section is incredibly large in the direction I am most likely going to offer to enemies.  ( that, and also I haven't played much, and used most of that time building custom enterprises)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2013, 01:33:42 am »

I've not been shot back at yet, and I've played for quite some time, actually. If you want, here's my design:

Spoiler: kinda big images (click to show/hide)

I was just mining gold to upgrade those titanium engines to naonite ones. I will make the ship bigger, but at the same time stay with the cube building style.

EDIT:
Minutes after this post, I found the sexiest looking shipyard ever.
Might be simple, but my gods doesn't it look awesome like that.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 01:41:25 am by FritzPL »

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2013, 10:52:01 am »

I think the server may have broken again.

And just when I was getting to the lofty heights of titanium... :D
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2013, 11:46:47 am »

Its back.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2013, 01:28:16 pm »

Minutes after this post, I found the sexiest looking shipyard ever

That is because it is a boss from another videogame.

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2013, 01:43:02 pm »

Looks promising, but how do I get a ship that doesn't look like a random pile of blocks?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12