Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Caves of the Unknowable--A Game of Exploration  (Read 12477 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of the Unknowable--A Game of Exploration
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2013, 04:44:52 pm »

((I didn't think of sonar, or relays. Or explosives/special/heavy weapons, really. Though yeah, 10 Sonar Mapping Pitons, 25 Perimeter Sentry Posts, 1 Descending Drill Survey Bot (Power: 15/15 Hours), 500 meters of insulated light-duty wire, 200 meters insulated protected heavy duty wire and 20 Relay/Alternators/Transformers/Etc.))
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2013, 05:53:58 pm »

Yev helps with unloading necessary supplies, while humming a tune to himself.

"Боб, check the gravity and compare it with the data from the briefs. Feels off somehow. Also, call up any maps from the same and search for divergencies as soon as we get a detailed scan in."

As described - he will/help set up the scanner after that, as this seems to be the most helpful action to his intermediate goal.

(( As for equipment, it think that most of my needs ought to be in the ominous toolkits. Crane Modul (Power: 5/5 Hours), Burden-Android 300kg-loadable (Power 4/4 Hours) would be all on my front for now. I guess ;3))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2013, 06:07:32 pm »

((We should have the following, I feel.
5 Solaire Photovoltaic Cell Arrays
No sunlight was expected--you're in an asteroid!

2 Condenser Units
1 Heavy Duty Air Compressors
2 Portable Air Compressers
I'd imagined basic life-support built into your suits, but you can't live in them, now can you? Of course, it'll take more than air compression to get a breatheable atmosphere...but the Cart will have something of the sort when the next update rolls along.

3 GIT Industrial Vacuum and Multi-Terrain Construction Robots(v.20.16) (Red, Blue, Green) (Power: 45/45 Hours)
Construction? With what, and why on a temporary scout mission?
What is it you're imagining building?

1 Drill Sampler
Will be specified/added.

2 Shovels
To dig what?

2 Laser Torches
Huh?

2 Picks
I'll consider giving you one.

2 Portable Food Reclamators(Processes foreign matter or grown food into easily edible and nutritious bars; Waste matter is disposed of.)
There's already something like this.

5 Inflatable Pressure Tents (Air supply, Pressurized, Come with an 'airlock' door) (3 meters by 3 meters)
3 Pressure Tents (Air supply, needs to be set up and sealed, then pressurizes itself, no airlock door) (5 meters by 5 meters)
10 Self-Constructing Multi-Purpose Compact Modules (3 meters by 3 meters by 2.5 meters, pressurized)
4 Self-Constructing Multi-Purpose Standard Modules (8 meters by 8 meters by 3 meters pressurized, multiple rooms)
1 Self-Constructing All-Purpose Jumbo Module (15 meters by 25 meters by 10 meters, pressurized, multiple stories, multiple rooms)
Segmented Pressure Tubes (200 meters) (can connect pressurized environments)
That's a lot. I'll add some of it, at least.

3 Pressurized Rescue Balls
Not sure why I didn't think of something like that. Will be added.

5 Large Knives
10 Small Knives
Knives, in some range of number and sizes, will be added.

20 GlowOrb Aerial Illuminators (Power: 5/5 hours)))
Added.

Some explosives would be nice, as well as some kind of special or heavy weapon, like a turret or cannon, for defending the base or demolishing large obstacles.
I'm guessing that we're a bit uncertain as to the purpose of this mission. And possibly the setting.

some sort of sonar mapping device with relay pylons that we can plant as we go.
Something like that will be added.

EDIT:EDIT: 1 Laser Drill :3
Which kind of drill and why?

2 large motion sensors
Some sort of motion sensors will be added.

Space to ground position beacon
I suspect that the rock above your heads would interfere with that...although some kind of ansible would be useful...

25 Perimeter Sentry Posts
Were you thinking sensors or weapons?

1 Descending Drill Survey Bot (Power: 15/15 Hours)
Mind if I ask why?

500 meters of insulated light-duty wire, 200 meters insulated protected heavy duty wire and 20 Relay/Alternators/Transformers/Etc.))
Wire will be added, not quite sure what you mean by the last bit.

((Crane Modul (Power: 5/5 Hours), Burden-Android 300kg-loadable (Power 4/4 Hours) would be all on my front for now. I guess ;3))
Mind if I ask why?

In your answers, bear in mind that you are on a short-term scouting/research mission, and that the managers wouldn't have given you gear for anything else without a good justification.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2013, 06:21:20 pm »

A medium power drill for digging through rock and most tough minerals. And why? Well, we're in an asteroid, right? Dig to find things, get places, make shortcuts, build fortifications or pits, create a reservoir, find water, unearth anomalies, create shelter, etc.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2013, 06:37:07 pm »

Well, yeah, but couldn't we set up a line to the outside? Less atmosphere to interfere with light reaching, after all.

2 Condenser Units
I'd imagined basic life-support built into your suits, but you can't live in them, now can you? Of course, it'll take more than air compression to get a breatheable atmosphere...but the Cart will have something of the sort when the next update rolls along.
Well of course it can't, but compressed air is useful for more than just breathing.

3 GIT Industrial Vacuum and Multi-Terrain Construction Robots(v.20.16) (Red, Blue, Green) (Power: 45/45 Hours)
A base of operations. I had imagined from the sound of it, that they might be needed to set up a port and do heavy lifting and the like for us, so we can get more supplies. I didn't realize we were a temp scout mission...If that's the case, why the 'Port?

1 Drill Sampler
Will be specified/added.
Hurrah!

2 Shovels
To dig what?
Whatever needs digging. I doubt it's entirely hard rock, if there's any atmosphere at all.

2 Laser Torches
Huh?
Like a blowtorch, but cooler.

2 Picks
Good enough.

2 Portable Food Reclamators(Processes foreign matter or grown food into easily edible and nutritious bars; Waste matter is disposed of.)
But it's not portable, now is it?

5 Inflatable Pressure Tents (Air supply, Pressurized, Come with an 'airlock' door) (3 meters by 3 meters)
3 Pressure Tents (Air supply, needs to be set up and sealed, then pressurizes itself, no airlock door) (5 meters by 5 meters)
10 Self-Constructing Multi-Purpose Compact Modules (3 meters by 3 meters by 2.5 meters, pressurized)
4 Self-Constructing Multi-Purpose Standard Modules (8 meters by 8 meters by 3 meters pressurized, multiple rooms)
1 Self-Constructing All-Purpose Jumbo Module (15 meters by 25 meters by 10 meters, pressurized, multiple stories, multiple rooms)
First rule of haggling; ask for more than you want.

Because you haven't been reading Orbital Vector enough.

5 Large Knives
10 Small Knives
Knives, in some range of number and sizes, will be added.
Cool.

20 GlowOrb Aerial Illuminators (Power: 5/5 hours)))
Added.
Hurray! As a note, they work like Zeppelins to float, making use of a variable-size vacuum balloon to reduce their density. Tiny, quiet propellers control direction.

Some explosives would be nice, as well as some kind of special or heavy weapon, like a turret or cannon, for defending the base or demolishing large obstacles.
I'm guessing that we're a bit uncertain as to the purpose of this mission. And possibly the setting.
Explosives are useful in scouting missions, what with getting rid of obstacles so you can continue. Bit over the top, of course.

Cool.

2 Small ones, seem like handheld ones, to help with sample collections and when you need to cut through something really thick.
1 large one, like a jackhammer, for getting really big things out(we don't know what anomalies are or what causes them; ready for anything)

2 large motion sensors
Cool. I think we should have some small ones too.

I suspect that the rock above your heads would interfere with that...although some kind of ansible would be useful...
Do they exist in this setting?

Sensors, they make a net effect where anything crossing without authorization triggers an alert(not an alarm, just something to notify someone)

Mind if I ask why?
See the size, composition, and cave patterns of the asteroid.

500 meters of insulated light-duty wire, 200 meters insulated protected heavy duty wire and 20 Relay/Alternators/Transformers/Etc.))
To be honest, neither was I. Some sort of all purpose seperator/relay.

((Crane Modul (Power: 5/5 Hours), Burden-Android 300kg-loadable (Power 4/4 Hours) would be all on my front for now. I guess ;3))
Mind if I ask why?
Heavy duty lifting, I presume.

In your answers, bear in mind that you are on a short-term scouting/research mission, and that the managers wouldn't have given you gear for anything else without a good justification.
Well now, how's that fun? I thought we were hired by a government as the best of the best. Wouldn't they humor us a bit?

Also, could you explain the setting a bit more?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:40:07 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2013, 07:16:28 pm »

A medium power drill for digging through rock and most tough minerals. And why? Well, we're in an asteroid, right? Dig to find things, get places, make shortcuts, build fortifications or pits, create a reservoir, find water, unearth anomalies, create shelter, etc.
Why would you need those things? Especially since lasers seem like they'd create long, narrow holes.

Well, yeah, but couldn't we set up a line to the outside? Less atmosphere to interfere with light reaching, after all.
...Why would the cells be brought into the asteroid, then?

2 Condenser Units
Well of course it can't, but compressed air is useful for more than just breathing.
Were you thinking of things like the dart guns or am I missing stuff again?

A base of operations. I had imagined from the sound of it, that they might be needed to set up a port and do heavy lifting and the like for us, so we can get more supplies. I didn't realize we were a temp scout mission...If that's the case, why the 'Port?
So you can get back? And so more personnel can get down if needed. And so it's easier to send more missions down, although more Cargo Carts and such will still require the more expensive and difficult teleports.

2 Shovels
To dig what?
Whatever needs digging. I doubt it's entirely hard rock, if there's any atmosphere at all.
...True. Will be added.

2 Laser Torches
Huh?
Like a blowtorch, but cooler.
Ah.
Added.

2 Picks
Good enough.
I've decided to definitely give you one. There's not going to be enough mining that you'd need another, especially if you get a laser drill to make things easier.

It isn't easily portable, but I can't think of any way to do it that would be.

I'll keep that in mind for later demands.

Reading what?

Explosives are useful in scouting missions, what with getting rid of obstacles so you can continue. Bit over the top, of course.
Especially the heavy weapon.

Cool.

2 Small ones, seem like handheld ones, to help with sample collections and when you need to cut through something really thick.
1 large one, like a jackhammer, for getting really big things out(we don't know what anomalies are or what causes them; ready for anything)
The small ones, definitely. The large one...I'll think about it.

2 large motion sensors
Why would they need to be large, anyways?

Probably something based on quantum entanglement, yes. The theories are conceivable with current knowledge, there's probably a way to properly implement them. It also makes sense for the 'Ports.

Sensors, they make a net effect where anything crossing without authorization triggers an alert(not an alarm, just something to notify someone)
Perfectly acceptable.

Mind if I ask why?
Great, now I need to figure out the third dimension...:P

Separator or relay for what?

Well now, how's that fun? I thought we were hired by a government as the best of the best. Wouldn't they humor us a bit?
Probably, but just hiring you and getting all this stuff sent to the asteroid (especially since they're planning on the assumption that they're not getting any of the material back) isn't cheap.

Science-fiction, presumably under some sort of hegemony of Earth but with colonies across the habitable worlds in the Solar System and several uninhabitable ones. The tech is fairly hard sci-fi, with some bending of the laws of reality. Of course, the anomalies are sci-fi softened almost to the point of goo, but no one has figured out how to harness the Anomalies yet. (In part because the ones up top are pretty minor.) Does that answer your questions?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2013, 07:21:00 pm »

Lean against the trolley full of stuff and chill out while the others scout.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2013, 07:29:33 pm »

Mind if I ask why?
Heavy duty lifting, I presume.

Heavy duty lifting fits the bill, but theres more to it. The Crane - mind you, a very small one - can also be used as safe transport of goods and personal for ridges and cliffs. The Android is for ease of transportation of goods, obviously not limited to my area. Change it to something else if you want, but i would strongly suggest some kind of vehicle because else we will be pretty much limited to studying "bigger" samples here and there, far off from the qualities of our labs. Obviously, if we are only the first-line scouts it may be amiss at the moment, but then i would suggest it "for later on".

And yeah, the first briefing was a bit ambigious on some parts - wich you seem to have cleared up by now. Just to give you my point of view anyway; You seem to have a good overal picture of it, but it still eludes us on some parts. Just give enough pointers so that we are on the same page - as we surely don't want to overcomplicate that matter.

Edit: No need to apologize oO - It's just natural for the gm to know more about the setting than the rest. And true enough, without knowing how big of a crowd this setting will gather, being ambigious is part of the trick unless you want to limit access. Anyways, as of now, i would not know what to ask of the setting, else i would already have done so.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:11:44 pm by escaped lurker »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2013, 08:05:07 pm »

And yeah, the first briefing was a bit ambigious on some parts - wich you seem to have cleared up by now. Just to give you my point of view anyway; You seem to have a good overal picture of it, but it still eludes us on some parts. Just give enough pointers so that we are on the same page - as we surely don't want to overcomplicate that matter.
Sorry about all of that. Let me know if there's anything you're still vague on.
Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2013, 08:45:59 pm »

...Why would the cells be brought into the asteroid, then?[/quote]
Shush. I thought there would be at least some outer areas, particularly since this asteroid is either completely sealed in and internally heated, or about the size of pluto.

2 Condenser Units
Were you thinking of things like the dart guns or am I missing stuff again?[/quote]
I was thinking that with a highly combustible atmosphere, pneumatic devices are very important. That, and also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_air ; It's very widely used.

So you can get back? And so more personnel can get down if needed. And so it's easier to send more missions down, although more Cargo Carts and such will still require the more expensive and difficult teleports.[/quote]
In that case, we should still have at least one to help set up the 'Port.

It isn't easily portable, but I can't think of any way to do it that would be.[/quote]
The wonders of miniaturization.

Reading what?[/quote]
This little beauty.

Especially the heavy weapon.[/quote]
Hehehe. Conventional explosives are not advised, by me. HIGHLY COMBUSTIBLE AIR, people. Pneumatic explosives, on the other hand...

2 large motion sensors
Why would they need to be large, anyways?[/quote]
I interpret 'large' as meaning a a few inches across, rather than being a millimeter or so across. And they'd probably have a larger range, an identification system, very sensitive, etc.

Probably something based on quantum entanglement, yes. The theories are conceivable with current knowledge, there's probably a way to properly implement them. It also makes sense for the 'Ports.

Mind if I ask why?
Great, now I need to figure out the third dimension...:P[/quote]
I believe in you.

Separator or relay for what?[/quote]
Electricity. I just don't know much about energy transfer, so I couldn't say specific things, like # transformers, or anything like that.

Probably, but just hiring you and getting all this stuff sent to the asteroid (especially since they're planning on the assumption that they're not getting any of the material back) isn't cheap.
True. But I think we're worth it.

Science-fiction, presumably under some sort of hegemony of Earth but with colonies across the habitable worlds in the Solar System and several uninhabitable ones. The tech is fairly hard sci-fi, with some bending of the laws of reality. Of course, the anomalies are sci-fi softened almost to the point of goo, but no one has figured out how to harness the Anomalies yet. (In part because the ones up top are pretty minor.) Does that answer your questions?
Somewhat. What level of technology is there generally? How fast are ships, is there human teleportation, is there antimatter power? Things like that, though I know you'll just answer the questions I bring up specifically, so...
How many countries are there? I'd be surprised if Earth managed to get it's shit together and form one stable country without it being, like, a incorporation.
Are there rebellions going on for independence across the inhabitable worlds?
What are the general military firearms? Heavy weapons? Artillery?
What are the general civilian firearms?
What is typical ground transportation?
Exactly how advanced are the AIs, and what rules govern them?
Are AIs self-programming?
How long does it take to get to, say, the Moon from Earth?
What means are there for getting into orbit?
Are WMDs still a factor?
How are spaceships used? Are they military yet?
Have we found any evidence of alien life?
Are the oceans inhabited by humans now?
I can keep going...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2013, 08:47:11 pm »

...Why would the cells be brought into the asteroid, then?
Shush. I thought there would be at least some outer areas, particularly since this asteroid is either completely sealed in and internally heated, or about the size of pluto.

2 Condenser Units
Were you thinking of things like the dart guns or am I missing stuff again?[/quote]
I was thinking that with a highly combustible atmosphere, pneumatic devices are very important. That, and also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_air ; It's very widely used.

So you can get back? And so more personnel can get down if needed. And so it's easier to send more missions down, although more Cargo Carts and such will still require the more expensive and difficult teleports.
In that case, we should still have at least one to help set up the 'Port.

It isn't easily portable, but I can't think of any way to do it that would be.
The wonders of miniaturization.

Reading what?
This little beauty.

Especially the heavy weapon.
Hehehe. Conventional explosives are not advised, by me. HIGHLY COMBUSTIBLE AIR, people. Pneumatic explosives, on the other hand...

2 large motion sensors
Why would they need to be large, anyways?
I interpret 'large' as meaning a a few inches across, rather than being a millimeter or so across. And they'd probably have a larger range, an identification system, very sensitive, etc.

Hmm. Okay. Let's get that. A bunch of them.

Mind if I ask why?
Great, now I need to figure out the third dimension...:P
I believe in you.

Separator or relay for what?
Electricity. I just don't know much about energy transfer, so I couldn't say specific things, like # transformers, or anything like that.

True. But I think we're worth it.

Somewhat. What level of technology is there generally? How fast are ships, is there human teleportation, is there antimatter power? Things like that, though I know you'll just answer the questions I bring up specifically, so...
How many countries are there? I'd be surprised if Earth managed to get it's shit together and form one stable country without it being, like, a incorporation.
Are WMDs still a factor?
I can keep going...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:49:49 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2013, 08:57:13 pm »

Why would you need those things? Especially since lasers seem like they'd create long, narrow holes.
Digging doesn't seem like such a bad idea…. Plus it would be great for grabbing samples since you could just stick a scoop or a swab in there. And about making long, narrow holes…erm…isn't that what drills are supposed to do? :L Besides, you could just turn down the intensity and/or make the beam wider, or is that too far-fetched? Really I was imagining a sci-fi laser and not a real one, so if I'm on the wrong page right now just go ahead and say so.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2013, 09:03:24 pm »

Forget explosives, didn't realise the air was volatile. Does that mean our lasers will be useless? Also: pneumatic explosives? What are those?

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2013, 09:09:01 pm »

What level of technology is there generally? How fast are ships, is there human teleportation, is there antimatter power? Things like that, though I know you'll just answer the questions I bring up specifically, so...
Are WMDs still a factor?
I can keep going...
And - truly no offense intended - i'd rather you would not. To put it into more diplomatic words; Do you want GWG to lead a sci-fi-game, or do you want him to create a whole universe just for the sake of the former? As for me, i really dont need a tolkien like background, as long as all the actions we can take are reasonable - and met with such reactions - i will not care why that gun shoots a beam or why there was hugging on the last pages. And - while i may get ahead of myself there - i very much doubt that the others want to get swamped down in realism-induced mechanics in a sci-fi-setting.

As for pneumatic explosives - air pressure - those ought to be safe even in a gas-tank.

Edit:
Hmm.. i would rather hear your opinion than a "hear hear", but oh well. But yeah, now that you mention it - weaponizing pressurized gas sounds easy on the first runthrough.. how to do so as explosives is way beyond my intellect (or area of expertise). But that's why it's sci-fi, right? ;D

Edit#2: Allright, let me rephrase that a bit. While obviously technology should not be too magic-like and overal within reason, having reason behind them is somewhat unnecesary. You don't ask how magic works in a d&d session, now do you? You ask for the spells and abilities that come with it, sure, but not the theory behind it - because whatever you do, it will sound "unrealistic" as it can not be applied to our set of physic laws and whatnot. The same pretty much goes for sci-fi, because we are talking about such high levels of technology, that it as well could be magic. Just think how our tech would look like to someone 100 years ago. The same can easily also be applied to us and the fictional future that we play in right now.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:38:13 pm by escaped lurker »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2013, 09:17:23 pm »

What level of technology is there generally? -snip-
And - truly no offense intended - i'd rather you would not. To put it into more diplomatic words; Do you want GWG to lead a sci-fi-game, or do you want him to create a whole universe just for the sake of the former? As for me, i really dont need a tolkien like background, as long as all the actions we can take are reasonable - and met with such reactions - i will not care why that gun shoots a beam or why there was hugging on the last pages. And - while i may get ahead of myself there - i very much doubt that the others want to get swamped down in realism-induced mechanics in a sci-fi-setting.

As for pneumatic explosives - air pressure - those ought to be safe even in a gas-tank.
Hear, hear.

Pneumatics: still don't get it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7